JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Modules
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- AD&D 1st Edition
    Modules
    Journeyman Greytalker

Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:37 pm  
    Modules

i was just wondering about the canon order of modules. Travis from the introduce yourself thread mentioned doing the A series once his players reached level 4. This is not the first time someone had said they would do the A at level 4. Then there was that comparison betweein 3.5 levels and 1e levels on modules Ts to Gs to Ds to Q.

My original plan was to go to the As from the ToEE. What i had been reading made me stop and check myself. Just pulled out A1-4 Scourge of the Slavelords. For levels 7-11. I open the book and i quote "The winter snows are finally receding. Here, in Hommlet, crocuses crack through the crust of old snow." Did i miss a memo or something?
    GreySage

Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:47 pm  

I may be completely off base on this assumption but here goes:

The Village of Hommlet module is a good starting point for beginners. I think, somehow, the SlaveLords modules (A series, and one of my favorites!) could logically follow thereafter. You may need some small side adventure to help 'level' your characters, but the Wild Coast is chock full of potential homebrew campaigns you could fashion from scratch. Furthermore, I think there is, somehow, a connection between the Slavers and the Temple of Elemental Evil... After the Slavers saga, you can swing back to the ToEE.

just my thoughts,

-Lanthorn
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:36 am  

Lanthorn wrote:

The Village of Hommlet module is a good starting point for beginners. I think, somehow, the SlaveLords modules (A series, and one of my favorites!) could logically follow thereafter...
    \

-I doubt there was any cosmic rationale to it, but the "levelling up" could come after some time in Nulb vs. the TEE proper. The TEE isn't going anywhere, and the mission really isn't time sensitive. The bigger question is why the party would leave.
    GreySage

Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:02 am  

ToEE (including The Village of Homlet/Moathouse) is a beginning level adventure that can take the party all the way to about level 10. The original A series of modules (Slavers) began at about 4th level, but the 2d ed. Slavers supermodule (which is a completely different set of adventures, IIRC) begins at higher levels.

Since the G series (Against the Giants) begins at 8-12th level, it would be a good one to follow ToEE or even the Slavers supermodule. If your players make it all the way through Q1 (Queen of the Demonweb Pits), their PCs will be about ready for the Isle of the Ape. Evil Grin

That's one way to do it. Cool

SirXaris
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:42 am  

excellent sir xaris. That would work perfectly. The isle of the apes would be very entertaining. The crook of Rao is in that module isn't it?
    GreySage

Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:24 am  

YES! And a whole host of prehistoric dangers lurk on that Demi-Plane...it's really just a knock off of Kong Island. But Oonga would TRASH Kong...

Lanthorn, (Godzilla Fan)
    GreySage

Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:04 am  

Lanthorn wrote:
    But Oonga would TRASH Kong...

Put me down for $20 . . . on Kong. Wink Razz

Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:45 am  

Mystic-Scholar wrote:

Put me down for $20 . . . on Kong. Wink Razz

ONLY if Peter Jackson was directing the combat scene!

Me??? I bet on reptiles, each and every time, especially if it's a Toho film! Wink

-Lanthorn, Mesozoic Lover
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:30 am  
    ***a bit of a SPOILER ALERT***

jamesdglick wrote:
    Lanthorn wrote:

The Village of Hommlet module is a good starting point for beginners. I think, somehow, the SlaveLords modules (A series, and one of my favorites!) could logically follow thereafter...
    \

-I doubt there was any cosmic rationale to it, but the "levelling up" could come after some time in Nulb vs. the TEE proper. The TEE isn't going anywhere, and the mission really isn't time sensitive. The bigger question is why the party would leave.

I think there is some rationale with it jamesD and the ToEE mission is time sensitive. Over time the residents of the temple replenish and even grow in numbers. Conceivably if the characters left the temple for an extended period of time (maybe a year?) the nodes would become fully functioning demon producers and then the proverbial **** would hit the fan.

When you consider the fact that ToEE is set in 579 a scant 3 years before the greyhawk wars of '82 the temple must be destroyed or at the very least set back significantly. Imagine for a minute a world of Greyhawk where the temple is alive and producing. We have already had discussions about Iuz, the scarlet brotherhood, the giants, and the trouble in Rauxes. Put a fully functioning temple of Elemental Evil on top of all that and the scales would be tipped significantly. At least until such time as the crook of Rao comes into the picture.

There is more to the temple than just a simple dungeon crawl. Time is a factor and is the reason i have adjusted the level up formula. Still not sure what is best? Gloing to town to train, barter and trade has always been some of the best times. But what happens in the temple while the characters are training? I don't have the time to make all the proper adjustments for time spent away from the temple so we will just have to go with the flow and see how it all turns out.
    Adept Greytalker

Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:21 am  
    A Short Answer

If you want a graph of modules by level:

http://www.acaeum.com/library/addmodchart.html
    GreySage

Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:34 pm  

Nice Raymond, though Isle of the Ape isn't listed.

SirXaris
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:43 am  

Courtesy of Braggi, look HERE for module levels and locations.

Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:08 am  

That is a most wonderful list, Cebrion. Thanks! Smile

SirXaris
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:56 pm  

good lists. Interesting that Cebrions list has the supermodule T1-4 but not A1-4. The solitary A series modules suggest levels 4-7 while Raymond's list has the supermodule A taking characters to level 11. Does anyone have both the individual modules and the supermodule?
    GreySage

Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:32 pm  

I own all four independent modules, but have glimpsed (some time ago) the supermodule. My memory, hazy as it is, is that the supermodule merely combined all four individual modules, with little to no 'reworking,' but I could be totally off on this. Confused

The Slavers module, however, is altogether a different adventure, taking place well after the Greyhawk Wars. But it makes a great follow-up, in my opinion. I have always loved the A series.

-Lanthorn
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:31 pm  

Scourge of the Slavelords has a good amount of additional content, namely an introductory encounter and some encounters for getting from one location to another. There are however a few other extras which further flesh out the Slavers' agents/organization. It is set up as a sequel to T1-4, and expects starting characters of 7th level to end up about 11th level by the end of things.

I think Braggi didn't list T1-4 separately because its parts were never fully separate. I am not sure if A1-4 was left out purposely or not.
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: