JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Best high level adventures
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Best high level adventures
    Journeyman Greytalker

Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:09 am  
    Best high level adventures

What are the best high level (16th and up) adventures throughout the various editions? I'm partial to 2nd edition, but have used adventures from 1st and 3rd after converting to 2nd edition rules.
    GreySage

Sun Jun 21, 2015 5:57 pm  

xo42,

Regrettably, I cannot offhand think of any actual modules from 1e or 2e of that high level caliber (most of mine stop around level 10-12), and as all of my PCs are not even to double digit numbers, the idea of such powerful characters staggers my mind. Shocked

However, of the modules that I do own that even come close to that range, I'd list the following:

The "Against the Giants" series (G1-3), The Drow/Underdark series (D1-3) and associated "Queen of the Demonweb Pits" (Q1), Tomb of Horrors, White Plume Mountain, and perhaps Isle of the Ape (a knock-off of Skull Island with Oonga as King Kong).

-Lanthorn
    GreySage

Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:12 pm  

I agree with Lanthorn's list:

GDQ
    Isle of the Ape - This one is especially good for putting super PCs with way too much magic items in their place. Wink
    Tomb of Horrors

I'll also add the Adventure Path: The Savage Tide. It just keeps getting better and better, the higher in level the PCs get. They return to the Isle of Dread, travel to the abyss and encounter Iggwilv, and finally lead a conglomerate army of demons and angels in an assault on Demogorgon himself. Happy

SirXaris

Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:06 pm  

I'd add a few more to that list:

Into the Wormcrawl Fissure (Dungeon Magazine #134) - From the Age of Worms Adventure Path, level 19-20.

Return to the Tomb of Horrors - For level 13-16; a worthy (though inferior) follow-up to the original ToH. Still, as far as high level GH modules go, its better than most offerings by TSR at the time.
    Forum Moderator

Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:53 pm  

Into the Wormcrawl Fissure was quite good. I remember running that and was more pleased with it than the actual climatic issue of Age of Worms.

It's not easy thinking of high level stuff is it? Hm. Laughing
    Journeyman Greytalker

Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:12 am  

mortellan wrote:
    Into the Wormcrawl Fissure was quite good. I remember running that and was more pleased with it than the actual climatic issue of Age of Worms.

It's not easy thinking of high level stuff is it? Hm. Laughing

Yes, my players and I also enjoyed Into the Wormcrawl Fissure more than the finale to AoW. The battle with Big D took two 6-hour sessions and was perhaps the best (and longest) boss battle I've ever run. Good times.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:51 am  

I would also include the 3.5 update of Maure Castle from Dungeon #112 and the subsequent additional levels that were published in later issues. All of it was outstanding stuff and very challenging. I think Maure Castle was designed for level 12-16 and the later levels were meant for 16th level and higher.
    Master Greytalker

Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:10 pm  

No one's mentioned "Threshold of Evil" from DUNGEON #10. It's a well-written, high-level, setting-neutral adventure that's easily adaptable to Greyhawk. (I'd set it in the Crystalmists.)
    Journeyman Greytalker

Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:07 pm  

DMPrata wrote:
    No one's mentioned "Threshold of Evil" from DUNGEON #10. It's a well-written, high-level, setting-neutral adventure that's easily adaptable to Greyhawk. (I'd set it in the Crystalmists.)

Oh yeah! Is that the one with the three leprous prophets of Anthraxus? If so, then yes it deserves mention. I forgot all about that one.

Anyone remember if The Dancing Hut by Roger Moore was GH specific or setting-neutral?
    GreySage

Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:31 pm  

I remember Thiondar's Legacy from Dungeon Magazine #30. It was a long, fun adventure back in the day. Smile

Also, Expedition to the Ruins of Greyhawk being a fun read-through for a high level party, though I never ran it, nor played through it.

SirXaris

Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:14 pm  

Much of the lower levels of the Tower of Power in Ruins of Greyhawk could be turned into a high-level adventure with little work.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:59 am  

Luz wrote:
    DMPrata wrote:

Oh yeah! Is that the one with the three leprous prophets of Anthraxus? If so, then yes it deserves mention. I forgot all about that one.

Anyone remember if The Dancing Hut by Roger Moore was GH specific or setting-neutral?

My error here...I mistook Threshold of Evil for The Dark Conventicle from Dungeon #11. Its an excellent adventure as well, although its setting neutral and designed for level 8-12 so I don't think it qualifies to the OP's request for 16th level and up.

And I checked on The Dancing Hut, it is for level 9 and up. But I imagine if a party were to try to defeat Baba Yaga they would certainly need to above 14th level. It is also setting-neutral, but I think since its publication there was an effort to connect Baba Yaga to Greyhawk. I believe Iggwilv is suggested to be one of her daughters, but Baba Yaga named her Natasha, not Iggwilv, which was shortened to Tasha (of Tasha's Hideous Laughter) and then later she adopted the name Iggwilv before discovering the Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth. At least, this is how my (questionable) memory remembers the story.
    Adept Greytalker

Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:49 pm  
    A few more

Here's a few more:

One Greyhawk specific adventure that was high level in 2e was from the WGR2 Accessory "Treasures of Greyhawk". It was "A Sword for a Hero", and it is essentially just a red dragon's lair with some traps and fire giant guards. But properly played, it can be a climax to a series of adventures to find a long lost sword.

Another official high level module was Monte Cook's "Labyrinth of Madness". It was done in the style of the Tomb of Horrors, with a dungeon of many traps and tricks, and an illustration booklet. It was advertised as for levels 15 and higher. The module as written is hideously difficult, as movement through the dungeon is dependent on the players discovering how to utilize a series of sigils that are scattered in the maze. I set the place in the far north of Greyhawk, past the Lands of Black Ice in the Rigodruok (from the Greyhawk Adventures hardcover book) region.

As played, WGR6 the City of Skulls, while made for levels 9-12, can easily be tailored up to tougher levels.

Give these a try!

O-D
    Adept Greytalker

Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:35 pm  
    And a few more

I also thought of a few more:

A Paladin in Hell is placed in a generic setting, but can be modified to Greyhawk pretty easilly. Very difficult, involving players travelling to the Hells by way of a demonic ship that is actually a moving plane of the Abyss. What fun! An appearance by Emirikol the Chaotic is a nice touch.

The Apocalypse Stone is an OK adventure, there are some good points and some things that are not my cup of tea, but can be used to end your campaigns on a bang when the PC levels start getting too high.

Take a look in the Oerth Journal, issues 21 through 25. There are a couple fan made modules in these that may be modified to be 1st or 2nd editions.

As mentioned earlier, there are many more adventures in the level 10 to 14 range that, if properly played and/or modified, can still provide challenges to the higher level characters. Die, Vecna, Die!, The Liberation of Geoff, some of the Planescape and Ravenloft adventures can all be set up to be run at higher levels. The key is usually how lenient the DM will be. If you don't fudge the rules/die rolls even the highest level characters can be stiffly challenged in the 10 - 14 level range.

O-D
    Journeyman Greytalker

Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:54 pm  

Ozmund-Davizid wrote:

Another official high level module was Monte Cook's "Labyrinth of Madness". It was done in the style of the Tomb of Horrors, with a dungeon of many traps and tricks, and an illustration booklet. It was advertised as for levels 15 and higher. The module as written is hideously difficult, as movement through the dungeon is dependent on the players discovering how to utilize a series of sigils that are scattered in the maze. I set the place in the far north of Greyhawk, past the Lands of Black Ice in the Rigodruok (from the Greyhawk Adventures hardcover book) region.

Good call, although not one of my personal favorites...I felt it tried too hard to one-up ToH. And the Aerthun boss is pretty silly IMO. Still, it is very well written, has some ingenious traps and some great production values. An interesting tidbit is, according to wikipedia, Labyrinth of Madness was intended to be released as part of the "S" series, which means its original roots were in Greyhawk.

Ozmund-Davizid wrote:

As played, WGR6 the City of Skulls, while made for levels 9-12, can easily be tailored up to tougher levels.

Yes, especially when used with the Iuz the Evil accessory. Lots of high level baddies in there. I ran this module when it first came out and it was very fun.

Ozmund-Davizid wrote:

Take a look in the Oerth Journal, issues 21 through 25. There are a couple fan made modules in these that may be modified to be 1st or 2nd editions.

Hey I wrote one of those high level modules (I think it was issue #22). Thanks for the plug! Wink

Ozmund-Davizid wrote:

As mentioned earlier, there are many more adventures in the level 10 to 14 range that, if properly played and/or modified, can still provide challenges to the higher level characters. Die, Vecna, Die!, The Liberation of Geoff, some of the Planescape and Ravenloft adventures can all be set up to be run at higher levels. The key is usually how lenient the DM will be. If you don't fudge the rules/die rolls even the highest level characters can be stiffly challenged in the 10 - 14 level range.

I agree. Vault of the Drow has enough flexibility to challenge PCs above 14th level, and the previously mentioned Tomb of Horrors certainly doesn't need any modifying to seriously threaten a higher level group. I left the Vecna modules off my list, while they may be for high level I couldn't place them among the best.

Down With The Wizard by Rob Kuntz, published in WG8 Fate of Istus - Another that could quite easily be pushed to 16th level, its one of the better adventures in the anthology, designed for 9th-12th level. The BBEG is a classic villain and very powerful, an enterprising DM could have a lot of fun with him.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:55 pm  

Ozmund-Davizid wrote:

Good call, although not one of my personal favorites...I felt it tried too hard to one-up ToH. And the Aerthun boss is pretty silly IMO. Still, it is very well written, has some ingenious traps and some great production values. An interesting tidbit is, according to wikipedia, Labyrinth of Madness was intended to be released as part of the "S" series, which means its original roots were in Greyhawk.

Ozmund-Davizid wrote:

Yes, especially when used with the Iuz the Evil accessory. Lots of high level baddies in there. I ran this module when it first came out and it was very fun.

Ozmund-Davizid wrote:

Hey I wrote one of those high level modules (I think it was issue #22). Thanks for the plug! Wink

Ozmund-Davizid wrote:

I agree. Vault of the Drow has enough flexibility to challenge PCs above 14th level, and the previously mentioned Tomb of Horrors certainly doesn't need any modifying to seriously threaten a higher level group. I left the Vecna modules off my list, while they may be for high level I couldn't place them among the best.

Down With The Wizard by Rob Kuntz, published in WG8 Fate of Istus - Another that could quite easily be pushed to 16th level, its one of the better adventures in the anthology, designed for 9th-12th level. The BBEG is a classic villain and very powerful, an enterprising DM could have a lot of fun with him.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:08 am  

SirXaris wrote:
    I agree with Lanthorn's list:

GDQ
    Isle of the Ape - This one is especially good for putting super PCs with way too much magic items in their place. Wink
    Tomb of Horrors

I'll also add the Adventure Path: The Savage Tide. It just keeps getting better and better, the higher in level the PCs get. They return to the Isle of Dread, travel to the abyss and encounter Iggwilv, and finally lead a conglomerate army of demons and angels in an assault on Demogorgon himself. Happy

SirXaris

I agree Isle of the Ape is a great adventure and I had a lot of fun running it, but honestly my players didn't have too much trouble getting through it. Oonga was a great fight, but even he got worn down by several powerful fighters all at once. I do remember the party getting really lucky with rolls though.

I have all the Savage Tide, but haven't had a chance to run it yet. I have just quickly read through it though and it seems very cool.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:11 am  

Luz wrote:
    I'd add a few more to that list:

Into the Wormcrawl Fissure (Dungeon Magazine #134) - From the Age of Worms Adventure Path, level 19-20.

Return to the Tomb of Horrors - For level 13-16; a worthy (though inferior) follow-up to the original ToH. Still, as far as high level GH modules go, its better than most offerings by TSR at the time.

I am definitely loving the Age of Worms path and can't wait to run "Into the Wormcrawl Fissure". Some of the early parts of the adventure path were a little weak, but I think the later adventures picked things up nicely.

Return to the Tomb of Horrors is one of my favorite adventures of all time. Very difficult and deadly to any level of PCs.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:11 am  

DMPrata wrote:

Thanks for the tip about "Threshold of Evil", DMPrata. I just grabbed a copy and am reading through it. It looks awesome. I had never heard of it before, but will definitely use it in the future.

Luz, I completely forgot about "Down with the Wizard", I'll have to pull it out of my stack and use it. I also just grabbed the update to Maure Castle you mentioned and will take a look. Thanks!
    Journeyman Greytalker

Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:11 pm  

xo42 wrote:
    DMPrata wrote:

Thanks for the tip about "Threshold of Evil", DMPrata. I just grabbed a copy and am reading through it. It looks awesome. I had never heard of it before, but will definitely use it in the future.

Luz, I completely forgot about "Down with the Wizard", I'll have to pull it out of my stack and use it. I also just grabbed the update to Maure Castle you mentioned and will take a look. Thanks!

Hmm...my curiosity for Threshold of Evil is now piqued. I hadn't heard of it either, until DMPrata mentioned it. I must track it down.

xo42, if you've never read the 3.5 revision of Maure Castle before then you're in for a treat. The Paizo staff (along with Kuntz and Gygax) really outdid themselves for this one. It is a pretty massive dungeon and the new level is an excellent addition, and its really lethal. It will easily challenge a 16th level party.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:35 am  
    Re: And a few more

Osmund-Davizid wrote:
    I also thought of a few more:

A Paladin in Hell is placed in a generic setting, but can be modified to Greyhawk pretty easilly. Very difficult, involving players travelling to the Hells by way of a demonic ship that is actually a moving plane of the Abyss. What fun! An appearance by Emirikol the Chaotic is a nice touch.

The Apocalypse Stone is an OK adventure, there are some good points and some things that are not my cup of tea, but can be used to end your campaigns on a bang when the PC levels start getting too high.

O-D

Yes a Paladin is Hell is a great adventure, one of my favorites and very difficult. Not many adventures can take the PCs go through the Abyss and Hell. I also ran the Apocalypse Stone and like you said some of it was good, but it had various issues as well. I also liked Die Vecna Die even though it wasn't perfect. It did have some powerful enemies and of course the fight against Vecna himself. I have Labyrinth of Madness and read through it and was about to run it, but never did. It is full of traps and puzzles (not my favorite things) and it just felt a little off. I am saving it as a high level adventure for the future.

Thanks for the tip on the OJ. I had not read those issues and will have to check them out
    GreySage

Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:43 am  

Have you looked at Bastion of Broken Souls?
    Journeyman Greytalker

Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:55 am  

rasgon wrote:
    Have you looked at Bastion of Broken Souls?

No I haven't Rasgon and am not very familiar with it since I play 2nd edition mostly. After a quick review though it looks like an epic adventure and I will definitely try it out. You had me at Demogorgon and 1/2 demon dragons. Thanks!
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: