JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Products Schedule Rundown
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- D&D 5th Edition
    Products Schedule Rundown
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:57 am  
    Products Schedule Rundown

So, for those who haven't been keeping up, Mike Mearls gave a recap of the products that are soon going to be available for 5e and their release schedule. My first reaction was sticker shock; each of the core books is running about $50 USD, a bit of an increase from the $35 of the 4e books. Especially considering that the constant flow of errata, the end result on 4e was buying the cheaper Essentials line, I'm definitely holding out on buying any of the core books. The good news is that WotC will be releasing a free PDF they're calling Basic D&D, which is a stripped-down version of the 5e core books. Reading between the lines it looks like the release date for this will be in July when the Starter Set ($20 USD) is released, which I assume is a beefed up, print version of the Basic PDF with some extras.
    For now I plan on making do with the Basic PDF, house-ruling as necessary. I'm going to take some convincing to lay down $50 each for the core books. We'll have to see.

Recap article - http://www.wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4ll/20140602

Basic D&D - http://www.wizards.com/dnd/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4ll/20140527
    Master Greytalker

Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:31 am  

For all the criticism I've levelled at WOTC over the years the free release of D&D Basics is a very clever move; a free game that you can run up to 20th level? That's quite a statement. You could argue that it's not a original marketing plan - FATE Core was, and still is, pay what you want and there are a couple of other games that went down the free route. Still, as a way of getting old hands back on board at zero cost to them....nice Cool !

I would agree that the main core books are a little pricey but they probably match up fairly well when compared to other recent releases; Shadowrun and Numenera are listed at $59.99 and 13th Age $44.95 forex. A certain online giant is discounting those games and there's no reason to suppose that they won't do a similar thing with 5e; you may want to support your FLGS and pay list of course, but those shops are in very short supply over here.

Let me say again - very well done WOTC. The cynic in me is taking it as an apology for past misdemeanours Laughing .
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:04 pm  

People should note the core books are of decent size, each one being 320 pages. I'll be checking out the free Basic D&D download to be sure.

Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:01 pm  

Yeah, I could also consider buying the books a donation to my FLGS, which is run by an awesome lady, who totally deserves my money. That removes some of the sticker shock. Smile

EDIT: I will still probably wait on the whole errata situation though, and see if they re-edit the first editions.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:41 am  

I will be definitely be buying the core rules - PHB, MM & DMG.

You can get basic for free right now here.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- D&D 5th Edition All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: