Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Druid Weapons (specifically the Scimitar)
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Druid Weapons (specifically the Scimitar)
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Nov 22, 2004 3:59 am  
    Druid Weapons (specifically the Scimitar)

I was just wondering if anyone knew the significance of allowing Druids to use Scimitars.

The druid class is rooted (lol) quite firmly in a European/Germanic/Celtic/Whatever mythic iconographic base and yet the Scimitar seems too Arabic/Persian/Whatever to fit this concept. Maybe the scimitar was originally seen as sickle-like and would fit the image but I can't see that as a viable reason.

*shrug*

Any thoughts/ideas/suggestions?
    Adept Greytalker

Mon Nov 22, 2004 12:54 pm  

the druid class was given the scimitar on its weapon list because of its cressent shaped blade (the same reason that Khopesh, an ancient Egyptian weapon) was added to thier class list in 2e.

basicaly when assigning druid weapons, it seems that they were given weapons that were A> associated with the lower class celtic society--spears, daggers, clubs, etc. or B>cressent shaped-- sickles, scimitars etc.

it should also be noted that in 1e when the druids were given thier weapon limitations the Scimitar actually covered pretty much any curved sword (See the 1e PHB page 37, under the Notes after scimitar on weight and damage by weapon type table).

I do not know what edition that you play, but in the current edition (3.5) druids are no longer limited to those weapons... they start out proffecient with the weapons on the list, but can learn how to use others by taking the appropriate weapon profeciencey feats... armor is another matter however... if they use metal armor (whather they have the appropriate feat or not) they lose thier spell casting ability for 24 hours. (In previous editions this limitation applied to the weapons as well... ie if an illegal weapon was used then loss of spell casting for a time, but that has been removed in 3.5)

Last edited by cwslyclgh on Mon Nov 22, 2004 2:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Master Greytalker

Mon Nov 22, 2004 1:30 pm  
    Just the other day.

This question was asked the other day by my group (partially in an desire to have other weapons) and I finally told them the why's didn't matter, it was a religious restriction. When they have the opportunity I suggest they take it up with the god, until then, it was a closed discussion. I did this intentionally. It seems that my players only get "Logical," and desirous of answers when they feel the rules need changing.

Part of the magic of a Magic world is that things don't make logical sense.

Not really an answer to your question, but curious coincidence
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Nov 22, 2004 4:56 pm  

The scimitar as related to the Druid is a variation on the silver sickle myth. During the Rennaissance, an idyllic view of the ancient Druid began to emerge, one that showed the Druid as a man so in touch with nature he would only harvest from his beloved trees with a sacred sickle made of blessed silver.
    The logic of the scimitar is that its sickle shape makes it "special".
    Historically the Welsh and Norse mix of the Southern Welsh people gave Fulla a high place in their religious practices. She is often seen wielding a silver scythe named Havstir.

I allow Druids in my campaign the addition of the scythe to their weapons proficiency.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Nov 24, 2004 10:01 am  

Thanks for the thoughts guys.

cwslyclgh - I'm currently playing a Druid in e3.5 and I'm still getting my head around the feats and weapon proficiency stuff. I forgot I could just take one and tool up a bit more. Thanks.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: