ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Henchmen
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- AD&D 2nd Edition
    Henchmen
    GreySage

Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:20 am  
    Henchmen

Hello All,

Recently, I have begun to give great consideration to the addition of Henchmen for some PC's in my campaigns. I have never before found myself in this situation, partially due to ignorance in their application, but primarily because, up to this point, no PC has achieved a level I would deem appropriate for their inclusion.

Some time ago I proposed a conundrum about paladins and their retinues (including followers, Henchmen, and allies), and this garnered great debate and discussion: http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=5098

I turn to you all now for your collective suggestions, practical DMing advice, and personal anecdotes how each of you has adjudicated their use. The sourcebooks give overall descriptions about them, but there is still a great deal of latitude regarding Henchmen. Primarily, I am interested in the following points:

1) What is the minimum level a character should reach before Henchmen are attracted to service?

2) What levels are appropriate for Henchmen?

3) At what point or level should a PC have attracted his/her maximum number of Henchmen?

And, as an aside, I gather that it is possible (and quite likely, in fact) to have Henchmen of a different character class than the mentor.

appreciatively,

-Lanthorn
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:31 am  
    Re: Henchmen

Lanthorn wrote:
    1) What is the minimum level a character should reach before Henchmen are attracted to service?

3) At what point or level should a PC have attracted his/her maximum number of Henchmen?

...And, as an aside, I gather that it is possible (and quite likely, in fact) to have Henchmen of a different character class than the mentor...

-IIRC, your AD&D2 doesn't have specific rules for these things, but there's a whole section on henchmen in the AD&D1 DMG.

IIRC (using AD&D1):

1) I think henchmen have to be half the level of their master or less;

2) Half the level of their master or less;

3) 2nd level (where the henchman is first level);

4) A henchmen is simply a very loyal follower. He doesn't have to be a professional understudy.

Ola! Happy

However, I think the AD&D1 DMG states, and it would be reasonable to assume for any edition, that a henchman who got to a "certain" level would probably branch off on his own e.g., if he's a 9th level fighter, and can run his own territory, isn't it time for him to get out on his own? Laughing But it could be a personality thing; not everyone want's to be a boss, or maybe they're just incredibly devoted (that's the DM's judgment call).

Now, one thing which is a little hinky about the AD&D1 DMG is the idea of hiring a henchman off the street, meaning that the guy (or gal) you expect to be your most trusty lieutenant (or one of them) is someone you just found while hanging around in bars and putting out classified ads. Really? Confused Not likely. Could you hire someone off the street, pay them 100s of gp a month, and get a decent henchman? Maybe. Perhaps they've heard of the PC and want to be part of the team, although that's more like a follower. But it's really the sort of thing that should come from months or even years of prior association (thankfully, the AD&D1 DMG morale & loyalty rules take this into account).

The most likely source of henchmen would be followers (or maybe hirelings) who have proven loyal, brave and skilled. For example, a PC's best man-at-arms might get an offer. Another possibility might be an associate of the PC's, say, a low-level magic user who is an occasional hired wand from time to time.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:25 pm  

Hahaha--this brings a random 1e memory (ANECDOTE TIME)...NONE of our crew ever wanted to be The Cleric. All clerics were always henchmen. As they wandered off/died/whatever, their names somewhat changed (it turned into comic relief)--first name was always "Robert", then it was "Wun", "Tu", "I can't remember 3", "Fower", "Fife" etc etc). It got to be hilarious, and we were all a bit bummed when, ironically, a college roomie name "Bob" played a cleric in our first 2e campaign.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:26 am  

Interesting question.

I've had a couple of categories for Henchmen:

firstly; low level guys who are more like followers who get paid a fair wage...maybe from a liberated village, impressed by the adventurer party and wanting to follow.

secondly; higher level individuals, but there needs to be a reason other than the regular pay. For instance in the campaign I have run recently, Greyhawk followers will remember an NPC called Taki who my players met and saved from a clan of cloud Giants in the TOEE nodes. Being generous of nature, they bought his freedom at huge expense (i managed to unburden them of quite alot of monetary treasure actually)....so basically, Taki owed them, morally and fiscally. Became a hired hand for a while before heading off his own way.

Followers being attracted is another question...I've never liked the idea of..."you've reached 10th level....40 people show up spontaneously to serve you".
    GreySage

Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:38 am  

Though the mechanics of acquiring henchmen have changed over the course of the various editions of the game, the role-playing of the event shouldn't. In the early editions, the number of henchmen a PC could have was based upon his or her Charisma score, while in 3.5e/Pf it is all based on the PC's level.

I can see advantages to both systems, but I mainly just ignore them and allow PCs to acquire henchmen in a manner that seems appropriate to the PCs' and the NPCs' attitude, alignment, and role-playing. I just keep the mechanics in the back of my mind as a basic limiting factor. Smile

SirXaris acquired his 15 henchmen via the older mechanic, but each was roleplayed and each has a special relationship with the paladin and his wife. They look up to him as a special friend, a savior, a role-model, etc. They are thrilled at the opportunity to learn from him, serve under him, and protect him, his family, and even the ideals he stands for with their lives. These are the kinds of NPCs that a paladin attracts as henchmen. He trusts them above all others and returns their loyalty in kind.

This all is a result of roleplaying, as I said, and may be completely the opposite of other PCs. Other PCs may attract henchmen purely for the monetary wealth such loyalty brings them or the opportunity for mayhem and madness that accompanying such a PC provides to the henchmen. It depends largely on respective alignments.

To answer your questions directly:

I'll go so far as to say 1st, if the PC is of royal/noble blood and you wish to allow (burden) him/her with a zero-level footman/body servant. Razz

Mechanics in the various editions mention name level, half the PC's level, or (in later eds.) a single henchmen of almost the same level as the PC. I don't think it really matters as long as the DM and player are happy that there is a valid justification for that henchmen to remain subordinate to the PC.

Depends upon what mechanic you use to determine the maximum. If the maximum is a paltry number, it may not take long. If the maximum is high, the PC may be recruiting new henchmen throughout his or her virtual life.

SirXaris

Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:07 pm  

SirXaris wrote:
    ...To answer your questions directly:

I'll go so far as to say 1st, if the PC is of royal/noble blood and you wish to allow (burden) him/her with a zero-level footman/body servant...

-Actually, for a 1st level PC, a War1 or a 0 level Man-at-Arms type is pretty handy to have around. If you use the "500 XP gets you to 1st level" rule, they continue to be handy.
    GreySage

Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:35 pm  

I appreciate those of you who have posted your input, and am always open to more feedback. Please keep them coming, if you have something to contribute.

For my own 2 cents, here is what I am thinking:

1) It makes little sense that a novice character would have any real chance of garnering Henchmen, so I am leaning towards a minimum level of 5th before you have enough experience to attract, etc. anyone to your side.

2) I'd think that Henchmen are no more than half the PC's level, and likely less. Thusly, an 8th lvl fighter cannot have Henchmen higher than 4th lvl of experience.

3) This is tricky, given that Henchmen can arise throughout the life of the character, and the number given (at least in 1e and 2e) is the TOTAL maximum garnered. It seems reasonable to me that the total number of Henchmen could be attracted by the time the PC reaches "name level," that being around 9th lvl. However, that would be if the PC were actively recruiting, etc. It would be nice if the PHB or DMG would give us more guidance on this score (I need to do more research, it seems).

thanks again, and keep your suggestions coming,

-Lanthorn
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:05 pm  

There are more rules for Henchmen in various places. Read up on them. For one, they don't earn equal shares of XP, so that keeps them lower level.

But this isn't World of Greyhawk discussion, but rules discussion, so it really goes in a RULES FORUM, 2E in this case, as that is what the OP uses. I will pound your square corners smooth eventually, Lanthorn! Laughing

Posting Advice for Everyone: if not a single Greyhawk IP term appears in your post, nor does your post elicit talk of any Greyhawk IP term, then your post probably needs to go in a rules forum, or even the Back Alley, not in the World of Greyhawk general discussion forum.

Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:42 pm  

Cebrion wrote:
    I will pound your square corners smooth eventually, Lanthorn! Laughing

Embarassed

Yeah, I still stumble sometimes. Hey, I've made much better progress lately over the past few years. Thanks for moving this post to its rightful spot.

Ceb's right on the rules regarding Henchmen. I've been perusing both the 1e and 2e DMGs since my last posting. I find the 1e DMG far more useful on this account.

I am also interested to hear how each of you DM's have incorporated Henchmen, if any, into your campaigns, too. So feel free to include such information, if relevant.

much thanks (and sorry for the blunder, Ceb),

Lanthorn, smoothing out Cool
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:33 pm  

My earliest experience with henchmen comes from somebody running a Paladin (Cavalier kit) character in 2E, and getting a squire. That Squire, a Fighter (Cavalier kit), eventually gained enough experience to become 6th level, and is a force in his own right. After translating to 3.5E, both characters continued to advance, and the Squire, now 8th level, was recently knighted.

My other main experience, probably like many other peoples', is linked to the infamous Deck of many things. I have had three players draw the Knight card. POOF! Instant 4th level fighter henchman. One of them got eaten by a green dragon shortly thereafter, another was eventually killed some other way, and one still lives. Also, at higher levels, some of the followers that certain characters gain have also become notable henchmen in my campaign.

2E gives enough information on how to run henchmen. The main thing is that henchmen be lower level so as not to steal the spotlight, or lead to a situation where the PCs will rely on the henchmen too much for anything.

Last edited by Cebrion on Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:23 am; edited 1 time in total
    Journeyman Greytalker

Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:46 pm  

Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- AD&D 2nd Edition All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: