ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Bleredd's Holy Symbol
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Bleredd's Holy Symbol
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:14 am  
    Bleredd's Holy Symbol

G'day folks,

I'm looking for a good depiction of Bleredd's holy symbol, the iron mule. And while there seems to be an abundance of holy symbol pictures for most other GH deities on the web, I was unable to locate one for Bleredd.

If someone knows a place where I could find and download one, I would be most grateful.

Thank you!
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:34 pm  

You mean the actual symbol his clerics would carry?

Or a symbol his followers might use?
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:56 pm  

Nice finds, surfarcher! I like the uppermost best for a symbol worn by the clergy, but the drawing on the bottom is nice too.

Thanks a lot!
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:07 pm  

Glad I could help! I figure something like the symbol at the bottom would be commonly used by his followers, for example when consecrating something in Bleredd's name...
    Master Greytalker

Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:26 pm  

According to Return of the Eight, p. 28, Bleredd's holy symbol is a hammer and anvil.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:45 pm  

http://www.canonfire.com/wiki/index.php?title=Bleredd
    Master Greytalker

Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:14 pm  

surfarcher wrote:
    http://www.canonfire.com/wiki/index.php?title=Bleredd
    Oh, well if the wiki says it, it must be true... While I agree the iron mule is more interesting, I think it more likely that the LGG authors (who I believe created the iron mule symbol) simply overlooked Roger Moore's passing reference to the hammer and anvil in Return of the Eight.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:34 pm  

What takes precedence? A single reference in an older module, which may have been overlooked? Slightly later references in the same edition? Meh, not my call - though I'm sure most punters will miss the reference from RotE. I was just glad I could help the OP with their query.

But I still think it's worth you adding a reference to our wiki...
    GreySage

Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:17 pm  

Yes, the iron mule as his holy symbol is mentioned in the Living Greyhawk Gazetteer. There's no reason a god can't have multiple holy symbols, though. One sect might use an iron mule, while another might use a hammer and anvil. The same sect might use multiple symbols, for that matter; both the cross and the fish are symbols of Christianity, for example. The altar in a Blereddian temple might be a great anvil with the image of a mule enscribed on it.

surfarcher wrote:
    But I still think it's worth you adding a reference to our wiki...

Done.
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:32 am  

Which symbol takes precedence? The one that the DM SAYS takes precedence! DMing 101. Happy

I would go with multiple symbols (mule, hammer, pick, anvil), and sect could dictate which symbol is preferred. Or....division within the faith could even use those symbols, if one were of the whim to divide the faith up in that way. The Iron Mule could be used for worshipers who travel, the Hammer for artificers, the Pick for the "blue collar" worshipers, and the Anvil for those who serve in (immobile Laughing) temples of Bleredd.

And all of the symbols are interlinked:

The Pick mines the ore of artifice,
    But the Mule carries it to the forge.

The Anvil is the foundation of artifice,
    But it is useless without the Hammer.

Just spit-ballin'. Laughing

Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:23 am  

I haven't used multiple holy symbols per se, but IMC I've had particular animals associated with some gods: bulls and eagles with Pelor, ravens and black dogs with Wee Jas, lions with Heironeous.
    Master Greytalker

Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:25 pm  

smillan_31 wrote:
    I haven't used multiple holy symbols per se, but IMC I've had particular animals associated with some gods: bulls and eagles with Pelor, ravens and black dogs with Wee Jas, lions with Heironeous.
    That's kind of where I am with Bleredd, and why I like the hammer and anvil; he can still be called "The Iron Mule" and be associated with mules, while having a different holy symbol. Having his holy symbol be literally an iron mule is one-dimensional.
    Paladin

Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:11 am  

I vote for multi symbology as well..... St Cuthbert had varied adornments for various sub-groups.
      Saint Cuthbert's priesthood is divided into three major orders.
      The Chapeaux, whose symbol is a crumpled hat, seek to convert people into their faith. They are equally divided between lawful good and lawful neutral characters. Paladins of Saint Cuthbert, known as Votaries or Communicants, have an honorary position in the Order of the Chapeaux. Their role is not just to convert others, but to actually fight enemies of the faith.
      The Stars, whose symbol is a starburst, seek to enforce doctrinal purity among those already dedicated to the saint. Most are lawful neutral, and they do not shy from using mind-reading magic in order to ensure that even the private thoughts of their flock are pure.
      The Billets are the most numerous of Saint Cuthbert's clergy. Most are lawful good, and they seek to minister to and protect the faithful. These are well-beloved by the common folk. Their symbol is a wooden club. The Chapeaux often come into conflict with the Billets, because the former order wants to seek new converts while the latter wants to care for the worshipers they already have.

This was also applied in Fharlanghn's belief structure that had some more zelot subsets
      The Guardians of the Road are fanatical worshippers of Fharlanghn who give away all their belongings and take to traveling full-time. They also seek to protect the secret of Journey's End.

The Striders of Fharlanghn are a neutrally-aligned organization dedicated to the destruction of the Cagewrights.

I'm sure there are other examples, though it may not have canon to support the sub-sets, It seems logical they would have a means to ID each other.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:46 pm  

FWIW I'm all for multi-symbology. If you look at our "real" world multi-symbology is pretty common amongst our varied spiritual beliefs. I think that's a good case for using it in Oerth...
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:39 am  

I didn't know about the hammer and anvil reference. In fact, this is the first time ever that I took a closer look at the church of Bleredd because it starts to become important in my current campaign, and the first info that I came upon was the entry in the LGG. I like both representations though as they make sense, and I agree that both can have a place in Bleredd's church. Perhaps the hammer and anvil is more popular in the eastern Flanaess, whereas the iron mule is his symbol in the west (where my campaign takes place). Must think about this.

Thanks all!
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: