Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Drawmij & Ren O' the Star on alternate material planes
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Drawmij & Ren O' the Star on alternate material planes
    Adept Greytalker

Mon May 13, 2013 10:43 am  
    Drawmij & Ren O' the Star on alternate material planes

Two interesting finds:

1) Drawmij's appearance in Rings of Power as a CG, dual-classed wizard/thief. The book also mentions his friends "Ren O' the Blade" and "Lidabmob." (My review here).

2) Ren O' the Star walking the streets of Hillsfar as a young thief in a short piece of fiction Jim Ward wrote for the Hillsfar computer game cluebook.

Thought I'd share. Has anyone discussed or used these sources before?
    GreySage

Mon May 13, 2013 12:49 pm  

I have little familiarity with either of those sources, but I do recall reading something about "Lidabmob".

If I recall correctly, that was the name one of the early demi-gods of D&D (Rob Kuntz, e.g.) gave to a PC he played. He said that everyone else knew it was just 'Bombadil' spelled backwards, so that's what they all called that character. Smile

SirXaris

Mon May 13, 2013 1:18 pm  

Bombadil AKA Lidabmob was Jim Ward's wizard that inspired Drawmij's Instant Summons and, in turn, the Drawmij in TSR lore. Ward makes the two wizards separate entities in Rings of Power.

Anyway, I'm very excited to finally see a statted version of Drawmij written by Ward himself, even if it is d20. Was there any talk about this back when RoP was released in '01?

And does Ren O' the Star exist in any other FR works?
    GreySage

Mon May 13, 2013 7:17 pm  

vestcoat wrote:
    And does Ren O' the Star exist in any other FR works?

Both Drawmij and "Mighty Ren the thief" (also known as Ren of the Cloak and Ren of a Thousand Tricks and a Thousand Lives) appear in "A Tale Within a Tale," a short story by James Ward in LC1 Gateway to Raven's Bluff, The Living City. Drawmij is the storyteller who tells the tale of Ren; it's eventually revealed that he is a pseudonym adopted by Ren himself.

In the Living City, Ren of the Cloak/Drawmij is a 15th level high elf thief. He's chaotic neutral in alignment. Note that there are no "high elves" as such native to the Forgotten Realms (silver elves are the closest analog to Greyhawk's high elves), and the description notes that Ren's origins are "shrouded in mystery."

There's also a Drawmij in The Complete Book of Elves by Colin McComb (Drawmij Koehlanna, an elven prince who appears in a story on page 58; he's the Prince Charming figure in an elven variation of the Cinderella story).

Last edited by rasgon on Mon May 13, 2013 7:40 pm; edited 5 times in total
    GreySage

Mon May 13, 2013 7:20 pm  

Aren't stats given for Drawmij, along with the other members of the Circle of Eight, in the Living Greyhawk Journal Compilation?

Drawmij has a small cameo in my adventure in the first edition of the Canonfire Chronicles, but I don't offer any stats there.

SirXaris

Mon May 13, 2013 7:23 pm  

SirXaris wrote:
    Aren't stats given for Drawmij, along with the other members of the Circle of Eight, in the [u]Living Greyhawk Journal

Stats for Drawmij are in the City of Greyhawk boxed set, in Vecna Lives!,Return of the Eight, and in Living Greyhawk Journal #0. But none of those references were written by James Ward. Vestcoat's point was that Rings of Power has the only known James Ward-penned statistics (other than the ones in Gateway to Raven's Bluff, though that isn't really Drawmij).
    Adept Greytalker

Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:32 pm  

Bump. Just remembered Jim Ward has yet another "Ren":

Renn the Swift, a high-level human fighter and proprietor of Renn's School of the Blade. Found in "The Weapon Master" adventure in REF4 The Book of Lairs. No doubt an early predecessor of Ren o' the Blade (above).
    Adept Greytalker

Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:51 pm  

i've just got Jim full of Ren questions at DF :)
    GreySage

Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:14 am  

rossik wrote:
    i've just got Jim full of Ren questions at DF :)

Link?
    Adept Greytalker

Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:29 pm  

I started it here:
    http://www.dragonsfoot.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=11179&start=2790#p1422512

Apparently Tenser and Robilar aren't the only ToH survivors!
    GreySage

Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:21 am  

vestcoat wrote:
    I started it here:
    http://www.dragonsfoot.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=11179&start=2790#p1422512

Apparently Tenser and Robilar aren't the only ToH survivors!

Very nice, Vestcoat! You really got a great answer out of Jim. It's pleasing to see that he's happy to give lengthy answers to such questions from fans. Happy

SirXaris

Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:14 am  

A scary difficulty comparison: Jim successfully navigated Tomb of Horrors with a thief, but got munched playing Bombadil in Dark Druids. Sad
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: