JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - 2nd edition - spells durations
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- AD&D 2nd Edition
    2nd edition - spells durations
    Adept Greytalker

Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:51 am  
    2nd edition - spells durations

Looking for opinions for the 2nd edition w/ player options fans (Lanthorn, I know you are out there) -

In the combat and tactics, the book breaks down the round to combat rounds. I really like this idea.

A problem arises with spell durations. A round (one minute outside of combat) is treated the same as a combat round (roughly 12 seconds or 2 segments). So that a spell has a different time duration depending on if you are in combat or not. The books does little to explain why, it just makes it so for universal game play.

My question is how do you treat this? I am on the fence. I am experimenting with spells, such as light, lasting the full (one minute) rounds even during combat but spells that are combat specific lasting only combat (12 second) rounds. My theory is, the combat spells will likely only be cast during a combat. Not sure if this will pan out well or not.

Next, how about durations of spells such as sleep. Would that be full one minute rounds or combat rounds. Same as something like hold person. In my experiment, I would likely treat them as combat rounds.

Any feedback?
    GreySage

Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:54 pm  
    Re: 2nd edition - spells durations

mheaton118 wrote:
    Looking for opinions for the 2nd edition w/ player options fans (Lanthorn, I know you are out there) -

Yes, I am ! :)

I haven't altered the rounds into combat rounds as you mentioned, so I haven't encountered the dilemma you are facing. My suggestion is to try both systems, maybe even with mock battles if you don't want to use your characters as guinea pigs, and see which one you prefer. I am not superbly well-versed in the way in which combat is done in the Combat & Tactics book even though I do own it, so perhaps there is an explanation to your quandary imbedded therein about which I am not cognizant.

Not sure if that was helpful, but I couldn't resist the "Lanthorn Summons." I don't get a save...

always prowling the 2e Forum,

Lanthorn
    Adept Greytalker

Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:48 pm  

So far my not-so-scientific (sorry, I understand you are a science teacher) experience has not back-fired on me. I just know my shoot from the hip DM-ing will snag some trouble eventually. I am hoping most spells will fall logically (at least to me) into either the minute round category or the combat round category. I think I will skim the spells a bit and see if there are any glaring problems on the horizon.

We shall see . . .

Thanks for responding Lanthorn. Any other warnings/suggestions would be welcome.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- AD&D 2nd Edition All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: