ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - The Grey God: With 1 of 4 Now 3
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    The Grey God: With 1 of 4 Now 3
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Dec 15, 2004 6:25 pm  
    The Grey God: With 1 of 4 Now 3

With 1 of 4, there are now 3.

By now, you have seen the first installment of the quadrate map of the Flanaess, which is being published in Dungeon magazine. By now, you recognize it as a spectacular new addition to each and every Greyhawk fan’s library. By now, you own a copy. If you do not, you must then flee into traffic to join assorted and sundry racoons, deer, skunks, cats, dogs, armadillos and opossums in the used bin. The map is that good.

But something else has occurred of which you may be only peripherally aware. Erik Mona has joined Gary Gygax and Carl Sargent as one of only 3 faces on Greyhawk’s Mt. Rushmoor.

Gygax and Sargent are elite company. Each produced a definitive Greyhawk treatment with accompanying poster maps. Erik Mona has fully earned the right to be numbered with Gygax and Sargent.

Eric has produced the Living Greyhawk Gazateer - with help, but it would be foolish (however, politically correct or expedient) to believe that the LGG would have existed without Mr. Mona. He was the prime mover and the essential individual who saw the LGG take shape. Without him, there would have been no Greyhawk 98, nor LGG. I know this for a fact as I was there. In addition, he has continued to expand the World of Greyhawk through the RPGA, Dungeon and soon Dragon, now that it is under his editorship.

What Eric had not done, heretofore, was produce a definitive visual treatment of the Flanaess to accompany his written materials. The quadrate map completes the process.

It is more than a mere footnote that Mr. Mona did not issue his Greyhawk treatment simultaneously with a poster map. It detracts nothing from his accomplishment but rather makes it the more impressive. Gygax and Sargent enjoyed the support of TSR when their Greyhawk treatments were published. Mr. Mona has had to fight, scheme, inveigle, wheedle and work his posterior off to achieve what he has achieved.

That he did not do it all alone, as Gygax and Sargent did, again speaks to his formidable skills and an ability to work with people to get the job done. Gygax and Sargent were gifted individuals; Erik is both individually gifted but also an able field general in a way neither Sargent nor Gygax were called upon to be.

There are 3, and only 3, Grand Masters of Greyhawk, to wit - Gary Gygax, Carl Sargent and Eric Mona. All hail, Erik Mona!

If you know me or know of me, then you are doubtless aware that it is not my custom to be lavish with praise, the cutting reverse being much more my signature. Certainly, Mr. Mona and I have crossed swords on more than one occasion. Nor do I universally believe that his vision of Greyhawk, in large or small measure, is correct or best. I owe him nothing, except that his able handling of the Greyhawk ship of state now makes it unnecessary for me to make more than occasional public appearances, leaving me time to attend to other matters. In this case, however, there is every cause for lavish praise.

Doubtless, the envious, jealous and green-eyed will find cause to take exception but they are quickly revealed for what they are. Likewise, the sycophantic and self-serving may be upset that they did not first have the opportunity to laud and laurel the object of their obsession, but that too will be patently obvious.

Of course, Mr. Mona’s tenure as the toast of Nellix Town is not over. No final judgment on the merits of what he produces is possible for he continues to labor in Greyhawk’s vineyard. I do not enshrine what he has done, then; that is a different matter (although I am not displeased, in the main). Rather, I enshrine that it is done by his hand, whatever individuals may say on any particular. Credit where credit is due.

With one section of the four part map, where there were two Greyhawk greats, there now stand three. Greyhawk has seen its share of great contributors, professionals and fans, but Greyhawk knows but three who may be said to stand astride the setting like colossi. Gygax, Sargent and, now, Mona. Let there be no mistaking this.

It is my privilege to have labored on behalf of Greyhawk with Mr. Mona for over a decade now, even if we do not always see eye-to-eye and even if he has not always been aware that I was on the other oar. I look forward to our continued association. The praise, however, is not mine; it is his. The achievement is his. This day, I joyfully take my hat off to Erik Mona and bow low. If any of you have any perception and good grace, you will similarly comport yourselves.

You may then return to carping at Erik as to why he hasn’t published the definitive guide to Ull, how he can possibly believe that Rary has discovered (and attached) the Hand of Vecna and why he hasn’t responded to your article submission concerning your fabulous 39th level dwarven barbarian/wizard were-turtle. Tell Erik about your character or adventures, or post a question to him; he can’t get enough of it. Wink

NightScreed Happy

Postscript deleted by Forumfire

Wed Dec 15, 2004 6:33 pm  

Um, Mr. Mona... I don't like him and I think he stinks.

...................................Omote
    FPQ

Wed Dec 15, 2004 6:36 pm  

...just kidding. Wink

..............................................Omote
    FPQ

Wed Dec 15, 2004 8:33 pm  

The first night I had my map, I stayed up all night imbibing many a pint of celebratory spirits and looking at it until I passed out. In the early pre-dawn hours, I was awoken by a shining light coming from my open refrigerator. Standing next to the milk was a miniature Erik Mona, his head surrounded by the corona of the refrigerator light. He spoke to me in tongues, and though I had never heard or seen it written, I knew that he spoke the Four Tongues of Greyhawk. Though he was merely the size of bobble-head Jesus hood ornament, his voice was booming. He said to me

"THERE ARE STILL THREE MORE ISSUES FOR YOU TO BUY. GO FORTH AND PURCHASE THEM AT THE APPOINTED TIME. IN FACT, WHY DON'T YOU BUY AN EXTRA COPY OF EACH, JUST IN CASE. SHARE THIS MESSAGE WITH OTHERS, SO THAT THE LIGHT OF GREYHAWK WILL SHINE FORTH EVEN MORE BRIGHTLY IN THE DARKNESS!"

I then passed out again, overcome by the experience.

I truly believe this to be a miracle, and will be formally drafting the necessary papers that will begin the process of beatification.

And I will be buying TWO copies of each issue, just in case.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Dec 16, 2004 10:08 am  

Very telling when someone feels they have to repost their opinions on different websites...
    Master Greytalker

Thu Dec 16, 2004 10:49 am  
    I agree

I agree. Thanks Eric. Don't know you, but I appreciate your work.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: