JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Mirror of Life Trapping
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- AD&D 2nd Edition
    Mirror of Life Trapping
    GreySage

Sun May 31, 2015 7:51 am  
    Mirror of Life Trapping

Check out the DMG for a description of this item, but it notes that anyone seeing their reflection (who is within 30 feet of the mirror) must make a saving throw vs. magic to avoid entrapment.

How often must the target roll to avoid this effect? Is it once per round, per turn, etc.? The DMG does not say. I would imagine that if the recipient successfully make his/her save, then that person is "immune" from entrapment for the duration of that reflective interaction (length could vary, of course). The description does not say.

Opinions on the matter are welcome.

-Lanthorn
    GreySage

Sun May 31, 2015 9:33 am  

It could also be argued that a successful save indicates that the looker quickly averted their gaze as they felt the magical assault begin. Any PC that forces themselves to look long into the mirror for any reason either has to make new saves every round or gets a serious penalty on the initial save to avoid the magical effects.

SirXaris

Sun May 31, 2015 10:39 am  

I take the stance that the successful save means the victim has resisted the effects of the mirror's deadly powers for that interaction, in the same vein that a successful saving throw against a harpy's song gives that person immunity vs. the effect for that encounter.

In another thread, I discussed how to avoid being trapped, and offer that the 4th lvl priest spell called "Dimensional Anchor" is one way, but among wizards, thinking that "Gaze Reflection" would work.

Also wondering if it is possible for a trapped spell-caster to use dimensional magics to escape-
    For wizards, Blink, Dimension Door, Improved Blink, Etherealness, Phase Door, Teleport, or Teleport without Error.
    For priests, Etherealness, Dimensional Folding, Plane Shift, or Word of Recall.

Anyone else? Ideas and comments are welcome!

-Lanthorn
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:02 am  

Treat it similar to a gaze attack. You look at the mirror, you have to save. Look at it again, you have to save again. Don't want to have to make saves? Quit looking at it then! Razz

Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:52 pm  

OK, fair enough...

...wondering what you think about my previous question regarding using dimensional magic to escape imprisonment. My friend and I are debating what spells are possible, and which ones are insufficient.

Finally, I will toss this one out there, as well: Can a wizard cast "Identify" on the back side of the mirror, thereby avoiding the reflective surface (and thus, the dangerous part) of the Mirror, and still gain the proper divinatory information from the spell?

If, as you and I agree on another thread (regarding "Identify"), that all is needed is a touch, I'd think this maneuver is possible.

-Lanthorn
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:01 pm  

Sure.

Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:49 am  

OK, wondering what spells you think are possible to permit a trapped victim to escape dimensional imprisonment.

-Lanthorn
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:31 am  

Wish, or limited wish if you are feeling very generous. It is not like a trapped individual is simply on another plane of existence, such that planar travel/movement could get them out, and dimension door/teleport are limited to the plane/dimension the caster is in, meaning they stay trapped. They really are stuck unless they have some really powerful magic, or a friend on the outside who can figure out how to release them.
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: