JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - The Undead of Oerth
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Readers Workshop
    The Undead of Oerth
    CF Admin

Wed Dec 08, 2004 6:58 am  
    The Undead of Oerth

Ok guys, the Undead of Oerth is up. Please let me know if I missed anybody! Wink

Also, I have 2 questions about the series.

1. Has anyone found any of the series useful?

2. What would you like to see next in the series?

Wed Dec 08, 2004 11:29 am  
    Thrommel

I think you might have missed Prince Thrommel who was turned into a vampire in the Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil Module. At least I have not seen him in the list at all.

If you are looking for suggestions as to the next list, I have always been a paladin fan. What about a list of the famous paladins of the Flanaess?

Wed Dec 08, 2004 11:36 am  

Wow, you are right. I had missed Thrommel!

Paladins? That could deffinitely be interesting. Perhaps after we garner a number of suggestions, I could create a poll.

I'd like to do a complete family tree of the Aerdy heirarchy and the different houses of their tribe. I'd imagine that would take a LOT of work, however. Sad

Wed Dec 08, 2004 1:08 pm  

okay... from the adventure cards in the CoG boxed set we have:

Haas'Baalbar, a lich (a rather weak one at that, only a 13th level wizard) who serves the "Neutral Evil Lords" who from my reading of the adventure would probably be Antraxus the decayed and the other Daemon/Ugoloth lords. He appears in "The Lich-Staff" (Card 10) the adventure takes place in the sewers of greyhawk city.

On card 8 from the same set "The Ghosts Ship" we have Captian Sileries Akarza, a ghost, and his former treacherous first mate Ricard, a spectre. The adventure takes place off the southern coast of the bright desert in the Sea of Gearant.
    CF Admin

Wed Dec 08, 2004 6:49 pm  
    Izrok Radja

Wizards of the Coast's Libris Mortis has a drow vampire from Erehei-Cinlu on page 164. Do v.3.5 sources count as places where the list derives it subjects?

Izrok Radja Male drow elf vampire, necromancer 11.

He is a really cool undead creature.

Wed Dec 08, 2004 9:41 pm  
    paladinsq

Heck, if you did the Paladins you could even include a bunch of the unded you have in this list here. Just think how many of them are actually fallen paladins really, especially the death knights. Shocked

Wed Dec 08, 2004 10:06 pm  

You might want to include Telagos human vampire Ftr 11, from Fred Weining's Denizens of Darkness from Dragon 300 pg. 91-2. Telagos was from Geoff and now dwells in the undergloom of Erelhai-Cinlu in Sarcoma Keep. Another look from Dungeon is the Kingdom of Ghouls by Wolfgang Baur in issue #70. It lists several ghouls from the flanaess dwelling in the near region of the D series and gives the first mention of Doresain, the White King, who later appears in Libris Mortis. Smile

Thu Dec 09, 2004 1:00 am  

Good work with the lists abysslin. Yes I find them useful. The dragon list is especially useful since my players are currently wanting to be dragon hunters, so now I have a 'hit list' to work from rather than hunt and peck.

As for new ideas, I think Archmages of Oerth would be extensive an interesting. I'm not sure what level to start 15th, 16th, 17th? It would just be cool to compare and contrast the high level arcanes. Maybe even break them down into allegiances?
    Adept Greytalker

Thu Dec 09, 2004 1:24 am  

if we were to go by first edition conventions archmage starts at 18th level...
    Forum Moderator

Thu Dec 09, 2004 8:13 am  

Darn! I was so close! Laughing
    CF Admin

Thu Dec 09, 2004 10:15 am  

Damn, 3rd Edition books sure have long product IDs!

Anyway, I'm updated to this point, thanks for help guys. Appreciate it. Wink

Thu Dec 09, 2004 12:57 pm  
    A few more undead

From Ivid the Undying, there was also an unnamed priest of Pholtus who was made into an undead that haunts the temple of Pholtus in Rauxes. He stands as "a failed attempt to create an animus from him", having animus stats but is virtually mindless. I know this is technically an unnamed undead, but his story is so compelling to investigate and/or lay to rest that I think we can include this poor soul in the database.

Also, in my Keoish Intelligence Report from the Sea Princes, I described the former Grandee of Westkeep, Maag, as an attempt by the Scarlet Brotherhood to create an animus. He may be a good one to add to the non canon list.

Finally, there was some undead mentioned in the Bastion of Faith - the Antiprophet of Heironeous Saint Ferrante. He is described as sorrt of a super death knight. His right hand man is the greater vampire Mursimion. Note that Saint Ferrante is not known to be the antiprophet of the faith, he is still thought to be a holy saint. If he is released from his tomb, the church of Heironeous will suffer horribly.

O-D
    Adept Greytalker

Thu Dec 09, 2004 1:06 pm  

well there are Skeltar and Zombire from both L1 and Return to the Keep on the Borderlands which are named unique undead, but they are not of the types you have listed (They are unique)... also Chantel the unique zombie you have listed first appears in Return to the Keep on the Borderlands (an official, if crappy, greyhawk product). There is also Klathun the Proud, a Morgh from my mini adventure Death at Dawn. (although I notice you don't have a morgh section either... not surprising since they first appear in the 3.0 MM IIRC).
    CF Admin

Thu Dec 09, 2004 1:12 pm  

OD and Wes,

I really appreciate the help, but would it be possible to convert your information into basic info for the 5 column table format?

NAME ->TYPE->PRODUCT->LOCATION->DESCRIPTION

If necessary, I can look up the Product IDs.

OD, I'm aware of the unnamed Animus, but I want to strictly stick to named undead.

Wes, the unique types of undead would fall under the "Special" heading. Also, it is my hope that we can list ALL products a particular undead is found in as opposed of the "1st found in..." criteria we followed before in the previous 2 parts of the series.

Thu Dec 09, 2004 1:30 pm  

Added from OD

-Maag

Basic Info needed from OD

-Saint Ferrante (I don't know of the Bastion of Faith, plz help)

Added from Wes

-Chantel

-Klathun

Needed from Wes

-Skeltar

-Zombire

Thu Dec 09, 2004 2:02 pm  

from various Dungeon Magazines that I have (I only used Greyhawk specific adventures in compiling this list)...

Artillis Segrintine, the ghost of a cleric of Tharizdun, in the greyhawk specific “The Cradle of Madness” Dungeon Magazine #87, the adventure takes place in the cairn hills

Adelros Melremen, The ghost of a paladin, in the greyhawk specific “Quadripartite” Dungeon Magazine #99, the adventure takes place in the Gran March

Kel Virond, a lich (cleric of Nerull), in the greyhawk specific “Quadripartite” Dungeon Magazine #99, the adventure takes place in the Gran March

Syrgual Tammeraut, the Ghost of a sea captain, in the greyhawk specific “Tammeraut’s Fate” Dungeon Magazine #106, He dwells in the dragons maw (an underwater rift in Relmor Bay)
    Adept Greytalker

Thu Dec 09, 2004 2:06 pm  

I will get back to you with the Skeltar and Zombire info.
    Adept Greytalker

Thu Dec 09, 2004 3:01 pm  

Skeltar, intelligent skeleton wizard level 2, found in the ruins on Bone Hill near Restenford (L1 The Secret of Bone Hill), and later in the Caves of Chaos (Return to the Keep on the Borderlands) in addition to having all of the special abilities of a skeleton and a 2nd level wizard, in her second appearance Skeltar could animate dead skeletons by touch 1/week.

Zombire, intelligent zombie wizard level 3, found in the ruins on Bone Hill near Restenford (L1 The Secret of Bone Hill), and later in the Caves of Chaos (Return to the Keep on the Borderlands) in addition to having all of the special abilities of a zombie (but none of the slowness) and a 3rd level wizard, in his second appearance Zombire could animate dead zombies by touch 1/week.

Alair Daraan, a haunt bound to the magic dagger bladestar in the adventure “Bladestar” in WGR2 Treasures of Greyhawk, the adventure takes place in the city of greyhawk

Lady Karyne of Marteen, a crypt thing, who’s foul husband lord Gregor Eichyer bound her as the guardian of her own tomb in the adventure “The Shroud of Karyne” in WGR2 Treasures of Greyhawk, the adventure takes place in the cairn hills.
    Adept Greytalker

Fri Dec 10, 2004 3:26 am  

I have a question: Where does the info on Acerereak being a wizard/cleric come from?

Also about St Ferrante:
    He`s a 20th level fallen paladin of Heironeous death knight hidden in stasis in in a secret sub-reliquary under the bastion. [p41 Bastion of Faith. ]
    His status as fallen and undead is unknown , and only hinted at in the secret doctrine that is known and understood those very few of the bastion who read the original book of penitence.
    Though he´s revered as saint by the church of Heironeous he's in truth now the antiprophet of heironeous, his goal is to destroy all H.-worshippers and thus the deity's power base. He can sense Heirouneous worshippers within a 10 mile radius and owns a greatsword +4 of sharpness and platemail+4

The Bastion is suggested to be placed in either city of greyhawk, furyondy, the shield lands or nyrond. (spire of chendl, shield reclaimed in critwall, or garden quarte of CoG)

And definately check out the Baur adventure Kingdom of ghouls in dungeo 70. It introduces the greater ghouls and has a few personalities in it.
    CF Admin

Fri Dec 10, 2004 8:34 am  

Updated to this point.

Quote:
    I have a question: Where does the info on Acerereak being a wizard/cleric come from?

I believe I ran across that in the original S1. I'm thinking it was in the prologue and stated something like "the lich, a former cleric-magic-user..blah blah," without mentioning the name "Acererak" in the same paragraph.

Note that I was searching through the pdf for "lich" and not "Acererak" when I found the reference.

Sun Dec 12, 2004 6:07 am  

Thanks Aby.
    I`ll have to reread my S1 then.

Shouldn`t at least the classes if not the classes an levels for the undead be included? With dragons and giants this was not an issue but these are NPCs.

One more addition:
    Prince Ferrannan has butler named Shadwell who is a vampire and an illusionist.
    ivid wrote:

Ferrenan's black frock-coated butler/manservant, Shadwell,
    is himself a vampire and, since he has the skills of
    an 11th-level illusionist. Shadwell is almost as dangerous
    as his master. He presides over a domestic staff largely
    composed of ju-ju zombies and has an especially fastthinking
    line in droll and macabre wordplay.

There`s more undead in wgr7. not sure if named ones though.

PS: Do you guys know about the pdf version of wgr 7 that`s available
    on the acaeum(scroll down) It`s gorgeous. Complete with the WGR layout, GH logo, embedded maps and back cover. All that`s missing is the graphics sidebars, a nice cover and the module code wgr7.

Perhaps Canonfire should host it too?

Last edited by Thanael on Sun Dec 12, 2004 10:29 am; edited 4 times in total
    Adept Greytalker

Sun Dec 12, 2004 7:07 am  

For Khuul you should link to the article that`s here on canonfire:
    http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=519

Also what about Kyuss? There`s several articles about him here.
    Chatdemon has him as the first revenant.
    Of course he´s officially a herodeity now. (LGJ #1: the Bone Master, Herogod of Creation andn Mastery of Undead)

Last edited by Thanael on Sun Dec 12, 2004 10:34 am; edited 1 time in total
    Adept Greytalker

Sun Dec 12, 2004 10:17 am  

Dungeon 70: Kingdom of the Ghouls, or the White Kingdom
    under the Crystalmist and Hellfurnace mountains

Marquess Murliss, Lady of Worms, true ghoul, General of the Wormeaters, the Great Army of the Ghouls

Cirosean , undead beholder , lives in the Ghostwood in the Underdark, wields the Heart of Angrimm, a drow forged black dagger of disaster.
    was made undead by Andeve a drow sorceress of 400 years ago, almost mindless.

Andeve , drow banshee, former queen of the drow city angrimm (an ex- dwarven city) she was slain by ghouls 50 years ago while hunting cloakers. since then has been condemned to stay in the Ghostwood, the site of her death. hates her confinement and the ghouls.

Marquis Yosef von Linden, Lord of Ashes (true ghoul) Ketite, nerull worshipper. command s29 true ghouls in the Ashen Outpost.

Res Hundeval, vampire & Alena Hundeval vampiric mist
    command some true ghouls in the oupost Blooddrinkers Hall, in some derro ruins

Marquis Zun , Lord of Ice, true ghoul
    commands costal outpost of the white kingdom (at the sunless sea underdark)

the following are from the City of Kilenor aka City of Ghouls, the White Kingdom, underoerth.

Marquis Follgnaw, Lord of shadow, spectre, ex ghoul, lives in the Limehouse

Doresain, King of Ghouls, true ghoul noble, cleric 15, Blackgate Palace.
    attended by two true ghouls noblewomen, Andela and Szifferin. owns the Orb of Shadows, an artifact that creates a portal to the Neg.Enenergy Plane (I believe newer info on him is in WoTC Libris Mortis)

Marquess Maerynae Suel Lich Wizard 17. The Lady of shadows, Queen of the Ghuols, dallied with doresain once. guards and protects the Orb of Shadows, the ghouls link to the Negative Enegry Plane
    Blackgate Palace.

the end.

PS: There must be more Suel Liches in canon and semi canon.
    Do you know if the Suel Lich was updated to 3E somewhere?
    Adept Greytalker

Sun Dec 12, 2004 10:59 am  

What`s the name of the dwarven lich in the Pits of Azak Zil from GH Adventure HC. He was a cleric 16. Was he named in some later source perhaps?
    Adept Greytalker

Sun Dec 12, 2004 11:02 am  
    Re: Izrok Radja

Greyson wrote:
    Wizards of the Coast's Libris Mortis has a drow vampire from Erehei-Cinlu on page 164. Do v.3.5 sources count as places where the list derives it subjects?

Izrok Radja Male drow elf vampire, necromancer 11.

He is a really cool undead creature.

Can you give more details on the other possible GH undead that appear in Libris Mortis? Doresain for one. what god is he worshipping? nerull?

I would say let`s include 3E info. Why shoudln`t we?
    Adept Greytalker

Sun Dec 12, 2004 7:03 pm  

Quote:
    Shouldn`t at least the classes if not the classes an levels for the undead be included? With dragons and giants this was not an issue but these are NPCs.

1e demiliches no longer retained thier levels... they didn't cast spells or anything... just sort of sucked up peoples souls into thier gem teeth and could only be hurt by vorpal swords and the like...
    Adept Greytalker

Mon Dec 13, 2004 5:37 am  

Right.
    But most of the other named undead have some class levels. I.e. vampire necromancer, death knight fighter/blackguard etc...
    CF Admin

Mon Dec 13, 2004 9:23 am  

Looking at the tables, there are very few who do have classes.The ones that did, I had listed their class. Also, most that did have classes, were'nt designated any levels.

Mon Dec 13, 2004 1:02 pm  

if you want to include Greyhawk specific cliff hanger's from the WotC web site I found....

Stannis Moonsdale, A bodak created from a former wizard who was transformed by a demonic magical trap.

Nithis Callal, Lich, a drider sorcerer

The cliff hanger Adventure they are found in is named "Tower of Lore" and it takes place in the Duchy of Urnst.
    Adept Greytalker

Mon Dec 13, 2004 1:19 pm  

Oh, from the CoG adventure cards I also forgot...

Anneka, a Wight, the wife of Viluisk the mighty, a former Wolf Nomad Chieften.

Jetta, a Wight, the mistress of Viluisk the mighty, a former Wolf Nomad Chieften

Viluisk the Mighty, a former chieften of the wolf nomads, he is described as a "skeletal huant" and his stats block makes him a 7th level fighter with the immunities of a skeleton.

the adventure (card 4, "The Dead of the Howling Hills") takes place in the howling hills apropriatly enough.
    Adept Greytalker

Mon Dec 13, 2004 11:46 pm  

oh, and Alair Daraan is a Haunt (1eMM2 page 74, or 2e Monstrous Manual page 186) not a poltergeist (which is a different creature entirly).
    Adept Greytalker

Tue Dec 14, 2004 12:04 am  

Also I would move referecnes to Undead from C1 up to canon sources as the introduction to that module firmly places it in Oerth, if not in the Flanaess... as the following quoted paragraph will reveal.

Quote:
    START: The Hidden Shrine is part of the ancient ruined city of
    Tamoachan, once the northernmost capitol of the Olman
    empire, which covered much of the southern continent centuries
    before current history began. Tamoachan is located in the
    savage lands south of the Olman islands, southeast of the Holds
    of the Sea Princes. The climate is subtropical and very damp; it
    rains nearly every afternoon.
    Adept Greytalker

Tue Dec 14, 2004 2:56 am  

found another one...

Dorl Tavyani, a spectre, is incredibly vain, haunts his own crypt in the barrier peaks. from the adventure "Vanity" (Dungeon #93)
    Adept Greytalker

Tue Dec 14, 2004 7:28 am  

"The Wraith King" Wraith Cleric 5 of death & darkness, discarded son of a minor noble, returned to lzern for reenge,
    owns the Totentanz Gate, an artifact which has the power to convert entire regions of te living into the realm of the dead.
    Location Luzern, Tronewald, borderin the Yatil Mountains and the Vesve (Perrenland?)

from the adventure Totentanz, dance of the dead, in Dungeon 90.
    CF Admin

Wed Dec 15, 2004 8:26 am  

Updated to this point.

Thanael:

I'm a huge fan of Allman's WGR7 lay-out hosted on the Arcaneum. Haven't asked to host it yet.

We're not including 3rd Ed. stats bcuz it is the "general" aim of Canonfire to remain editionless, catering to all Greyhawk fans regardless of edition. Granted, it wouldn't hurt, but older edition fans may feel like they are "wading through garbage."

Also, the listing is meant to be extensive, but not comprehensive.

Wed Dec 15, 2004 8:27 am  

I have received 4 emails with updates as well, that I will add when I return home.

Thu Dec 16, 2004 7:35 am  

Ok, I got an email stating this..

Quote:
    FYI, there is a special undead mentioned in one of the short adventures (Dark Justice?)in one of the books of the City of Greyhawk boxed set, Arkalayne Somebody-or-other, a Shadow Mage.

Anybody have any further info?

also, I just need to know what type of undead this guy is..

Quote:
    Name: Grusyin
    Product: AD&D Coloring Album
    Description: He is creator of the Iron Skeletons of Grusyin, and lover of
    the night-hag Strovolla.

Thu Dec 16, 2004 9:36 am  

Name: Grusyin
    Product: AD&D Coloring Album
    Description: He is creator of the Iron Skeletons of Grusyin, and lover of
    the night-hag Strovolla.[/quote]

With taste like this guy has he definately is undead and whacked to boot.

Maraudar
    Adept Greytalker

Thu Dec 16, 2004 10:13 am  

there is a lich with a night hag lover in the AD&D coloring Album, but IIRC he is not named in the coloring album... he could be this Grusyin you speak of however... how many liches have Night Hag lovers?
    Adept Greytalker

Thu Dec 16, 2004 11:14 am  

The unnamed lich is the hag strovollas lover.
    The iron skeletons of Grusyin are part of the treasure at the end of the dungeon crawl and were "created by a mad wizard of the past".
    They could be the same but it is not stated explicitly

Fri Jul 08, 2005 1:47 am  

cwslyclgh wrote:
    well there are Skeltar and Zombire from both L1 and Return to the Keep on the Borderlands which are named unique undead, but they are not of the types you have listed (They are unique)... also Chantel the unique zombie you have listed first appears in Return to the Keep on the Borderlands (an official, if crappy, greyhawk product). There is also Klathun the Proud, a Morgh from my mini adventure Death at Dawn. (although I notice you don't have a morgh section either... not surprising since they first appear in the 3.0 MM IIRC).
    Mad Archmage of the Oerth Journal

Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:56 am  

Awesome man, we should collaborate on the NPC's on Greyhawk as well. I have many on my page if you'd like to contribute.
    http://www.oerthjournal.com http://www.greyhawkonline.com/duicarthan
    Kobold Pinata

Wed Jul 13, 2005 2:06 am  

Hmph. Inaccurate as always. Why can't you 'sages' keep up?

Just for your information, I have THREE artifacts in my posession.

I did, after all, create the Talisman of Ultimate Evil, after journeying to the Causeway of Fiends and chipping off a piece for the device. A feat none of my peers would even dare contemplate, let alone do.

Wusses.
    In more modern times, only Delglath of Rinloru is known to have crafted any items from the stone of this atrocious place. Even masters of the dark arts such as Xaene and Karoolck would hesitate to follow.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> Readers Workshop All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: