Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Dwellers of the Forbidden City, part 2, The exit?
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Campaign Journals & General Online Play
    Dwellers of the Forbidden City, part 2, The exit?
    Adept Greytalker

Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:00 pm  

Kuba removes his armor and begins cleaning and repairing it. He also applies cleaner wraps to his remaining injuries.

Tathar and Grimlock remain in the ceiling rafters watching and listening.

Speck finds a comfy spot to rest, inventories his gear and eats some rations. He takes the time to check on the injured and makes sure they are getting enough water and aid. Ewan joins Speck as them move from person to person. Ewan lays hands upon Ide Otneaux and Southar again. Now, both have regained consciousness but are extremely weak and defenseless.

Aratheas walks the temple interior examining it. Ledego rests near the front door, watching through the opening.

Tarstar does a little happy dance and settles in for some rest.

Grom plops down near the hole in the wall. He curses forgetting his crossbow at the warehouse.

Cirdan Saralonde seems to be in thought.

After twenty minutes or so, Ledego alerts everyone to Breymeer’s approach. Breymeer appears to be watching over his shoulder and tries to slip into the damaged door of the temple quickly and without notice to prying eyes outside.

Breymeer gather’s everyone’s attention and tells of his attempt to reach the wildmen compound. He relays the following information:

1. The bugbears are upon the roof of the warehouse, one at each compass point.
    2. The bugbears did not attack him but sneered at him.
    3. He saw Shruzgrap arguing with a human looking (likely a Suel) female named Kwairno. They were standing in front of a well-kept walled compound about 250-300 feet east of the warehouse.
    4. Kwairno saw Breymeer attempting to move across the street towards the wildman compound.
    5. She hailed Breymeer and he went to her and spoke to her.
    6. She dismissed Shruzgrap and the bugbear returned to the warehouse. She wishes him good luck at his departure.
    7. Kwairno told Breymeer she was an associate of Horan’s.
    8. Kwairno told Breymeer the bugbears were yet allies.
    9. Kwairno told Breymeer to return to the temple and she would arrive shortly with what medication and help she could get. She would let Horan know the mission is complete.
    10. Kwarino advised Breymeer there were yet dangers in the city for allies of Horan.

Breymeer warns the group, “I fear we will yet be killed by this Kwairno and her bugbear allies. I do not trust her and think we need to seek the wild men’s assistance. As I was coming through the wooded area between here and the warehouse, I detected I was being stalked. I know not by what. We need to prepare to defend ourselves.”

With that, Breymeer polls the group as to whether we should wait here for Kwairno/Horan or head north to the wild man compound.

“If it is necessary to attack, I am ready!” Tarstar draws forth his cutlass. “My blade is sharp and so is my outfit!”

Cirdan Saralonde speaks, “I think that preparing a defense of the building is prudent, but am willing to wait for Horan or his henchmen. He has kept his word thus far, and if we have to fight our way out, we are no longer in very good shape for success.”

Kuba seems to agree, “You are my allies, and the only ones I trust totally. I will defend myself and you from whatever common enemy we have. I do not know who this Horan is, but, so far, he, nor his messengers, have harmed us. I promise my loyalty to this group, and I expect fair compensation for my efforts. I am not afraid of what 'may' come but I will be prepared to meet it. My vote is to stay here and wait for this Kwaino. I have spent enough time with the wildmen already and do not wish to return there." He then begins to put his armor back on.

“I must warn you,” Ledego chimes in, “I am running low on my essential components for some of my spells. I may not be able give much in the way of help as I have done in the past.”

“I too am out of the conducting glass dear Ledego,” reports Aratheas. “I will not be able to summon lightning until we find more glass.”

From the sound of the little claws in the rafters, you assume the rat is busy running to and fro above you.

Neither Grom nor Tathar voices an opinion. Grom remains by the hole in the wall and Tathar goes unseen in the rafters above.
    Ewan continues to tend the wounded.

Breymeer concludes the poll, “I have stated my opinion but will go with the majority decision.” Breymeer appears very restless but manages to sit down to eat some rations. He then begins to check his armor and tend to his remaining injuries.

With another twenty minutes of rest the party is beginning to realize how tired they are. Most are taking the cat naps of a front line fighter; aware but resting.

The party actual reaches a state of relaxation for the first time since entering the city, and yet, they remain in dire circumstances. This fact is brought back to consciousness as Grom gives a gruff, albeit quiet, call from the hole in the wall, “A human woman approaches. She has long red hair. Is this Kwairno?”

Breymeer moves to the broken door and looks out, “Yes, that is the woman I met.”

Kwairno approaches the temple with confidence, walking straight down the path. She requests and is granted admittance into the temple.

Kwairno is a human female of what appears to be Suel decent. She has strawberry blonde hair and pale skin that seems strange in such a sun filled environment. She appears to be in her late twenties and is of average build and average height. Her hair flows freely well past her shoulders. She wears a very light weight, short sleeved shirt that is nearly transparent. The material is strangely less transparent across her chest in a teasing fashion. She wears white pantaloons and sandles. She has a belt across her waist with several light pouches.

She gives the group and inviting smile but her serious nature does not disappear from her face. She speaks in the common language, “Hello friends of Horan. I am Kwairno, his assistant. Time has become essential so I will speak directly to the point. Shruzgrap has told me about a creature that appeared in the warehouse. It called itself a friend of Horan. This creature had a snake body and the head of a human female. Shruzgrap calls herself Neltaca. From the description, she is a naga. Naga are dangerous and powerful creatures. I fear she is trying stake a claim to the warehouse and the bugbear tribe. She is no friend of Horans. She is an enemy and a dangerous one at that. She will attempt to charm her way into ruling over first the bugbear and then the mongrels. She will eventually enslave both tribes. She will feed on them and use them until none remain.”

Kwairno pauses and evaluates your expressions in the low light that creeps into the dark temple from the broken door and the hole in the wall.

“Neltaca appears to have charmed Shruzgrap and likely the other bugbears at the temple. Why she did not turn them against us, I do not know. Shruzgrap intends to make a challenge for leadership of the entire city tribe. Horan has not interfered with Shruzgrap’s plan as this is the bugbear way and Shruzgrap appears to remain cooperative with Horan. Shruzgrap has taken his chief lieutenants and others from the warehouse crew and gone off to the bugbear compound to make his challenge. I do not yet know the outcome and he has not yet returned. I do not know if the bugbear will remain in our hand.”

Kwairno again pauses to allow you to digest the information before continuing, “We sit on the cusp of a choice. Neltaca remains in the warehouse seeking the yuan-ti treasure. I have discovered the yuan-ti do indeed have hidden treasure. They keep it hidden upon the dais before the stone altar. I do not know all of the details of its location.”

“This is where I offer you a choice. Your group consists of several elves. The elves are naturally resistant to Neltaca’s charms. I propose you accompany me to the warehouse. I wish to drive off the naga without harming her or the bugbears to whatever extent that is possible. The elves will be tasked with assisting me in negotiating with the naga while the non-elves prevent the bugbears from interfering. Your success wins you the yuan-ti treasures.”

“The second option is to remain here for Horan. He is only a few hours from coming here and evacuating your group. However, there appears to be several more of you than he originally contracted with. You will have to discuss the evacuation details upon his arrival. I dare say, your negotiation would be greatly enhanced with pockets full of gold.”

“I must warn you,” she finishes, “I encounters a small scout party of bullywugs sneaking back east. They were coming from the area of the warehouse. It appears they had tracked your group to the warehouse. They fled back towards their swamp upon seeing me. The bullywugs are allied to Gouthogg and do not venture forth to this side of the city without cause. I am sure they will report back to the dragon. What actions the dragon will take are unknown. However, this temple should remain a solid defensive position should he attack.”

Cirdan Saralonde bows and addresses Kwairno, “"Kwairno, I am Cirdan Saralonde. Before we decide how to proceed, can you tell us if you can help our wounded? They have fought bravely thus far, but were bitten by snake-men. Can they be healed? Shruzgrap said they would turn into snake-men. Is this true? What help can you provide? I would gladly help with the naga if my friends could be healed."

“I can help you somewhat. For those that have been struck by poisoned weapons, I have brought what I believe will be the antidote.” Kwairno removes thin vials of liquid and passes them out to Breymeer, Ledego and give one to Ewan to administer to Southar.

“As for those that have been bitten by the ophidians, or snake-men as you called them, I have no help for you right now. It will take many days for the curse to overcome you. We shall be to the basecamp before then where our priests should be able to help.”

Ewan takes the vial and brings it to Southar saying, “We are only liabilities right now. I do not think we should attempt any actions other than waiting for Horan.”

Breymeer agrees, “I don’t think our group is healthy enough for battle and it makes more sense to wait for Horan and work on getting our injured heathly and cured of poison.” He takes the vial from Kwairno.

Ledego takes the final vial, “Kwairno,” he bows, “I, in my heart, do not seek to trade death for plunder. This is one of the most interesting places I have left my footprints and would cherish some of the antiquities that undoutably could be found in this city. However, I have promised to get my crew and companions out of this city and Horan, if true to his word, has promised to fulfill this request. I, for one, shall await Horan.” Ledego quaffs the vial of liquid with blind faith.

“Death does not make the dwarf any the richer. I shall stay!” Grom, although the stout dwarf would not likely admit it, appears tired and weary. “Though, I must say, I certainly will miss my crossbow.”

A rat comes running down from the rafters. The pouch under his chin tells you it is Grimlock. It dances and jigs in front of the fair skinned Suel woman. Ledego, guessing his request, translates, “This is our companion Grimlock. A yuan-ti has transformed him into this rat. I believe he is asking if you can transform him back.”

“Indeed . . .” Kwairno begins but hesitates. The elves heard it first followed shortly by Speck. Finally the dwarf and humans all pause and strain to hear to increasing whirlwind. A sound reminiscent of the tropical storm winds is growing outside the temple. The party comes to a realization, remembering the attack on the Nir Nen, just as the creature’s roar is heard upon the wind. Gouthogg has returned!

A shadow darkens the temple as the creature sails overhead, coming into the city from the west and dropping into the rift over the amphitheatre and temple. A rush of wind blows past as the shadow moves northeasterly over the city.

A look comes across Kwairno’s face. “Time is now against us. Our window to drive off Neltaca is gone. Fate and the balance of power rests on the point of a pin. I must take care of a few things immediately. Set your defenses and block of that hole in the wall. I will lock the door behind me. Grimlock, we shall eventually help you. I have no time now. It is only a matter of time before the bullywugs give a report to Gouthogg. How he responds, only a dragon knows.”

With that, Kwairno directs Kuba to place the broken eastern door into place after she exits. Darkness fills the interior of the temple. Only a slight illumination comes from the hole in the wall. Before leaving, she turns and casts some magic upon the door, sealing it shut.

Grimlock digs into Ide Otneuax pack and comes out unsatisfied. Next, he digs into Southar’s pack. This time he comes out dragging a flint and steel. Still not seeming to be satisfied, he scurries around the group sniffing. He apparently doesn’t find what he is looking for. He climbs back up into the rafters.

Breymeer, after a few minutes pacing around the room, strips out of his armor and begins to shove it though the hole in the wall. “So, the critters following me earlier are the dragon’s scouts. Which, in my opinion, means we’re now waiting for the scouts to get word to Gouthogg that we’re here, locked up in a 30 by 30 tomb.”

He forces himself throught the hole and begins getting his armor on again, “I do not like being locked up inside. I will get an idea of what’s going on outside.” Breymeer moves to the shelter of some trees to the north of the temple.

An hour passes, yet no dragon arrives. Soon after, Kwairno returns to the temple. Seeing the hole in the wall still open, she announces herself and enters through it.

Breymeer remains outside while she briefs the party. “Horan will be here soon. It appears Gouthogg may be taking counsel in his lair. We do not know for certain. Prepare yourself for evacuation. To expedite the transfer process, please dump unnecessary equipment.”

“Horan will take you in groups of three to five persons when he arrives. Be prepared to go soon.”

Tension remains high for another hour. Every sound and movement is watched by Breymeer. Tathar and the Rat watch the door from the rafters and others watch the access points from the floor.

Breymeer consumes his poison antidote and Ewan feeds Southar the remaining vial. The liquid is successful in eradicating the poison from their bodies.

Horan finally appears within the temple.

“It is time. I will remove you back to basecamp. It is my understanding that all of you entered the warehouse and helped clear out the yuan-ti. For that, I will transport you all to the basecamp even if my contract was only with a few of you.”

He looks the group over, “I understand many of you have been poisoned by the yuan-ti or cursed by the ophideans. You will be quarantined again upon return to basecamp.”

“Form groups of three humans or dwarves or groups of four elves,” requests Horan. “The half-man may join the elves.

Breymeer is hailed and re-enters the temple. To save weight, Horan requires he leave the heavier splint/scale armor behind. Breymeer is allowed to keep his studded leather.

Horan does a quick equipment check, telling you it is for safety. Once done, he begins the process of transporting the group to the basecamp in the swamp. In small groups, the teleporting is slowly completed.
    Each return, Horan repeats the process and teleports the next group until the process is complete.

Upon arrival at the basecamp, each adventurer rubs their eyes as if coming out of a dream. The sudden change from the dark, damp temple to the airy, sun-filled island basecamp, causes them to cover their eyes.
    The elation felt to escape the city is quickly derailed as the freckled jungle Suel separate you and move you a large white tent. The tent is in the same location as your previous stay. Each of you is given a cot and a privacy screens of wood and white fabric. Horan was last seen heading back into the basecamp interior.

A fire is made outside the tent and the Suel savages mix up some of the parasite and fluke medication. As before, you are brought a bucket for the nausea it will soon cause. The medication, once complete, is dispensed to the group.

Hashoven, the priest, is the first Suel representative to arrive. He is pale skinned and wears a light weight blue robe. The robe has light blue barracuda embroidered upon it.

Hashoven approaches the rat first. “So, little friend, you have been changed by a yuan-ti, have you? Let us see if Osprem is willing to help you.” Hashoven prays for the return of Grimlock’s original form as he waves a dolphin shaped symbol made of coral over the rat. In a moment, the rat grows and changes form back to that of a half-elf. The change to his body obviously shakes Grimlock momentarily but his body survives the drastic metamorphosis. “Osprem blesses you. Do not forget what Osprem has done for you.”

Hashoven next moves to Ide Otneaux, “This one is in poor shape. Let Osprem do what she wishes. Let the ophidian curse be removed with Osprem’s will.” Hashoven places the coral dolphin upon Ide’s head and orders the ophidian curse out of her body.

Hashoven repeats the process over Kuba Cyvlorandau.
    “I will be back to check on you in the morning. I ask that you return Opsrem’s kindness and please prepare a donation in the morning. I shall return tomorrow.” With that, Hashoven leaves the tent.

The remainder of the day is spent in misery as the medication does its job. Ide Otneaux and Southar survive the day. The Suel tribesman come and go changing bandages and providing clean water. Near sundown, a sparse meal is fed. It is mainly juices and jungle fruits and plant bulbs.

Tanin and Siobhon’s bodies were not transported back the basecamp. They were buries with what ceremony could be supplied outside of the yuan-ti temple. They were buried in the soil among a corpse of trees.
    Adept Greytalker

Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:08 am  

Thus ends the Dwellers of the Forbidden City adventure. The characters are heading towards Lendore Island now.

If you wish to continue to read on, look for A Lendore Isand Campaign.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> Campaign Journals & General Online Play All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: