ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Monsters "of Fearun" on Oerth
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Monsters "of Fearun" on Oerth
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Nov 02, 2004 2:52 pm  
    Monsters "of Fearun" on Oerth

Hi,

I was compiling a list of monsters presented in Monsters of Faerun that are present (or even born) on Oerth.

For now, I concluded there are communities of these monsters on Oerth (or, in the case of outsiders, that can be found in the Flanaess):

Aaracokra
    Abishai
    Beholderkin and beholder magi
    Black unicorn
    Dragon, brown
    Dragon, deep
    Dragon, shadow
    Dragon, fang
    Bulliwug
    Cloaker lord
    Crawling claw
    Curst
    Dark tree
    Firenewt
    Giant strider
    Gibberling
    Green warden
    leucrotta
    Myrlochar
    Quaggoth
    Siv
    Wemic
    Yochlol

Can you tell me if there are species not native on Oerth in the list?

I am in doubt about the following:
    Shalarin
    Stinger
    Pterafolk
    Meazel
    Hybsil
    Fog giant
    Alaghi
    Asabi

Can you help me and tell me if "officilally" these races are present on Oerth?

Thanks in advance! ;)
    Adept Greytalker

Tue Nov 02, 2004 6:26 pm  
    Re: Monsters "of Fearun" on Oerth

Jakob81 wrote:
    Hi,

I was compiling a list of monsters presented in Monsters of Faerun that are present (or even born) on Oerth.

For now, I concluded there are communities of these monsters on Oerth (or, in the case of outsiders, that can be found in the Flanaess):

Aaracokra
    Abishai
    Black unicorn
    Dragon, brown
    Dragon, deep
    Dragon, shadow
    Dragon, fang
    Bulliwug
    Cloaker lord
    Crawling claw
    Curst
    Dark tree
    Firenewt
    Giant strider
    Gibberling
    Green warden
    leucrotta
    Myrlochar
    Quaggoth
    Siv
    Wemic
    Yochlol

Can you tell me if there are species not native on Oerth in the list?

I am in doubt about the following:
    Shalarin
    Stinger
    Pterafolk
    Meazel
    Hybsil
    Fog giant
    Alaghi
    Asabi

Can you help me and tell me if "officilally" these races are present on Oerth?

Thanks in advance! ;)

I think whatever monsters YOU want to be present on Oerth are present, and that's all there is to it. There's certainly alot of Oerth left for undiscovered creatures.

That said, meazel, hybsils, fog giants, and alaghi should all be GH, either through book of origin or just because. Asabi, siv, curst, brown dragons, and fang dragons have stronger FR links.

But as I said, it should be up to you.

Cheers,
    Nell.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Nov 03, 2004 12:19 am  

Quote:
    I think whatever monsters YOU want to be present on Oerth are present, and that's all there is to it

Well, I tought this was obvious... Laughing

Quote:
    Asabi, siv, curst, brown dragons, and fang dragons have stronger FR links.

Thanks a lot! :)
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Nov 03, 2004 7:23 am  

Whatever works for you! I have used monsters from many other sources including the Tome of Horrors I, and Tome of Horrors II. I have also extensively used Forgotten Realms UNDERDARK (whick with the exception of a few noticable areas) works very well in the Under Oerth IMO. I tend to be a tradionalist when it comes to these things, so personally I don't uses creatures that are too "funky."

I don't know much about the particulars of the monsters fron Faerun, but with a little work I think many of them could probably be used on Oerth.

................................Omote
    FPQ

Wed Nov 03, 2004 7:49 am  

Recently, I had the good fortune to find a lot of 3E Forgotten Realms products offered for sale at less than 50% of the cover price. I purchased them. Looking the books over, I noted how much of the material was Realms in name only, meaning it could have been set anywhere. I think Monsters of Faerun fits this bill. Even the identifiably Realms monsters seem to have only limited backstories that tie them to the Realms. With perhaps a very few exceptions, I think monsters are fungible between campaign settings.

As a broad generalization, I think any monster and any spell can be used in any setting without much need to "justify" it. I don't think spells and monsters are truly setting specific.

A different question arises, I think, with respect to classes or prestige classes. For example, there are no Red Wizards in Greyhawk. They are a fixture of the Forgotten Realms. But how difficult is it to imagine that the Scarlet Brotherhood might not have a wizardly arm of "Red Wizards." Some "conversion" is necessary with respect to backstory, certainly, but I don't think there is a mechanical problem.

As a broad generalization, I think any class or prestige class can be used in any setting with only a moderate need to "justify" it. Such justification would only amount to cleaning up the backstory to fit the setting, in this case Greyhawk.

A third question arises with respect to setting specific deities and associated classes. For example, Mystra, the Forgotten Realms deity of magic, placed in Greyhawk would raise some immediate concerns and questions. But what about Auril, Realms goddess of the cold? In Forstburn, a "generic" product that has been specifically mentioned in the Greyhawk Land of Black Ice adventure in a recent Dungeon article, Auril is listed as a goddess of the "Frostfell" as is Telchur etc.

Ranging further afield on this topic, demi-human deities have been used across settings on a fairly regular basis. So have demon lords. So human deities are different than demi-human deities or demon lords why? Don't they just need a bit of backstory adjustment, like monsters?

As a broad generalization, I think deities, particularly more minor ones, can be used in any setting with only a minor to moderate need to justify them.

Lastly, we come again to canon. "Is it canon?" "What does canon say?" I think these kinds of questions are a type of "green-eye shade" gaming that runs contrary to imagination and creativity.

Unless we are to agree that canon helps to define a setting in terms so meaningful and important that violating the canon, or operating without the clear agreement of canon, means you are violating, or doing violence to, the setting, questions of canon are unimportant beyond a curiosity factor.

IMO canon should be a point of departure for the imagination, not an end. When we ask, "Is it canon?" "What does canon say?" We are asking a question of sharply limited value IMO.

If we must adhere to canon or use canon as a necessary precursor to our own imaginings, then several results seem to be implied:

(1) New players without access to all the old canon resources are screwed. I recoil in revulsion at any such suggestion.

(2) New players without access to all the old canon resources must constantly be asking those with access, "What does canon say?" I find such a state a poor one to place anyone in and dull beyond imagining to have to read. Yet, looking at this site and Wizards, many, many questions fall squarely in this category. New players are reduced to supplicants at the feet of older players with greater canon resources or those players who have purchased all the old source material. I can't imagine new players sticking around in such permanent state knowledge servitude.

(3) Everyone, knowledgeable of canon or ignorant, must await new wisdom to drip from the lips of Eric Mona and those he choses to see published. Nothing against these worthies but I would again recoil at such idolatry. Yet, again, we see it here and at Wizards. It is worse, however, for the Ebberon fans who seem entirely willing bend their necks at Keith Baker's word or in anticipation of it. What is it about gamers, who are supposedly intelligent and imaginative, that sees them bowing to authority figures only lately fans themselves and breathlessly panting for a word from one of these authority figures. Then again, I don't get the fuss over Paris Hilton either.

Coming back around, rather than asking "Is it canon?" I offer that the better statement would be "Here is how I see this fitting into Greyhawk."

I find myself now months into my aquaintainance with online fandom coming to despise canon as the opiate of the masses, where once I was entirely reconciled and supportive of it.

And this raises the ultimate canon question, I think - Does canon define and differientiate campaign setting? Without canon are Greyhawk and the Realms the same?

Certainly, consistency with prescedent or canon has value. If the sun rises in the east today, it would be jarring to find it said to rise in the west tommorrow. But that is an obvious and cheaply made point. Not every factoid is akin to where the sun rises.

Is Greyhawk nothing but a collection of canon factoids? I think not. I think Greyhawk is defined by - (1) certain very large scale facts or canon imprints; (2) geography as it relates to the interaction, present, past and future between the given peoples and nationstates; and (3) a unique "feel" or approach to fantasy roleplaying (much like Conan stories are different than Lankhmar stories that are different than Elric stories that are all different from LotR or the Wheel of Time etc.).

My two cents,

GVD

Wed Nov 03, 2004 9:13 am  

most of your initial list plus
    Stingers (manscorpions)
    Meazel
    Hybsil
    Fog giant
    Alaghi

are all 1-2e monsters that have been found on Oerth, either listed in products or on encounter tables.

as has been previously noted Curst, Siv, Brown dragons, fang dragons, Shalarin and Asabi each have strong ties to the Forgotten Realms setting, and while you could certainly use them in greyhawk if you wanted to, they have no historical or canonical references that I know of in material pertaining to Oerth.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Wed Nov 03, 2004 1:54 pm  

cwslyclgh wrote:

as has been previously noted Curst, Siv, Brown dragons, fang dragons, Shalarin and Asabi each have strong ties to the Forgotten Realms setting, and while you could certainly use them in greyhawk if you wanted to, they have no historical or canonical references that I know of in material pertaining to Oerth.

"while you could certainly use them in greyhawk if you wanted to, they have no historical or canonical references . . . in material pertaining to Oerth."

An example of precisely what I was speaking of above. This seems to say that the choice to use these monsters is undercut to some degree by their not having a place in canon. Granted the original post put the question in this kind of context but there again is what I was referring to above.

No consideration of the actual merits of using these monsters is to be had. There is just a discussion of canon, as if the answer to the canon question was more important than the question of whether these monsters might prove interesting or useful.

I do not mean to dump on the original poster or the people responding. I do mean to focus a light on what is being asked and how it is answered. Canon. Canon. Canon. With no thought by questioner or respondent given to what the monster is or how it might play. All is answered in terms of canon.

As previously noted, I think this type of canon-idolatry is a disease.

GVD

Wed Nov 03, 2004 2:24 pm  

I personaly own a copy of every FR product (gaming related at least, I do not have all of the novels), and I use stuff from the newer (3.x) FR stuff in my greyhawk games all the time... I also own plenty of Ravenloft products from 2e, and use ideas at least from them on occasion, some birthright and mystara stuff, and nearly all of the greyhawk stuff. Hell in my game I use spells, feats, magic items, monsters etc. from any source that I have access to, but I always try to put what ever I use into the context of the World that I am DMing.

The creatures I mentioned above have very strong ties to the FR setting, created specifically for that setting with historical background and reasons for them to exist strongly tied to that world (perhaps not fully related in MoF, but definatly in thier prior appearences).

that being the case it would be harder to use them in a greyhawk game simply because you would have to redo all of tha stuff for greyhawk (unless of course you don't care about any sort of internal consistancy, some people don't, but I try very hard to go for a suspension of disbelief among my players, I think it makes it funner all around).

note that I do use Fang and Brown dragons in my greyhawk, with brown dragons living in the sea of dust, and fang dragons scattered across various areas of hills and forests.

however I do not use Curst for a couple of reasons, one is that thier origen is strongly tied to the Time of troubles, which greyhawk never went through. (the other is that they are a broken monster by 3.x rules, they were poorly written in 3.0, and were not fixed with the 3.5 update).

most everybody that responded put something like "use what ever works for you" someplace in thier post, and then went on to talk about what has officialy been seen in the WoG, I think that is fitting since that is what the initial post asked about.

finaly GVD, concerning canon... when many people talk about the same thing (in this case the world of greyhawk) and each of those people are doing thier own thing in relation to that thing (in this case running thier own WoG games)... canon is realy the only point of reference that we have to relate to one another.

If I started babling away about the "Scarlet Spellsters of the Thilvanot" nobody would know that I am talking about a PrC based upon the red wizard PrC from the FRCS.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Nov 04, 2004 2:48 am  

Quote:
    while you could certainly use them in greyhawk if you wanted to, they have no historical or canonical references . . . in material pertaining to Oerth."

Waitwaitwait.

I assume the "everything that fits is good" statement is holy word.

Anyway, I was just asking which of the said monsters were good to be put on Oerth for:
    A) presence in past modules/adventures/sourcebooks
    B) feeling.

About point A: I'm writing part of a would-be-netbook concerning druidism on Oerth (in italian ,of course Smile), so I wanted to be sure some creatures actually LIVE in the Flanaess.
    I already know I can imagine pterafolk living in the Amedio jungle or Shalarins as offsprings of a (look out, I'm saying the first thing coming to my deranged mind Laughing) malenti and skums, but wanted to be sure I was placing creatures... "correctly". Wink

Point B: In the FR setting there are god-hating atheist gargoyles (I REALLY can't recall their name... Confused). I don't think the relation between man and gods on Oerth is strong enough to justify their presence.
    This is just an example: many monsters "feel like Oerth", while others do not.
    I was asking for advice on which are good for our beloved Flanaess and which are not.

That said, I adapted the Thayan Knight calling it "Celestial House Protector", and even tought about recreating the Kraken Society in the Azure Sea...
    So, I know I can almost do what I want, don't worry! Wink

EDIT: so this should be the updated list.

Aaracokra
    Abishai
    Alaghi
    Black unicorn
    Dragon, deep
    Dragon, shadow
    Bulliwug
    Cloaker lord
    Crawling claw
    Dark tree
    Firenewt
    Fog giant
    Giant strider
    Gibberling
    Green warden
    Hybsil
    Leucrotta
    Meazel
    Myrlochar
    Quaggoth
    Stinger (manscorpion)
    Wemic
    Yochlol
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Thu Nov 04, 2004 6:30 am  

CW,

In Monsters of Faerun, every monster comes with a "generic" history and a Realms specific notation at the end of each monster entry. It is, thus, entirely possible to divorce any of these monsters from the Realms, even if that is where they first saw the light of day.

You made note of the Curst as connected to the Time of Troubles. That is the Realms specific entry. The generic entry has Curst as the result of a Bestow Curse spell and a Wish or Miracle. I'll grant you that the generic description is bland and farfetched but the point is that the Curst is not inherently tied to the Realms by the presentation.

That said, I can see that, if you are or were a big Realms fan, and remember the Curst vividly, then moving them from the Realms could be a problem for you.

I don't have this issue and the only monster I find problematic in the Monsters of Faerun is the Phaerim and that because they are described as, and look like, "10-12-foot-tall-windsocks." To me, this is a monster which inspires all the awe and dread of the Flumph. I find it problematic because it is a dumb monster, not because it is a Realms monster.

Again, I think the focus is better placed on utility than on canon. Asking if these monsters are canon, to me, misses the point and illustrates a concern for form over substance. Is it a cool monster - is the all together better and more productive question I think.

Jakob,

I understand what you are saying and I agree about "feel." The feel of Greyhawk is very important IMO. The "feel' is, however, in no reliable way inherently connected to canon. There are lots of "canon" sources that do not "feel" like Greyhawk to me. Rose Estes, Childs Play, Gargoyles, funny Castle Greyhawk are too easy examples. I'll use Valley of the Mage by Jean Rabe. It is not usually on everyone's list of horrible Greyhawk products but I find it appallingly bad, worse because it stands as the most definitive treatment of the Valley of the Mage to yet see print. It is a cool idea gone terribly wrong by an author who obviously had to "read up " on Greyhawk and didn't do a very good job, compounded by an editor who obviously didn't even "read up" on Greyhawk. But it is canon. Yet, it doesn't "feel" like Greyhawk to me.

So, canon does not equal Greyhawk feel. IMO.

As you are writing a netbook, "presence in past modules/adventures/sourcebooks" should not be your lodestar. Cool stuff should be, as you want people to read what you are going to the trouble of creating. You need to hook your audience and cool stuff will do so far more than canon stuff. When I read Topic articles, for example, I look for cool stuff. Canon wonks generally write plodding stuff because they allow canon to fetter them too much. Canon need not be a fetter but it can too easily become the be-all-to-end-all, an end in itself. The best material, IMO, blends canon with big doses of original, non-canon, material.

When you say you wanted creatures that actually "LIVE" in the Flanaess, I think you are off on the wrong track. As noted above, practically any creature can live in the Flanaess, straight away or with a little work. The better question is whether any creature under consideration would be neat to see in the Flanaess and whether you can find a creative way to bring them in.

Canon is too readily a passage to wonkish irrelevance and dullness. This need not be the case but it is too easy to see canon as the sum total of acceptible expression.

IMO

GVD
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: