#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - The Keep at Koralgesh
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Campaign Journals & General Online Play
    The Keep at Koralgesh
    Master Greytalker

Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:51 pm  

Well, had a PC meltdown, which took me away for a bit. Then work was crazy. I haven't updated my campaign journals in some time, and I plan to start up again. Sorry for the delay.
    Master Greytalker

Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:53 am  
    Part 20 - The Final Battle

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-Q4RrRRId2wA/U4J2H8LyurI/AAAAAAAADs4/nzRvl2AE3Q0/s1600/Sneaking.jpg 

[DM OOC: As you can tell by this image, in the chamber are Toni, Theyln, and another elf nobody knows. They are in a chamber full of gnolls. The rest of the party is about to meet up with them, and then the final battle in the gnoll fortress will continue. What is happening here you ask. Stay tuned....]

Thelyn steps back and observes the battle, ready to move at a moments notice.

Amaris thinks to herself, "those elves sure stirred a hornets nest." She looks to see if there is a path through the crowd the group may be able to move through and out the exit once the fight is on....then reports back to the party.

"And I, Derr. I stand with you and Thelyn," Silmarwen says to all present. It is only right that she help the creature who assisted Toni and Toni's "pretty" elf friend, Thelyn, in bringing their group back together. Perhaps she will learn about the flinds after helping Derr however she is best able. Besides, an elf leading flinds as their chief isn't something she ever thought to see. Even if it doesn't happen, who'd have thought that there could be peace between such different races?

She stands on the balls of her feet in a semi-crouch, an arrow notched and ready to be drawn, yet pointed at the floor. Her eyes travel around the room, not entirely sure who is friend and who is foe among the flinds.

While Amaris is checking the entrance and learning about the presence of the others, Mal and Astrid (being more the sneaky type) head down the hallway to see if there's another way. Mal looks into the next door which reveals a kitchen [area 6] and a mess area [area 7]. Nobody is here, and there doesn't seem to be anything of interest. Astrid looks into the next chamber, which is a storage room. Lots of piles of stuff is there, but nothing jumps out at her so she leaves. She heads down the hallway, opening the doorway to area 12. This is another armory, full of dwarven weapons and armor. Finally, the last two chambers are checked by her and Mal, finished looking at the kitchen and mess. These are more barracks. They note that there are no doors south, so there is only one way out, and that's back to the entrance. Din looks into the doorway to the NW, revealing a large barracks. The door beyond it leads to a collapsed stairway which went up. He returns to the archway to wait for the others. Soon all are reunited by the archway near the stairs, considering their options.

[DM OOC: This all happened as Derr finished his prayer and was blessed by the shaman. Toni, Sil, and Theyln all back up a step to the double-doors leading to the long hallway [area ], while the two flinds finally square off. They speak to each other in flind, and though nobody can understand their words, it is clear that there is long rivalry between them. There is now another flind leader here, the one that fought Din for a bit, as well as some more from down below. It seems about half the flinds from downstairs have come up here. None of the gnolls have come though, nor the large gnoll warrior.]

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-zwc4mwyTByI/U4NX4hAJfFI/AAAAAAAADs8/YhU3WZD9-mQ/s1600/progress%2520map%2520third%2520level%252014.jpg

[DM OOC: Here's a new map. This is actually a full progress map for this level. I think everyone can see their places ok. I'm copying this to the maps thread. Remember, the four to the north are all invisible. ]

Toni's attention is torn between the fight and the dagger in her hand. Rvery once in a while she will sniff the air, to see if she smells the rest of her friends. Since they are invisible she does not even know they are close.

"Seems they took prisoners after all," Din whispers. "Let's try sneaking past at first opportunity, when the fight starts. Perhaps the stealthiest of us could hand the Invisibility potion to our friends, then cover us with a Wall of Fog or something as we make our escape."

Din will wait by the archway and attempt to sneak to the northeast corner of the main room at first opportunity, if he sees an opening. He wants to get near those exit doors, hopefully with his comrades in tow. He will avoid contact and combat at all costs.

[Astrid OOC: So, for the party invisible. We can either go out into the fight room or back down the stairs. I'm thinking if we stay for the fight, it will let us know the way the wind blows. Let us use whatever healing we have to get us in as good a shape as any. Move as quietly as possible to the entry behind the flinds in the door. If it looks like the big flind wins signals the others to attack, Astrid will hit those two with Touch of Fire and shove them. You three shoot the big flind (I think Mal has a bow, if not stay invisible and block the other flinds from attacking. After that, we'll just have to wing it.]

[Din OOC: I don't think we have any of that, except for Amaris, who may have other ideas what to do with her magic. I don't think we have enough information about what's going on to make these sorts of deductions. As far as we can tell two enemy flind are fighting each other. And I think we need to avoid combat at all costs. Three of us can only withstand a single successful attack (and maybe not even that!) before death.]

"Anyone have some celery?" Amaris says

[Astrid OOC: There are two big flinds fighting where three armed elves stand. I'd say they are arguing about what to do with them. I don't know which is saying what. But if one wins and says something and the others move in with hostile intent (and we should be able to figure that), then we need to strike by surprise and try to keep moving.]

"I saw one of the elves shake the hands of the smaller Flind," says Amaris.

"Then we should definately stay," says Astrid. "If it IS a leadership fight, if we interfer it will make it worse. On the other hand, Toni and the others are looking at 20 flinds. We can't stop that many, but maybe a surprise will allow us to get out. With the two flinds standing in the doorway, we can either retreat down the stairs and hope to get past the gnolls or jump the two. Hitting them during the fight may cause all of them to attack, so a surprise when they turn on the elves sounds like the best option."

Amaris says "This group seems to have a death wish. While I can appreciate your loyalty to your friends, you will do them no good if you die or are captured.
    Most of us are wounded, some badly. We need to regroup, and live to fight another day. Remember any offensive action will cause you to loose your invisibility.
    The safest place for those not stealthy is this dead end hall here, where by design, no one will find you and you can walk out once the way is clear."

[Amaris OOC: Two Flinds battle to the death....who will win? Tune in to the next exciting episode of.........]

[DM OOC: The fight starts. I'm going fast-forward, so we don't need a boring round-by-round account. It quickly goes bad for Derr, who is WAY overmatched by the flind king. He misses with one swing, and his blow takes off a huge chunk of the gnoll statue in the center of the room. The flinds move in a bit more, and that allows those in the hallway to approach closer, if they wish. It's also obvious that the flind king is UNUSUALLY strong! Also, the fight gets a bit closer to the statue, and the flinds to the NW and W cannot see, so they gradually shuffle around to the left and right so they can see better. I moved everyone up to just beyond the doorway.Here's how it looks now:]

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-DLuJEwN6UpY/U4OOOcv9vgI/AAAAAAAADtc/mEWerG-gxZY/s1600/flind%2520king%2520battle.jpg

Mal heads into the room with his back against the wall heading towards room 6. Sidestepping and using the noise of the combat to cover any noise he might make. If he makes it to the double doors he slides a potion vial into to toni's off hand (the one not grasping the dagger). Whispers:drink a sip. Then he heads still against the wall towards the south doorway.

[DM OOC: I will assume you whisper ever so quietly what you're doing, so everyone knows. Mal will start slipping around the wall that way. Going will be slow, since he's trying to move silently. [I mean that not as a thief but as a person tring to not make noise!]]

[Mal OOC: Exactly. Just extremely stupid or brave (or) both.]

As she waits with Toni, Thelyn and the flinds for the outcome, she prays to her goddess, Sehanine Moonbow. "Let my arrows fly true should the need arise." Sil will be ready to shoot the king-thing. "Does it seem like the leader is unnaturally strong or has unnaturally good luck to anyone else? Or that our friend has horribly bad luck? Something isn't right."

"Aramis, how are you at trick shots?" asks Astrid, amazed. "This flind looks unnaturally strong. I've heard stories of girdles and I wonder . . ."

Toni walks to the Shaman and says, in common, "Is this not a battle without magic? Will you not check both fighters to make sure they only fight with what the gods have given them? Not helped by magic." She hopes he understands her or that someone will translate.

The shaman looks at Toni and sneers, though these flinds look like they are sneering all the time. "When fight over," it says, "you die next." Another flind next to them steps up beside Toni and grabs ahold of her, holding her tight. Toni smells hobgoblin for a moment, then nothing. She notes a couple of flinds look around, then back to the fight.

OK, Toni's grappled, and Sil now shifts her aim there. Din is left holding the bag, literally. The king finally lands a mortal blow, knocking Derr to the ground where he sprawls out at the foot of the statue. The kings stands over him, ready to deliver a death blow, and all the flinds step closer, angling to get a better look. The one holding Toni loosens its grip as well, and the shaman steps up, in front of Toni. Din takes advantage and slips around towards the exit, as does Astrid. They don't know where Amaris and Mal are. They have made it to the corner.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-CiLd1RrZXck/U4PT-kvYttI/AAAAAAAADts/-t6l7egHjZQ/s1600/flind%2520king%2520battle2.jpg

Din moves SE one square, so he has a clear view of the exit. Just waiting for that one flind to move... "I could set their barracks afire, but it would draw the Flind to us...not good until we make it through the gauntlet. I think fire would be a good distraction. Perhaps multiple fires."

Sil's attention is divided between Toni and the flinds fighting for leadership. While she had shifted her bow toward the flind that had grabbed Toni, she now shifts it back to the flind king. She takes careful aim at his head, "Moonbow, guide this arrow..." She has the bow fully drawn back, but does not free the arrow yet, "Thelyn?" At his affirmation, she'll let it fly.

Theyln instantly rushes forward to stop the death blow (and any further attacks coming his way this round) using his Cavalier parry skill. His voice booms throughout the chamber, "NO! You will not kill HIM. The challenge was MINE. Face ME for the lives of MY people you cowardly Kobold-licking swine!" An errant thought rushes through his mind as he rushes forward, strangely calm...."is this what my father felt before he died?"

The flind swings at Derr, who is unconscious on the floor, and Theyln steps in the way, blocking the blow with his blade. It is nearly knocked from his hand by the blow, which is far stronger than anything he has ever felt. Certainly stronger than that flind. He reasons he may not survive even one blow by this flind.

A look of despair crosses Theyln's face as he stops the blow and he exclaims......"You CHEAT in single combat with MAGIC! You are NO king."

Din looks longingly towards the exit, but does not take it. He posts up at at the southern end of the entrance, thinking maybe to try to light another fire in the southern barracks. He waits to see what opportunity this distraction creates. Shouldn't be too long for the Flinds to smell the smoke. He scans the southern end of the room, but things look a little thick there. Depending on how things go, he may end up bolting out the exit.

Astrid whispers,"Din if you get a clear shot before we leave, shoot the shaman."

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-CiLd1RrZXck/U4PT-kvYttI/AAAAAAAADt4/i-FScDU1faU/s1600/flind%2520king%2520battle2.jpg

Sil doesn't wait any longer for anyone to let her know if she should shoot or not, she simply takes the headshot she'd lined up on the king. "I've had it with liars and cheaters and dirty rotten underhanded betrayal. My own mother is just as bad most of you flinds."

Before Sil can fire, an arrow streaks out from the south, burying into the flind king's neck! He gurgles for a moment, the axe dropping from his hands as he reaches up for the arrow. A strange look crosses his face, then he topples over next to Derr!

[Sil OOC: Damn you beat me to it.]

[DM OOC: It wasn't Sil that fired that shot though. It came from the south....]

A loud shout from the south breaks the silence. "ALL HAIL HEXTOR. I WILL SEE YOU ALL DEAD AND DEFILED!" It is Mal's voice.

The flinds all looked south when Mal yelled, so only the ones to the north saw the shaman go down. The two flinds with plate and halberds start moving south, while the ones from the north quickly start to move towards the flind king....

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-YJq_uMxq5FI/U4PqbKvH_zI/AAAAAAAADuY/SL9xII55cO8/s1600/Dead%2520king.jpg

New map, I think we will need it! You may notice, Din set his sack down outside. He's now got his crossbow out, and he's about to shoot the shaman.....

For less than a second Sil still stands with her bow drawn back in the direction where the flind king had been, she then pivots and fires at the flind directly to her left, the one that has Toni. She is honestly just shooting at its shoulder, hoping to wound it badly enough that it will release her friend. She fires at the flind holding Toni, hitting it for [6]. It lets go, stumbling backwards. Toni flies into action, burying her long dagger in the shaman's back [10: good backstab]. As the shaman cries out, Din fires his crossbow, hitting the shaman in the chest. It falls backwards onto Toni, knocking her to the ground as the shaman falls atop her!

Amaris curses and fires one sleep arrow each into the two flinds she can see south of the statue. "Elhonna guide my hand, strike down our enemies." They <WHOOSH!> by Din's ear as they streak across the room and hit the two flinds south of the statue, just as they were looking towards Toni, having seen what happened. They instantly fall to the ground in a deep slumber!

Thelyn runs over to Toni and tries to finish the wounded flind. "Sil to me! We will defend the corner! Take out any archers first!"

Toni slips free and quickly searches the shaman, looking for potion bottles. "Dinn looks still alive, if anyone is carrying flind healing potions it gonna be this guy."

The armored flind moves up and slams its halberd into Toni, who is bent over searching the shaman. It hits her square in the back [10]. Theyln takes an involuntary step back, based on his experience with Toni, but is relieved when she doesn't begin to change form! Three flinds rush out the south door. One bursts through the door opposite, and enters, followed by one of the armored flinds. Another flind rushes off down the corridor the other way.

The two armored flinds to the north move to the king, kneeling and checking him out. Two charge Sil, who fires quickly at them, hitting one for [3]. They both attack, scoring hits with longswords for [5 and 6: total 11]. Two charge across and attack Theyln, but they both miss. Finally, two charge Din, who is now visible. One moves around the table right towards Astrid, while the other goes around the other way. Astrid uses Touch of Fire, hitting the first one and paralying it with a surprise attack! She misses the other, and it attacks Din, hitting him with a longsword [5]. Astrid then slips across the room, leaping over a table and tumbling off the statue. She lands behind the two attacking Theyln and attacks, missing.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-NBXeSj5yqmQ/U4QD0wY44yI/AAAAAAAADvQ/lCpZUbhiplU/s1600/Final%2520Battle2.jpg

Suddenly, as if he just woke up, Hitaka does a ferret slither out of Silmarwen's backpack and carefully balances on Sil's shoulder letting out a noise of curiosity. "Taka, there you are. Can you help us out and distract our enemies? The big furry ones that are attacking us."

Sil will switch to her longsword and attack the flind directly north of her. "Sorry Thelyn, I'll be with you as soon as I can. We need to try blocking exits, regroup, not so much that we cause one another problems when we attack, and attempt retreating as we can! Also, if possible, tend the wounded as soon as possible." She shouts. Her thoughts are that everyone should attack and retreat as they try to regroup. "Can't lose Denn." She mutters to herself between gritted teeth.

Taka will leap from Sil's shoulder when she switches weapons and will run amok, climbing up and down flinds.

"Don't hit the ferret! He's on our side!"

Din will use warhammer to attack the flind that charged him. They're going the wrong way," he thinks. "COMRADES," then shouts. "TO ME!"

Aramis fires an arrow at the flind fighting Din, but misses.

The regular flinds attack. The one attacking Din hits him with a longsword [8]. One attacks Theyln, hitting him for [6], while the other backs up and turns, swinging wildly at Astrid, slashing her across the belly [6]. [I should mention, I just rolled three natural 20's a row. No criticals though!] Finally, two attack Sil, and one hits her in arm [8].

Toni did find a potion, and she rolls under the table where she drinks it. She suddenly starts, coughing and choking. The flind flips the table over to get to her, and she is lying there convulsing on the ground. It slams it's halberd down on her, chopping off her head!

One of the other armored flinds pulls Derr back from the statue, checking him out, while the other turns to the other flind leader. They converse in gnoll for a moment, before the leader strides forward, bends down, and takes the girdle and axe from the flind king. It rears back and roars in a loud hyenalike cackle!

The other leader has switched to a longbow, and it calmly takes a bead on Astrid, firing an arrow which she easily dodges!

Theyln attacks the flind before him, hitting it twice and cutting it down! Astrid slices the one before her with her latajang [6]. Din drops his crossbow and takes up his axe, then hits the flind for [3], barely scratching it! Amaris fires another shot, this time hitting the flind attacking Din. It drops to the floor like a rock! She has only 1 sleep arrow left, and she's about to pull it out when she hears loud hyena sounds behind and below her. She turns around, and down the mountain she sees a flind and three hyenadons running up the winding path. Above them Amaris spots Bree, flying and pointing her wand. Amaris doesn't know what the wand is, but when the hyenadons suddenly start to run about twice as fast, she figures it out. The flind tumbles and falls with its new speed making it trip over its own feet. \

Finally, the flind archer in the chamber fires another shot, which also misses.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-n4qMZxcgYts/U4ZllegsFDI/AAAAAAAADvg/7P_2eyhT5FQ/s1600/Final%2520Battle3.jpg

[DM OOC: Well, I have to say that was unfortunate. That's twice somebody in the campaign has died drinking a potion blindly! Also, while not shown on the map, there is a flind archer and three hasted hyendadons rushing up the path from down below. It will take them two rounds to get to the top; it would have been four without the haste from Bree's Wand of Wonder!]

Amaris curses the day she met these fools. She takes a deep breath, and puts two +1 arrows into the large flind leader cackling over his good fortune.

Theyln rushes over to Sil, thrusting his blade into a Flind attacking her. "We must retreat if we are to survive!"

Sil nods at Thelyn's words. She hasn't seen Toni, yet. "Taka, come back, fella." Then to Thelyn, "Which way is safe?" She slashes at the same flind that Thelyn attacked.

"To the main entrance!" He says motioning towards Din. "But if you find yourself alone, riding in green fields with the sun on your face, do not be troubled. For you are in Elysium, and are already dead!" Thelyn chuckles.

Astrid, cursing the fates under her breath, slashes the Flind next to her with the lajatang and uses the momentum to launch a Wind off the Mountain into the flind leader with the girdle. "Din! Run while you can!"

Sil lets out a nervous chuckle, "Where's Toni?" She asks looking around briefly and catching sight of her friend's head. "Toni?!! Thelyn, I think Toni's gone ahead of us." She hasn't time to mourn currently, later she will take the time. "Someone's got to tell her tribe. If we make it out I think she'd like..." Sil cuts herself off and keeps hacking at the flind.

[Din OOC: Those who are looking west see Din flip a table for cover. That fire in the north should be raging pretty well by now...who knows? We may all get a smokescreen!]

Bree shoots off another shot of her wand, which sends schintillating colors flashing around the hyenadons. They stumble and fall, running into each other and the cliffs, before stopping, apparently blinded.

Sil backs up towards Theyln and puts an arrow into the nearest flind [6]. It then charges her, ignoring Theyln who chops its head off with an AoO as it rushes by!

Another flind moves up to attack Theyln, but it misses. One also attacks Astrid, but it too misses. The flind which decapitated Toni reaches down and picks up her head, holding it high and calling out in its laughing language.

Din flips the table over and reloads his crossbow. An armored flind moves up, and Din fires, hitting it point blank in the chest [16: nice x2 crit!] It flips backwards, dead! The other one bandages up the downed flind leader, while the "new king" puts on the girdle. He then smashes the axe down on the downed flind, chopping right through its chest a couple of times. It yells triumphantly in gnoll.

The other flind leader fires its bow at Astrid, who dodges easily again. Astrid cuts down the flind before her with a double slash of her latajang, then backs up a step, onto the statue platform, and turns to the "new king."

"We must retreat if we are to survive!" yells Theyln to Sil as he holds off another flind.

Finally, Amaris puts two magic arrows into the flind leader, hitting him for [8].

The flind leader with the bow fires another shot, this one hitting Theyln [6].

You hear more flinds appraoching from the south, and smoke is starting to come into the chamber from the north. Oh, and the flind down at the bottom of the mountain takes a couple more shots at Bree, hitting her with an arrow [5].

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-ogX1sBZn-3o/U4e6PW74-BI/AAAAAAAADvw/91WnHpwyrMk/s1600/Final%2520Battle4.jpg

Bree fires off another shot of her wand, which just sparkles and fizzles.

Sil rushes across the room, taking a slight hit on an AoO from the armored flind to the south [2]. She ignores it, runs clear to the exit, and dives over the tables, tumbling outside. [She's got the prone circle now on the map.]

Astrid runs around the statue, grabing it to gain momentum, and launches a Wind off the Mountain kick at the flind king. She misses, landing on the ground beyond him as he ducked back, but she quickly leaps to her feet with a Push of Earth. The flind king is not slow to react, and he swings his battle axe, hitting her for [16]. She is knocked about 10' across the room and falls in a heap.

"Maybe you should have run," he says, grinning wickedly.

The armored flind rushes Din, who puts another bolt into this one too [12], blasting it backwards to the ground. It's still alive, though gravely wounded.

Theyln finishes off the flind before him with a double stroke of his sword, then turns to face the flind king.

The flind archer fires at Din, putting two arrows into the table before him: Thunk! Thunk! The other armored flind moves up on Din, swiing its halberd and hitting him [4].

Amaris puts two arrows into the armored flind [6 and 7: 13 total], knocking it backwards but it stays up.

Finally, the flind archer down below fires a couple more shots at Bree, hitting her once [4] as two more armored flinds with halberds enter from the south. And yes, smokes is now pouring in from the north. So, Sil is prone, but fine. Din and Astrid are both prone and disabled [being at negative hit points]. Hopefully, everything else on the map is clear.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-uaZsUgyu83Y/U4fPEj2veCI/AAAAAAAADwQ/dDTx0AvOB2M/s1600/Final%2520Battle5.jpg

[Theyln OOC: You hear Theyln freaking out......http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dsx2vdn7gpY]

Bree flies off, out of range of the flind archer below. She heads straight up the mountain, maybe 100' above the entrance. Thelyn casts "wall of fog" screening the party from the newcomers attention and any attacks from those already there. The two armored flinds move up and swing their halberds at Theyln, who narrowly avoids one blow. Two more then enter through the south archway. Amaris fires a sleep arrow [her last one] at the flind by the table, hitting it [7] and putting it to sleep!

Mal crawls over to Din and bandages his wounds. Sil catches her breath as she comes back to the land of the living and awakes, "What is that stench?" She asks quietly, sniffing the air. "Smoke?" She stays low as she prepares to take aim, yet again, at another flind king. "Is this one new? Or is it the same one?" She asks Mal, "Meh, regardless..." She rises gracefully to her feet, checks her aim, "Right through the eye, please, Moonbow." She lets the string go and watches the arrow fly.

When she rises, she notes that she cannot see the "new" flind king for a wall of fog has appeared in-between them. She calmly shifts her aim, firing at the the flind archer in the corner and hitting him [5]. The flind turns its attention to her and fires, the arrow thunking into the table in front of her.

Entering the chamber from the south are four more gnolls, including the large gnoll from downstairs, the one that killed Sonste with a spetum in the caverns during the party's first foray. All the flinds and gnolls which just entered pause to take in the situation. The flind king then shouts at them, pointing to the north, before turning its gaze on Theyln. "You are mine," he says.

With no other targets, Amaris moves forward to Din. She nearly stumbles against Mal, who is invisibly tending Din's wounds. "Hey, watch it!" he says.

The flind archer then fires another shot, this one hitting Sil [4]. Outside, the flind archer fires a couple arrows ineffectively at Bree, who is out of range.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-pBCv0c31Eno/U4pbl3-_CKI/AAAAAAAADwg/tGrWkE7wyfY/s1600/Final%2520Battle6.jpg

Amaris casts CLW on Din, healing 7. Mal slips across the chamber to Astrid, whom he finds hovering on death's door. He slips her a drought of the invisibility potion, and then plans to carry her to safety.

The flinds back off, and the "new" flind king advances on Theyln. He swings with his axe, but misses, and Theyln attacks back, landing a slash across the flind's leg [6]. It stumbles backs a step, looking very upset.

The flind archer fires another shot at Sil, missing, and Sil fires back, hitting it in the chest [6]. The flind fires again, hitting Sil [5] and Sill hits it back, again, dropping it to the ground!

Finally, the massive gnoll charges Theyln from behind. The flind king yells something, but the gnoll ignores it and attacks Theyln anyway, missing with a tremendous swipe. Theyn realizes that the thing is nearly as strong as the girdle-enhanced king!

Meanwhile, outside, Bree stays out of reach of any arrows, and the flind starts to trudge up the path. The hyenadons are still are stunned by the weird colors!

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-iq8jwrUrPT4/U4pw7oTZtxI/AAAAAAAADww/FAoKzicibFY/s1600/Final%2520Battle7.jpg

[Theyln OOC: I love wasting my last spell (wall of fog), so everybody can run back inside.]

Amaris smiles at Din as he recovers and says with urgency to everyone nearby "we need to get out of here! NOW!" She pulls her hood down and swirls her cloak as she moves seeming to vanish.

Thelyn keeps both his opponents in sight, banging sword on shield and chanting loudly in elvish

Amaris tucks her cloak around herself and vanishes. Bree stays up in the air, as the flind reaches the hyenadons, which finally come out of their color-induced stupors.

The flind leader steps up and swings at the big gnoll, hitting it [17], knocking it backwards and to the ground. It then shouts something at it in gnoll, and the big gnoll backs off. Theyln then attacks the flind king, missing. He backs up a step, to keep the others off his flank, and prepares for another swing.

Mal picks up Astrid and carries her back beyond the tables, as Sil shoulders her bow and draws her cloak around herself, disappearing as well.

Din crawls around the corner, grabs his sack, and stands up.

Taka bites the flind leader, who looks down just in time for Theyln to slash it across the face [8]. It roars in agony, reaches down and grabs the ferret, and hurls it across the room where it disappears into the wall of fog.

The other flinds stay back, and the gnolls run back to the south around the corner. Smoke continues to pour into the chamber.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-AYImJoJ_S6w/U4p_sDfF6sI/AAAAAAAADxA/oioAiNhk3_c/s1600/Final%2520Battle8.jpg

Mal stays with Astrid, bandaging her. He tells Din to take her, since Din is bugging out. Din picks up Astrid and flees outside, along with Amaris. When they get passed the statues, they see the winding path going down and the flind with the three hyenadons coming up. They carefully move off to the side, staying away from where these new enemies may appear. Sil carefully tries to work her way around to Thelyn, but Taka comes flying out of nowhere and hits her in the stomach, "Hello little one. Off you go to our friends." She whispers as she checks him quickly for injuries then sends him on his way toward Din. She then starts to slowly work her way around towards Theyln. Mal also sneaks forward, angling around the statue and crouching just on the edge of the Wall of Fog, though still invisibile.

Theyln and the flind continue their battle, neither one scoring a hit this round. The other flinds and gnolls move up a bit to get a better look, except for one flind which is checking the bodies of the two sleeping flinds. He tries to wake them, but they stay in their comatose slumber.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-5vKY-v9BRLg/U4skC3vMXrI/AAAAAAAADxQ/pduXEi1qTms/s1600/Final%2520Battle10.jpg

Bree swoops around and fires her wand at the flind and hyenadons. Suddenly a bunch a jet-black tentacles erupt from the ground all along the section of path near them. All four are instantly wrapped up by tentacles, which begin to squeeze them tightly. There are another half-dozen tentacles whipping about, making the path unpassable.

[DM OOC: Evard's Black Tentacles is pretty cool. All four failed saves, so they all get wrapped in tentacles which do 2d4 and continue to do 3d4 each round. Not bad!]

"That ought to hold you baddies for a while ... or hopefully out right kill you! Now I have to go see to my friends ..." Bree flies down to where Din, Amaris and Astrid are outside.

Din and Amaris see what has happened, and they stop moving off to the side. Rather, they catch their breath where they are (still off to the side, but now not TOO far off to the side. There isn't really much room out front of the fortress, and only the one path down, which is now blocked.

The gnolls and flinds inside continue to watch, as Theyln and the flind king continue to fight. Suddenly a spear bursts through the flind king's chest as Mal appears, standing on the edge of the Wall of Fog and holding the other end. His surprise backstab of the flind king has killed him instantly, only the flind doesn't realize it yet. He looks down at the spear, wondering what has just happened, as the dwarven axe falls from his hands to the ground.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-n3sOsy-g5-Q/U4sskmZOC8I/AAAAAAAADxg/zt3k-aFCr3E/s1600/Final%2520Battle11.jpg

Mal pulls his spear out of the flind, and Theyln steps up to take off the girdle, but they are quickly interrupted. All the remaining flinds and gnolls stand back with the death of the "new king," except for the big gnoll. It roars a gnoll battle cry and charges them!

Mal plants his spear, the gnoll charges right into it [12]. The gnoll continues on, swinging its huge spetum and hitting Theyln [6]. Theyln nearly drops, but somehow maintains his strength. He attacks the gnoll, hitting it for [8], which finally puts it down. It falls back hard, and the other flinds left in the room run away to the south!

Theyln is among the few to ever see Mal smile. "I didnt know we were that scary," says Mal as he grabs the belt and axe and gets the heck out of this death pit. "Let go before this place fills with smoke or they decide to come back!"

"Good to see you my friend," replies Theyln, as he quickly checks Derr and sees he is, indeed, dead. He then grabs the girdle too, about the same time as Mal. With a smile, he lets go and says, "We'll figure it out later. Let's go."

When he sees the others exit, Din will call out, "Up here! Look north!" He is sweating and sick, but his aim holds steady, and he keeps his crossbow trained on the entrance.

"That way!" says Theyln and directs the group when he sees Din. "Never been so happy to see you old friend."

"As am I," breathes Din. "Are there any others left alive inside? Let's be off!"

Thelyn meets up with Din and shakes his hand. "This was a fools errand!" He exclaims. "Mal, where the hell did everyone go?"

Sil makes her way back to the outdoors and breathes deeply. "Never knew fresh air smelled so sweet." She looks for and finds Thelyn amidst the others, "Thelyn, I need to get to Toni's people... They should know what happened."

They retreat back to their mounts, when suddenly the Heroes of Hommlet appear as if out of nowhwere.

"A giant!" Screams Theyln when he sees the half-giant Rakk. "We are doomed!"

"Stay your blades!" commands Berenn. "There are no enemies here except for the gnolls. Rakk is a friend and a trusted companion. As for the gnolls, I will ensure there are no further transgressions on their part."

Covered in blood and looking a beat up himself, Mal wecomes Berenn with a bow. You are a sight for my weary eyes," he says. "Don't worry, not all the blood is mine. The creatures scurried like rats when I took the second of their two kings. I recall the title harder to obtain. Perhaps I'll start going by 'kingslayer," he says, and waits for a laugh that doesn't come. "We should go and check on two fallen friends. After some healing I will lead you to the area."

Berenn will finish attending the wounded. "Perhaps you should stay here Mal. If you have disposed of their hierarchy, the mere sight of you will probably be enough to provoke them. Just give us a general layout of the place and we will take care of the rest."

"See?" says Isilme with a knowing, mocking tone. "Told you they could handle it!"

[DM OOC: I believe the entire cast of characters from the original party has come forth, so we can move on. While you are seeing to things, Berenn checks on the gnolls and flinds. Actually, he finds that they are all flinds. There are 6 sleeping flinds and another 5 that are not yet dead. That only leaves 5 more dead here. Hepla uses her wand to put out the fires to the north, which as it turns out aren't really as bad as the smoke made it seem. She finds four gnolls there putting out fires, and she casts sleep upon them. A couple attack her, bouncing their blows off her stoneskin, and she just casts another sleep spell. She calls Rakk, who comes and picks them up while she puts out the fires. It doesn't take too long, and the party has 4 sleeping gnolls, 6 sleeping flinds, and 5 wounded flinds as "prisoners."]
    Master Greytalker

Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:43 am  
    Part 20 - Epilogue

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-x9Oqc4PwEyQ/U46WnoWfLLI/AAAAAAAADyI/SbYHiADNtwU/s912/Level%25203.jpg

[DM OOC: You also can check out the entire level. I'll give you the full map. Now, I'm not going to assume you ransack the place, as it seems Berenn is going to look at making peace. We'll see. Anyway, most of the rooms on this level are barracks for flinds, storage rooms, or kitchens and eating rooms. The room that stands out is 15, as it is the great room. There are two large chairs on a platform there. You don't run into any more gnolls or flinds, as they are staying away, for now. ]

Berenn uses his Rod of Xodal to heal all of the Wild Bunch some, and they hand out a few potions of healing which Thorgrim brought. It's enough to mostly heal everyone. Combat Notes are updated; assume everyone is totally healed.

Thorgrim finds Din. "What are you doing here in this wild place?" he asks him. "I thought I bade you to avoid this fortress and find the mithril mine and report, before traveling back to Thunderstrike?"

"We were seeking Antonia, whom we lost fighting these dogs," Din replies flatly.

"Why would you do that?" Thorgrim presses. "Hadn't you already lost many compatriots in your attempts to enter here? Why have you disobeyed my orders?"

"I'M NOT YOUR LACKEY!" Din shouts. "You don't control me, nor anybody here!" He crosses his arms in defiance.

Thorgrim is startled, then recovers. "I am sorry, Din. You're right." Silence fills the air. "Well, were you successful, at least?"

Din looks pained. "No, she was never here until we returned...and now she is dead, along with many others."

Thorgrim thinks for a moment, then puts a hand on Din's shoulder. "I am sorry for your loss. Such are the ways of war. There will be many more lost, before our task is complete. Well, perhaps we might find the mithril mine together."

Din brightens a bit. "Perhaps..."

Amaris stays quiet and is very wary of the newcomers. She has heard stories of the "heroes of Hommlet" from the fey of the gnarley forest - and not good ones. "There are those among you who brought great harm to my friends without cause, forgive me if I am less than excited to see you here," she says coldly.

"Your actions are noteworthy, good cavalier," says Emyn, standing before Theyln. "You have much honour in you. Now let us retrieve your fallen party members."

To Thorgrim he then adds, "I understand from what Dymir said that there is a crypt with undead dwarves down here somewhere. Maybe you can help them find their rightful rest."

His feelings hurt Mal sulks a bit. Hobgoblin get showed no respect. Where's my friend bry's ghost? he wonders. If Im going to get disrespected it should at least be by him. "I leave undead warves to Thorgrims care," he then says to nobody in particular.

Emyn says to Mal in an even tone,"It's hard to respect reckless leadership. Not everyone can act like Gotrek and survive. I hope you learned your lesson because it was a hard taught one with so many of your comrades dead due to your collective folly." He's not even trying to be mean or condescending...just saying it matter of fact.

Hepla kisses Emyn than says,"Those are good suggestion but I think we are safe going just to where the bodies are. After all these guys killed almost everything in this area. A couple of gnolls were left but even I was able to handle them. We have Noot to handle traps and great fighters to handle threats."

"Mal, it would be an honor to have you along, come on," she says, trying to sooth the clearly angry hobgoblin warrior.

"I would advise against bringing anyone that attacked the gnolls with us during the retrieval," says Berenn again. "We are here to retrieve our dead and leave. Bringing part of the party that just attacked them would most definitely provoke the gnolls. I have no desire to see anymore bloodshed this day. I would also keep the group going in as small as possible, a large group maybe interpreted as another attack. The gnolls present no real threat to us, so I would suggest no more than four or five people go down. Since I can speak gnoll, I will go and Noot will be useful in case they have set any hasty traps. Rakk, Hepla and Emyn can make up the rest of the party."
    "Who in the hell is Gotrek?" asks Mal.

Thorgrim will stay behind with The Wild Bunch, offering protection while the rest of the party checks out the Keep. "Don't disturb the Dwarven spirits," he says.

"Though it seems you need little protection," he says to Din. "From your tale, it seems you wiped out 95 percent of the population before leaving the keep in flames. It is highly unusual to see Flinds so fierce, more so for Gnolls. I wonder what secret they were protecting?"

Mal's respectful reply surprises everyone (including Mal). "I am sorry, but I was sent to clear mine and remove evil."

Thorgrim looks at Mal. "Actually, I was the one who sent Din to check out the mine. Or at least I told him of it. While Dorob Kilthduum itself may be too dangerous for you to clear, I supposed the surrounding lands may be less so. Perhaps I was wrong." Thorgrim looks at the wrapped up body of Toni, as the others lower her into the Portable Hole. He then takes out his pipe and has a smoke, wishing he had some of that kuo toan herb.....

Meanwhile the others proceed down the stairs and enter the corridors of the second level. They find a lot of dead bodies there, and also a group of flinds and gnolls to the north, maybe a half-dozen. A few are the plate-armored ones with halberds, a few have flindbars, and a few others have longswords. They seem to be led by one of the archer types. A handful of gnolls with spetums also stand nearby. They have dragged the bodies of their wounded back to safety in the further chamber [area 9].

Emyn shouts, "Leave in peace and you will not be harmed. Seek a fight and we will destroy you. We have killed a dragon. You are no challenge."

The flinds and gnolls are not really in a mood to fight, though they aren't just going to let you walk through their fortress. However, they flind leader (the archer type) agrees to a cease-fire. You may collect your dead if they may collect theirs.

[Emyn OOC: We agree but do not let our guard down. We collect our dead and their posessions.]

The party is able to gather the bodies of the fallen, and then retire back to the above level. They find that the Wild Bunch has also gathered the bodies of the dead gnolls/flinds. As they consider their next more, a party of flinds appears, well armed, but apparently willing to talk.....

Hepla, casts Tongues and says," To whom do I have the honor of speaking and on what subject shall we talk? I thank you brave flind warriors for coming here, I am Dame Hepla, wife of Sir Emyn, first lady of the order of the Cat. Please call me Hepla."

"I would suggest Berenn talk as well as," says Rakk. "My negotiating skills are scant and oft come to blows that weren't truly needed. I am often far too blunt but we need to limit their raiding area. But they do need food . . . Berenn you were looking for trade, they may be willing to trade for livestock."

Hepla nods and says," This is Lord Berenn, he is good at talking to too."

Theyln growls "You are in no position to dictate terms to us. You already spit upon my offer of peace. I give you permission to leave. Otherwise I give you permission to die." He says grimly.

Thorgrim places his hand on Theyln's shoulder. "It looks to me as though the fight is over," he says, before releasing his grip. He casts Tongues, and asks the Flind leader, "How did you and your tribe come to be here? From whence did you come?"

Theyln shrugs off the hand. Although he refrains from pissing on the Flind bodies, his disdain is obvious.

Emyn says, "Maybe this is an opportunity to learn more about the mines and other things around here. We can probably intimidate the flinds and gnolls into telling us what they know about this area."

"The gnolls have been invaded and many of them lie dead. Does anyone think they are going to let us stroll through without putting up resistance? We could easily overpower the gnolls and probably clear this place, but I see no honor in it. I thought I was doing a great deed by removing Chaustichlorinus from this world and it did bring closure to some, but misery to others. Have we not learned anything from our adventures? Just because you are capable of a certain action, it doesn't always mean you should take it. I took an oath to safe guard the helpless and it applies to all those I deem helpless."

Rakk looks at Berenn for a minute, "Have you ever seen a farmhouse after a gnoll raiding party goes looking for food? We can negotiate now for where they can range, or I can return later with those who will come and 'negotiate' then. I have a short temper and am very blunt. I'd rather someone work out a living arrangement, but I won't see another burnt-out farm with 1/2- eaten workers again if I can possibly stop it."

"That seems reasonable. I doubt they will feel like raiding anytime in the near future."

Berenn will present a proposal drawing up boundaries and promising the surrounding villages will not cross those boundaries, if the gnolls don't.

Emyn says, "And what of Dorob Kithilduum? Are we so willing to dishonour the memory of Clan Delgrim and abandon their halls to evil?"

"I am quite sure the dwarves are capable of handling their own honor in due time. I seem to recall Thorgrim scolding his kin for coming here in the first place. The last time I checked, no one was designated as a champion of Clan Delgrim. I came here to find Braerindra, help the injured, recover the dead and bring an end to the hostilities. Unless you have a place where these gnolls can live in peace and are able to convince them to leave without the threat of physical force ... they stay for now. I won't draw my blades unless I am forced to defend myself."

"I am sure any agreement to cease fighting could be limited to this small keep," says Emyn. "I speak of the mines, which are far more important. I have given my oath to Thorgrim to assist in their reclamation. I cannot abandon that oath, especially for a pack of mangy dogs."

"Then let Thorgrim step up and aid in an agreement," says Rakk. "One that could hold til he and his declare war to reclaim their lands."

The conversation goes on for some time, and soon you find that the gnolls do not raid into civilized lands, because there are none hereabouts. It is a full day's ride from here to the halfling village of Littleborough, and they said they didn't even know about the gnolls. They gnolls have never bothered anyone.

The fortress of Koralgesh is the very edge of the old Kilthduum lands. After the fall of Dorob Kilthduum, as well as the above ground settlements in the valley to the SW of here (you saw the ruins of a great city from the hills by Cat's Claw Tower), this entire area was shunned. They lands of the Valley of Karaduum are believed to be haunted. Nobody knows what the situation is in Dorob Kilthduum. As for the mithril mines, they were abandoned even before the fall of Dorob Kilthduum.

The gnolls live primarily by fishing along the river and hunting the lands thereabouts. You also learn that there was a break in the leadership, when Remarr was cast out. The flind archer who is the new leader of the flinds and gnolls was actually one of Remarr's supporters, and when he learns of Remarr joining the Wild Bunch, he has a new sense of respect for them. The flinds vow to continue their existence and will not raid into the lands of the Viscounty. They already had maintained a policy of staying out of the human/halfling lands, which were a bit far away in the first place. They had no reason to bring the wrath of humans down upon themselves. They don't know of any other groups of orcs or anything in the vicinity, and have no knowledge of the mines, Dorob Kilthduum, or anything else. They do say that the lands of the valley are indeed haunted, and they generally stay clear of the ruined city. They have memories of going there long ago, and most of those who went there died. Since then they have shunned the place.

Thorgrim raises his hand. "We will uphold the truce between our peoples. Come, let us be off. If you see one of us again, let there be restraint before bloodshed." He looks at Din, who stands nearby with crossbow ready. Din has a quizzical look in his eye, but says nothing.

Theyln says "Din, are you going to let this stand? These vermin infest your ancestral home!"

"Indeed, they seemed too strong when we were by ourselves, but together..." he looks at Thorgrim hopefully, but Thorgrim is watching the Flind leader.

Theyln tries to give a rousing speech. "This does not sit well with me. Are we to leave them to grow in strength again? Are to wait until they start attacking the surrounding villages and THEN try and stop them? Only when villages are burning and the dead lie rotting? They have proven the only time they are interested in peace is when they are confronted with an equal force. The time to strike them down is NOW......BEFORE they cause harm to others. Who is with me? Din, let us clear this blasphemy from your ancestral home!"

Hepla says, "They have new leadership, let us give them a chance, one chance."

"I await the decision of Thorgrim," says Emyn. "By right of blood, these are his lands."

"I await the decision of Din," cries Theyln. "These are HIS lands. We have stood together in battle, I have never spilled blood with you or your company."

Amaris says "I would never let them live in my forest 'peaceful' or not. Their kin would quickly kill all my animal friends and burn my beloved trees."

Thorgrim turns about. "Din, where are your steeds? Come with me. We walk together."

Thorgrim and Din walk down the path the party used to approach this deathtrap. Din has crossbow at the ready. Thorgrim leaves his pick sheathed.

Amaris whistles and says, "Seems the 'heroes' of Hommlet have no problem burning to death countless innocent fey, but don't have the fortitude to deal with a few Flinds and Gnolls. Interesting."

"I would be careful when you speak about things you don't know about child!" says Berenn, obviously annoyed. "The incident you speak of was caused by one impulsive fool who died for his foolishness a long time ago. His actions were not condoned by the group."

"I know of what I speak," she snaps back. "My mother is Tamara the Dryad, and my family is the fey of the Gnarley forest. Careful friend, lest you truly instead of willfully forget what happened that day." Amaris says with an arched eyebrow.

She turns her back on the "heroes" of Hommlet, and walks out, pulling her cloak down and vanishing.

Theyln snorts and slams his longsword back in its sheath, then spins, his cloak billowing like a crimson storm as he walks out.

Thorgrim ignores her. He is speaking with Din, and as his voice fades in the breeze.

While the party is discussing things, the flinds and gnolls gather their dead and wounded. You are shocked by the small number of dead, only about 50. It seems they worked hard to save the lives of many of their kin, which are even now convalescing in makeshift infirmaries. Unfortunately, almost all of the flind leadership has been wiped out. You cannot tell exactly how strong their numbers are, but you are able to recognize at least two dozen different flinds and an equal number of gnolls.

As Din and Thorgrim are about to move off and discuss their plans, a slight murmur ripples through the gnolls and flinds that are nearby. They part, and a slender flind female with a slight crown approaches. Thorgrim turns back and notes that the crown is made of pure mithril.

Thorgrim takes another step forward, hands open. "I am called Thorgrim. Do you speak the Common tongue?" He asks Berenn over to translate if need be.

"Yes," she replies. "Me speek gud commun tung."

Thorgrim steps up and nods to the flind queen. Din looks a unhappy, standing back grumbling with one hand on his crossbow trigger. Thorgrim tells the queen (through Berenn/Hepla) that he is sorry for the losses incurred during these last weeks and offers to do what he can for the flind/gnoll wounded. She accepts, and has the archer lead him to the infirmary; Berenn goes with him. He marvels at the construction of the place, and recognizes that there is no way he can leave these flinds and gnolls here. Taking this fortress is a must for any return to Karaduum and ultimately the reconquest of Dorob Kilthduum.

Together Berenn and Thorgrim find many wounded, perhaps 25 of each. Between their spells and Berenn's rod, they are able to heal the wounded before returning outside. Queen Mirssa is quite pleased with the display of mercy shown by Berenn and Thorgrim, and she asks what they would have of her.

"You must leave this fortress," says Thorgrim resolutely. "It is time for the dwarves of Dorob Kilthduum to return home, and this," he waves his arm to encompass the fortress, "this is ours."

The flinds look back and forth as this is translated by Hepla, and the queen looks uncertain. No few looks of anger and disgust cross the faces of the flinds, though it's hard to really read them. The queen looks at her people, unsure of what to do. Mal gets the sense that she is scared.

A small goblin comes forward, standing beside the flind queen and taking her hand. You hadn't noticed it before, but it seems to be the queen's servant. It speak to Mal in goblin. "She fears for her people. If you force them to leave, they have no reason to not fight."

"What did he say?" says Thorgrim, looking at Mal.

Din mumbles something, which only the elves hear. "...gnolls, now goblins....next?" He kicks the dirt in frustration. "They are calling upon you mercy," he says. "They have no where else to go. They know the dwarvish people to be a just and fair race and ask for your permission to stay."

"We may find a place for you, yet," says Thorgrim. "But it is not here. This is my homeland, and it will be reclaimed by the Dwarves...by decree or by war. That will be a fight you cannot win."

While the queen stands looking helpless, another voice speaks.

Din is flabbergasted, and almost explodes. "Thorgrim, have you lost your mind? We cannot allow this scum to live! They desecrate the halls of our ancestors by their very presence, and defile the land with every breath they breathe. Good gods! I saw a statue of Yeenoghu inside!"

"There may be a middle way," Thorgrim says, both to the queen and to Din.

The flind queen waits, unsure of the meaning of the exchange which was likely in dwarven [though they didn't say so!].

Theyln looks outraged and turns to the members of the old party and says angrily in elvish. "You came here for what exactly? To give aid and comfort to our enemies? They only talk peace NOW because WE decimated their leadership. We already gave them a chance to negotiate on equal footing and they spit upon it, thinking to murder us all. Now you would coddle these vermin? These thieves who carry the relics of Din's ancestors? They desecrate this place with their filth and you sit there in committee wringing your hands unsure of what to do? Why did you come here to betray us?!"

"Hold your tongue, Wild Elf," Thorgrim says in dismay, surprising Theyln by speaking in Elvish. "It is not your place to speak for the Kilthduum Dwarves. We speak for ourselves, and their voice is mine. These are our lands, and not yours. You have no say. By the gods! I wish Isilme was here to beat some sense into your head. She thought you capable, because you escaped with your lives. As injured as you all were, I would doubt that. That's why we came."

Now speaking in Common, Thorgrim addresses the Flind Queen. "I would speak with you in private." He keeps his eye on Theyln, to see his reaction.

"Watch yourself," Theyln replies. "I am no wild elf, but a noble of the Celene! You are a fool! They erected a Demon god in there and you expect them to honor any agreement? Din....." he looks to Din with questioning eyes "Does this sit well with you?"

Din casts his eyes downward. "Nay, it does not..." His gaze rises again. "But I have faith in Thorgrim's wisdom."

Thorgrim chortles, "Hohoho, a Celene noble, how interesting! I have been through the Celene, more than once, and was a "guest" at their court, although those Elves could certainly stand to learn some manners. We may have dealings with your superiors, once my kingdom is restored."

The queen leans down and whispers to the goblin servant girl, and they talk for a moment in hushed tones you can't understand. She then agrees. "My servant, Kelash, come. You pick one other too."

Thorgrim nods. "Din! Come with me. I want you to bear witness to this negotiation. Un-cock your bow."

Din squints his eyes, but does as he's told. He has certainly learned a few things about hobgoblins, fighting alongside Mal: that they are fierce, intelligent, and can even act nobly! Who knows, maybe one day his racist tendencies will be overcome? he thinks.

They move off away from the others to speak. About an hour later, Thorgrim and Din emerge from their meeting with the Flind Queen. Din looks pale and stricken, though Thorgrim seems of good cheer. He announces to the party:

"The Flinds have agreed to leave the Keep, at a time of my choosing, though this time is not now. In the meanwhile, they will live in peace with the surrounding nations, as they have been. In return for their help in overtaking Dorob Kilthduum, they will be granted lands inside our new nation where they will be allowed to live in peace, unmolested by outsiders. Anyone who wishes to break this peace does so at their own peril."

Thorgrim takes a moment to look at Theyln, then at Rakk, who nods.

"Come," says Thorgrim, "Let us leave this place. I have a mind to explore the area for signs of Orcs, and to find and claim the abandoned Mithril Mine. All here present are invited to join the foray. Even foreign nobles..." he says while looking at Theyln. "Great wealth may be found inside, even though the greatest part still resides unmined in the stone. All who take part in the adventure may reap the rewards."

"Did someone say mithril?" Bree pipes up.

"You are never going to learn are you?" Berenn retorts. "But at least this time, you will have me along to keep you out of trouble. Hopefully this side trek won't take to long, I believe Rakk's mentioned some "giant" problem we should look into soon."

The groups leaves, Theyln keeping quiet and Amaris nowhere to be found. Once they get their mounts, they return to town. Back in Littleborough, you get stuck in a pretty big storm. There are gale force winds, which last for the rest of the Growfest festival. The halflings are very disappointed, as their outdoor festivities are largely ruined.

In littleborough, Amaris takes her leave of the party and refuses any coin or share.

"It was a pleasure to meet you all, but I must seek Isilme out in Hommlet, from what tales you have shared, I think perhaps with her magic she can help find my father. Besides, your group is far too suicidal for my taste." She says with a grimace.

"You don't have to look that far child" says a musical voice, as a gold skinned wild elf with tribal tattoos seems to appear out of nowhere. "I know your mother Tamara well, and she was willing to help us in our time of need. Take my hand"

They join hands and step into nothingness, seeming to both vanish!

Theyln takes time to speak with Rakk. "Many in the court speak highly of you 'Sha'quessir,' but I can't believe you would stand beside a decision like this, these creatures will ravage the land, and all in it. When they grow in strength their word will be meaningless. These are near MY lands. Like a stone thrown into a pond, the effects will ripple outwards."

"I said I disagree with it," answers calmly. "I cannot force people to go to war, as yours so kindly pointed out. I have no say in this decision, and no right to make it. All I can do is prepare for what I think will happen."

Thorgrim starts to scowl but quickly turns impassive, not wanting to provoke the impetuous and belligerent Elfling. Seeing Din clench his fists in anger, Thorgrim stays him with a hand. "For all we know, he may be right. I have no idea why Dorob Kilthduum fell, except for the Orc hordes."

"You can't let him speak to you like that!" Din implores.

"Were he and I to come to blows, there could be only one outcome," Thorgrim replies simply. "Come, have a smoke with me."

Thorgrim enters his Portable Hole, removes the keg of ale and the dragonbone pipe Isilme gave him, carved by Vaddarra herself. "Let me tell you the tale of Caustichlorinus, the Dread Green Dragon. Malgubet also may have something to say on the matter."

After some hours telling the tale of misery and woe, Thorgrim stands up.

At some point in the story, you notice tears welling up in Thelyn's eyes, and it is then you realize you have actually seen this elf before, and the armour he wears.... These are the items you recovered from the dragons lair, and this is the elf whom the queen of the Celene returned them to.

"I owe Isilme a debt of gratitude for restoring my family honor" He murmurs. "I also owe you an apology Thorgrim, as 'twas you and your allies who brought vengeance upon my fathers killer. I will trouble you no more with my doubt, but I will not lie and say the decision sits well with me."

He offers his hand.

[Theyln OOC: good choice of story to tell!]

[Thorgrim OOC: Clanggedin must've been guiding his thoughts. The point of recalling the tale was that choices and their effects can be complex, and it can be hard to discern the right course of action to take. Befriending Theyln is providence.]

Thorgrim takes Theyln's hand. "I accept your apology and your gratitude. The battle with Caustichlorinus was one of my most difficult tests, though 'twas Isilme who was most effective and Noot who landed the death-blow. Theyln, you never have need lie to me, and you may speak your mind freely whensoever you choose."

"I thought we were all going to meet our end that day!" Berenn says. Bree says nothing, but looks at her brother with some new found respect.

"Aye," says Emyn. "That beast was a fell foe. The gods smiled upon us when we survived and were victorious, though I grieve for the loss of life in the nearby gnome village still." A stricken memory flashes across his face before disappearing again.

"Come Thelyn, let's work on your sword skills. Let me teach you some defensive training since it seems you're going to need it with this bunch."

And that is the end of the Keep of Koralgesh adventure. It is one from an old Dungeon mag, number 2 in fact. I tweaked it, and it was quite fun. This long, epic battle against the gnolls and flinds has gone down in history as one of our greatest ever. Anyway, the players at this point almost merged the old and new parties, but then decided to keep them separate. The Hereoes of Hommlet would continue on and investigate the giant troubles, while the Wild Bunch would continue to search for the Mithril Mine. Stay tuned for more.

For the record, you guys are in Littleborough. It's on the far SW edge of the Viscounty. Here's the map, again.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-rOK3C_QKsGU/UuRZzCeE1NI/AAAAAAAACN8/33sSI2oPW8k/s1152/To%2520Rastor-4.JPG

Finally, here's the map of the Valley of Karaduum which I've been using. 

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-Xs9vZ5yeRaI/UxKM3ehskqI/AAAAAAAACqk/xs0z_eEIXHA/s1349/Fullscreen%2520capture%2520312014%252054317%2520PM.jpg
    Master Greytalker

Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:07 am  
    Part 21 - Epilogue

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-x9Oqc4PwEyQ/U46WnoWfLLI/AAAAAAAADyI/SbYHiADNtwU/s912/Level%25203.jpg

[DM OOC: You also can check out the entire level. I'll give you the full map. Now, I'm not going to assume you ransack the place, as it seems Berenn is going to look at making peace. We'll see. Anyway, most of the rooms on this level are barracks for flinds, storage rooms, or kitchens and eating rooms. The room that stands out is 15, as it is the great room. There are two large chairs on a platform there. You don't run into any more gnolls or flinds, as they are staying away, for now. ]

Berenn uses his Rod of Xodal to heal all of the Wild Bunch some, and they hand out a few potions of healing which Thorgrim brought. It's enough to mostly heal everyone. Combat Notes are updated; assume everyone is totally healed.

Thorgrim finds Din. "What are you doing here in this wild place?" he asks him. "I thought I bade you to avoid this fortress and find the mithril mine and report, before traveling back to Thunderstrike?"

"We were seeking Antonia, whom we lost fighting these dogs," Din replies flatly.

"Why would you do that?" Thorgrim presses. "Hadn't you already lost many compatriots in your attempts to enter here? Why have you disobeyed my orders?"

"I'M NOT YOUR LACKEY!" Din shouts. "You don't control me, nor anybody here!" He crosses his arms in defiance.

Thorgrim is startled, then recovers. "I am sorry, Din. You're right." Silence fills the air. "Well, were you successful, at least?"

Din looks pained. "No, she was never here until we returned...and now she is dead, along with many others."

Thorgrim thinks for a moment, then puts a hand on Din's shoulder. "I am sorry for your loss. Such are the ways of war. There will be many more lost, before our task is complete. Well, perhaps we might find the mithril mine together."

Din brightens a bit. "Perhaps..."

Amaris stays quiet and is very wary of the newcomers. She has heard stories of the "heroes of Hommlet" from the fey of the gnarley forest - and not good ones. "There are those among you who brought great harm to my friends without cause, forgive me if I am less than excited to see you here," she says coldly.

"Your actions are noteworthy, good cavalier," says Emyn, standing before Theyln. "You have much honour in you. Now let us retrieve your fallen party members."

To Thorgrim he then adds, "I understand from what Dymir said that there is a crypt with undead dwarves down here somewhere. Maybe you can help them find their rightful rest."

His feelings hurt Mal sulks a bit. Hobgoblin get showed no respect. Where's my friend bry's ghost? he wonders. If Im going to get disrespected it should at least be by him. "I leave undead warves to Thorgrims care," he then says to nobody in particular.

Emyn says to Mal in an even tone,"It's hard to respect reckless leadership. Not everyone can act like Gotrek and survive. I hope you learned your lesson because it was a hard taught one with so many of your comrades dead due to your collective folly." He's not even trying to be mean or condescending...just saying it matter of fact.

Hepla kisses Emyn than says,"Those are good suggestion but I think we are safe going just to where the bodies are. After all these guys killed almost everything in this area. A couple of gnolls were left but even I was able to handle them. We have Noot to handle traps and great fighters to handle threats."

"Mal, it would be an honor to have you along, come on," she says, trying to sooth the clearly angry hobgoblin warrior.

"I would advise against bringing anyone that attacked the gnolls with us during the retrieval," says Berenn again. "We are here to retrieve our dead and leave. Bringing part of the party that just attacked them would most definitely provoke the gnolls. I have no desire to see anymore bloodshed this day. I would also keep the group going in as small as possible, a large group maybe interpreted as another attack. The gnolls present no real threat to us, so I would suggest no more than four or five people go down. Since I can speak gnoll, I will go and Noot will be useful in case they have set any hasty traps. Rakk, Hepla and Emyn can make up the rest of the party."
    "Who in the hell is Gotrek?" asks Mal.

Thorgrim will stay behind with The Wild Bunch, offering protection while the rest of the party checks out the Keep. "Don't disturb the Dwarven spirits," he says.

"Though it seems you need little protection," he says to Din. "From your tale, it seems you wiped out 95 percent of the population before leaving the keep in flames. It is highly unusual to see Flinds so fierce, more so for Gnolls. I wonder what secret they were protecting?"

Mal's respectful reply surprises everyone (including Mal). "I am sorry, but I was sent to clear mine and remove evil."

Thorgrim looks at Mal. "Actually, I was the one who sent Din to check out the mine. Or at least I told him of it. While Dorob Kilthduum itself may be too dangerous for you to clear, I supposed the surrounding lands may be less so. Perhaps I was wrong." Thorgrim looks at the wrapped up body of Toni, as the others lower her into the Portable Hole. He then takes out his pipe and has a smoke, wishing he had some of that kuo toan herb.....

Meanwhile the others proceed down the stairs and enter the corridors of the second level. They find a lot of dead bodies there, and also a group of flinds and gnolls to the north, maybe a half-dozen. A few are the plate-armored ones with halberds, a few have flindbars, and a few others have longswords. They seem to be led by one of the archer types. A handful of gnolls with spetums also stand nearby. They have dragged the bodies of their wounded back to safety in the further chamber [area 9].

Emyn shouts, "Leave in peace and you will not be harmed. Seek a fight and we will destroy you. We have killed a dragon. You are no challenge."

The flinds and gnolls are not really in a mood to fight, though they aren't just going to let you walk through their fortress. However, they flind leader (the archer type) agrees to a cease-fire. You may collect your dead if they may collect theirs.

[Emyn OOC: We agree but do not let our guard down. We collect our dead and their posessions.]

The party is able to gather the bodies of the fallen, and then retire back to the above level. They find that the Wild Bunch has also gathered the bodies of the dead gnolls/flinds. As they consider their next more, a party of flinds appears, well armed, but apparently willing to talk.....

Hepla, casts Tongues and says," To whom do I have the honor of speaking and on what subject shall we talk? I thank you brave flind warriors for coming here, I am Dame Hepla, wife of Sir Emyn, first lady of the order of the Cat. Please call me Hepla."

"I would suggest Berenn talk as well as," says Rakk. "My negotiating skills are scant and oft come to blows that weren't truly needed. I am often far too blunt but we need to limit their raiding area. But they do need food . . . Berenn you were looking for trade, they may be willing to trade for livestock."

Hepla nods and says," This is Lord Berenn, he is good at talking to too."

Theyln growls "You are in no position to dictate terms to us. You already spit upon my offer of peace. I give you permission to leave. Otherwise I give you permission to die." He says grimly.

Thorgrim places his hand on Theyln's shoulder. "It looks to me as though the fight is over," he says, before releasing his grip. He casts Tongues, and asks the Flind leader, "How did you and your tribe come to be here? From whence did you come?"

Theyln shrugs off the hand. Although he refrains from pissing on the Flind bodies, his disdain is obvious.

Emyn says, "Maybe this is an opportunity to learn more about the mines and other things around here. We can probably intimidate the flinds and gnolls into telling us what they know about this area."

"The gnolls have been invaded and many of them lie dead. Does anyone think they are going to let us stroll through without putting up resistance? We could easily overpower the gnolls and probably clear this place, but I see no honor in it. I thought I was doing a great deed by removing Chaustichlorinus from this world and it did bring closure to some, but misery to others. Have we not learned anything from our adventures? Just because you are capable of a certain action, it doesn't always mean you should take it. I took an oath to safe guard the helpless and it applies to all those I deem helpless."

Rakk looks at Berenn for a minute, "Have you ever seen a farmhouse after a gnoll raiding party goes looking for food? We can negotiate now for where they can range, or I can return later with those who will come and 'negotiate' then. I have a short temper and am very blunt. I'd rather someone work out a living arrangement, but I won't see another burnt-out farm with 1/2- eaten workers again if I can possibly stop it."

"That seems reasonable. I doubt they will feel like raiding anytime in the near future."

Berenn will present a proposal drawing up boundaries and promising the surrounding villages will not cross those boundaries, if the gnolls don't.

Emyn says, "And what of Dorob Kithilduum? Are we so willing to dishonour the memory of Clan Delgrim and abandon their halls to evil?"

"I am quite sure the dwarves are capable of handling their own honor in due time. I seem to recall Thorgrim scolding his kin for coming here in the first place. The last time I checked, no one was designated as a champion of Clan Delgrim. I came here to find Braerindra, help the injured, recover the dead and bring an end to the hostilities. Unless you have a place where these gnolls can live in peace and are able to convince them to leave without the threat of physical force ... they stay for now. I won't draw my blades unless I am forced to defend myself."

"I am sure any agreement to cease fighting could be limited to this small keep," says Emyn. "I speak of the mines, which are far more important. I have given my oath to Thorgrim to assist in their reclamation. I cannot abandon that oath, especially for a pack of mangy dogs."

"Then let Thorgrim step up and aid in an agreement," says Rakk. "One that could hold til he and his declare war to reclaim their lands."

The conversation goes on for some time, and soon you find that the gnolls do not raid into civilized lands, because there are none hereabouts. It is a full day's ride from here to the halfling village of Littleborough, and they said they didn't even know about the gnolls. They gnolls have never bothered anyone.

The fortress of Koralgesh is the very edge of the old Kilthduum lands. After the fall of Dorob Kilthduum, as well as the above ground settlements in the valley to the SW of here (you saw the ruins of a great city from the hills by Cat's Claw Tower), this entire area was shunned. They lands of the Valley of Karaduum are believed to be haunted. Nobody knows what the situation is in Dorob Kilthduum. As for the mithril mines, they were abandoned even before the fall of Dorob Kilthduum.

The gnolls live primarily by fishing along the river and hunting the lands thereabouts. You also learn that there was a break in the leadership, when Remarr was cast out. The flind archer who is the new leader of the flinds and gnolls was actually one of Remarr's supporters, and when he learns of Remarr joining the Wild Bunch, he has a new sense of respect for them. The flinds vow to continue their existence and will not raid into the lands of the Viscounty. They already had maintained a policy of staying out of the human/halfling lands, which were a bit far away in the first place. They had no reason to bring the wrath of humans down upon themselves. They don't know of any other groups of orcs or anything in the vicinity, and have no knowledge of the mines, Dorob Kilthduum, or anything else. They do say that the lands of the valley are indeed haunted, and they generally stay clear of the ruined city. They have memories of going there long ago, and most of those who went there died. Since then they have shunned the place.

Thorgrim raises his hand. "We will uphold the truce between our peoples. Come, let us be off. If you see one of us again, let there be restraint before bloodshed." He looks at Din, who stands nearby with crossbow ready. Din has a quizzical look in his eye, but says nothing.

Theyln says "Din, are you going to let this stand? These vermin infest your ancestral home!"

"Indeed, they seemed too strong when we were by ourselves, but together..." he looks at Thorgrim hopefully, but Thorgrim is watching the Flind leader.

Theyln tries to give a rousing speech. "This does not sit well with me. Are we to leave them to grow in strength again? Are to wait until they start attacking the surrounding villages and THEN try and stop them? Only when villages are burning and the dead lie rotting? They have proven the only time they are interested in peace is when they are confronted with an equal force. The time to strike them down is NOW......BEFORE they cause harm to others. Who is with me? Din, let us clear this blasphemy from your ancestral home!"

Hepla says, "They have new leadership, let us give them a chance, one chance."

"I await the decision of Thorgrim," says Emyn. "By right of blood, these are his lands."

"I await the decision of Din," cries Theyln. "These are HIS lands. We have stood together in battle, I have never spilled blood with you or your company."

Amaris says "I would never let them live in my forest 'peaceful' or not. Their kin would quickly kill all my animal friends and burn my beloved trees."

Thorgrim turns about. "Din, where are your steeds? Come with me. We walk together."

Thorgrim and Din walk down the path the party used to approach this deathtrap. Din has crossbow at the ready. Thorgrim leaves his pick sheathed.

Amaris whistles and says, "Seems the 'heroes' of Hommlet have no problem burning to death countless innocent fey, but don't have the fortitude to deal with a few Flinds and Gnolls. Interesting."

"I would be careful when you speak about things you don't know about child!" says Berenn, obviously annoyed. "The incident you speak of was caused by one impulsive fool who died for his foolishness a long time ago. His actions were not condoned by the group."

"I know of what I speak," she snaps back. "My mother is Tamara the Dryad, and my family is the fey of the Gnarley forest. Careful friend, lest you truly instead of willfully forget what happened that day." Amaris says with an arched eyebrow.

She turns her back on the "heroes" of Hommlet, and walks out, pulling her cloak down and vanishing.

Theyln snorts and slams his longsword back in its sheath, then spins, his cloak billowing like a crimson storm as he walks out.

Thorgrim ignores her. He is speaking with Din, and as his voice fades in the breeze.

While the party is discussing things, the flinds and gnolls gather their dead and wounded. You are shocked by the small number of dead, only about 50. It seems they worked hard to save the lives of many of their kin, which are even now convalescing in makeshift infirmaries. Unfortunately, almost all of the flind leadership has been wiped out. You cannot tell exactly how strong their numbers are, but you are able to recognize at least two dozen different flinds and an equal number of gnolls.

As Din and Thorgrim are about to move off and discuss their plans, a slight murmur ripples through the gnolls and flinds that are nearby. They part, and a slender flind female with a slight crown approaches. Thorgrim turns back and notes that the crown is made of pure mithril.

Thorgrim takes another step forward, hands open. "I am called Thorgrim. Do you speak the Common tongue?" He asks Berenn over to translate if need be.

"Yes," she replies. "Me speek gud commun tung."

Thorgrim steps up and nods to the flind queen. Din looks a unhappy, standing back grumbling with one hand on his crossbow trigger. Thorgrim tells the queen (through Berenn/Hepla) that he is sorry for the losses incurred during these last weeks and offers to do what he can for the flind/gnoll wounded. She accepts, and has the archer lead him to the infirmary; Berenn goes with him. He marvels at the construction of the place, and recognizes that there is no way he can leave these flinds and gnolls here. Taking this fortress is a must for any return to Karaduum and ultimately the reconquest of Dorob Kilthduum.

Together Berenn and Thorgrim find many wounded, perhaps 25 of each. Between their spells and Berenn's rod, they are able to heal the wounded before returning outside. Queen Mirssa is quite pleased with the display of mercy shown by Berenn and Thorgrim, and she asks what they would have of her.

"You must leave this fortress," says Thorgrim resolutely. "It is time for the dwarves of Dorob Kilthduum to return home, and this," he waves his arm to encompass the fortress, "this is ours."

The flinds look back and forth as this is translated by Hepla, and the queen looks uncertain. No few looks of anger and disgust cross the faces of the flinds, though it's hard to really read them. The queen looks at her people, unsure of what to do. Mal gets the sense that she is scared.

A small goblin comes forward, standing beside the flind queen and taking her hand. You hadn't noticed it before, but it seems to be the queen's servant. It speak to Mal in goblin. "She fears for her people. If you force them to leave, they have no reason to not fight."

"What did he say?" says Thorgrim, looking at Mal.

Din mumbles something, which only the elves hear. "...gnolls, now goblins....next?" He kicks the dirt in frustration. "They are calling upon you mercy," he says. "They have no where else to go. They know the dwarvish people to be a just and fair race and ask for your permission to stay."

"We may find a place for you, yet," says Thorgrim. "But it is not here. This is my homeland, and it will be reclaimed by the Dwarves...by decree or by war. That will be a fight you cannot win."

While the queen stands looking helpless, another voice speaks.

Din is flabbergasted, and almost explodes. "Thorgrim, have you lost your mind? We cannot allow this scum to live! They desecrate the halls of our ancestors by their very presence, and defile the land with every breath they breathe. Good gods! I saw a statue of Yeenoghu inside!"

"There may be a middle way," Thorgrim says, both to the queen and to Din.

The flind queen waits, unsure of the meaning of the exchange which was likely in dwarven [though they didn't say so!].

Theyln looks outraged and turns to the members of the old party and says angrily in elvish. "You came here for what exactly? To give aid and comfort to our enemies? They only talk peace NOW because WE decimated their leadership. We already gave them a chance to negotiate on equal footing and they spit upon it, thinking to murder us all. Now you would coddle these vermin? These thieves who carry the relics of Din's ancestors? They desecrate this place with their filth and you sit there in committee wringing your hands unsure of what to do? Why did you come here to betray us?!"

"Hold your tongue, Wild Elf," Thorgrim says in dismay, surprising Theyln by speaking in Elvish. "It is not your place to speak for the Kilthduum Dwarves. We speak for ourselves, and their voice is mine. These are our lands, and not yours. You have no say. By the gods! I wish Isilme was here to beat some sense into your head. She thought you capable, because you escaped with your lives. As injured as you all were, I would doubt that. That's why we came."

Now speaking in Common, Thorgrim addresses the Flind Queen. "I would speak with you in private." He keeps his eye on Theyln, to see his reaction.

"Watch yourself," Theyln replies. "I am no wild elf, but a noble of the Celene! You are a fool! They erected a Demon god in there and you expect them to honor any agreement? Din....." he looks to Din with questioning eyes "Does this sit well with you?"

Din casts his eyes downward. "Nay, it does not..." His gaze rises again. "But I have faith in Thorgrim's wisdom."

Thorgrim chortles, "Hohoho, a Celene noble, how interesting! I have been through the Celene, more than once, and was a "guest" at their court, although those Elves could certainly stand to learn some manners. We may have dealings with your superiors, once my kingdom is restored."

The queen leans down and whispers to the goblin servant girl, and they talk for a moment in hushed tones you can't understand. She then agrees. "My servant, Kelash, come. You pick one other too."

Thorgrim nods. "Din! Come with me. I want you to bear witness to this negotiation. Un-cock your bow."

Din squints his eyes, but does as he's told. He has certainly learned a few things about hobgoblins, fighting alongside Mal: that they are fierce, intelligent, and can even act nobly! Who knows, maybe one day his racist tendencies will be overcome? he thinks.

They move off away from the others to speak. About an hour later, Thorgrim and Din emerge from their meeting with the Flind Queen. Din looks pale and stricken, though Thorgrim seems of good cheer. He announces to the party:

"The Flinds have agreed to leave the Keep, at a time of my choosing, though this time is not now. In the meanwhile, they will live in peace with the surrounding nations, as they have been. In return for their help in overtaking Dorob Kilthduum, they will be granted lands inside our new nation where they will be allowed to live in peace, unmolested by outsiders. Anyone who wishes to break this peace does so at their own peril."

Thorgrim takes a moment to look at Theyln, then at Rakk, who nods.

"Come," says Thorgrim, "Let us leave this place. I have a mind to explore the area for signs of Orcs, and to find and claim the abandoned Mithril Mine. All here present are invited to join the foray. Even foreign nobles..." he says while looking at Theyln. "Great wealth may be found inside, even though the greatest part still resides unmined in the stone. All who take part in the adventure may reap the rewards."

"Did someone say mithril?" Bree pipes up.

"You are never going to learn are you?" Berenn retorts. "But at least this time, you will have me along to keep you out of trouble. Hopefully this side trek won't take to long, I believe Rakk's mentioned some "giant" problem we should look into soon."

The groups leaves, Theyln keeping quiet and Amaris nowhere to be found. Once they get their mounts, they return to town. Back in Littleborough, you get stuck in a pretty big storm. There are gale force winds, which last for the rest of the Growfest festival. The halflings are very disappointed, as their outdoor festivities are largely ruined.

In littleborough, Amaris takes her leave of the party and refuses any coin or share.

"It was a pleasure to meet you all, but I must seek Isilme out in Hommlet, from what tales you have shared, I think perhaps with her magic she can help find my father. Besides, your group is far too suicidal for my taste." She says with a grimace.

"You don't have to look that far child" says a musical voice, as a gold skinned wild elf with tribal tattoos seems to appear out of nowhere. "I know your mother Tamara well, and she was willing to help us in our time of need. Take my hand"

They join hands and step into nothingness, seeming to both vanish!

Theyln takes time to speak with Rakk. "Many in the court speak highly of you 'Sha'quessir,' but I can't believe you would stand beside a decision like this, these creatures will ravage the land, and all in it. When they grow in strength their word will be meaningless. These are near MY lands. Like a stone thrown into a pond, the effects will ripple outwards."

"I said I disagree with it," answers calmly. "I cannot force people to go to war, as yours so kindly pointed out. I have no say in this decision, and no right to make it. All I can do is prepare for what I think will happen."

Thorgrim starts to scowl but quickly turns impassive, not wanting to provoke the impetuous and belligerent Elfling. Seeing Din clench his fists in anger, Thorgrim stays him with a hand. "For all we know, he may be right. I have no idea why Dorob Kilthduum fell, except for the Orc hordes."

"You can't let him speak to you like that!" Din implores.

"Were he and I to come to blows, there could be only one outcome," Thorgrim replies simply. "Come, have a smoke with me."

Thorgrim enters his Portable Hole, removes the keg of ale and the dragonbone pipe Isilme gave him, carved by Vaddarra herself. "Let me tell you the tale of Caustichlorinus, the Dread Green Dragon. Malgubet also may have something to say on the matter."

After some hours telling the tale of misery and woe, Thorgrim stands up.

At some point in the story, you notice tears welling up in Thelyn's eyes, and it is then you realize you have actually seen this elf before, and the armour he wears.... These are the items you recovered from the dragons lair, and this is the elf whom the queen of the Celene returned them to.

"I owe Isilme a debt of gratitude for restoring my family honor" He murmurs. "I also owe you an apology Thorgrim, as 'twas you and your allies who brought vengeance upon my fathers killer. I will trouble you no more with my doubt, but I will not lie and say the decision sits well with me."

He offers his hand.

[Theyln OOC: good choice of story to tell!]

[Thorgrim OOC: Clanggedin must've been guiding his thoughts. The point of recalling the tale was that choices and their effects can be complex, and it can be hard to discern the right course of action to take. Befriending Theyln is providence.]

Thorgrim takes Theyln's hand. "I accept your apology and your gratitude. The battle with Caustichlorinus was one of my most difficult tests, though 'twas Isilme who was most effective and Noot who landed the death-blow. Theyln, you never have need lie to me, and you may speak your mind freely whensoever you choose."

"I thought we were all going to meet our end that day!" Berenn says. Bree says nothing, but looks at her brother with some new found respect.

"Aye," says Emyn. "That beast was a fell foe. The gods smiled upon us when we survived and were victorious, though I grieve for the loss of life in the nearby gnome village still." A stricken memory flashes across his face before disappearing again.

"Come Thelyn, let's work on your sword skills. Let me teach you some defensive training since it seems you're going to need it with this bunch."

And that is the end of the Keep of Koralgesh adventure. It is one from an old Dungeon mag, number 2 in fact. I tweaked it, and it was quite fun. This long, epic battle against the gnolls and flinds has gone down in history as one of our greatest ever. Anyway, the players at this point almost merged the old and new parties, but then decided to keep them separate. The Hereoes of Hommlet would continue on and investigate the giant troubles, while the Wild Bunch would continue to search for the Mithril Mine. Stay tuned for more.

For the record, you guys are in Littleborough. It's on the far SW edge of the Viscounty. Here's the map, again.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-rOK3C_QKsGU/UuRZzCeE1NI/AAAAAAAACN8/33sSI2oPW8k/s1152/To%2520Rastor-4.JPG

Finally, here's the map of the Valley of Karaduum which I've been using. 

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-Xs9vZ5yeRaI/UxKM3ehskqI/AAAAAAAACqk/xs0z_eEIXHA/s1349/Fullscreen%2520capture%2520312014%252054317%2520PM.jpg
       Canonfire Forum Index -> Campaign Journals & General Online Play All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: