JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Shield Spell
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- AD&D 2nd Edition
    Shield Spell
    Adept Greytalker

Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:34 pm  
    Shield Spell

I realize that long before I starting reading posts a vast amount of information was discussed. Therefore, I ask in advance for pardon if this was covered.

One of my player characters is casting the shield spell (W1) on a compatriot. I didn't think anything of it and let it fly without question. I read the spell later just to double check on the duration and realized it says wizard casting upon him/herself. I didn't take this as a restriction to the wizard only, just the way they described the spell.

Therefore, I am allowing mages to cast this spell on others.

Collectively, is that the way you all DM the spell also? IMC I am going this way, just curious about other opinions.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:37 pm  

This same question came up in our game tonight. In the 2e PHB it says that spells with a range of 0 indicate a spell can be used on the caster only, so that's the way we're playing it. Good thing too, because the wizard ended up being on the edge of a huge melee and probably would have been killed if she had cast the spell on someone else, as she had planned. Shocked
    Adept Greytalker

Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:46 pm  

Thanks Smillan_31. I missed the range notation. I may be opening a pandoras box if I do not reconsider my decision on this. It might be a good time to have a sidebar with the player and do some corrective actions.

I greatly appreciate the insight and enlightenment.
    GreySage

Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:54 am  

Spells are typically pretty clear (not always though) about their areas of effect and ranges, and whether or not they can be cast on others, or only upon the mage him/herself.

Shield is a personal effect only, just like Mirror Image, Blur, Minor Globe of Invulnerability, and other defensive spells. Normally if a spell can be cast on someone else, it will say something like 'recipient' in the description, or 'target' or 'creature affected.' Stoneskin, however, can be cast on others.

If you have a question about game mechanics, as I always do, you've come to the right place! Happy

-Lanthorn
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:27 am  

I had always played it this way, but the range 0 thing was new info for me. Fortunately, it had just come up.
    Adept Greytalker

Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:59 am  

Thanks again. Corrections were made. The player had just asked to cast it while they were scaling a narrow stairs up a cliff wall prior to an anticipated battle. They had not yet reached any conflict so it was an easy remedy.

I got lazy as a DM. I will pay more attention to details.

Thanks for the help and guidance.
    GreySage

Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:25 am  

mheaton118 wrote:
    I got lazy as a DM. I will pay more attention to details.

Even the most experienced DM can overlook things. It happens more often than not. I've been playing and DMing since the 80s and am still learning.

-Lanthorn
       Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- AD&D 2nd Edition All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: