Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Geopolitical Greyhawk?
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Geopolitical Greyhawk?
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sat Sep 11, 2004 6:43 pm  
    Geopolitical Greyhawk?

I am wondering if people tend to play in GH-

(1) on a large, geopolitical stage, where the doings of nations and powers matter; or

(2) in smaller venues, more local in nature where few geopolitical considerations of other nations and powers come into play.

Thoughts?

GVD
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat Sep 11, 2004 8:39 pm  

Short answer: A little of both.

I think I'm like most DM's in that when I start a game with newly made, first level characters I tend to concentrate "adventuring events" to a very localized area. This allows me to concentrate my initial creative efforts to topics that I know will be relevant for at least a few sessions. It also allows the players to get a better feel for their characters and an inclination for how they want to develop.

With this direction from the players, after a few adventures, we're able to begin broadening the actually travelled campaign area and introduce more in depth threads and developments. If the players show an affinity for a local village headman, it makes sense to run with that, maybe linking somehow to a more regional set of personages or plots.

I've had games where the players opted to stay low key and have a major impact on the local area. Big fishes in a small pond. Sure, there were some adventures and intrigues beyond that local area, but the players returned to that familiar home base time and again.

Other games have progressed with the players showing a greater scope in ambition. Carving out a power base to stabilize a larger campaing area, playing a role in Kingdom-wide problems and intrigues, and so forth.

Personally, when playing I prefer a localized focus. I've had characters that happily advanced levels and acquired treasures and what not and would spend their spare time helping with a local barn-raising. Whose goals were as modest as a two story stone house or being in charge of a village militia. Of course, I must also admit that I did enjoy such a character being dragged against his IC will into the larger arena...

I've also had a few characters who have immersed themselves in fief management and country management...The DM's in those broader campaigns had a real flair for that type of campaign and I and my fellow players took to this with gusto.

As a DM I'm open to both choices; I'll happily prepare for both or either. It's something that I leave to my players, although I try to make it clear that they have the options...
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun Sep 12, 2004 7:42 am  

Hi,

To start a campaign I rather use the second option and then, as the plots unfold and the
    characters realize there's more than the local surroundings, that they are part of a bigger scheme, I move to option 1). It's a discovery process the characters make of the world they live.

That's why I like toplay in GH so much. It's a changing world, not a static one. You can witness the rise and fall of kingdoms, political intrigues, invasions, mysterious places, legends and more!.

Saludos,
    Gabriel
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: