ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Egg of Coot.
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Egg of Coot.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Nov 29, 2004 4:14 am  
    Egg of Coot.

Hello everybody.

I was wondering if anybody could tell me something about this mysterious person/creature. I am writing on a campaign that is set in Blackmoor and i need some information on The Egg Of Coot. Who or what is he?

Anybody???

(this is the first time i post a topic)
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Nov 29, 2004 5:59 am  

I too am setting up a Blackmoor campaign and have pondered the same question. I'm not quite sure what I will do, even if I will use the Egg, but I get the feeling that it maybe a crashed space vessel, hence the strange markings and metal construction with some form of intelligent life inside.

I'm sure there are other Canonfirememebers who are much more knowledgable about this issue that I, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

BTW What are you doing with the Black Ice? Have you worked out an explanation for its existence?
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Nov 29, 2004 9:16 am  

Thanks for the help. The only thing that i have heard about the egg is that he might be a swamp monster??

I am note sure what to do with the Black Ice yet.....maybe a connection with oerthmagi??? I'm not sure.
    Forum Moderator

Mon Nov 29, 2004 11:39 am  

I suggest you get/peruse Dave Arneson's Blackmoor (Goodman Games). In it, the Egg of Coot iirc is undefined magical entity which should give you some latitude as a DM in designing him. Those who go into his lands and return, forget what they saw, which lends itself to his undefined nature. The book also speaks of his mind controlled Thralls (in WoG these would be the qullan for sure) and that the Egg wants all magic in the north.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Nov 29, 2004 11:57 am  

That sounds good. Where can i get get a hold of it? Is it a published game/book/adventure or what??
    Forum Moderator

Mon Nov 29, 2004 12:22 pm  

Yes, its a published third party d20 Game setting, based on the old basic D&D Blackmoor adventures by Arneson. Where to get it, I don't know. I ordered mine thru a distributer friend. I suggest you find it on the internet.
    Novice

Mon Nov 29, 2004 12:24 pm  

Is it just my imagination, or might the egg part of the name be a homage to E. Gary Gygax?
    Forum Moderator

Mon Nov 29, 2004 12:28 pm  

Yeah, half the names in GH are plays on names, if you know where to look for em. I'm more mystified by the Coot part. Confused
    Novice

Mon Nov 29, 2004 12:36 pm  

Well, Gygax must be getting on in years by now. Back in the day, we used to call seniors 'old coots'. Perhaps that is it? Smile
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Nov 29, 2004 12:49 pm  

I think i heard the name Gregg Scott somewhere??? I found the book at www.goodman.games.com Just have to find out how i get a copy of it all the way to little Denmark.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Dec 03, 2004 6:43 pm  

Here's something I found ...

http://www.greyhawkonline.com/grodog/gh_anagrams.html

_______

According to Gary Gygax in an ENWorld thread, "According to Dave Arneson the "Egg of Coot" was created from the name "Gregg Scott," the chap who ran the MicroArmor casting company some years back. Gregg dismissed fantasy games as childish and claimed wargaming was "manly."

Coot indeed!"
    ______

Egg of Coot was an evil swamp monster in Dave Arneson's Blackmoor game
    _______

Hope it helps to put things in "perspective".

Cheers
    CF Admin

Sat Dec 04, 2004 5:55 pm  

Thanks for the plug Zephirum :D

Sun Dec 05, 2004 3:26 am  

Thanks all of you. I have ordered a copy in my local gamestore and i'm really looking forward to it.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Dec 08, 2004 8:15 am  

It is interesting to note that the Egg of Coot is clearly defined as a "Dungeon" location on the new world map of GH. Not that that has really anything to do with it, but now we know for sure a dungeon is involved.

..............................Omote
    FPQ

Tue Dec 14, 2004 5:57 am  

Just got my copy of Dave Arneson's Blackmoor from USA today Laughing
    Great work.
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Tue Dec 14, 2004 6:53 am  

Considering all of the technology within the City of the Gods and similar environments(such as in Expedition to the Barrier Peaks), the Egg of Coot being described as an "undefined magical entity" leads me to the conclusion that it is in reality a super computer. The description "undefined magical entiy" makes me hearken back to the module Expedition to the Barrier peaks, and how it went about describing all of the technological items that adventurer's could find.
    Forum Moderator

Tue Dec 14, 2004 9:13 am  

Yeah that's kinda where I was going with Coot IMC way back. All evidence points to technology misinterpreted as magic. DA's Blackmoor says people who go into the Coot's lands and return remember nothing. That has Total Recall and other sci-fi movies written all over it.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: