Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Back in Greyhawk
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Welcome to Greyhawk!
    Back in Greyhawk
    Novice

Tue Oct 05, 2004 4:39 am  
    Back in Greyhawk

Hello everyone, relatively new lurker, first time poster.

The recent Temple of Elemental Evil computer game re-ignited both my interest in roleplaying game and Greyhawk in particular. Has been about 10 years or so since I last gamed, but now it seems I'm getting a nice little 1st Edition Greyhawk game started pretty soon. During the gaming hiatus my contact with Greyhawk has been mostly only reading Thomas Miller's Adventurers stories and a random paging of Dragon. So one could call me a "newbie" to the world as it is now. And back in the day, I was a palyer not the DM like I am now.

When paging through the modules in the recently acquired collection of Greyhawk goodies (getting a big load cheep was one of the main reasons for 1st Ed use, and the fact that most of the fellas knew those rules also)flashbacks of the fun adventures we had back then have entered my mind. Keep on the Borderlands, Mordenkainen's Adventure, especially Tomb of Horrors (we did bugger out of there rather fast after losing a couple of characters never to return) has been fun to read now. And then there's stuff I have never seen in the pile that seems like a good read.

I was pondering starting the campaign in Keoland as I have understood that the Saltmarsh trilogy of modules would be a cool bunch of modules for 1st levelers (and Sahuagin use gives room to introduce Deep Ones and other Cluthu stuff into the game too (I'm willing to throw away "canon" to get that stuff in there...) The U modules live up their rather good reputation ?

Anyway. Nice to be back. :)

-The Gnome
    Adept Greytalker

Tue Oct 05, 2004 10:52 am  

The U series of modules are pretty good... infact they are what inspired me to set my current greyhawk game in Salinmoor (the region of Keoland containing saltmarsh)... although I did not use the modules themselves, My game is set about 20 years after the events in those modules transpired, and I use them as background source material.
    Master Greytalker

Mon Oct 11, 2004 10:05 am  
    3rd Ed

Glad to have you back in the game. I would suggest at least looking at 3.5 ed. I also started in 1st, and the stuff does come cheap, but there are a lot of flexibility advantages in the new edition that I like.

If I had a large established campaign in 1st ed., or any other for that matter, I would not convert. However, if this is a new game, I would change over. Just my two cents.

The Keoland Region is great for play. I would suggest looking at the various Living Greyhawk Websites (do a google search), and you will find plenty to keep you going.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Mon Oct 11, 2004 1:28 pm  

The U series is real good, but I wouldn't reccomend starting the campaign with it if you plan on running the whole series. If you go by the book with rewarding experience points, the party may not be ready by the time they start U3. Just flesh out the sample dungeon from the DMG, run that first, and the U series should be a blast.
    Scott
    Journeyman Greytalker

Mon Oct 11, 2004 5:10 pm  

I've also started with Against the Cult of the Reptile god, and followed it up with the U series.
    Scott
    CF Admin

Tue Oct 12, 2004 6:00 am  

I think N1 is a good place to start as well. It's a great low level adventure that is over-challenging, although the ending allows the party company of an NPC that is alot of help.

Tue Oct 12, 2004 9:26 am  

Thanks a bunch for the replies, nice to find a friendly spot in the interenet :)

While the Cult of the Reptile God sounds neat from the synopsis I read, it has one distinct disadvantage over the Saltmarsh series - me not owning it. But thanks for the experience amount/level warnings, I guess I'll have to mix a couple of misadventures of my own design into the storyline.

-The Gnome
    Master Greytalker

Tue Oct 12, 2004 10:27 am  
    Solve that real quick

You don't own it? Well you can solve that quickly and easily... go to
    http://search.store.yahoo.com/cgi-bin/nsearch?catalog=svgames-store&query=N1+Cult+of+the+Reptile+God&.autodone=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.svgames.com%2Fnsearch.html

or

http://www.svgames.com/

They have it for download for less than $5.00.

Have fun.
    Novice

Thu Dec 16, 2004 1:40 am  

Welcome back to the game! By the way I like the Avatar pic.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Fri Jan 28, 2005 12:24 am  
    Welcome

Welcome back. I'm kind of in the same boat. It all started with CRPGs... it all seemed so innocent at the time....

Ahem.

I played a LOT of 1st ed. back in the 80s, and got completely out of gaming until last year, when I found a local group willing to let me run a PC.

I've switched over to 3.5 rules, and I like them a lot, although the variety requires hours of learning, and a firm DM's hand to avoid the min-maxers. (Other editions were subject to abuse: Gauntlets of Ogre Power + Dart Throwing = 21-27 damage/round.)

Anyway, if you do start using the 3.5 ruleset, I advise starting as a player in an existing group. The computer revolution has done wonders for information management, and there are a ton of tools out there for managing everything from characters to adventures to experience calculations. Look into www.enworld.com and browse the Wizards forums for insights into the new rules.

Finally, there is a different flavor to the new games that may be related to the rules or it may be related to the fast-food mentality we all seem to have nowdays. Magic is commonplace, and there's no longer a presumption that ALL characters start at first level.

Okay, enough old-man ranting. Just remember, it's your world; do with it as you please.

Telas

"And you kids, get out of my yard!"
       Canonfire Forum Index -> Welcome to Greyhawk! All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: