Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Please could the sign up process for the wiki be sorted out?
    Canonfire Forum Index -> The Great Library of Greyhawk Wiki
    Please could the sign up process for the wiki be sorted out?

Would you like to see the GLoG wiki signup process improved?
    Yes
    100%
     100%  [ 4 ]
    No
    0%
     0%  [ 0 ]
    Other (please state)
    0%
     0%  [ 0 ]
    Total Votes : 4

Apprentice Greytalker

Thu May 15, 2014 3:07 pm  
    Please could the sign up process for the wiki be sorted out?

The Great Library of Greyhawk has been locked down to stop spammers getting in.

Obviously, it is vital to keep out spammers, but the way they are kept out makes it too hard for genuine people to get accounts.

The GLoG homepage says this:
    Quote:
    Signing up

• In order to fight spam, new accounts have been disabled. If you'd like an account, please post on the wiki forum on Canonfire!.

There are two things wrong there. Firstly, there is no link to this "The Great Library of Greyhawk Wiki" forum, and people are not even told the correct name of this forum. That makes it unnecessarily difficult for people to get over here.

Secondly, the procedure mentioned on the wiki is just plain wrong. Posting a thread on this wiki asking for admin rights does not get you admin rights. Instead (if you are lucky) someone tells you that you should be emailing Gary Holian or PMing him on his PSmedger account on the forum. Again, people do not actually get given links and have to go looking to find out how to do this. (And if he does not have time to read this subforum, does he actually have the time to read his PMs and deal with random people asking to be added to the wiki team?)

I know that people are not intentionally messing newbie wiki editors around, but this is what is happening. It is not good for them. And it is not good for the project as a whole. This wiki needs to have new people onboard (people who know Greyhawk, understand the needs of the wiki and who will work with the existing team to add new content or fix existing content).

There is a sticky here called Editing permissions for the Great Library of Greyhawk Wiki which explains some of this. But if you are coming to this forum to sign up, you really want a thread called "Post here to sign up to The Great Library of Greyhawk wiki".

And sending people from place to place just is not a nice experience for that person. It would be far better if someone with experience on GLoG was given admin rights to set up new accounts and took over the process.

If someone monitored a thread here and added accounts every so often (once a week might be good enough) the process could move forwards.

And if the homepage of GLoG was edited to give people the a proceedure that actually works (and a link over here) that would make things so much better.

I realise this would involve some work. But I think that it would be one-off work that would really make things better for editors and viewers.
    David 'Big Mac' Shepheard<br />My Greyhawk links: http://www.thepiazza.org.uk/bb/viewtopic.php?f=11&amp;t=9355<br />(If I am not here, you can find me at the Greyhawk or Chainmail forums at The Piazza.)<br />
    Adept Greytalker

Thu May 15, 2014 3:33 pm  

I completely agree. I'll pm Gary and direct him to this thread. Hopefully he'll see it.

Until them, I've added the signup info directly to the main page. Not sure why I didn't do this to begin with--maybe I thought people would actually check this forum. . . . :/
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu May 15, 2014 4:21 pm  

Robbastard wrote:
    I completely agree. I'll pm Gary and direct him to this thread. Hopefully he'll see it.

Thanks Rob! That is very very helpful.

The Great Library of Greyhawk is a fantastic resource. A lot of people (including Gary and yourself) have worked really hard to get it in the condition it is in today (and to protect it from spammers).

It seems to me that it only needs a few tweaks to make it possible for new people to join and help you make it even more awesome.

Robbastard wrote:
    Until them, I've added the signup info directly to the main page. Not sure why I didn't do this to begin with--maybe I thought people would actually check this forum. . . . :/

People should be coming to this forum. But it is a bit hidden in the Canonfire! forum structure. Maybe a direct link from the wiki to the actual URL of this specific forum would help. Smile

I could add a link to this forum at the WikiIndex page for The Great Library of Greyhawk, if you think that could help.

And, when Gary does find a way to make it easier for new people to come onboard, maybe there should be some threads here for you and Rip to show newbies the most effective ways to help.

EDIT: There is someone over on Facebook, at the Flanaess Geographical Society group, who said he could not get an account. It would be great to be able to get him onboard. Smile
    David 'Big Mac' Shepheard<br />My Greyhawk links: http://www.thepiazza.org.uk/bb/viewtopic.php?f=11&amp;t=9355<br />(If I am not here, you can find me at the Greyhawk or Chainmail forums at The Piazza.)<br />
    Novice

Fri May 23, 2014 4:39 am  

Hello, I'm the one David is referring to.

It is very annoying have a lot of time to spare to help, and not being let this come true.

I PM'd PSmedger on Oct 2013, and my request is still in my Out Box, not Sent Box.

Please, provide am alternative method to have me in at the GLoG team editors.

TY in advance

PaleMage
    aka Fabio "Monty" Montanari
       Canonfire Forum Index -> The Great Library of Greyhawk Wiki All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: