JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Movement in Combat
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Movement in Combat
    Journeyman Greytalker

Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:44 am  
    Movement in Combat

How do you guys DM a very fast or at least faster than the PCs monster?

For example the Leucrotta. Mv18". SD kicks hooves in retreat.
    Fighting a Dwarf and a Human. The dwarfs movement is 6" and the human is 12".

Barring multiple attacks/round because of speed does the beast get to use its hooves to retreat in the same round it attacked? Or does it decide to retreat and forgo its attack but still get the hooves? If it does retreat does it just get out of melee weapon range only to turn and attack again?

I think speed would give a huge advantage in battle but how to run it?

neil - gaming this weekend Confused
    GreySage

Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:02 am  

The edition you are using might make a little bit of difference, but I think Initiative is the most important factor.

If the PC wins, s/he attacks first, then the leucrotta has several options for acting on its turn. If the leucrotta wins, it will make its action(s) before the PC gets to act.

So, on the leucrotta's initiative, it may either make a full round of attacks, or retreat. Edition dependent, the leucrotta may, instead, choose to withdraw - that is, make a single attack and back away slowly, fighting defensively. Or, it may turn and flee. This is where I believe the hoof attacks in flight come into play. If it opts to flee, it may make its hoof attacks, then run away at top speed. However, (again, edition dependent) turning to flee at full speed may grant the leucrotta's opponent a free attack at its rear AC.

SirXaris
    Paladin

Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:22 am  

Ditto SirX...
    Would Add a leucrotta not being an "intellectual" creature would consider terrain, presumed strength of opponents as motivators. Remember one of the creatures primary abilities is to mimic the sounds of others, this suggests ambush and deception strategies.

In a more general response, there are initiative modifiers that help amplify the "creatures" speed factors.. again dependent on edition. I have also, depending on the creature and its forms of attack, have divided up its initiative as well.

Lastly if you have access see Dragon #91, it detailed this particular encounter type in an ecology of article.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:39 am  

What Sir Xaris said, and I think the attacker directly to the rear would get a +2(?) on the attack. Not sure of the exact bonus. Been a while since I've looked at the combat section in the 1e DMG.
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:54 pm  

If anybody ever has rules question it should be put in the appropriate rules forum. Why? That tells us what rules system you are using, which means people will actually be able to answer the questions (which we note that people can only guess at). The net result? You will get an answer relevant to the game system you are playing much more quickly. It is also where the thread should have been posted in the first place.

I'll leave it the the OP to re-post the question in the appropriate rules forum, such that they will then get an answer that fits the rules they are using.

Thread closed.
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: