Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Salinmoor Coast real life source?
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Salinmoor Coast real life source?
    Master Greytalker

Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:22 pm  
    Salinmoor Coast real life source?

While looking online for maps of the coast of Salinmoor, I came across this:

http://www.manorhouse-seaton.co.uk/images/roadmap2.jpg

(a roadmap of the real world area around Seaton, Devon, England).

"Seaton" is not shown on the Darlene maps, so I am assuming Seaton, Saltmarsh, and Burle were all creations of Browne and Turnbull for U1-U3. They do say that Saltmarsh should be like a fishing village in southern England. I am wondering if anyone knows the background of this module series / cartography. It certainly looks to me like they used RW Seaton for GH Seaton, and then roughly made "Sidmouth" into Saltmarsh, "Budleigh Salterton" into the new lizardfolk lair at the mouth of the Dun, and "Exmouth" into the old lizardfolk lair at the mouth of the Javan.

Thoughts?
    My campaigns are multilayered tapestries upon which I texture themes and subject matter which, quite frankly, would simply be too strong for your hobbyist gamer.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Mp7Ikko8SI
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:21 am  

Astounding on the similarities -- the real world map coastline matches the southern Keoland coastline very well. I can only surmise they used real life inspiration for fantasy world fun. I use real world inspiration a lot with our Greyhawk Reborn campaign!
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:33 pm  
    Re: Salinmoor Coast real life source?

Kirt wrote:
    They do say that Saltmarsh should be like a fishing village in southern England.

I always found that interesting, since the climate of southern England would be quite different from southern Keoland, due to latitude.
    But, I just took it to mean the "feel" of the place, the culture, etc.

Kirt wrote:
    It certainly looks to me like they used RW Seaton for GH Seaton, and then roughly made "Sidmouth" into Saltmarsh, "Budleigh Salterton" into the new lizardfolk lair at the mouth of the Dun, and "Exmouth" into the old lizardfolk lair at the mouth of the Javan.

Thoughts?

After digging up my copies of U2 and U3, it looks to me like they did what you said: they took a map of the actual area around Seaton, and took a bit of license with it, and there we have it, Saltmarsh and vicinity.

It's been done before. Some of you may recall the Forest of Doom module in Dragon 73(?). As a letter to the editorial column pointed out a couple of issues later, they used the coastline of real world Brittany, spun it a bit, and used that for the wilderness map in the module.

I've done it myself, tracing island maps from an atlas, and using them for a map in my game. I've even traced random coastlines and combined them into islands or continents. Sometimes, I've done that, and reversed the land/water sides, making what is land in the actual map into the water area in my game map.
    Why not? What works better at looking like nature, than nature itself?
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: