Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Temple of Elemental Evil returns!
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Temple of Elemental Evil returns!
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:18 am  
    Temple of Elemental Evil returns!

Temple of Elemental Evil returns in 2014 as D&D Encounters for D&D Next - yay! Only it will be placed in Forgotten Realms - uuuuu... Sad
    Journeyman Greytalker

Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:29 am  

Huh? No way ...

Well there goes my last shred of hope that Greyhawk is to be revived any time soon. Shocked
    Journeyman Greytalker

Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:30 am  

That's terrible. I was pretty peeved when they dropped a whole bunch of GH classic dungeons onto the Empires of Nerath board game map but this takes the biscuit. Agree that this probably means GH is dead as far as official content goes.

Very sad Sad
    Adept Greytalker

Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:30 pm  
    Re: Temple of Elemental Evil returns!

wyrdhamster wrote:
    Temple of Elemental Evil returns in 2014 as D&D Encounters for D&D Next - yay! Only it will be placed in Forgotten Realms - uuuuu... Sad

link?
    Adept Greytalker

Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:34 pm  

<sobbing silently at my desk>
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:55 pm  
    Re: Temple of Elemental Evil returns!

wyrdhamster wrote:

-Ah! But the good news is, Drzzt do Urden is moving to Nyrond! Evil Grin Laughing Shocked
    Forum Moderator

Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:36 pm  

I cannot find any chatter about this on the usual sources including WotC's D&D Encounters page. Only here. Such a move would of course would cause worse fanrage than 4e Spellplague I'm sure. Then again, GH is not without guilt in adopting other world's stuff. So, let's wait and see...
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:03 pm  

No idea where this "news" is from. The only thing I have found searching is mention that a few people are thinking of trying to run ToEE using what D&D Next rules they currently have, not that ToEE will officially be used in the D&D Next launch, and that it will be stuck into FR.

This would kind of be a big deal, so I think that a Google search would at least hit on something that isn't just forum chat about using this or that module to try out the D&D Next rules.

So, don't read too much into it at this point.

Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:15 pm  

Info is from comment section on D&D Next Facebook group under discussion on what should WotC do to make people interested in Next after closing playtests in September. Here is comment:

Quote:
    Frank Foulis They did not mention any products at Gencon or PAX.

If you have Dragonspear there is mention that the Temple of Elemental Evil will play a role during 2014's encounters season

**SPOILER ALERT**

**SPOILER ALERT**

**SPOILER ALERT**

The plot of Dragonspear deals with the Elemental Keys and the Princes of Elemental Evil.

At GenCon they did say there were doing concept art for what the temples of the Elementals would look like.

There is also the comment of this that shows my stand on this:

Quote:
    Kevin Watson I see ToEE being set in FR for Next/5th as a clear sign that Greyhawk is not coming back, and that is a disappointment. I have enough material to do as I please. I was hoping that it would be a supported setting.
    Forum Moderator

Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:03 am  

Hrm. One adventure does not make a setting. I'd be more upset as a FR fan if they tried to shoehorn in GH stuff. Having said that, GH did grab Isle of Dread and whatnot. So the precedent is there and shouldn't be too alarming.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:31 am  

mortellan wrote:
    Having said that, GH did grab Isle of Dread and whatnot. So the precedent is there and shouldn't be too alarming.

Isle of Dread was totally in GH placed in playtests?
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:07 am  

Hmmm. Reading more, I see that this may just a continuation of what has come before, so I am more inclined to believe that they will continue on as before, meaning that A version of the Temple of Elemental Evil will be set in FR, not that THE Greyhawk version of the Temple of Elemental Evil will be set in FR. There can be elemental cults in any world after all, but this one hopefully will be very different (i.e. no Iuz, Zuggtmoy, Hommlet, etc.), as that would give a reason for old and new players alike to play it. A close cut-n-paste would be a mistake. I'll admit that it would be fun to design A version of the Temple of Elemental Evil for any number of other campaign worlds. We'll just have to wait and see what they plan to do though.

So, this will likely not be all that Greyhawk related. Doesn't mean that it couldn't be cut from FR and put into Greyhawk (suitably modified to remove the FR stuff of course) as a newer, resurgent Temple of Elemental Evil located in an an entirely different place in Greyhawk (Perrneland perhaps). That would be something I might be tempted to run my current players through- even the ones who have been though the original Temple of Elemental Evil.

That's the most positive spin I can put on any of this. Laughing

Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:30 am  

Back from traveling to hear this news! well it may only be A temple of elemental evil but if they use that name, that's still pilfering to some degree and it makes me sad...
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:11 pm  

Elliva wrote:
    Back from traveling to hear this news! well it may only be A temple of elemental evil but if they use that name, that's still pilfering to some degree and it makes me sad...

-Actually, in D&D 3.5, the generic deities are all GH.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:34 am  

Put me in the *meh* camp, although I'm with Ceb; if I were playing Next and they gave me a usable mega-adventure, either saving me from converting the 1e version or giving me an entirely new, usable adventure I could just plop down into GH, I'd be happy. The thing that bugs me, and maybe this isn't the way it really works, but it's the way it looks, is that as a DM I have to plop down $30 or so to be able to buy an adventure that I then am obligated to run at a sponsoring FLGS? Or hopefully that's not really the way it works.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:06 am  

smillan_31 wrote:
    Put me in the *meh* camp, although I'm with Ceb; if I were playing Next and they gave me a usable mega-adventure, either saving me from converting the 1e version or giving me an entirely new, usable adventure I could just plop down into GH, I'd be happy. The thing that bugs me, and maybe this isn't the way it really works, but it's the way it looks, is that as a DM I have to plop down $30 or so to be able to buy an adventure that I then am obligated to run at a sponsoring FLGS? Or hopefully that's not really the way it works.

Agree it should be usable in GH but if it is the original Temple and it's placed in FR then it would be pretty difficult to then come out with an official GH setting.

Not really sure about the sales model of this as the Baldur's Gate adventure (also an encounters season) is available for purchase normally with no requirement that it be run as for encounters (which would be impossible to enforce anyway). They have started making previous Encounters seasons available as adventures in Dungeon (it's there and already written so why waste time paying other authors I suppose) but that requires a subscription to D&DI. Mine lapses at the end of the month and I have no intention of renewing it. Paizo is putting out enough stuff that can be adapted for GH to last a lifetime and it's generally of far better quality, sadly, than anything WotC is doing.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:46 pm  

In D&D Next there is news...

Quote:
    In WoTC email notifying us about last packet there's a new #dndnext adventure announced In Dungeon 430 "Battle of Emridy Meadows"

Real ToEE is back! Cool
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: