JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - The North Kingdom's Town of Edgefield
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    The North Kingdom's Town of Edgefield
    BANNED

Thu Apr 14, 2016 6:52 am  
    The North Kingdom's Town of Edgefield

Hey all. Long time lurker, first time poster. This site has been a wealth of information over the years that I've run or participated in Greyhawk games.

... And until now, I was perfectly content with lurking. My games were usually small in scope (and low to mid level), so they almost never left the confines of one particular nation. I was able to study and prep long before the campaign ever hit the ground running, but I don't think I was ever knowledgeable enough to contribute anything worthwhile to these forums.

However, I've run into a bit of a snag so I hope you can help. My current game has been going on for nearly two years now, and the players are closing in on max level. They got access to an atlas of the Flaeness (Anna's map), and decided to go to...

Edgefield. In the North Kingdom. Don't know why. I could always homebrew it but I was hoping some sages might be able to help me before the next session comes up (as early as next week, welp!).

So... can any of you:

• Provide any pertinent information concerning the town or region, or any modules that might be able to do so?

• Offer any interesting high-level plot hooks? This is a sort of side story, so it needn't be long or in depth. Just something to distance themselves from the same plot they've been following for the past two IRL years.

Campaign takes place post Greyhawk Wars. Thanks in advance.
    GreySage

Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:36 pm  

There's a description of Edge Field (spelled as two words) in Ivid the Undying (which you can download as a .pdf file here, if you haven't already).

The primary adversaries PCs are likely to face in Edge Field are Hastern, the animus prince who rules the city, and Plandarn Relshefer, an assassin for the Midnight Darkness. I would assume that Rostanna, the proprietor of the House of Pleasure, is a very influential local figure with her fingers in many pies.

Other prominent buildings include the jail, which has "virtually impregnable stone walls and many magical wards and barriers," and the dweomertorium, which has a glassteel cupola the local mages use to study astrology.

Some story hooks I just brushed off the cuff of my sleeve:

- Someone is killing patrons of Rostanna's House of Pleasure, and this greatly annoys both Rostanna and the nest of polymorphed fiends that depend on her clients for sustenance (if you have Green Ronin's Book of Fiends, consider using pain mistresses, painshriekers, and strigae; if you have Fiendish Codex II, consider using pleasure devils; otherwise succubi, erinyes, or perhaps even barbed devils). The PCs, staying at a local inn or the House of Pleasure itself, are attacked at night by fiends desperate for new victims; if one is interrogated they learn that the tenuous peace brokered between devils and mortals has been broken by the assassin.

- Some of the bandits captured in the Adri Forest by Prince Hastern's orcish troops have knowledge of the Coldwood and its ancient secrets. If the PCs break them out of jail, they may be valuable guides.

- Prince Hastern has in his possession ancient artifacts (Gnomish? Elvish? Orcish? Dragonish? Ur-Flan? Keraptis?) recovered from the Blemu Hills. The PCs may be tempted to break into his palace and steal them.

- The mages of the Dweomertorium have summoned unclean things from beyond the stars (mooncalves, mi-go, brain collectors, stellar dragons, whatever) and they break loose while the PCs are in the city, or maybe the PCs accidentally let them loose while messing around unaccompanied in the Dweomertorium. I'm pretty sure that's what astrology is.

- Plandarn Relshefer has contrived to separate the PCs and have his agents try to kill them individually in elaborate ways. If they fail, it will be difficult to trace the agents back to their superior.

- A powerful spirit of the forest—a lyrannikin—has emerged from the Adri to demand reparations from the prince of the marauding humans. If it is not satisfied, the forest itself will erupt from the streets and seek to kill the two-legged interlopers who foolishly thought to encroach upon the lyrannikin's domain. Have you read that issue of Alan Moore's Swamp Thing where the Swamp Thing is invading Gotham City?
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:08 pm  

Both Chokestone and the Causeway of Fiends/Isle of Lost Souls are within fairly easy travel distance of Edge Field. Both in Ivid, and there's a good article online about the latter. http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=lg/lgmp/20080415a.
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:34 am  

You may also wish to look at The Oerth Journal #24. Inside is the *HIGH LEVEL* adventure "The Sundered Spark", which features the Causeway of Fiends and the Isle of Souls.

Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:33 am  

Thanks, everyone!

While the Causeway of Fiends / Isle of Souls seem like interesting locales, I feel like I'm going to keep the plot centered around the city itself. Rasgon: wonderful suggestions as always; I'll certainly find a way to integrate those NPCs into the plot.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:31 am  

Just out of curiosity, how did Ralz get banned in two days?! Confused Laughing

Is this an error?
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:08 am  

I have no idea. It seems that when I go away on vacation, stuff always happens. Could be a glitch, maybe not. I'll have to check in with those who actually have the ability to ban somebody.
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: