JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Ragnar's PBeM game
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Campaign Journals & General Online Play
    Ragnar's PBeM game
    Master Greytalker

Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:10 pm  
    Re: House Rules

So, I have altered how my game works, and I thought I'd give you an update. I took away the magicuser bonus spells (1). With three wizards of 8-10th level, this essentially gave the party the equivalent of a 4th wizard. And since I do NOT require memorizing, their magical ability was getting far too strong.

I dropped the need for system shocks (rule 6). They just get back up again.

I dropped spell points (rule 7) which had gotten out of hand. On one adventure, after the 12th consecutive 5d4+5 Magic Missile spell by one wizard, I figured, "enough is enough." I just go by the original spells/level system now. The only change is I let them use higher level spells to cast lower level ones. That still gives them some added versatility, but with a price.

I dropped counterspells (rule 13). It was almost never used, so I just went back to the old Dispel Magic as a counterspell.

ragnar wrote:
    I thought I'd post my house rules also, to see what other DMs, particularly those who play via online media think of them. Some of them are for ease of play. Some are just things I've always done.

Anyway, here they are:

1. Magicusers gain bonus spells according to intelligence just like clerics to with Widsom.
    2. Spells do NOT have to be memorized. Any spellcaster, cleric, etc, can cast any spell they can cast. You still have to follow the rules on numbers of spells/level you can cast, you just don't have to memorize before hand. Basically, you gain much versatility. Remember, opposing spellcasters follow the same rule too!
    3. No max on spell damage, just like 1st ed. Won't matter for us 1st level guys though. Maybe someday it will mater though.
    4. Critical hits will be used, following the tables in the Dragon Article "Good hits and bad misses." The basic system is simple, for every point that you either make or fail an attack roll, that is your chance for a critical. For instance, if you need a 7 to hit and roll a 15 (after modifiers of course), you'd have an 8% chance of a critical. If you rolled a 5 (after modifiers) you'd have a 2% chance of a fumble. As you can tell, the more you progress, the more often you will get criticals rather than fumbles. Unfortunately, this holds true for your foes as well.
    5. I'm doing the leveling up more like the computer games. No training, when you have enough you simply are the next level.
    6. If you receive MAGICAL healing to bring you back above 0 you can make a system shock roll. Success means you may INSTANTLY begin to take normal actions again. Failure means you must have a day of complete rest first. A Heal spell will eliminate this period.
    7. Spell points are now used. The points are based on your total spells/level, from the spell progression chart and with the bonus from (1) above. You get 1 point/spell/spell level. Further, you can cast ANY spells you know, at a cost of 1 point/level.
    8. For cure spells, the minimum amount cured will be the caster's level.
    9. Illusions KISS rule: Keep It Simple Stupid. Don't try super elaborate and complicated things that make my head explode. If you are going to copy some spell effect, I will use the rules of the actual spell copied. If you decide to go BEYOND the rules, say to make the "perfect fireball" then your targets will get a free chance to disbelieve the spell. This will be IN ADDITION to the normal save vs spells. So, if you try to throw an illusionary fireball, then the targets get a save for half-damage. If you want to cast one that has no save, they will instead save to disbelieve, success of which will mean no effect whatsoever and the knowledge that they are dealing with an illusionist. So, better to stick to the laws of magic, unless you want to risk worse failures.
    10. Illusionary creatures: They attack at your combat ability. As long as you concentrate on the illusion, you can keep it fighting; however, if you do anything "beyond the norm" then your targets will get a save to disbelieve.
    11. Expanded Proficiency system: complicatedly simple
    12. You may use spells from the Great Netbook of Prayers, just ask me first to make sure it's ok.
    13. Counterspells: If you ready a counterspell action, then you can counter anything that happens later than your move during a round. If the spell cast against you is one you KNOW, you can cast a like spell to counter it. You create your spell, subtly reversed to counter the opposing spell. Countering in such a case is automatic. If it's a spell you don't know, you can use Dispel Magic with normal chances. No spontaneous castings. I think this would basically only be used by you guys. The wizards can take a defensive roll, especially in situations where the warriors get into combat, and counter enemy wizards. If you don't act, but keep the counterspell action readied for the next round, then you are considered to automatically go first, giving you the ability to "interrupt" anything that round.
    14. Spell Aquisition and Casting Directly from a Spellbook
    15. Falling Damage: 1d6 first 10', +2d6 next, +3d6 next, to max of 20d6. I.E. 30' fall will be 6d6 damage (1+2+3).
    16. Cantrips: (Use unlimited number at will)
    17. Level Drains: negative levels rather than losing level. Basically, you don't end up losing levels, but accrue negative modifiers. It's kinda complicated, and I can explain it if people are interested. : )
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:35 pm  

Yeah some players are one trick ponies with their spells. It gets a little dull. Maybe if they were restricted to a single casting of any spell each day that might make them more judicious.
    Master Greytalker

Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:21 pm  
    Spots opening in a new campaign

I'm going to be starting a new campaign. If anyone's interested, let me know. I run my game at another website, the Road of Kings.

http://www.warbarron.com/rok/home.php

You will have to signup there if you want to be in it. It's free, so not really a big deal.

Anyway, I'm looking for a couple of people who want to be in a GH online game. We do it through a bulletin board, just like here really. You post as much as you can, without much worry about not being around sometimes. We do the best we can. We don't do chats, or stuff like that. It's all done with posts.

So, if you are interested, let me know.
    Adept Greytalker

Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:26 pm  

I would be interested in joining your group some day if you do not mind taking someone that has been on the DM side of things most of the time.

Right now I am running two email games as well as the occasional sit down game and am a bit short on time. Some day, however, I would like to jump in. Please keep me in mind if you keep your PBEmail games going.

I have enjoyed your storytelling and really think your players take the extra time to develop their characters.
    Master Greytalker

Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:43 pm  

Your invite will be openended. Just let me know when you think the time works out. I actually don't generally require too much of the players. Some are much more restricted than others in terms of time online, based on work, family, etc. It's not uncommon for some to post only once or twice a day sometimes!

Anyway, whenever you're interested, let me know.
    Adept Greytalker

Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:46 pm  

I will look forward to it. In the meantime, I will try and learn a little more about your house rules.

As a side note, if I were to log on to the website where you play, would I be able to follow your game even if I was not a current player?

In the games I play by email, I have the player's email me and then I post. Most of the players are from my childhood gaming group and in this way it keeps the players guessing at who's character belongs to whom.

I would be interested in following how you play to see how it works and get a better feel for when I can join.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:45 am  

Yes, you can join and just be a lurker until you're ready.
    Adept Greytalker

Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:09 pm  

Well, I am in the process of registering anyway. One step closer to joining the TPK.
    Master Greytalker

Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:47 am  

Sweet! I look forward to seeing you lurking, invisibily. Wait! Then I won't see you! :)
    Adept Greytalker

Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:14 pm  

Goldie or Ragnar.

I have found Ragnar's threads and posts.

Has the new game started yet? I saw some recent ones but they looked older than your announcement you were starting a new game.

Pretty neat website.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:48 pm  

Are you Bmorekareful721?
    Adept Greytalker

Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:51 pm  

No, I am bland old me. mheaton118
    Adept Greytalker

Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:55 pm  

There is a line in the movie True Romance that references the naming of a movie. I think of when I look at the lack of energy I put into my name. It is uncouth, so I won't quote it.
    Master Greytalker

Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:56 pm  
    Looking for players

I just thought I would post that we are looking for a couple of players. The game is handled on another website, the Road of Kings.

http://www.warbarron.com/rok/index.php

Easy and free to sign up. Pretty much no rules there, except to be good to each other. No censorship, so it's very old school. I'm an admin, and within my game I try to to maintain the Balance. How very Gygaxian of me! :)

Anyway, it is my online Greyhawk campaign, and in this brand new version we are starting 1st level characters in the Riftcanyon. The year is late 581, right before all the big events of the Wars. So, if anyone is interested in joining, let me know. We are a 2nd ed game, mostly, though I tend to allow certain 1st ed classes too. I'm pretty open to weird stuff. I have some house rules, and if you want in I can spell out more for you.

We just started, and the party is just sorta feeling their way around the edge of the Rift right now, so it's a perfect time to jump in. Here is the party so far:

Alderwulf: 1st level Human Paladin of Hextor (Illriger from Dragon #106)
    Belmorn: 1st level Minotaur Fighter (Zol's Hand, a unique kit)
    Kassandra: 1st level Half-gnoll Druid (Oracle)
    Meepo Deathstrike: 1st level kobold Thief (Shadow)
    Tessa Mahler: 1st level Human Magicuser

You can also email me: jtmckillop@att.net
    Master Greytalker

Mon May 28, 2018 4:12 pm  

The human magicuser already died. Replaced by an elven fighter-magicuser.

Still open for a couple players.... :)
       Canonfire Forum Index -> Campaign Journals & General Online Play All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: