Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Question to Warlock's Walk (OJ 23)
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Question to Warlock's Walk (OJ 23)
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:32 pm  
    Question to Warlock's Walk (OJ 23)

I've played Warlock's Walk from Oerth Journal 23.
    Great module!!!

We've found several Magic Items, including an Item named Phylactery of Healing.
    Now, I can't find any description of that item... :-(
    It seems that it got lost while converting the module to 3.5

My hope is that some of the knowledgeable folk here can help me out (i.e. the guys, who made to conversion to 3.5).

Thanks in advance!
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:05 pm  

It appears the Phylactery of Healing was meant to be explained in the Appendix of the adventure. I for one would treat it as a Phylactery of Channeling (Postive). After all healing hurts the undead.

Later

Argon
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:37 am  

Hmmm...

---that would make no sense b/c the creature wearing it is of the strictly fighter-damage dealing type and could not benefit from it in any way...

Thankx for sharing your thoughts, Argon!
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:14 am  

Just because the creature was carrying a phylactery of healing--does not mean it has the ability to use the item. Have you ever come across an item in a game that your character could not use? It happens. However, Rob Kuntz and Allan Grohe can probably tell you what the item was meant to do in 1E. If you want 3.5 edition info on the item only Rick Miller and Stuart Parr could tell you exactly what they intended for the item to do.

Neither have been available for years. Good luck!

Last edited by Argon on Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:56 am  

Thanks again for your feedback, Argon!

Sad to hear that those guys haven't been around for years (that was my hope...)!
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:02 am  

Hi - Stuart Parr here - apologies for not playing too much attention to these boards in recent times (mostly I lost my password, changed computers, etc, etc).

Sadly, I can't shed much light on the nature of the phylactery as the published version of WW in OJ23 was very different to the conversion of Rob's adventure I originally converted for GenCon UK (too long ago to remember... but I think that was 2005). I simply converted Rob's 1e adventure into 3.5e as directly as I could. The published version in OJ23 is far more sophisticated and superior with a lot of detail added, including the phylactery. Rob kindly gave me a writing credit but I really had nothing to do with the OJ23 version. Sorry not to be more help!

You'll need to track down Rick Miller if you want to find out from the item's creator what it does. Though I feel obliged to repeat Rob's mantra when I was pestering him about more information on Maure Castle: make it up yourself & make it your own!

Great to know there are still people having a go at Maure Castle though... must dust off my notes and have another go myself :)
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:02 am  

Holy cow!

Welcome back to CF, Stuart!

Thanks for your insights on this issue.
    so I have to contact Rick . . .
    CF Admin

Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:44 am  

Falco wrote:
    I've played Warlock's Walk from Oerth Journal 23.
    Great module!!!

I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it, Falco :D

Falco wrote:
    We've found several Magic Items, including an Item named Phylactery of Healing.
    Now, I can't find any description of that item... :-(

If you provide a list, I can certainly help with the 1e details for the original versions of those magic items.

Argon wrote:
    Just because the creature was carrying a phylactery of healing--does not mean it has the ability to use the item. Have you ever come across an item in a game that your character could not use? It happens. However, Rob Kuntz and Allan Grohe can probably tell you what the item was meant to do in 1E.

True that :D From the original manuscript, the Phylactery of Healing "heals 50 hp damage per week by touch" (and there's no stipulation that it's a clerics-only magic item, so the troll wearing it may be able to use it at the DM's discretion).

DayTripper72 wrote:
    Sadly, I can't shed much light on the nature of the phylactery as the published version of WW in OJ23 was very different to the conversion of Rob's adventure I originally converted for GenCon UK (too long ago to remember... but I think that was 2005).

2007 :D

DayTripper72 wrote:
    I simply converted Rob's 1e adventure into 3.5e as directly as I could. The published version in OJ23 is far more sophisticated and superior with a lot of detail added, including the phylactery. Rob kindly gave me a writing credit but I really had nothing to do with the OJ23 version. Sorry not to be more help!

If you no longer have a copy of your version of the d20 module, Stuart, I probably do in my archives. Let me know and I'll dig around if you want me to.

DayTripper72 wrote:
    Though I feel obliged to repeat Rob's mantra when I was pestering him about more information on Maure Castle: make it up yourself & make it your own!

Indeed!

DayTripper72 wrote:
    Great to know there are still people having a go at Maure Castle though... must dust off my notes and have another go myself :)

I still haven't had a chance to run any of the MC adventures for our regular gaming crew yet, but hope to do so this year :D

Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:40 am  

Hallo Allan!

Thank you for giving me the right clue!

After reading your post, I remembered that I've got my hands somehow on the 1e Version and... BANG! ... there was the information I've sought:

... (..one wears a healing phylactery made of from a bone and stuck in its nose; heals 50 hp damage per week by touch).

Not really difficult, if you can read... rolleyes
    CF Admin

Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:53 pm  

No worries, Falco---with so much Greyhawk info out there, we all forget details now and again :D

Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:13 pm  

I am glad that you guys are around and helpful every time someone is in (dire) need . . . Happy
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:50 am  

grodog wrote:
    If you no longer have a copy of your version of the d20 module, Stuart, I probably do in my archives. Let me know and I'll dig around if you want me to.

Thanks Allan, I still have my original conversion and the OJ23 version so good there. I did loose all my e-mail correspondence with Rob though, which is annoying as he dealt me a few extra tips, hooks and cookies at the time. Be sure to give Rob my best next time you see/hear/mail/speak to him.
    CF Admin

Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:10 pm  

DayTripper72 wrote:
    grodog wrote:

Thanks Allan, I still have my original conversion and the OJ23 version so good there. I did loose all my e-mail correspondence with Rob though, which is annoying as he dealt me a few extra tips, hooks and cookies at the time. Be sure to give Rob my best next time you see/hear/mail/speak to him.

Will do---I'll see him at the end of the month at GaryCon, and will likely speak to him beforehand :D
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: