JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Aura of Comfort/Weather Stasis
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- AD&D 2nd Edition
    Aura of Comfort/Weather Stasis
    GreySage

Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:23 pm  
    Aura of Comfort/Weather Stasis

Wondering if Aura of Comfort, the 2nd lvl Travelers sphere spell (I have also added it to the Weather sphere), protects the recipient from puddles and running water caused by precipitation as they move about, or not. My strict and literal interpretation is that it does not, but wondering if others have ruled otherwise.

For that matter, does the 4th lvl priest spell, Weather Stasis, do the same for run-off entering from outside its area of effect?

Both of these spells are to be found in Tome of Magic.

-Lanthorn
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:23 am  

No to both. Run-off is an effect of weather, not weather itself, so is unaffected. Rain/sleet/snow/hail will not fall on the character (s), but it will fall around them, creating puddles that will make the character's feet wet, or cause them to drown/swim if it is a deluge and they are in a low spot that fills up with water. These spells just keep the weather from falling on the character (s) from the sky. These spells will not protect character (s) from being swept away by a stream that has suddenly become a torrent due to heavy rain, or being buried by an avalanche of snow or earth/mud from a mud-/landslide caused by heavy snow/rain, or from being crushed by a tree that was blown over by a strong wind. Because puddles, avalanches, floods, mud-/landslides, and falling trees are not weather, but results of the effect weather can have on the environment, not on the character (s). The weather isn't doing anything to the character (s)- the altered environment is, and the spells don't protect against that.

Last edited by Cebrion on Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:15 am; edited 1 time in total
    GreySage

Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:45 am  

Thanks a bunch, Cebrion! I was hoping you'd give me your interpretation, and you haven't failed me yet. Happy

OK, is there a spell that you know of for 2e that would protect characters from such effects? I don't see an Anti-Water Shell spell, but I wonder if something like Lower Water would work.

thanks again,

-Lanthorn
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:13 am  

Lower water will lower the water in the area to a depth of 1" in most cases, but one could always use a spherical wall of force to keep everything out.

Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:07 am  

Aaaahhh...brilliant idea! Thank you for your insights.

-Lanthorn
       Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- AD&D 2nd Edition All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: