Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - NEW Postfest Village Location Poll, no, really!
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Postfest Forum & Archive
    NEW Postfest Village Location Poll, no, really!

Choose an area.
    Rovers of the Barrrens
    5%
     5%  [ 1 ]
    Stonehold
    5%
     5%  [ 1 ]
    Frost Barbarians
    5%
     5%  [ 1 ]
    Bandit Kingdoms
    15%
     15%  [ 3 ]
    Duchy of Tenh
    5%
     5%  [ 1 ]
    Theocracy of the Pale
    15%
     15%  [ 3 ]
    Bone March
    10%
     10%  [ 2 ]
    Shield Lands
    10%
     10%  [ 2 ]
    County/Duchy of Urnst
    5%
     5%  [ 1 ]
    Nyrond
    10%
     10%  [ 2 ]
    Great Kingdom (North Kingdom)
    5%
     5%  [ 1 ]
    Mountains/Hills (specify in post)
    0%
     0%  [ 0 ]
    Forest (specify in post)
    0%
     0%  [ 0 ]
    Other (specify in post)
    10%
     10%  [ 2 ]
    Total Votes : 20

Black Hand of Oblivion

Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:55 pm  
    NEW Postfest Village Location Poll, no, really!

Well, this area will certainly test the number of poll options. Vote for an area, and mention an area within that area in your posts. Maybe one more poll after this to narrow things down.

Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:30 am  

At the risk of throwing a spanner in the works have we got a "when" for our where as it might affect the choice?

I've got a couple of choices in mind but both were significantly in flux between 576-590+.
    GreySage

Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:11 am  

Duchy of Tenh, southeast of Redspan, along the Artonsamay River, near the Phostwood.

Given all the "current" commotion in the area -- coupled with the past/present mysteries of the Phostwood -- it should make for a lively Adventure Path focus point.

Ragr wrote:
    have we got a "when" for our where as it might affect the choice . . . between 576-590+.

I don't see how that will make a difference in that only significant NPCs are affected by the timeline . . . some of them having been replaced by others via the Greyhawk Wars. Confused

Since our village will be small, with our NPCs being important only with the local area, anyone using our village should be able to drop it into any time period they like.

It would serve well as a way-point on a caravan route between Tenh and Urnst, with the hazards of Stoink. There's the past/present mysteries of the Phostwood. The "current" war in Tenh. It can and will fit any time period. Cool

Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:28 am  

@MS

You may be right. I have a thing for npcs with a convoluted past and the ideas that form come with a time and a place.

So let's set me a new challenge. Forget the time.

There will be angst, however. Wink

I have a mantra for my games; there are no significant npcs other than the ones the pcs interact with. There may be powerful "named" npcs but if the pcs don't have dealings with them they exist only to provide background and verisimilitude to the setting.

@ Ceb

As part of the challenge I'm going to go with whatever others may decide is a good location rather than cast a vote. TBH there are a couple above that I'm negative on but most I'm happy with in equal measure. So, as you asked for which one, rather than which one don't you want, I'll abstain.
    GreySage

Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:31 pm  

My vote went to 'Other'. Here's why.

I think a great place for a village full of ecclectic individuals would be hex T2-62 on the Darlene WoG map. This hex is mostly part of the Flinty Hills, but it is nestled right in against the Gamboge Forest and the Rakers (mountains). It is also on the borderlands between the Bone March, the Theocracy of the Pale, and Nyrond.

In such a location, we have three very different geographical features very close together which offer a basis for not just humanity, but all the demi-human races and many of the humanoid races to be present. We also have it easy explaining many different merchantile pursuits, from logging to mining to shepparding, etc. Being located on a wilderness border between three nations so different in their political and religious views, not to mention the likeliness of nearby elven, dwarven, gnomish, and halfling communities, allows for a very interesting collection of NPCs to be roaming the streets of our potential village day and night.

SirXaris
    GreySage

Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:00 pm  

SirXaris wrote:
    I think a great place for a village full of ecclectic individuals would be hex T2-62 on the Darlene WoG map.

Then why didn't you cast your vote for "Moutains/Hills?" Confused

Doh! Embarassed

Laughing Evil Grin Laughing Evil Grin Laughing Evil Grin

Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:36 pm  

Mystic-Scholar wrote:
    SirXaris wrote:
    I think a great place for a village full of ecclectic individuals would be hex T2-62 on the Darlene WoG map.

Then why didn't you cast your vote for "Moutains/Hills?" Confused

Doh! Embarassed

Laughing Evil Grin Laughing Evil Grin Laughing Evil Grin

Because the point was that the village would be located at the confluence of hexes with mountains, hills, and forests, in between the Bone March, Nyrond, and The Pale. Which of those six options would have best represented my choice of all of them? Razz

Oh, and Mystic, I love your suggested location for the same reason - three (four) different nations (Stonehold, Bandit Kingdoms, The Pale, and the Tenhas) all vying for control. Unfortunately, I see demi-humans of all stripes being rare in such a location and military/political climate. Your suggestion lacks mountains and hills, but has plains, forests, and a major river (which my suggestion lacks). Whether pre- or post-Greyhawk Wars, your location would likely house quite a high number of soldiers, spies, and recruiters from all of the previously mentioned nations.

SirXaris
    GreySage

Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:02 pm  

SirXaris wrote:
    Oh, and Mystic, I love your suggested location for the same reason . . . your location would likely house quite a high number of soldiers, spies, and recruiters from all of the previously mentioned nations.

Ditto for your suggestion, my friend. And you're right about the probable lack of a demi-human population. Didn't think of that because I don't use many demi-humans in my games. Embarassed

But I'm currently writing a story to correct that . . . involves a Gnome Bard! Happy

Humanoids . . . yes! Evil Grin

Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:02 pm  

Mystic-Scholar wrote:
    But I'm currently writing a story to correct that . . . involves a Gnome Bard! Happy

Careful Mystic. You're playing with fire. If that character somehow turns into a half-elven bard, the Dungeon Bastard will find you and chop you into little bits. Razz

SirXaris
    Paladin

Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:05 pm  

I went with Stonefist / Stonehold region,,,, purely for selfish reasons... have need of more detail in the region.. and what mighter place to get insparation than from my fellow muses.
    The area is well fit for wilderness adventure, great rumors, fantastic treasures...
    Such as the whereabouts of the legendary Blades of Corusk. Wink
    GreySage

Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:31 pm  

Dark_Lord_Galen wrote:
    I went with Stonefist / Stonehold region . . . great rumors . . . Such as the whereabouts of the legendary Blades of Corusk.

Actually, the Fist are not great worshipers of Vatun, the LGG doesn't even list him in the "Religion" section. It's the Ice, Frost and Snow Barbarians that worship him and seek the Blades. Wink

The Greyhawk Wiki states: "Vatun is worshiped primarily in the Barbarian States of the Thillonrian Peninsula . . . Legend says that . . . when the fleeing Suel houses of the Fruztii, Cruski, and Schnai had settled the Thillonrian Peninsula, a great barbarian empire was created by the warriors of Vatun, hailed as "the Great God of the North." Vatun himself was said to have granted the title of "Fasstal of all the Suelii" to the king of the Cruski . . ."

http://www.canonfire.com/wiki/index.php?title=Vatun

Still a great area though! Happy

Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:05 pm  

Ragr wrote:
    At the risk of throwing a spanner in the works have we got a "when" for our where as it might affect the choice?

I've got a couple of choices in mind but both were significantly in flux between 576-590+.

..and this has very much to do with the "extra credit" bit I mentioned earlier that would have to do with the utility of the offering to the community as a whole. So, I might as well let everyone in on it.

In the interest of not having a "village throughout time", the time period for the village will be set at 578 C.Y., or WoG boxed set era, as that is really the baseline for Greyhawk. The "extra credit" bit will be roughly as follows:

At the end of your article, detail how your offering would change, if at all, during the time of the Greyhawk Wars and aftermath, up to the year 590 C.Y.

We might need to have one further vote as to the overall fate of the village during that time period, and then everyone will have to write their "extra credit" to fit into it. But, remember that this is "extra credit", such that nobody is required to write this extra bit if they do not want to.

And that is how the overall project may serve to provide more utility for the broader Greyhawk community, regardless of what time period each person might prefer. Let me know what you all think of this idea.

Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:05 am  

Yep, I think that's a fine idea with respect to the timeline, Cebrion.

SirXaris
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:16 am  

Mystic-Scholar wrote:
    Dark_Lord_Galen wrote:
    I went with Stonefist / Stonehold region . . . great rumors . . . Such as the whereabouts of the legendary Blades of Corusk.

Actually, the Fist are not great worshipers of Vatun, the LGG doesn't even list him in the "Religion" section. It's the Ice, Frost and Snow Barbarians that worship him and seek the Blades. Wink

The final Blade was hidden on the shores of the Frozen River in the Hold. Also a renegade group of Suel Barbarians were living in exile in the Hold and their leader held another of the Blades.
    Master Greytalker

Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:51 am  

I have to say, I think that I am going to dislike this Postfest a bit.

I was really into reading the thread, right up until I got to the part about timelines. That's part of the thing that I really have always liked about Canonfire! There's no deliberate preference for one edition, boxed set, folio, era, publisher, or whatever. It's *ALL* Greyhawk.

I don't think that official sanctioning of a particular era or Common Year is a good precedent to set for the website. I am certain that it would be popular with some, but, it will drastically and intentionally alienate others. Especially when one says, in effect, "This is what we want Canonfire content to be, and it's only possible that we'll include other eras."

I think this PostFest has a lot of potential. I like the specificity that's come up. (Like assigning a particular grid coordinate for everything to be set in!) I really like a lot of the brainstorming going on ... that leads to all *manner* of great things when people bonce ideas off each other.
    But, I really don't think that officially limiting (or even implying a limitation) of timelines is a good idea for the website.

Just my two cents. :D
    Owner and Lead Admin: https://greyhawkonline.com<div>Editor-in-Chief of the Oerth Journal: https://greyhawkonline.com/oerthjournal</div><div>Visit my professional art gallery: https://wkristophnolen.daportfolio.com</div>
    Master Greytalker

Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:57 am  

Laughing Dangit! LOL!! Laughing Laughing
    I knew I should've put "Bandit Kingdoms"!! I wanted to be selfish and put it, since I played in the LG Bandit Kingdoms Region!! But, I figured, well, I'll be a little more reasonable than that ... there's a fair amount of LG material from there ... how about one that hardly *ever* gets any love?
    "Rovers of the Barrens, it is! "
    I thought that would be really cool, since they're one of my favorite cultures. I still like that I picked them, it's just that I don't think they're gonna get all that much in the way of votes!!

C'mon everyone!! If you wanna see a fun and interesting culture, vote Rovers today!! Happy
    Owner and Lead Admin: https://greyhawkonline.com<div>Editor-in-Chief of the Oerth Journal: https://greyhawkonline.com/oerthjournal</div><div>Visit my professional art gallery: https://wkristophnolen.daportfolio.com</div>
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:08 am  

Uneducated lurker here. I chose Bone March. I haven't see much done with the area.
    Paladin

Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:25 am  

Mystic-Scholar wrote:
    Dark_Lord_Galen wrote:

True, and was not implying they were, but rumor also states that when Vatun (Iuz) returned he scattered the pieces to remote areas..... thought it seemed possible for one to be there as a "jumping off point" for a group pursuing them.
    Master Greytalker

Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:42 am  

Cebrion wrote:
    Let me know what you all think of this idea.

Great; this is an attempt to do something different for this particular postfest which is vital in keeping things fresh.

This gives the opportunity to design a location with a solid anchor point and then to provide an organic timeline for its development.

That doesn't mean that all future articles need be set in the same timeframe and I'm pretty sure that's not the intention.
    GreySage

Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:13 pm  

Raphael wrote:
    The final Blade was hidden on the shores of the Frozen River in the Hold. Also a renegade group of Suel Barbarians were living in exile in the Hold and their leader held another of the Blades.

You're quite right, that is the way the Module has it. I was merely expressing the thought that neither of those is sufficient reason to base our village there. For all we know -- if we exclude the Module from our reasoning -- one of the Blades lies in the Forgotten City! Shocked

None of our PCs will know until . . . The Adventure Begins! Wink Laughing

Only worshipers of Vatun are interested in reuniting the Blades, as that act will free their God from captivity -- just the act of reuniting them. Someone wanting to unite the Blades simply to acquire their "power," might well find themselves standing before a freed Vatun -- with a lot of explaining to do. So I don't think that a single group of 'renegade Suel' is reason enough for the placement of our village either.

There needs to be more to it than that and, admittedly, other reasons for the choice were given. Anyway, opinions differ and everyone is entitled to theirs. Cool Happy

Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:14 pm  

Icarus wrote:
    I have to say, I think that I am going to dislike this Postfest a bit. ......
    But, I really don't think that officially limiting (or even implying a limitation) of timelines is a good idea for the website.

Icarus.. Artist Extrodinare and fellow Texan... I don't think that is the intent at all my friend.. infact the opposite.... I think the emplied is to have it set to the earlier time so that it could be aged if one desired via the later alturnates....
    If it were built to a latter time line 591 lets say.. with post war GH flavor.. that may not fit into a 573 campaign that has yet to use or may not include those events... I think this is your concern.. that it becomes time specific.. right?
    I thing by benchmarking a start point it sets an overall flavor as to what events may / may not fit in the BASE village..... but doesnt exclude the future for all.....
    I do think Icarus brings a point to all though in not making it specific to one group at the expense of another.... So we as the scribes... must IMO avoid the use of Specific NPCs and such that may or may not exist in someones campaign in the same manner.....
    ie... IMC Mordenkainen in my campaign is a manipulative semi-dark wizard that fights the good as well as the dark.. to maintain the balance of his own plans...
    GreySage

Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:31 pm  

Dark_Lord_Galen wrote:
    I think the implied is to have it set to the earlier time so that it could be aged if one desired via the later alternates . . .

Agreed. Maldin and I have discussed this before. We need to bare in mind that official Greyhawk begins in the year 576 CY. Therefore, Cebrion's suggestion of a setting of 578 CY leaves room for almost everything that's ever happened in Greyhawk to . . . happen.

Dark_Lord_Galen wrote:
    If it were built to a latter time . . . that may not fit into a 573 campaign that has yet to use or may not include those events . . .

Of course, given the "official" Greyhawk starting year, this would only apply in a "Home-brew" game anyway. Wink

Dark_Lord_Galen wrote:
    I do think Icarus brings a point to all though in not making it specific to one group at the expense of another . . . So we . . . must IMO avoid the use of Specific NPCs . . .

Absolutely! The only "important" NPCs associated with the village should be those that are "important" to the village! "Important" personages of Greyhawk City, or Gradsul, or Mitrik, et al, should not receive any mention at all. To mention any such would be to take away all "generic" aspects of the village. And that's not what we're trying for here. Cool

Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:17 pm  

Icarus: Thank you for voicing that concern. I hadn't considered it in that light until reading your post.

I do think that DLG and Mystic have it right - that we should all write our parts as they pertain to the city in 578 CY, but mention possible/suggested changes as they occur throughout the Greyhawk timeline. That way, DMs with campaigns set in any time period have the information they need available to them. Besides, we have such historic information for the City of Greyhawk itself and the rest of the Flanaess via the various publications throughout it's history. Smile

SirXaris
    GreySage

Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:33 pm  

SirXaris wrote:
    . . . we should all write our parts as they pertain to the city in 578 CY, but mention possible/suggested changes as they occur throughout the Greyhawk timeline.

"Master Longbottom Baggins is the Brew Master in 578 CY. In 582 CY he travels to the City of Greyhawk and is waylaid by Orcs, so that his son. Shortleaf Baggins takes over the Brewery."

"In 587 CY, Master Shortleaf Baggins angers a local half-Orc leader of bandits. That summer Master Shortleaf mysteriously disappears. Having no children, his cousin, Merriweather Hairfoot takes over management of the Brewery and changes the name."

Wink Evil Grin Laughing

Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:23 pm  

Mystic-Scholar wrote:
    ...I don't see how that will make a difference in that only significant NPCs are affected by the timeline . . . some of them having been replaced by others via the Greyhawk Wars...

-If you get the salt gatherers (or miners), I want the glassblower. However, the NPC I'm working on (a gnome) is likley to be the sort who would have served in his clan's fighting force before arriving in the village, and would likely serve and fight in the village militia (if they have one). Now, if it's 578, then he'll have had one set of experiences, while if it's 586, he'll have had a different set of experiences. I suspect that such an individual would have an extra level after the Greyhawk Wars.

I'm sure there are other circumstances where the year would make a difference, not just for flavor, but for stats, possessions, etc.

Dark_Lord_Galen wrote:
    Icarus wrote:
    I have to say, I think that I am going to dislike this Postfest a bit. ......

Icarus.. Artist Extrodinare and fellow Texan... I don't think that is the intent at all my friend.. infact the opposite.... I think the emplied is to have it set to the earlier time so that it could be aged if one desired via the later alturnates....
    If it were built to a latter time line 591 lets say.. with post war GH flavor.. that may not fit into a 573 campaign that has yet to use or may not include those events... I think this is your concern.. that it becomes time specific...

-I was going to respond to Icarus, but I think DLG largely covers it except...

You can work the other way, too. I'm using Bastion of Faith (Mithat) in 578, even though it is "set" in 591. I simply put everyone back 23 years. The old guys and gals are younger, or haven't shown up yet (a few weren't even born), a lot of guys would be around in 578 who won't be around in 591, but the place is mostly the same, the organization is mostly the same, and a lot of the people are there (again, just younger). As time goes by, the changes are ready made for me. I just have to introduce them at the right time. Also, of the charcters who aren't there, I can figure out where they were, and fit them into those places.

I'm thinking of doing the same thing with Fright at Tristor in case anyone passes through the Pale.

So, in reality, you have the raw material to take it through time. You just have to convert it.

Icarus wrote:
    ... There's no deliberate preference for one edition, boxed set, folio, era, publisher, or whatever...

-This is the issue which could get tricky.

Going back to my glassblowing gnome, and in keeping with the assumption that it would be for all editions or game systems, I get a little gummed up with their ages. The age categories change drastically between AD&D1 and D&D 3.5.

Like Ragr:

Ragr wrote:
    .. I have a thing for npcs with a convoluted past and the ideas that form come with a time and a place...

...and that gets tricky. Trying to reconcile what a gnome (or other demi-human) did in his past, when the duration of how long he's been kicking can change so drastically, is a problem. In this case, if I tried to reconcile the two, my middle aged gnome ends up as either venerable (and his teeth falling out) or as a whippersnapper. I've decided to stick with the D&D 3.5 standard, but note the age category in my notes so that any DM using other systems can reconcile the background as neccessary.

Cebrion wrote:
    ...At the end of your article, detail how your offering would change, if at all, during the time of the Greyhawk Wars and aftermath, up to the year 590 C.Y.

We might need to have one further vote as to the overall fate of the village during that time period, and then everyone will have to write their "extra credit" to fit into it. But, remember that this is "extra credit", such that nobody is required to write this extra bit if they do not want to...

...I love this sort of backgound stuff.

One of the caveats for the setting is that it shouldn't be a place which gets "whacked" in the Greyhawk Wars or some other disaster.

SPOILER ALERT (Lendore Isles):

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

xxxxxxxxxxxxx If the region had been Lendore, then in 583 the village is
    going to see a significant change, to say the least. Garrotten probably
    disappears, and Restenford probably becomes a Human Theme Park,
    population 50. Confused

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

END SPOILER ALERT

If the village does get whacked, we'd have to be prepared to explain what sort of ruin it becomes, or at least who the new occupants might be... Razz

Mystic-Scholar wrote:
    Duchy of Tenh, southeast of Redspan, along the Artonsamay River, near the Phostwood...

-I think that's the safe part, but my gnome's gonna get a work out. Wink

Icarus wrote:
    ...I knew I should've put "Bandit Kingdoms"!! I wanted to be selfish and put it, since I played in the LG Bandit Kingdoms Region!! :

-Selfishness is what the voting part is for! Laughing

You wouldn't have to worry about it getting "whacked", because it's in a permanent state of "whack". Wink

I'd actually like to see something set in Redhand. That whole period of change when Zeech changed allegiance from the Shield Lands to the Free Companions thing intrigues me...

Icarus wrote:
    ... how about one that hardly *ever* gets any love? "Rovers of the Barrens, it is! "
    I thought that would be really cool, since they're one of my favorite cultures. I still like that I picked them, it's just that I don't think they're gonna get all that much in the way of votes!!

C'mon everyone!! If you wanna see a fun and interesting culture, vote Rovers today!!

...what sort of village would you have among a nomadic people? A trading post? Who runs it (I assume there would have to be a guiding hand)? Doable, but you better give Cebrion a rationale...

And considering what happens in the Greyhawk Wars, it might get "whacked", unless it's run by...

I'm not voting. As I posted on the previous thread, I'd like to see a village related to Quasqueton, which is supposed to be set in either Ratik, Tehn or the Pale.

For the Bone March, Knurl would be interesting.

But I'm not picky on location.

Last edited by jamesdglick on Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:28 am; edited 4 times in total
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:26 pm  

Maybe it's just me, but the width of the response screens seem really long...

well, only on page 1... Razz
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:01 am  

Your Spoiler Alert's X's of DEATH!!! jacked it up. Fixed.

You have the idea on the timeline thing right too. The outcome for the village will be something like this:

For the purpose of establishing the boundaries of any "extra credit" work, vote for one option by completing the following sentence.

The village was...

0 ...lightly affected by the GH Wars.
    0 ...moderately affected by the GH Wars.
    0 ...severely affected by the Greyhawk Wars.

Then we will go from there. Also, as this is not such a stand-alone topic/endeavor, cross-pollination of ideas/topics/locations among authors will be encouraged, and the submissions will be open for some revision once everyone's submissions have been posted and everyone can read them. You are fully free, and encouraged, to conspire with other authors to share info, such that one author's article may have references to another author's article built into it. If that doesn't get done during the writing process, allowances for such will be made after the fact.

For example, say I write an article about Farmer Bubba who is a retired mercenary. Not knowing beforehand what the local tavern will be called, let alone what it will be like (because somebody else is writing up that location), rather than just put "Farmer Bubba likes to hang out at the local tavern." in my article, I can save that bit for later on. Once I have read the local tavern article, such that I now know that it is called The Rusty Blade and who the owner is (MacGruber, who also just so happens to be an ex-mercenary), I can then amend my own offering to be more specifically tied to the community, and write it in as "Farmer Bubba often hangs out at The Rusty Blade, swapping tales with MacGruber about their mercenary pasts. He can be found there most evenings."

Finally, we may even choose to open thing up a bit further and allow people to include more than one location in their submissions, but probably limit things to one main location and two minor locations per submission (ex: blacksmith and two farmsteads).

There you have it.

Last edited by Cebrion on Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:45 am  

Cebrion wrote:
    You Spoiler Alert X's of DEATH!!! jacked it up. Fixed...

-Huh. Who knew? Confused Laughing

Cebrion wrote:
    ...You have the idea on the timeline thing right too. The outcome for the village will be something like this:

For the purpose of establishing the boundaries of any "extra credit" work, vote for one option by completing the following sentence.

The village was...

0 ...lightly affected by the GH Wars.
    0 ...moderately affected by the GH Wars.
    0 ...severely affected by the Greyhawk Wars...

-Hmmm... I'm not sure it's easily amenable to vote. Where it's located would largely determine its fate.

Depending on where it's located, there might be other incidents which affects it, too.

Cebrion wrote:
    ...For example, say I write an article about Farmer Bubba who is a retired mercenary. Not knowing beforehand what the local tavern will be called, let alone what it will be like (because somebody else is writing up that location), rather than just put "Farmer Bubba likes to hang out at the local tavern." in my article, I can save that bit for later on. Once I have read the local tavern article, such that I now know that it is called The Rusty Blade and who the owner is (MacGruber, who also just so happens to be an ex-mercenary), I can then amend my own offering to be more specifically tied to the community, and write it in as "Farmer Bubba often hangs out at The Rusty Blade, swapping tales with MacGruber about their mercenary pasts. He can be found there most evenings..."

-Or, MacGruber's author might decide that MacGruber can't stand Bubba, turning the description into "Farmer Bubba often hangs out at The Rusty Blade, trying to swap tales with MacGruber about their mercenary pasts. MacGruber doesn't feel like talking about his mercenary past with a loser like Bubba. Unfortunately, Bubba is a tough individual, and MacGruber has discovered that slipping him Mikkies just doesn't work..."

The give and take could be have some interesting dynamics.
    Master Greytalker

Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:39 am  

Generally, I agree with all that's being said above.
    *IF* authors put in "extra" information to move the timeline of their article along, it's a cool thing to be able to be *all inclusive*.

the only problem I see is relying on the magnanimity of real-life people. We all have our own preferences, and we have our own likes and dislikes. If we couch it in terms that the "official" time is 578, and allow authors to put in "extra" work, chances are most likely that we are going to be human, and write only what we want to write, and everyone else can either like it or throw it out the window.
    If it's required to be 578, and anything above and beyond that isn't necessary, then it leaves a window for people to be selfish. Now, I prefer to look at the world and believe that (all else being equal) people will do what is right, and best, and good.
    Unfortunately all else is not often always equal.

I think that we should shoot for an edition-less PostFest. And if others want to do additional work to set it in any particular timeline, or all other timelines, then they can. But, it's my personal opinion that this type of PostFest doesn't really need to have edition/era specific material in it, unless the author is goign to do the research to add to the article rather than make the article dependant upon it.

Again, just my two cents,
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:44 pm  

Icarus wrote:
    ...Again, just my two cents,

-That was more than two cents. Wink Laughing

Icarus wrote:
    ...*IF* authors put in "extra" information to move the timeline of their article along, it's a cool thing to be able to be *all inclusive*... If we couch it in terms that the "official" time is 578, and allow authors to put in "extra" work, chances are most likely that we are going to be human, and write only what we want to write, and everyone else can either like it or throw it out the window...

-No matter what time the village is set for, I'd just convert to the time period I need. But that might be a personal idiosyncracy.

Icarus wrote:
    ...If it's required to be 578, and anything above and beyond that isn't necessary, then it leaves a window for people to be selfish...

-I was one of those who originally advocated a year. I later rethought that, thinking that we could create a village which would fit in anywhere in the Flaneass, anytime. But after re-re-thinking it (after Cebrion made his plans for a specific place clear), it occurred to me that we'd end up with a place filled with people had no specific background connected to the campaign, living and working in places with no history.

Maybe the expected "future history" should be a mandatory part of the description? I think anyone dedicated enough to contribute a place and NPCs to the village would be happy to tell "the rest of the story."

Of course, any DM could modify or ignore the "future history" for their campaign, too. Like anything else, the contribution is a suggestion that the DM could change to conform to his campaign.

But suggestions are always nice. Smile

Icarus wrote:
    ...I think that we should shoot for an edition-less PostFest. And if others want to do additional work to set it in any particular timeline, or all other timelines, then they can. But, it's my personal opinion that this type of PostFest doesn't really need to have edition/era specific material in it, unless the author is goign to do the research to add to the article rather than make the article dependant upon it...

-My plan is to stick to descriptive terms in the main body, then add suggested details translating that into D&D 3.5 and AD&D1 stats in my notes. From there, that would give others what they need to translate things as they please. Again, I suspect that things like stats and possessions are suggestions anyway.

Example of NPC Description for CY 578: Siggit Yellowmeadow the Glassblower cares enough for his family [described elsewhere...], but all others can pay cash. He was never a very compelling sort personally, but seems friendly enough, with a stereotypical gnomish mischievous streak blunted by encroaching common sense and an awareness that humans don't neccessarily see things the way he does. He is assisted by his two sons. The elder is an apt pupil of journeyman status, while the other dreams of other things...

When he came of age, Siggit was originally a member of his clan's fighting force [details TBD later], but drifted toward the family trade of glassblower on his off time. He proved a bright pupil, and after working as his older brother's apprentice and journeyman, he moved to The Village, where, after several years, his skills matured to the point where he was rated as a master during one of his frequent trips back home. After that, his trips were dedicated to finding a bride...

He still maintains an interest in military service. He has slown down a lot, buty still strong (for a gnome) and tough despite his fairly advanced years, and belongs to the militia [rank?], claiming that trouble is on the way [if The Village does not have a militia, is trying to form one]...

Example of Description for future: [If there's a militia, he'll stay in, if allowed. If not, he'll try to form one. If war comes, he try to get into the fight in whatever capacity possible. If he does, I haven't decided how he'll fare. Meanwhile, he's one of the few glassblowers in a hundred miles, outside of his family. The older son will stay with the business regardless. I will leave the younger son largely undefined: One of the DM's players might use him as an adventurer.]

Example of Notes for D&D 3.5: Siggit Yellowmeadow Ftr2/Exp2 gnome, 9 STR, 7 DEX, 11 CON, 17 INT, 11 WIS, 10 CHA, 5 COM, Craft (Glassblowing) +7, not including inc. Skill Focus (Glassblowing) or INT bonus... Age 197 years... Neutral in alignment, but will tilt slightly toward teh common village alighnment. He did choose a place amenable to his views...

Example of Notes for AD&D1: Siggit Yellowmeadow 2nd level Gnomish Fighter/Master Craftsman (see Dungeoneer Survival Guide)... Age within 3 years of Venerable [I have to look it up]...

I'm learning a lot about glass and glassblowing:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glassblowing

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glass

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soda-lime_glass

...maybe those gnomes live near a natural silica deposit... Wink
    GreySage

Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:42 pm  

jamesdglick wrote:
    I was one of those who originally advocated a year. I later rethought that, thinking that we could create a village which would fit in anywhere in the Flaneass, anytime. But after re-re-thinking it (after Cebrion made his plans for a specific place clear), it occurred to me that we'd end up with a place filled with people had no specific background connected to the campaign, living and working in places with no history.

That is my concern as well. If we make the village that generic, it won't even be Greyhawk! It could be placed into the Forgotten Realms just as easily. I want specific Greyhawk references and those will be difficult without a time frame to use as a base.

jamesdglick wrote:
    ...maybe those gnomes live near a natural silica deposit... Wink

Or, near a seashore for the sand. Wink

SirXaris
    GreySage

Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:27 pm  

SirXaris wrote:
    If we make the village that generic, it . . . could be placed into the Forgotten Realms just as easily. I want specific Greyhawk references.

That's easily accomplished by giving the NPCs in our write-ups "history." Examples:

1. The family could have originated in a named Greyhawk location:

"His grandfather started the Brewery after migrating to (the village) from Mitrik, in Veluna."

2.He/she could have been the apprentice of known Greyhawk "masters" from one of the Flanaess' major cities:

"He credits the quality of his Mead to the fact that he received his training from no less a personage than Dougal McBain, Guildmaster of the Ostler's and Brewer's Guild and owner of the Brazzen Hippogriff in Greyhawk City." (CoG boxed set, Folks, Fueds and Factions page 36) Wink

3. The glassblower (gaffer) could receive his/her supplies from a known Greyhawk location:

"He is able to make such colorfully diverse chalices because of the various sands he imports from the Blemu Hills."

So there's no need for great concern in this matter. See? And all this time you thought it was going to be . . . hard! Naw! Wink

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:54 am  

Icarus wrote:
    the only problem I see is relying on the magnanimity of real-life people. We all have our own preferences, and we have our own likes and dislikes. If we couch it in terms that the "official" time is 578, and allow authors to put in "extra" work, chances are most likely that we are going to be human, and write only what we want to write, and everyone else can either like it or throw it out the window.
    If it's required to be 578, and anything above and beyond that isn't necessary, then it leaves a window for people to be selfish. Now, I prefer to look at the world and believe that (all else being equal) people will do what is right, and best, and good.
    Unfortunately all else is not often always equal.

The whole point is to allow for people to be selfish, and not force people to write what they do not want to write/have no interest in writing. We also want people who are interested in using any of it to feel free to be selfish too- it is their campaign after all. People's offerings are very much encouraged to be examples of, "If you were to be playing in my campaign, this is what this location would be like, based on which campaign material I have chosen to use." The only imposition is that material beyond 578 C.Y. should be amended to the submission as an update to the base material, which will usually be rather easy to tack on as a few additional paragraphs at most. With that caveat, more people are likely to want to do something, because they know that they can do exactly as much as they want to and not feel pressured to do something that they would rather not. People can even include rules, of whatever edition, or for multiple editions, or none at all. Other than for at least agreeing to write to a certain base timeline, that being 578 C.Y. (just so that there is at least one level of universal utility to the offerings), everyone has a full range of choice in what they want, or do not want, to do beyond that.

Last edited by Cebrion on Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:47 am  

I can't decide on a location, but I'm pretty excited about this. It's similar to the unofficial postfest we had for Seaton and I thought that one went really well.
    Adept Greytalker

Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:59 pm  

I like Sir Xaris's location.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:14 pm  

Nellisir wrote:
    I like Sir Xaris's location.

...which was:

SirXaris wrote:
    ...Other...I think a great place for a village full of ecclectic individuals would be hex T2-62 on the Darlene WoG map. This hex is mostly part of the Flinty Hills, but it is nestled right in against the Gamboge Forest and the Rakers (mountains). It is also on the borderlands between the Bone March, the Theocracy of the Pale, and Nyrond.

In such a location, we have three very different geographical features very close together which offer a basis for not just humanity, but all the demi-human races and many of the humanoid races to be present. We also have it easy explaining many different merchantile pursuits, from logging to mining to shepparding, etc. Being located on a wilderness border between three nations so different in their political and religious views, not to mention the likeliness of nearby elven, dwarven, gnomish, and halfling communities, allows for a very interesting collection of NPCs to be roaming the streets of our potential village day and night...

...I like the reasoning, since it's likely to end up being "ecclectic", but are there other places which meet the same criteria?

I also like Icarus' idea of picking a place which hasn't gotten any attention (Barrens, in his case). Maybe the Great Kingdom?

I'd still like a place which could be plopped down next to module B1 (Search of the Unknown), which would be Tehn or the Pale (or ratik, if you're willing to take it out of area).

So I'm still withholding my vote.

When do the polls close? Laughing Question

Last edited by jamesdglick on Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Paladin

Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:52 am  

jamesdglick wrote:
    ...I like the reasoning, since it's likley to end up being "ecclectic", but are there other places which meet the same criteria?

I also like Icarus' idea of picking a place which hasn't gotten any attention (Barrens, in his case). Maybe the Great Kingdom?

Agree with the general sentiment... versitility.... and places lacking in exposure..
    That is why I went with the Stonehold/Stonefist bunch... other than the Vatun element... not alot generated there either.
    It would also provide oppurtunity for weather related treks ( frozen expanse of the Griff and Rakers Mountains) or Forlorn & Hraak Forests... though could also flesh out the Walled City at Velkstaad on White fang Bay... which at the timeline lie would also provide actions with the Rovers.. and later with Iuz, should a DM wish it.... or Kelton if more remote area is prefered.
    Edit:
    Lastly there is also the legend of Skrellingshald too... (see GH Adventures by James Ward 1988) if we need a city/ dungeon to explore.
    http://www.canonfire.com/wiki/index.php?title=Skrellingshald
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:57 pm  

Dark_Lord_Galen wrote:
    ...Agree with the general sentiment... versitility.... and places lacking in exposure..
    That is why I went with the Stonehold/Stonefist bunch... other than the Vatun element... not alot generated there either...

-There was that village in Howl from the North (WGS2?). Not very detailed, tho'.

Dark_Lord_Galen wrote:
    ...It would also provide oppurtunity for weather related treks ( frozen expanse of the Griff and Rakers Mountains) or Forlorn & Hraak Forests... though could also flesh out the Walled City at Velkstaad on White fang Bay...

-hard core, all around adventuring, not just hack & slash.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:34 pm  

Just guess what I voted for. My reason besides it being the place of Argon's birth. Is that I feel it will present a challenge that will add to the postfest. Not against any of the choices. Just prefer one over the other good luck.

P.S.

Yes I will reveal my choice eventually.

Later

Argon
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:56 am  

Does the place perhaps start with an "n"?

We have 16 votes now, but there might be few more lurking out there, so I am going to let this poll ride for few more days before ending it. If there is a tie, we will have a tie breaker. If not, we'll go on to another poll to further break down the area of the winning region the village will be located in.

Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:26 am  

...and so we have a tie. On to the tie-breaker.
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: