Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Any adventures with sprites, brownies & the like?
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Any adventures with sprites, brownies & the like?
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:59 am  
    Any adventures with sprites, brownies & the like?

One of the cornerstone entities of fantasy are the fey. Oddly, I don't remember coming across many adventures using them. I remember being a child and looking through the old AD&D 1st ed Monster Manual and seeing a particularly shady looking brownie by a tree and a admirably motivated sprite attacking the shin/calf of a human. Where are all these creatures now? I've generally used these little muther *CENSORED* to inflict all manner of pain on PC's through harassment and equipment sabotage. Granted, the only time the fey showed up is when my silly players decided to overtly offend the forest spirits, but hey, it was their call. Evil Grin But again, other than Beyond the Crystal Cave, any adventures?

Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:14 am  

There's a relatively recent (4E) adventure in Dungeon where the PCs play as pixies but I would have to check the reference.

Sure there is at least one older Dungeon adventure (a short one as I recall) where the PCs are hampered by fey bandits including a boggle but again I would have to check the reference.

The fey adventures are certainly out there but they do take some finding. Will come back with references once I track them down.
    GreySage

Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:06 pm  

Dungeon Magazine #01, The Elven Home - Features elves and a troublesome treant;

Dungeon Magazine #5, The Rotting Willow - Boggarts!;

Dungeon Magazine #54, Redcap's Rampage - Pits the PCs against a redcap (evil fey);

Also, from the World of Greyhawk boxed set (or the City of Greyhawk boxed set - sorry, I don't remember which these came from), there are a couple of short adventure cards featuring fey: Dark Heart of the Oak - Spriggan; and Tamara Belongs to Me - Elves, Korred, and Centaurs, oh, my!

Check out this page for a quick overview of old issues of Dungeon Magazine and you may find more.

http://www.patman.org/add/resources/dungeons.asp

Finally, you may find inspiration from my PCs' encounters with a wily Dryad in my Keep on the Borderlands blog (page 3, Just One Kiss, I Promise, and again on page 4, Dryad and Any Lie for Love):
    http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=5218&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=50

SirXaris

Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:48 pm  

Don't forget the Bäckahäst and the jermlaine in the Wailing at White Creek.

If Sir Xaris can do a shameless plug so can I.

LOL!

Later

Argon
    GreySage

Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:48 pm  

Right, Argon! Happy

And, since you reminded me of the jermlaine, I'll remind Uptognomegood that he can also find jermlaine and lots of drow in the D1-3 modules. How's that for official modules with fey as the bad guys? Razz

SirXaris

Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:26 am  

Beyond the Crystal Cave has one or more troublesome leprechauns in it, but be sure to note what can very likely happen to your campaign when playing that adventure so far a time is concerned.

Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:37 am  

ga3 Tales of Enchantment revolves around those pesky pixies.

This may not be a Greyhawk Adventure but could be easily inserted into any campaign.
    GreySage

Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:54 am  

PC1 Tall Tales of the Wee Folk is a great BECMI D&D supplement revolving around faeriekind (including several adventures).

The infamous module WG11 Puppets includes an evil leprechaun named Freddie McKruger.

REF3 Book of Lairs includes encounters with buckawns, faerie dragons, sylphs, dryads, quicklings, and pixies.

REF4 Book of Lairs II included leprechauns.
    Adept Greytalker

Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:20 pm  

H1 Bloodstone Pass makes a claim to Oerth and features the most absolutely brutal pixie/faerie dragon encounter ever.
    GreySage

Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:08 pm  

vestcoat wrote:
    H1 Bloodstone Pass makes a claim to Oerth and features the most absolutely brutal pixie/faerie dragon encounter ever.

I don't own that adventure any more, but did run it long ago. As far as I recall, Bloodstone Pass takes place in the FR, not in Greyhawk. So, I'm curious as to what "claim to Oerth" you are referring?

SirXaris

Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:36 pm  

I think H1 was later retconned to Forgotten Realms and didn't start out being set there.
    Adept Greytalker

Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:18 pm  

SirXaris wrote:
    As far as I recall, Bloodstone Pass takes place in the FR, not in Greyhawk. So, I'm curious as to what "claim to Oerth" you are referring?

The circus ringmaster on page four announces "The greatest show on Oerth...", a lone GH reference putting Bloodstone Pass on par with Baltron's Beacon and Lost Island of Castanamir.

If only the third Bloodstone module hadn't been swept up in the great retcon plundering of the H, N, I, and OA series modules to bolster the new FR product line, Bloodstone Pass would doubtless have been fully canonized into Greyhawk by later fans, Paizo, or the LG triads.

On a side note, I always thought it was funny that FR adopted the tally of years from the first two Bloodstone modules, basing the timeline for an entirely new setting around the arbitrary dates in a generic module.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: