JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Greyhawk Wars an Alternate Version
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Greyhawk Wars an Alternate Version
    Forum Moderator

Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:36 am  
    Greyhawk Wars an Alternate Version

This topic came up in chat last week and I pounced on it. Here is my vision of how the Scarlet Brotherhood should have been used in the Greyhawk Wars.

http://greyhawkery.blogspot.com/2015/02/what-if-greyhawk-wars-ending.html
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:02 pm  
    Re: Greyhawk Wars an Alternate Version

mortellan wrote:
    This topic came up in chat last week and I pounced on it. Here is my vision of how the Scarlet Brotherhood should have been used in the Greyhawk Wars.

http://greyhawkery.blogspot.com/2015/02/what-if-greyhawk-wars-ending.html

I think that set up works very well if one wants a campaign focused on the threat from the South, or at least one in which the SB is a constant menace in the background.
    I'm a bit surprised to see Iuz getting killed or banished. Then again,
    Zagig Yragerne (still mortal then) managed to trap Iuz in the god-trap, so it's not like Iuz is unbeatable.

Thanks for sharing.

Now I want to buy a copy of GH Wars.

Has anyone here on CF taken the board game, played it with a group, and then used the results of actual board game play to write in-game history?

GreySage

Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:10 pm  

I loved The Greyhawk Wars board game, but I couldn't get my friends to play it much with me.

I agree with Mort that the Scarlet Brotherhood shouldn't have suddenly become a major military power. Especially trying to split their power center between the east and west sides of the Flanaess. That just isn't a militarily sound strategy. Thinking that controlling all the shipping (military and trade) in the Azure Sea would grant them a stranglehold on the rest of the Flanaess and lead to its submission is a pipe dream. All it would do is unite the rest of the flanaess against them and they couldn't possibly come out victorious.

The SB couldn't have expected/known/arranged for the giants to invade Keoland's neighbors, so they could only expect a powerful Keoland to head south to drive them out of the Hold of the Sea Princes, even if they did conquer it. I highly doubt they could have foreseen the fracturing of the Great Kingdom, so if successful against the Iron League, they'd then be facing either a more powerful Great Kingdom or a victorious and furious Nyrond.

So, yes, the SB should have continued to work from the shadows.

SirXaris

Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:16 pm  
    GW

I asked a long time ago the same question about the results of the Greyhawk Wars board game influencing a campaign. I don't recall anyone saying that they did that.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: