Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - aristocrat NPC class rules!
    Canonfire Forum Index -> The Backalley
    aristocrat NPC class rules!
    Forum Moderator

Tue Nov 16, 2004 10:13 pm  
    aristocrat NPC class rules!

Well I recently got into a new campign (of which I will not discuss here) and to be different, or rather irritating since I like to DM more than play, I made a 1st level Aristocrat from the DMG. And guess what, I never knew it but next to rogue it is now my favorite 1st level option!

Off the top of my head, they start with Martial and simple weapon feats. All armor and shield feats. That's huge already! Then they get a good skill selection, almost as versatile as rogue. Lots of charisma skills, which are my favorite. They get 4+INT to spend which is quite good I must say. d8 HD is awesome. BAT +0 I can live with, and their best save is Willpower which is good by me. Now the kicker...6d8X10 GP....twice as much as the best PC class starts with. I think aristocrat coupled with rogue at 2nd level is a good combination, just thought I'd share.
    Master Greytalker

Wed Nov 17, 2004 8:40 am  
    Mort

I also love the aristocrat. However, we found that upper levels, they just couldn't keep up with the adventuring life style. With this in mind, we created the Noble, a PC version of this NPC class.

It is powered up a little, but is focused on skills, leadership and command. This class is for those who become the nobility, not those who inherit the rank. Think Ceasar or Arthur, instead of Caligula or Louis XVI. Oddly, the class is an unusual mirror of the rogue. It is the Aristocrat, powered up a little, focused on skills, leadership and command.

We are only to 4th level, but it is playtesting out very well. If you interested, let me know and I will send you a PDF. Suggestions and other playtesters would be welcome.
    CF Admin

Wed Nov 17, 2004 2:27 pm  

May I also suggest Green Ronin's Noble Handbook.

http://www.greenronin.com/catalog/grr1305

Its a great book and while the Noble is a bit more martial its still worth a look for the Machiavellian in all of us.

Wed Nov 17, 2004 3:40 pm  

There is also a noble class in Conan d20 and I heard people speaking well of it, though I haven't read it.

Victor Caminha
    Forum Moderator

Wed Nov 17, 2004 9:18 pm  

Good suggestions yall. I myself have played a noble PC class in d20 Starwars and it has an ability to generate income daily. Quite lucrative! As for D&D I doubt I'll go straight aristocrat for long(I think the DMG says you can't take a level in aristocrat except at 1st level). Eventually I'll find a PrC or two to fit nice with a noble type.
    Master Greytalker

Mon Nov 22, 2004 7:06 pm  
    Noble Class

I was going to post our revised class but it seemed too long so I submitted it as an article. Post Fest was probably not the best time.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Nov 22, 2004 10:04 pm  

The Marshal class from the Miniatures Handbook makes an interesting departure from the norm, and it has the advantage of being an actual PC class
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Feb 08, 2005 1:30 pm  
    I agree the Aristocrat/Noble does rock

When my group started a 3E adventuring I created a Elven Noble character, based out of Highfolk. He is approaching 10th level character class and I have added 2 other classes before he goes for his Arcane archer prestige class. Both the DMG's Aristocrat and Green Ronin's Noble class are excellent for the fairly well equipped adventurer. Green Ronin's Noble class does have added hooks which make for great adventuring. I highly recommend it. Cool
       Canonfire Forum Index -> The Backalley All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: