JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Goblin Cleric of Pelor
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Goblin Cleric of Pelor
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat Nov 13, 2004 2:02 pm  
    Goblin Cleric of Pelor

Last night, I pulled out one of the 2E encoutner cards, the one where the party is given a goblin babe by the mother, who fles inot a hole. The Cleric of Pelor, one Elius Drakhar, dropped it off w/ a +1 mace at a temple of his diety. Anyone got any idea how long it takes for a goblin to reach his mid-teens.
    CF Admin

Sat Nov 13, 2004 2:32 pm  

I believe the average life expectancy of an Orc is 60 years, which is relatively close to a Dark Ages human living in the same conditions.

So, I would be apt to say it is roughly the same as your average human being.

Sun Nov 14, 2004 9:50 am  

According to 2e's The Complete Book of Humanoids, the starting age of a goblin is 12 + d6 years old. The same source lists the starting age of orcs as 10 + d4 years old. This product is a good resource.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun Nov 21, 2004 6:17 pm  

I use to have the Complete Book of Humanoids, but no one ever wanted to use it. I traded it for the Complete Wizard's, I think...
    Any ideas on the racial problems "Narmol" will face?
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Nov 22, 2004 11:30 am  

He will be distrusted by Humans and elves, disliked by Dwarves, hated by Gnomes, looked down upon by Orcs, and Halflings will try to take advantage of him.
    But the devotees of Pelor everywhere will give him a safety net.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat Nov 27, 2004 7:43 pm  

Yes, but in the faith however, would he be trreated well. Boasted about as an example of Pelor's understanding and "rightness", or tried to be covered up, as a dark secret?
    Adept Greytalker

Mon Nov 29, 2004 5:56 am  

I think you should play it how you want to. That's the beauty of being the DM.

I think it is likely that the majority of the faith would see it as a matter of pride but there would also be a number who may not see it this way. As for the common folk - they would see the green skin before they saw the symbol of Pelor and he would have trouble nearly everywhere he went.

On a similar topic - in my campaign at the moment I foolishly let a player be a half-drow. I agreed because it was his first time gaming, he wanted a character with a lot of roleplaying potential and i wante dhis first game to be fun. But I explained the huge problems he would encounter. It finally sunk into him last night that just because he isnt evil doesnt mean that people will be happy to see him. A rough time in Nulb and a wake up call in Verbobonc have made him realise that he will never be able to walk about freely and he will never find total acceptance apart from with a few. Needless to say he considered investing in a hat of disguise a sensible decision.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:34 pm  

There was a variation on that with an encounter in the City of Greyhawk encounter cards, called (IIRC) "Ogres of the Blinding Light".
    Master Greytalker

Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:35 am  

IIRC; Ogres of the Blinding Light are killed Exclamation

Those encountered saw the outer ogre but not the inner spirit. Cry
    Journeyman Greytalker

Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:42 pm  

Reminds me of something.... I seem to remember a Troll paladin of Pholtus or someone in a scenario or two running round the Pale in living greyhawk.

Interesting reactions from players...

A troll! Kill the monster!
    Wait, Its a paladin? Talk with it!
    Oh, its a pholtian paladin... Kill the monster!

Pholtians of the Blinding Light were not well like by people from outside of the Pale, all those unbending rules and re-education camps...
    Journeyman Greytalker

Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:22 pm  

I think he would have a lonely existence, as the goblin would probably think of himself as a short, ugly human since he was raised by humans. In fact, he might have run away from home when he discovered he wasn't human. If his stats sucked, he might have been turned into a hidden servant (just because Pelorites are NG doesn't mean they wouldn't have discrimination issues). If he left the church to find work and he tried to travel though most civilized lands on his own, he'd likely be killed or at the least imprisoned/run out of town.

However, one scenario I can see is if the Pelorites train him to be a spy in Iuz's lands. They could send him to the North, particularly the BK and put him in touch with some adventurers who could help him with supplies, etc. Of course, once said goblin encounters his own kind, he may decide that being a goblin does not = being evil, and that in fact it is the expansionistic, colonial humans who are evil.

Re: other monstrous race characters in LG, there was a kobold paladin NPC in a series of mods, and one player got to play a hobgoblin or bugbear PC in the Gran March. In the BK, we lobbied and lobbied to be allowed full-blooded orc PCs, due to the BK's population demographics, but it was not allowed. They wouldn't even allow us goblin PCs (imo, Chris Tulach of the RPGA was protecting Xendrick's draw of allowing evil PC races by making sure we couldn't use them in LG).
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:54 am  

Crag wrote:
    IIRC; Ogres of the Blinding Light are killed
    Those encountered saw the outer ogre but not the inner spirit.

1) In this case, "The Born Again Ogres of the Blinding Light" (CG02) had previously killed some Dwarves, so...

2) I didn't like the ramrod way in which the encounter was fashioned (i.e., no matter what the PCs do, all of the Ogres get whacked, along with all of the Dwarves. If I ever run that encounter (it'll be awhile, since since it's set 580-582), I'll remove the deterministic aspects, and give the Ogres (and the Dwarves) a chance, based on PC actions.

aurdraco wrote:
    ...However, one scenario I can see is if the Pelorites train him to be a spy in Iuz's lands. They could send him to the North, particularly the BK and put him in touch with some adventurers who could help him with supplies, etc...

-I forgot another example; there is a Lizardman Ranger fighting Iuz in in "Border Watch" (WGM), who seems to be patterned on Barney the Purple Dinosaur. Again, it'll be a while before I DM (set in 585), but some PCs could meet a younger version of him before then (and probably kill him, or be killed by him. Nitwits... Happy )
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: