JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Ull, Greyhawk in France, Misc
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Ull, Greyhawk in France, Misc
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Sep 27, 2004 6:47 pm  
    Ull, Greyhawk in France, Misc

I used to campaign heavily in Ket but have since moved on to Ull, the Dry Steppes and the Suelhauts. Does anyone else, presently campaign in these areas?

I find Ull interesting because it presents something of a non-human culture other than strictly demi-humans or the stereotypical Pomarj.

Before I took a break, which turned into an extended time away from the online world for the last several years, I used to very much enjoy reading posts from those Greyhawkers living in France, with some of whom I carried on a correspondence for a time. France, of course, was assigned part of the Baklunish West in Living Greyhawk.

I have just recently returned to the online World of Greyhawk and I do not see very many posts from French Greyhawkers. I am wondering where everyone went.

Certainly, since Gulf War 2, there has been a diplomatic rift between the United States and France. I would like to think that Greyhawkers would not be divided by the political differences between France and the United States. I would certainly welcome greater participation in the Canonfire forums and those at the Wizards of the Coast site by Greyhawkers living in France.

In any event, I would be interested in anyone’s take on Ull, the Dry Steppes or the Suelhauts, if someone were campaigning in those areas and cared to share.

NS

PS - I would also enjoy hearing from any of my old correspondents still around. Might be interesting to get back in touch. NightScreed@aol.com or PM me hear at Canonfire.

Mon Sep 27, 2004 7:32 pm  

There is no problem posting in French, though the utility of such posts to the wider community would be very limited. But as a way to make a connection with fellow francophones, its okay, as it has been done by spanish-speaking Canonfire members in the past. If possible, provide your own translation, though, for the benefit of all.

There is a very healthy community of french GH fans. I'm spying on my shelf the french copy of the Living Greyhawk Gazetteer (Atlas de Greyhawk). A very good translation job by a francophone GH fan, the inestimable Stéphane Tanguay. Highly recommended.

User mortellan has posted some interesting stuff on Ull and has more lined up in the future.

-P
    Forum Moderator

Mon Sep 27, 2004 9:24 pm  

A request for Ull! excellent Cool

My work so far:
    Altar of Dhawar
    Kester part 1
    Kester part 2

I have 2 more articles on Ulakand in the pipe, plans for further articles are on my drawing board.
    CF Admin

Tue Sep 28, 2004 2:26 am  

Indeed Mortellan and I have talked about the Ull being the erstwhile home of the Lord of the ogre magi mentioned in G 1-3. Good to see that its getting its due!
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Sep 28, 2004 2:21 pm  
    France

The french Greyhawk community is still kicking and alive, but our number slowly decreases over the time - you now: no replacement.

Living Greyhawk brought a surge in activity, see
    http://www.ekbir.net
    http://www.ekbir.org

but the work of translating the campaign rules takes its toll on our motivation.

Our own list Taerre has been quite silent for the last two months even if I know that some old Greyhawkers such as Patrice Forno "Froon" are still lurking

Bye

Pierre Couture
    aka Armenfrast
    aka Belvor_x (on AOL and Greytalk in the mid 90s)
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Sep 28, 2004 4:46 pm  

mortellan wrote:
    A request for Ull! excellent Cool

My work so far:
    Altar of Dhawar
    Kester part 1
    Kester part 2

I have 2 more articles on Ulakand in the pipe, plans for further articles are on my drawing board.

I will be pleased to take a look at these. Thank you for the referral.

Fri Oct 01, 2004 5:10 pm  

Dethand and Mortellan, please share some of your discussions regarding the lord of the ogre magi mentioned in G 1-3. Ogre magi interest me a lot, and I've benefited from discussion with Rasgon (and others) on this subject and the bakemono -- as antecedents(?) to the jebline of the present-day Flanaess. However, I think the eiger were native to eastern Oerik.

The islands that Fred Weining mentioned in the Drawmij seem a likely place (to me) of oni (ogre magi) kingdoms...
    Forum Moderator

Mon Oct 04, 2004 5:45 am  

Quote:
    The islands that Fred Weining mentioned in the Drawmij seem a likely place (to me) of oni (ogre magi) kingdoms...
    Those isles would make an ideal place for an exotic culture to originate. My only concern is would the schemers in the G series (they are just giants after all) enlist aid from so far away. That reason is why I speculate Ull's Ulsprue Range as a closer alternative for the Lord to reign. Ull already has strong ties to ogre-kind and this would perpetuate the feel of the region. Of course with some tweaking I'm sure both ideas could be blended nicely to make for an 'invisible' ogre magi network spanning the west.
    CF Admin

Mon Oct 04, 2004 7:52 am  

A group in the Ulsprues sounds right for your purposes, but I agree that it would be interesting to connect it to what you called "an 'invisible' ogre magi network spanning the west."

In conversation with Nellisir, I've discussed the Invisible War, which alternatively names the struggle of demon lords and princes on Oerth, or deific strife in Nell's Mhajapour campaign setting. (I forget if it's been reposted onto CF. Mhajapour was originally posted on AOL's GH folder and names an archipelago that may (not) be ruled by a dragon. Its society blends several human cultures, including one derived from "Zindia.")
    Forum Moderator

Mon Oct 04, 2004 10:37 am  

Sounds very intriguing to me, if you could find the info and link it here that'd definitely be worth my time reading. Happy
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri May 20, 2005 2:01 pm  

Just an update to the previous mail

the old site www.ekbir.net has been renamed www.greyhawk.info

Regards
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: