ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Tomb of the Lizard King campaign
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- AD&D 1st Edition
    Tomb of the Lizard King campaign
    GreySage

Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:36 am  
    Tomb of the Lizard King campaign

Greetings All,

Although I primarily stalk the 2e forums, I have LOTS of 1e modules in my collection. Recent talk on a variety of threads has me wanting to run this adventure. However, I will have to make a variety of changes to the existing module to make it "fit" more easily and sensibly. I will share my thoughts and adjustments and ask for some input along the way. More minds are typically better than merely one, and I thank you all for your insight and suggestions.

WARNING: If you intend to play in this module, keep in mind there may be spoilers in this thread, so tread lightly...

Firstly, I intend to alter the location of the module. Although the original write-up doesn't even have an Oerth location for the lizard king's tomb, and subsequent writings have it placed south in the Hool Marshes area, I am altering that to fit my needs. I intend to place the tomb in the Mistmarsh near Greyhawk City as my player has numerous PCs in the Free City. They've recently run afoul a (mis)adventure in the Mistmarsh already (I slightly adapted the Ruins of the Mistmarsh for my needs), so this will give me another chance to pit them against the foulness of that region and the denizens therein. Evil Grin

I am intending to place the actual tomb site somewhere along the western border of the Mistmarsh between the Ery and Neen Rivers, but not exactly sure where specifically at the moment. I need a good logistical place from where Sakatha's minions can launch strikes against the humans dwelling both along those rivers as well as the various villages...and perhaps even Low Ery and/or Erybend. Currently, I am thinking somewhere near one of the smaller streams that fuse into a larger river, but not sure exactly which one at this point. I don't want the tomb site to be right on the edge of the Mistmarsh (I want the PCs to have to delve into the swamp a bit to reach it), but I also don't want it too far deep, either. For those of you with access to the City of Greyhawk boxed set, look to the area map and you will get my meaning.

Secondly, I intend to make the clerical leaders of the brigands and bandits serving Sakatha followers of Erythnul, NOT some general 'demon worshippers.' To me, this is a logical choice. Followers of Erthynul would not mind working with a monstrous ally (and Sakatha's powers could also 'sway' their minds, too) to plunder, pillage, and enslave their fellow humans. I have a smaller group of clerics of Wastri as a back-up from my previous campaign, but intend to use them for other purposes in league with Sakatha.

However, here is my dilemma (but I think I may have a solution): I was originally intending to have the brigands and their clerical leaders mounted on horseback to strike out against their targets (outlying farms, etc), but horses and swamps do NOT mix. The tomb itself is also not conducive to mounts, so the brigands would either have to stable them outside the swamp (but where?)...OR these brigands could use boats from which to stage their attacks, like Vikings. Their loot, and slaves, could then be loaded on the boats and taken back to the swamp, and thus, Sakatha's tomb. The only problem with this is that most boats cannot nagivate even the small tributaries leading to and from the Mistmarsh. Perhaps only a minor issue, but I like to think things through without contrivances. Of course, if the boats have shallow enough bottoms (rafts?), maybe not a problem.

Thirdly, wondering what stats to give Sakatha, primarily his Intelligence (given that he is a 9th lvl wizard!). He's already smarter than the average, typical lizard king, and, according to The Complete Book to Humanoids a lizard man can have an Intelligence as high as 17, thinking he should be at least a 14 or more.

If more questions or issues arise, will add them in future posts, but these are the main ones thus far. I think I've everything else worked out.

thank you,

Lanthorn

Last edited by Lanthorn on Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
    GreySage

Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:25 am  

Lanthorn wrote:
    The only problem with this is that most boats cannot nagivate even the small tributaries leading to and from the Mistmarsh.

Why do you think that we extremely intelligent Coon-Asses (a.k.a. "Cajuns") use Pirogues?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pirogue

And just what do you think is meant by the song's mention of: "Pole the Pirogue down the bayou?" You thought "paddle?" In one foot of water -- sometimes a mere 6 or 8 inches of water -- "paddle?" Shocked

Not hardly. Mad

You stand in the flat bottomed Pirogue with with an 8 to 10 foot pole and push your way through the Swamp. You will move a great deal faster than Adventurers traveling on foot. Evil Grin

And in spite of the fact that there is such a small amount of water under the "keel," a Pirogue can carry a considerable amount of weight. Wink Wink

(And here I thought you had a REAL problem! Tsk! rolleyes )

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:53 am  

Good tip. I have seen a pirogue before while watching "Swamp People" (the folks who harvest alligators in Louisiana).

-Lanthorn
    GreySage

Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:44 pm  

Excellent! Of course, they do "carry" paddles, for when they are in "deeper" water. They sit and paddle.

Two or three men poling -- or paddling -- and you will find yourself with a relatively "rapid" means of travel through swamps, all while carrying a considerable amount of plunder and/or slaves/hostages. Evil Grin

Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:20 pm  

Mystic-Scholar wrote:
    Two or three men poling -- or paddling -- and you will find yourself with a relatively "rapid" means of travel through swamps, all while carrying a considerable amount of plunder and/or slaves/hostages. Evil Grin

...or horses.

Remember the Mel Gibson movie, The Patriot? They used boats to get t6o their hide-out deep in the swamp, but made their raids from horseback, mostly. They must have kept their horses hidden in a drier portion of the swamp or with friendly locals. Perhaps a small thorp just happens to have a few dozen horses stabled. It seems every poor villager has at least one horse. The truth is that these people are sympathetic to the brigands and keep their horses for them while the brigands hide deeper in the swamp.

SirXaris
    GreySage

Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:11 pm  

SirXaris wrote:
    Remember the Mel Gibson movie, The Patriot? They used boats to get to their hide-out deep in the swamp, but made their raids from horseback, mostly.

Yes, but they also rode to the hide-out. That same scene shows some rebels show up in boats, while Mel's character rode his horse to the meeting point.

A pirogue can carry quite a load, however, you cannot stack horses on top of each other. If you visit the link I presented, you'll get an idea of what a pirogue looks like.

It is a misconception to say that "for a heavier load you use a 'bigger' pirogue." Not really . . . you use a longer pirogue. The pirogue is a narrow boat -- only wide enough for two men to sit tightly together -- that's how it's able to maneuver between the Cypress trees. A pirogue can -- conceivably -- carry one horse . . . if you can get it to stay still and not tip the boat over. That would supply one horse for the three or four men in the pirogue. Not very efficient. Wink

Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:05 am  

At the moment, if I employ horses for overland raiding (very possible), I will either have the brigands hide them on the perimeter of the swamp at some fortified position (small encampment) OR have them stabled at one of the few villages bordering the Mistmarsh well away from civilization. Now, I highly doubt any of these villages would willingly assist brigands, especially those following Erythnul's doctrine, BUT they could be held hostage, blackmailed, or subjugated into submission through violence, fear, and the like (I am thinking a mixture of all the above, along with taking prisoners from the village(s) to ensure compliance). A few agents of the brigands/Sakatha could be posted at these villages to keep tabs on the locals and enforce submission.

Hence, the raiders could use boats/rafts to ferry goods (including prisoners) to and from the swamp but use the horses (again, stabled in the villages bordering the swamp and river) for overland strikes.

-Lanthorn
    GreySage

Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:25 pm  

Suggestions for Sakatha's stats?

His obvious ones include 18/76 Strength (as per vampire) and at least a 14 Intelligence, perhaps higher (15 or 16, as per vampire)? I plan to use Van Richten's Guide to Vampires for a suggested 16 Dex and perhaps a 14 Char (lizard folk only?). However, I will gladly entertain recommendations...

-Lanthorn
       Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- AD&D 1st Edition All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: