JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Chapter 2: The Outsiders
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Expedition to the Land of Black Ice
    Chapter 2: The Outsiders [ Previous  1, 2]
    Journeyman Greytalker

Fri May 27, 2016 1:30 pm  

[Discussion happens]

Ohrin finishes taking notes and says, "Ok, here is what we have so far. Using our voting system wherein we each gave a petitioner a score ranging from negative three to positive three, we get the following results and what we know or have heard about each:

With five points:
    Soren Stormcloud, male elf priest of The Winged Mother, an elven goddess of air and weather.
    Milleen, female kobold trainer of wolves. According to my sources, she is NOT a druid. She is friends with Altansarnai.
    A'sila T'shanna, female human Bakluni monk dedicated to Xan Yae, a skilled martial combatant.

With four points:
    Asranith Lasiniir, gender unknown to me elf, possibly a cavalier who uses arcane magicks as he/she is reported to ride a spectral steed, deadly archer per Master Retlishin.
    Lady Armiger Marissa Osson of Almor, brave and true per Verenna.
    Kelvan Farstrider, male half-elf training as a Defender of fishing boats, so a likely martial combatant, I am friendly with him, Saevil believes him to have promise and likes his free spirit.
    Altarnarsai, no one has told me his or her gender, human Tiger Nomad, experienced traveler, friends with Milleen, Saevil like his tracking and survival abilities.
    Lukasz Ravel, gender unknown to me, human former constable in the Free City of Greyhawk, Saevil says he is a promising fighter but a bit simple minded.
    Crow Jane, female kenku, former henchman of a powerful assassin who went missing, has never shirked her duties to Corus, Verenna strongly vouched for her, Saevil said Captain Fireheart said she is dedicated to our community.
    Johanna Swiftstoat, female halfling, likely a sneaky practitioner of illusory magicks, Saevil likes her attitude and abilities.

With three points:
    Slava, male half-orc, very strong, helped me when I first moved here, friends with Hjalmar Frjalsmour.
    Lars Loga, presumably male, judging by the name, human town guardsman, Njord gave him a two but didn't say why.
    Hjalmir Frjalsmaur, presumably male human, friends with Slava, dull-witted by very strong, Saevil says he is a stoic human pack mule.
    Nevin Stoutshield, male hill dwarf, friendly to me, interested in volatile alchemy, skilled architect and/or engineer.

That gives us thirteen, so far. As we have ten petitioners receiving two points, I believe we will need to eliminate three of the two-pointers, whom I will list in a moment, from consideration. Before I do so, does anyone have any last objections to any of the previously mentioned names?

(OOC: I have to go to work, will post the two-pointers' info when I get home tonight.)

Last edited by aurdraco on Tue May 31, 2016 1:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Journeyman Greytalker

Fri May 27, 2016 6:55 pm  

"Ok, moving on to the two-pointers. There are twelve of them. That would put our number at twenty-five, which seems unwieldy. I suggest that we cull at least five of them, if not more.

Kharaz Stonemilker, male hill dwarf bartender.
    Lertan Stonemilker, male hill dwarf chef.
    Minek Stonemilker, male hill dwarf security and book keeper. All three bothers are friendly to me.
    Idriel von Fluss-Amberhill, gender unknown to me gnome, presumably female, Veranna mentioned something about being royalty, I have no idea what skills she would bring with her and would prefer to interview her before we select her.
    Karstren Esil, gender unknown to me human, presumably male, former quartermaster for a mercenary company according to Master Retlishin, which I think would be very useful.
    Jonas Cerny, male human military mountaineer, married to Peta Cerny, friendly to me, friend of Yrist Vrabrenn, whom we do not seem to want to invite to join us.
    Lucion Inmarial, male high elf, some sort of spellcaster who is attempting to mix the natural with the arcane, possibly a druid and magic-user. Would like to speak with him to determine the extent of his abilities, if any, before removing from our list.
    Gerrit Lashander, male human mage, oddly respected in town, might be powerful with magic but a bit lacking in control.
    Renada Rabbitwarren, female gnome mage, skilled alchemist.
    Merrick Flowerfield, male halfling, pleasant to me, skilled chef, Saevil is not sure he would be useful.
    Faeranna Nightsky, female half elf, I believe she mixes martial skill with arcane magic, Saevil is not sure what she brings to the table.
    Markus Restantin, gender unknown to me elf, assuming male, I believe he is a sneaky martial devotee of Erevan Ilsere, elven god of mischief.

Right now, if we had to cut five from the two-pointers, I would suggest cutting the Stonemilker brothers as it just seems like bad luck to tempt fate by bringing all three along, perhaps we should just invite Lertan to be company cook, Idriel von Fluss-Amberhill, and Merrick Flowerfield.

Before we decide on the two-pointers, please let me know if we are all accepting of the previously listed petitioners. What say you?"
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri May 27, 2016 8:23 pm  
    C2: The Outsiders / HQ At Night / DISCUSSION / Njord

Yes to currently accepted (+3+) petitioners.

Njord wonders if there might be a problem bringing "shorter" characters, if we might be running into deep snow, snowdrifts, etc. He's no "height-ist", but it may be a concern?

Njord's first thoughts (good / bad-in-italics) about the +2-group. These are in order from favorite to least-desired.

Karstren Esil: Quartermaster
    Jonas Cerny: Military Mountaineer.
    Merrick Flowerfield: Chef. Friendly. / Short.
    Faeranna Nightsky: Fighter Mage. (Just like the name, tbh)
    Idriel von Fluss-Amberhill: Cap'n F certified. / Short.
    Lucion Inmarial: Druidic.
    Lertan Stonemilker: Chef. / Short.
    Renada Rabbitwarren: Alchemist. / Short.
    Minek Stonemilker: / Short.
    Kharaz Stonemilker: / Bartender? Short.
    Markus Restantin: Fighter/Thief? / Sneaky, as in duplicitous?
    Gerrit Lashander: / Mage without control?

If we can get it down to a definite 20 without interviews that would be cool. But willing to interview any and all to get it right. Also open to interviewing definite picks or non-picks. For instance, if we definitely want Jonas Cerny, we might take a look at Yrist Vrabrenn. Etc.

Also, if having shorter folks along won't be an issue, please explain why.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri May 27, 2016 8:38 pm  
    C2: HQ At Night / DISCUSSION / Njord

[* Ok, by Aurdraco's request... *]

In the midst of discussion, Njord ponders the current choices and those individuals that are borderline, then queries Ohrin:

"Ohrin, you have told us which of petitioners have received good score. So which on list got bad score. Any of them get...eh...negative points?"
    Journeyman Greytalker

Fri May 27, 2016 9:46 pm  

"Yes. Captain Jinmiir scored negative three, Rusland Heatherplans negative one, Monek Friedrich negative two, The Dark One negative one, and Narend Martracin negative two."
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat May 28, 2016 12:56 am  

[* Ok. Probably my last post for the weekend. I didn't quite finish as i am tired... *]

Here is a list of a) the group order, in suborders within ranks (given +/-) according to Njord's current viewpoints. Asterisks indicate which one's he might have caveats about, depending on certain conditions. Basically ones he thinks would be a good idea to interview.

Code:

01.  +5  Milleen:  Female Kobold
    02.* +5  A'sila T'shanna:  Female Human (Baklune) Monk (Xan Yae)
    03.  +5  Soren Stormcloud:  Male Elf Priest.
    04.  +4  Asranith Lasiniir:  Male High-Elf Ranger?
    05.* +4  Altarnarsai:  Female Human (Tiger Nomad / Bak.) Ranger?
    06.  +4  Lukasz Ravel:  Male Human (Oerid/Flan) Fighter/Thief?
    07.  +4  Johanna Swiftstoat:  Female Halfling Illusionist/Thief?
    08.* +4  Crow Jane:  Female Kenku Assassin/Mage?
    09.  +4  Kelvan Farstrider:  Male Half-Elf Ranger?
    10.  +3  Lars Loja:  Male Human (Suel/Flan) Fighter?
    11.  +3  Hjalmir Frjalsmaur: Male Human Fighter?
    12.  +3  Nevin Stoutshield:  Male Hill-Dwarf Alchemist?
    13.* +3  Slava:  Male Half-Orc Fighter?
    ------------------------------------------------------
    14.  +2  Karstren Esil: Quartermaster
    15.  +2  Jonas Cerny: Military Mountaineer.
    16.* +2  Merrick Flowerfield: Chef. Friendly. / Short.
    17.* +2  Nightsky: Fighter Mage. (Just like the name, tbh)
    18.* +2  Idriel von Fluss-Amberhill: Cap'n F certified. / Short.
    19.  +2  Lucion Inmarial: Druidic.
    20.* +2  Lertan Stonemilker: Chef. / Short.
    21.  +2  Renada Rabbitwarren: Alchemist. / Short.
    22.  +2  Minek Stonemilker: / Short.
    23.  +2  Kharaz Stonemilker: / Bartender? Short.
    24.* +2  Markus Restantin: Fighter/Thief? / Sneaky, as in duplicitous?
    25.* +2  Gerrit Lashander: / M
    -------------------------------------------------
    26.* ??  Marissa Osson:  Female Human (Oerid) Cavalier?
    27.  ??  Sir Montgomery Persides:  Male Human (Flan) Paladin (Hieron.)
    28.  ??  Yrist Vrabenn
    29.  ??  Ballatia Wishilde:  Female Human (S/F) Monk?
    30.  ??  Fantisek Mannenheim
    31.  ??  Khandraz
    32.  ??  Sammi Vasternaan
    33.  ??  Morin Thistlefoot
    34.  ??  Mirka Dano
    --------------------------------------------------
    35.* -1  The Dark One
    36.  -1  Ruslana Heatherplans
    37.  -2  Narend Matracin
    38.  -2  Monek Friedrich
    39.  -3  Jinmiir Ristolier:  Male Human?

[*

Did i miss anybody?

Aurdraco,

Would also like to see posted similar lists for Ohrin and Saevil's individual viewpoints, if possible.
    *]
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sat May 28, 2016 9:13 am  

Ohrin explains how he voted.

(OOC: Ok, I had more time to clean this up:)
    Code:

+2  Asranith Lasiniir
    +2  Lady Armiger Marissa Osson of Almor
    -1 Sir Montgomery “Monty” Persides
    +3  Soren Stormcloud
    +2  Kelvan Farstrider
    +2  “Slava”
    00  Yrist Vrabenn
    +1  Kharâz Stonemilker
    +1  Lertan Stonemilker
    +1  Minek Stonemilker
    -1  Captain Jinmiir Ristolier
    +1  Idriel von Fluss-Amberhill
    +1  Khândraz
    -00 Ruslan Heatherplains
    +1  Frantisek Mannenheim
    -1  Monek Friedrich
    +1  Sammi Vasternaan
    +2  Karstren Esil
    +1  Lars Loja
    +1  Milleen
    +1  Altansarnai
    +1  Hjálmar Frjálsmaður
    +2 JonᚠCerny
    00  Ballatia Wishílde
    +2  Lucion Inmarial
    +2  Gerrit Lashander
    +2  Renada Rabbitwarren
    00  “The Dark One”
    +2  Nevin Stoutshield
    +1  Merri Flowerfield
    +2  Mirka Daňo
    -2  Narend Martracin
    +1  Lukasz Ravel
    +2  “Crow Jane”
    +1  Asila T'shanna
    +2  Faeranna Nightsky 
    +1  Morin Thistlefoot
    +2  Markus Restantin
    +1  Johanna Swiftstoat

(Re: "sneaky", you would understand from the context that Ohrin means characters capable of finding traps.)

And here are the notes regarding how Saevil voted:
    Code:

00  Asranith Lasiniir
    00  Lady Armiger Marissa Osson of Almor
    00 Sir Montgomery “Monty” Persides
    +1  Soren Stormcloud
    +1  Kelvan Farstrider
    00  “Slava”
    00  Yrist Vrabenn
    00  Kharâz Stonemilker
    00  Lertan Stonemilker
    00  Minek Stonemilker
    00 Captain Jinmiir Ristolier
    00  Idriel von Fluss-Amberhill
    00  Khândraz
    00 Ruslan Heatherplains
    00  Frantisek Mannenheim
    00  Monek Friedrich
    00  Sammi Vasternaan
    00  Karstren Esil
    00  Lars Loja
    +3  Milleen
    +2  Altansarnai
    +1  Hjálmar Frjálsmaður
    00 JonᚠCerny
    00  Ballatia Wishílde
    00  Lucion Inmarial
    00  Gerrit Lashander
    00  Renada Rabbitwarren
    -1  “The Dark One”
    00  Nevin Stoutshield
    00  Merri Flowerfield
    00  Mirka Daňo
    00 Narend Martracin
    +1  Lukasz Ravel
    +3  “Crow Jane”
    +1  Asila T'shanna
    -1  Faeranna Nightsky 
    00  Morin Thistlefoot
    00  Markus Restantin
    +2  Johanna Swiftstoat

Last edited by aurdraco on Tue May 31, 2016 12:06 pm; edited 2 times in total
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat May 28, 2016 6:35 pm  
    HQ At Night / DISCUSSION / Sævil

Meta:

Sævil participates in the back and forth of the conversation. During this time he plays with Astafrejlva, encourages her to interact with Njord - and Ohrin if he seems open to it, sips a beverage, and clearly enjoys the time spent discussing the people of Corus. Often he expresses delight at learning something new about someone. Even when he expresses a downvote, he expresses it without rancor or denigrating the person in question.

Code:

Ranked via Syz's system, meta comments in trailing parens.

01.  +5  Milleen:  Female Kobold
    02.  +5  A'sila T'shanna:  Female Human (Baklune) Monk (Xan Yae)
    03.  +5  Soren Stormcloud:  Male Elf Priest.
    04.  +4  Altarnarsai:  Female Human (Tiger Nomad / Bak.) Ranger?
    05.  +4  Johanna Swiftstoat:  Female Halfling Illusionist/Thief?
    06.  +4  Lukasz Ravel:  Male Human (Oerid/Flan) Fighter/Thief?
    07.  +4  Kelvan Farstrider:  Male Half-Elf Ranger?
    08.* +4  Crow Jane:  Female Kenku Assassin/Mage?
    09.  +4  Asranith Lasiniir:  Male High-Elf Ranger?
    10.  +3  Hjalmir Frjalsmaur: Male Human Fighter?
    11.  +3  Lars Loja:  Male Human (Suel/Flan) Fighter?
    12.  +3  Nevin Stoutshield:  Male Hill-Dwarf Alchemist?
    13.*  +3  Slava:  Male Half-Orc Fighter?
    14.  +2  Karstren Esil: Quartermaster (a quartermaster by profession is basically a necessity for an expedition of this sort - the knowledge he possesses will also assist in determining if we've found a place that will support our population)
    15.*  +2  Jonas Cerny: Military Mountaineer. (leaving behind a professional military mountaineer is probably insane, unless there's some disqualifying factor)
    16.* +2  Merrick Flowerfield: Chef. Friendly. / Short. (a quality chef may have a huge impact on team morale.  i'm in favor of merrick simply because he's the one I know)
    17.* +2  Nightsky: Fighter Mage. (Just like the name, tbh)
    18.* +2  Idriel von Fluss-Amberhill: Cap'n F certified. / Short.
    19.  +2  Lucion Inmarial: Druidic.
    20.* +2  Lertan Stonemilker: Chef. / Short.
    21.  +2  Renada Rabbitwarren: Alchemist. / Short.
    22.  +2  Minek Stonemilker: / Short.
    23.  +2  Kharaz Stonemilker: / Bartender? Short.
    24.* +2  Markus Restantin: Fighter/Thief? / Sneaky, as in duplicitous?
    25.* +2  Gerrit Lashander: / M
    -------------------------------------------------
    26.  ??  Marissa Osson:  Female Human (Oerid) Cavalier?
    27.  ??  Sir Montgomery Persides:  Male Human (Flan) Paladin (Hieron.)
    28.  ??  Yrist Vrabenn
    29.  ??  Ballatia Wishilde:  Female Human (S/F) Monk?
    30.  ??  Fantisek Mannenheim
    31.  ??  Khandraz
    32.  ??  Sammi Vasternaan
    33.  ??  Morin Thistlefoot
    34.  ??  Mirka Dano

(Who the bloody hell are these people?)

--------------------------------------------------
    35.* -1  The Dark One (Probably worth interviewing just in case there's something hidden and useful we dont know about?)
    36.  -1  Ruslana Heatherplans
    37.  -2  Narend Matracin
    38.  -2  Monek Friedrich
    39.  -3  Jinmiir Ristolier:  Male Human?

"Friends, I spent enough time among Perrenlanders to recognize that supply ought not to be traced farther than it must. I suggest we invest less time in worrying at the numbers we bring out of Corus. We should expect to set up a base camp among my people along the Tusking Strand, and perhaps another smaller camp at the very border of the Black Ice.

"From these camps a constant flow of fish and better yet - seal and walrus blubber will keep us supplied. We will have a safe place to retreat in the event of danger or supply shortage. With luck a careful chef and quartermaster will ensure our food is palatable for those of you less used to eating blubber; and mark my words - where we go no amount of conjured food a priest is likely to provide will be enough to keep us going. Out there we will eat many times more than usual; or we..will..die.

"Fair trade goods to my people will ensure their cooperation. Good steel tools are ever in short supply. They will help us make good our losses: Torn parkas, worn out boots, wind and waterproof gear... they can teach and trade with those we leave at camp.

"I know we've been cautioned that too large a group is a risk - I agree - but spread across a camp or two, besides those of us penetrating the Black Ice itself shouldn't be so bad."
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sat May 28, 2016 7:32 pm  

Ohrin is half-wary of the wolf, half curious. He will let his left hand hang down so that the creature may approach and sniff it, if it so chooses.

"My father's people have very close bonds with the animals of the Fellreev Forest. However, I grew up in Rookroost, a large city. As long as I am not bitten, we will get along just fine." Ohrin then gets a faraway look for a second before rhetorically asking himself, "I wonder if the spell of strength would work on such a creature..."

Ohrin then continues, "The height worry is a good one! I am unfamiliar with the terrain this far north, and the dangers. While I have not had many dealings with dwarves, I would be surprised if snow was much more of a hindrance to them than it is to us. Halfings, on the other hand, would probably need to be transported with gear and supplies."

"Regarding interviewing, I don't particularly feel it would be useful the interview the petitioners we all agree on. However many you two think we should speak with though, I will not object should the number be no higher than ten. I do not want us to be tied up in committee for a fortnight settling this company. Fair warning: I do plan on asking the Uncaring One to allow me to peer into the souls of any we do interview tomorrow. As a courtesy, I will not examine you, the co-chairs of this expedition, the same way...unless you do something quite alarming in the future."

"On the subject of magic, what do you two think of me turning one member of our company invisible per day? The effect lasts until the recipient acts aggressively towards another creature. I quite like the idea of our company appearing to be smaller than it actually is, unless that eventually attracts more trouble than it's worth."

"In the same vein, which of you two would benefit more from having your strength magically enhanced for several hours per day? I know this spell that I think you might quite enjoy...if I don't save it for myself. Makes it easier to swing this sword around, you see."

"Will unexpected crevices be a likely danger? If so, I can prepare a spell to help save a falling character. However, I do not have the ability to prepare a lot of arcane spells, so each choice must be made carefully."

"Oh, I can also levitate someone. Could be very handy for scouting the terrain ahead, especially an invisible someone."

"Regarding my divine magic, I plan on creating sixteen gallons of water per day (and asking our other divine spellcasting companions to do the same). The rest of my prayers will likely be devoted towards healing spells, just in case (although I do plan to continue to protect myself from the cold for the better part of each day. I will have my cold weather gear with me, I just prefer not to have to wear it!)."

"While I am feeling talkative, how do you two gents prefer to fight? I am very, very proficient with the hand-a-half sword, especially if I have enhanced my strength, and passable with a longbow."

Once the ensuing discussion of the above points has completed, Ohrin will then say, "Now, there was apparently some question as to whether or not the doll is magical. I might as well find out...stay behind me if you do not wish me to know which items you carry are magical."

Ohrin then pulls out his holy symbol and begins to pray to the Uncaring One, "Oh Lord of the Archmages, reveal to your humble servant's eyes the light only you can see, reveal that which is not mundane but is rather magical..." blah blah blah, this continues for a full minute. Upon the casting's completion, Ohrin gazes at the doll for a minute. Then, for good measure, he turns 60* for a minute and examines his surroundings, then repeats this five more times. If his compatriots do not move, he examines them. If they stand behind him as he rotates, he does not appear to examine them. (OOC: KW, please privately share the results with me, Ohrin will decide what he shares)
    Journeyman Greytalker

Mon May 30, 2016 1:52 am  
    Njord, Ohrin, & Sævil: Determination

Ohrin is half-wary of the wolf, half curious. He will let his left hand hang down so that the creature may approach and sniff it, if it so chooses.

It seemed to mirror his sentiments exactly. Ohrin watched the wolf wind its way between Sævil's legs, careful to brush up against the northman several times before making its way in his direction. All the while, it looked up at Ohrin with its incredible blue eyes, completely devoid of white sclera. Only after it had performed the silent ritual, it began to carefully stride in his direction, always sure to interpose itself between him and Sævil. He had seen that type of behavior before. It was marking him as hers -- and letting Ohrin know it in its own wordless way. He'd been told that it was rather commonplace amongst uncommonly intelligent animals, like the Cooshee that ran at the heels of the Sylvan folk during their hunts.

The wolf arrived at Ohrin's side. It was tall enough -- had Sævil called it a pup? -- to sniff at his fingers without craning its neck upward. He felt the soft sensation of its fur grazing his flesh, the wet leather of its nose contacting once or twice. Than, as if it decided its opinion of him, it rubbed it muzzle against his hand affectionately, offering the tips of his fingers a quick lick of its tongue.

"My father's people have very close bonds with the animals of the Fellreev Forest. However, I grew up in Rookroost, a large city. As long as I am not bitten, we will get along just fine." Ohrin then gets a faraway look for a second before rhetorically asking himself, "I wonder if the spell of strength would work on such a creature..."

As he wondered it aloud, the wolf -- a bitch, to see its hindquarters -- turned back towards Sævil and sat patiently at his heel again. Their introductions, it seemed, were complete.

Ohrin then continues, "The height worry is a good one! I am unfamiliar with the terrain this far north, and the dangers. While I have not had many dealings with dwarves, I would be surprised if snow was much more of a hindrance to them than it is to us. Halfings, on the other hand, would probably need to be transported with gear and supplies."

"Regarding interviewing, I don't particularly feel it would be useful the interview the petitioners we all agree on. However many you two think we should speak with though, I will not object should the number be no higher than ten. I do not want us to be tied up in committee for a fortnight settling this company. Fair warning: I do plan on asking the Uncaring One to allow me to peer into the souls of any we do interview tomorrow. As a courtesy, I will not examine you, the co-chairs of this expedition, the same way...unless you do something quite alarming in the future."

"On the subject of magic, what do you two think of me turning one member of our company invisible per day? The effect lasts until the recipient acts aggressively towards another creature. I quite like the idea of our company appearing to be smaller than it actually is, unless that eventually attracts more trouble than it's worth."

"In the same vein, which of you two would benefit more from having your strength magically enhanced for several hours per day? I know this spell that I think you might quite enjoy...if I don't save it for myself. Makes it easier to swing this sword around, you see."

"Will unexpected crevices be a likely danger? If so, I can prepare a spell to help save a falling character. However, I do not have the ability to prepare a lot of arcane spells, so each choice must be made carefully."

"Oh, I can also levitate someone. Could be very handy for scouting the terrain ahead, especially an invisible someone."

"Regarding my divine magic, I plan on creating sixteen gallons of water per day (and asking our other divine spellcasting companions to do the same). The rest of my prayers will likely be devoted towards healing spells, just in case (although I do plan to continue to protect myself from the cold for the better part of each day. I will have my cold weather gear with me, I just prefer not to have to wear it!)."

"While I am feeling talkative, how do you two gents prefer to fight? I am very, very proficient with the hand-a-half sword, especially if I have enhanced my strength, and passable with a longbow."

Once the ensuing discussion of the above points has completed, Ohrin will then say, "Now, there was apparently some question as to whether or not the doll is magical. I might as well find out...stay behind me if you do not wish me to know which items you carry are magical."

Ohrin then pulls out his holy symbol and begins to pray to the Uncaring One, "Oh Lord of the Archmages, reveal to your humble servant's eyes the light only you can see, reveal that which is not mundane but is rather magical..." blah blah blah, this continues for a full minute. Upon the casting's completion, Ohrin gazes at the doll for a minute. Then, for good measure, he turns 60* for a minute and examines his surroundings, then repeats this five more times. If his compatriots do not move, he examines them. If they stand behind him as he rotates, he does not appear to examine them.

Both Njord and Sævil watched as gentle violet and gold lights began to trail after the movements of Ohrin's hands, twinkling starmotes like crushed gemstones dripping from his fingers, disappearing before they hit the ground.

Astafrejlva looked up at Sævil as if to assess his opinion of the strange ritual taking place before them. Even as the unblinking eye of Boccob began to manifest itself in the center of his gesticulations, because the northman did not move, neither did the wolf. It continued to watch the sparkling lights with interest -- as they all did.

Njord and Sævil watched Ohrin raise the eye -- seeming composed of glowing curves and lines, cut into the flesh of the air; the vibrant, glowing composition left by the spell was its very blood made visible -- before his face. He closed one eye and leaned close to the magical construction.

Through his open eye, he regarded the doll anew....

[Ohrin: Sending PM!]
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon May 30, 2016 11:18 pm  

[* Wow, lots to reply to, gonna summarize to get thru it. Replying in roughly temporal order (as best as i can guess). All of this is, of course, from Njord's perspective. *]

Astafrejlva
    Njord would try to pet the wolf if it/Sævil allows. He has an affinity for animals, probably more-so than he does for people.

Kahss:
    Njord would ask Sævil if he knows what has happened to our (ex-)fourth, given that Kahss just up and left the place.

Olivia Owlbear (and the Ruddyfoot kids)
    Njord fills Sævil in on the visit by the Ruddyfoot kids, their gifts of nourishment, and Matildya's offering of Olivia (the owlbear doll). Njord will display her with pride for Sævil.

Ohrin speaks of magic:
    Njord is noticeably a bit concerned or uncertain about all of this. He has trepidations. As far as all the tactical uses for spells, he doesn't have all that much experience with that. He offers the following communication to Ohrin:

"Good Ohrin, i know your magicks will be of great use, but I may or may not be willing to have such cast upon me. It will depend on situation. But one thing," and he intones this nearer to an imperative than to a request, "please do not put spell on me unless i give ok." Noticeably tensed, he relaxes. "As for using abilities to look into hearts or minds of candidates, i do not have problem with such. But interesting, what if you ask each before doing so? Might give other insight?"

The Doll (Ohrin):
    If Ohrin openly examines Olivia, Njord will pay attention.

Fighting (Ohrin's Q):
    "I have skill with bow, swords, hand-and-half, other blades. Willing to fight with bare hands, if comes to such."

POST DISCUSSION/FIRST-TALLY

Group Size: BIG QUESTION
    Njord wonders if it might even be better to take most of the candidates (like 30+, instead of 20). As, i think it was Sævil, mentioned supplies and such from the Tusking Land -- maybe it would be best to bring alot of extra people in case we need to set up multiple camps, and leave people as relay and/or rally points. We might even just take all those candidates we have any positive (+1) vibe toward whatsoever. We can always (and this may seem harsh, but ya know what desperate times call for) send people back if they aren't working out. Is there reason(s) we couldn't take that many?

Individual Size (Short):
    Njord doesn't know how to resolve this. He's on the fence. If he had to choose he'd say we'll just deal with it if we have to, and be prepared with some sort of sled/toboggan system just in case. Which might also be needed for wounded people anyway. ? Maybe we could just do a three-count vote (yea/nay) to even worry about it. Njord would go with NAY.

Interviews:
    Njord agrees (with Ohrin) that we should try to minimize the interviews if possible, but it might be a good idea to at least do a few to get a feel for some of the members. We can even ask what each of those thinks of the other candidates so we start to get a feel for potential friendships/friction.

Altansarnai:
    We should meet her, especially to get a feel for how she will get along with Njord (and vice versa).

Crow Jane:
    At some point after initial discussions revealed the group's general first-consensus (tally), and seeing that Crow Jane seems to be a fairly definite choice, Njord would offer to:

a) Go get her and bring her back for an interview.
    b) Go and simply tell her that she has been accepted.

He could do the same for Milleen (a or b). He doesn't want to keep Crow Jane waiting. As it's probably 8pm or so by the time the first round of talks end. ???

Milleen:
    See above (Same situation as Crow Jane).

Others To Interview
    Here's a list of some others that have been mentioned for interview (by Njord or Sævil). We need to now simply make a list of people we definitely want to interview. Here's a start (N means Njord desires, S for Saevil, N/S both). With some notes.

Code:

+5  A'sila T'shanna: (N): She is loner? Work well in group?
    +4  Altarnarsai:  (N) -- Make sure they will get along.
    +4  Crow Jane: (S)
    +3  Slava:  (N/S)
    +2  Jonas Cerny: (S) Military Mountaineer.
    +2  Merrick Flowerfield: (N/S) Chef, Is he Stout enough for journey?
    +2  Faeranna Nightsky: (N/S)
    +2  Idriel von Fluss-Amberhill:  (N/S): Cap'n F certified.
    +2  Lertan Stonemilker: (N/S) Chef.
    +2  Markus Restantin: (N/S)
    +2  Gerrit Lashander: (N/S)
    -------------------------------------
    ??  Marissa Osson: (N) Cap'n F recommended. She may be quite tough?
    -1  The Dark One: (N/S) (Same reason, curiosity), Also CapN F okayed.

[* Haven't yet figured how to whittle this down. Will think more soon. Things are moving, gents! *]
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue May 31, 2016 11:13 am  
    C2: HQ At Night / DISCUSSION / Njord / Interviewees List

Njord offers this possible order for interviewees (possibly after going to get/inform Crow Jane / Milleen -- as that should be done pronto). This list may be moot if we decide to go with alot of volunteers (30+, see BIG Q in prev. post), as that may simply mean automatically taking all the +2 candidates, so interviews might even become less relevant. ? The order is mainly based on the fact that both Njord and Saevil indicated the individual for interview (except for Altarnarsai). Those below the cut (-------) are those that Njord thinks we could probably neglect to interview. (Doesn't mean they aren't coming -- see Jonas Cerny.) Above the cut makes the 10 max that Ohrin suggested (it's 9, methinks).

Code:

+4  Altarnarsai:  (N) -- Make sure they will get along.
    +3  Slava:  (N/S) -- Make sure the half-orc is indeed friendly enough.
    +2  Merrick Flowerfield: (N/S) Chef, Is he Stout enough for journey?
    +2  Faeranna Nightsky: (N/S) Curiosity.
    +2  Idriel von Fluss-Amberhill:  (N/S): Cap'n F certified.
    +2  Lertan Stonemilker: (N/S) Chef.
    +2  Markus Restantin: (N/S)
    +2  Gerrit Lashander: (N/S)
    +5  A'sila T'shanna: (N): She is loner? Work well in group?
    --------------------------------------
    ??  Marissa Osson: (N) Cap'n F recommended. She may be quite tough?
    -1  The Dark One: (N/S) Njord thinks he likely won't be chosen.
    +2  Jonas Cerny: (S) Mountaineer. Njord thinks he's probably a lock.
    +4  Crow Jane: (S) (Nj and Oh have already met her)

For a 10th interview, Njord would suggest Marissa Osson. He is pleased that the evening has been so productive. Smile
    Journeyman Greytalker

Tue May 31, 2016 12:31 pm  
    Re: C2: HQ At Night / DISCUSSION / Njord

Syzygyst wrote:
    Ohrin speaks of magic:
    Njord is noticeably a bit concerned or uncertain about all of this. He has trepidations. As far as all the tactical uses for spells, he doesn't have all that much experience with that. He offers the following communication to Ohrin:

"Good Ohrin, i know your magicks will be of great use, but I may or may not be willing to have such cast upon me. It will depend on situation. But one thing," and he intones this nearer to an imperative than to a request, "please do not put spell on me unless i give ok."

Ohrin listens politely and nods. "It is your right, of course, to make such a request, and I shall honor it. Does this also include the use of magicks upon your person if you have been rendered unconscious, paralyzed, catatonic, non-responsive, or any and all other similar conditions, up to, and including, death? Also, how do you feel about the use of healing magic? It would not be very efficient if I had to ask for your permission to heal you while we are fighting against some foe for our lives."

Syzygyst wrote:
    Noticeably tensed, he relaxes. "As for using abilities to look into hearts or minds of candidates, i do not have problem with such. But interesting, what if you ask each before doing so? Might give other insight?"

Ohrin thinks carefully for a second before replying. "I do not feel it prudent to give any petitioner such warning. They are volunteering for a mission led by us; I believe we have the right to use any non-harmful methods at our disposal for determining the final make up of our team. Also, should any of them refuse, what then? Would that be enough grounds to not invite them to join us? What if they all refuse? As a divine servant of the Lord Archmage, it is my right to use the magic gifts he bestows upon me as I see fit. No warning shall be provided and I ask that you refrain from giving them one. The goal here is simply to determine if any of them are black-hearted and to remove them from consideration, nothing more."

Syzygyst wrote:
    Fighting (Ohrin's Q):
    "I have skill with bow, swords, hand-and-half, other blades. Willing to fight with bare hands, if comes to such."

Ohrin nods his appreciation of the reply.

(OOC: I believe the below points should all be posted in the OOC thread, so I am moving them there as Ohrin does not know Njord's thoughts unless Njord shares them in-character.)

Kraftwerk wrote:
    Through his open eye, he regarded the doll anew....

Ohrin completed his scan of the doll and the room (and I assume both Njord and Saevil, along with the wolf, remained behind him to avoid being scanned). "Well, that's...interesting." Ohrin looks at Njord. "Either a druid, or perhaps a priest of a nature god, has enchanted this doll with some sort of nature magic. Never seen anything like it and, before you ask, no, I have no idea what the enchantment does or is doing. How did you get the doll, again? I confess I wasn't paying attention earlier."
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue May 31, 2016 7:34 pm  

Quote:

Ohrin listens politely and nods. "It is your right, of course, to make such a request, and I shall honor it. Does this also include the use of magicks upon your person if you have been rendered unconscious, paralyzed, catatonic, non-responsive, or any and all other similar conditions, up to, and including, death? Also, how do you feel about the use of healing magic? It would not be very efficient if I had to ask for your permission to heal you while we are fighting against some foe for our lives."

Njord seems to lose himself in some thinking. He lifts up his hands and coated arms slightly in front of himself, almost in examination, then replies, "These healings...will probably work. I give permission to use them. But, we will have more time to speak of such things on journey."

Quote:

Ohrin thinks carefully for a second before replying. "I do not feel it prudent to give any petitioner such warning. They are volunteering for a mission led by us; I believe we have the right to use any non-harmful methods at our disposal for determining the final make up of our team. Also, should any of them refuse, what then? Would that be enough grounds to not invite them to join us? What if they all refuse? As a divine servant of the Lord Archmage, it is my right to use the magic gifts he bestows upon me as I see fit. No warning shall be provided and I ask that you refrain from giving them one. The goal here is simply to determine if any of them are black-hearted and to remove them from consideration, nothing more."

"Very well." Njord responded. "I will say nothing. Will be curious what is revealed. I have been told of difference between magic of knowing and magic of...controlling." With that Njord seems to get lost in thought, in his memories, perhaps.

Quote:

Ohrin completed his scan of the doll and the room (and I assume both Njord and Saevil, along with the wolf, remained behind him to avoid being scanned). "Well, that's...interesting." Ohrin looks at Njord. "Either a druid, or perhaps a priest of a nature god, has enchanted this doll with some sort of nature magic. Never seen anything like it and, before you ask, no, I have no idea what the enchantment does or is doing. How did you get the doll, again? I confess I wasn't paying attention earlier."

Njord is rather amazed at Ohrin's assessment, and is surprised he hadn't heard him speak to Crow Jane. "I was given Olivia by lovely Matildya, one of the Ruddyfoot children. Those same who brought us food and drink." Then, after a brief ponder, he asks, "Do you know if The Dark One is a druid, or priest of nature?"
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue May 31, 2016 11:13 pm  

[* Njord should receive Ohrin's reply to Njord's Q about the Dark One and druidism, as that was probably from an earlier exchange, anyway. After that... *]

Njord prepares to leave, heading toward Milleen's to inform both her and Crow Jane that they have been accepted into the group.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:22 am  

Syzygyst wrote:
    Njord seems to lose himself in some thinking. He lifts up his hands and coated arms slightly in front of himself, almost in examination, then replies, "These healings...will probably work. I give permission to use them. But, we will have more time to speak of such things on journey."

"Understood."

Syzygyst wrote:
    "I was given Olivia by lovely Matildya, one of the Ruddyfoot children. Those same who brought us food and drink." Then, after a brief ponder, he asks, "Do you know if The Dark One is a druid, or priest of nature?"

"Sorry, I do not."
       Canonfire Forum Index -> Expedition to the Land of Black Ice All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    [ Previous  1, 2]
    Page 2 of 2

Jump to: