ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - ENWorld poll about best campaign maps
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    ENWorld poll about best campaign maps
    CF Admin

Sat Dec 25, 2004 8:26 pm  
    ENWorld poll about best campaign maps

http://www.enworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=111364

GH is being sorely under-represented in the polls. While I recall the 1e FR maps being nice they certainly weren't anywhere near the quality of the Darlene maps for GH: were other FR maps published that beat out Darlene's efforts (much less the new Dungeon maps)???

Sun Dec 26, 2004 11:06 am  

Sadly the gaming community is so loyal to their setting "polls" become about supporting the setting and not answering the question. Confused

So once again the quality of GH gets bulldozed by the mass marketing appeal of FR, what else is new? Wink
    CF Admin

Mon Dec 27, 2004 1:13 pm  
    Dragon Maps

Forgotten Realms enjoyed a huge, four-part poster map too. But they got FR fans got theirs early last year in Dragon. I actually got one part of the huge FR map when I bought an early issue of Dragon. So, I guess that would qualify as the FR v.3.x monster sized map.

Happy gaming.

Tue Dec 28, 2004 8:08 am  

I voted for the new GH map in that poll, however yes GH is getting steamrolled over by other, including the FR maps from a few years ago. To be honest, I personally think that the FR 4-part map from a while ago stinks! I think the scale is off on it, and I can't stand how they depict mountains, hills, and other terrain features. The FR map is unique for it's style, I'll give them that. But for my money, the NEW or even the old Darlene map is tops in my book. The new GH map is how a map should look IMO.

.................................Omote
    FPQ

Tue Dec 28, 2004 9:49 am  

Form follows function and Less is More.
    Not all maps are made for the same purpose. A Darlene map uses a hex coordinate system for its location keys and intentionally uses imprecise terrain features without defined political borderlines. I liken its inaccuracies to real old world maps that were never perfectly surveyed. Other GH maps do have the bordelines and a few have no hexes. You can also find GH maps that just detail alignment or regional products. Ultra detailed maps like Anondson's are beautiful but they won't always be practical for your campaign. Sometimes all you need for a visual aid is a small cardstock map to demonstrate how to get from A to B. It just depends on your needs.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Tue Dec 28, 2004 10:55 am  

mortellan wrote:
    Not all maps are made for the same purpose. A Darlene map uses a hex coordinate system for its location keys and intentionally uses imprecise terrain features without defined political borderlines. I liken its inaccuracies to real old world maps that were never perfectly surveyed. Other GH maps do have the bordelines and a few have no hexes. You can also find GH maps that just detail alignment or regional products. Ultra detailed maps like Anondson's are beautiful but they won't always be practical for your campaign. Sometimes all you need for a visual aid is a small cardstock map to demonstrate how to get from A to B. It just depends on your needs.

I think setting maps of the poster variety serve a single but critical purpose - they inspire you to visualize and want to play in the setting.

For this reason, no matter how much individual elements in the Forgotten Realms setting appeal to me, I cannot be happy playing there because the maps are, not just uninspiring, but downright ugly. The 1e FR maps were the worst but the 2e maps that are now substantially the same in 3e are not a whole lot better.

Same for Eberron. It uses a mock-FR style that is just butt-ugly. The fact that the Eberron hardback had no poster map and that the Dungeon map of Eberron was utterly lacking in detail, only made matters worse. Someone at Wotc does not get the importance of a good looking map.

The new Greyhawk map is a nice riff on Darlene's map. It is far and away better than either the FR of Eberron maps. I will want to see the entire thing assembled before I say it is beautiful and inspiring art but the 1st Quadrant is a good start. The Land of Black Ice is a very nice example of how it could have been bland (and black) but was nicely done up.

GVD

Tue Dec 28, 2004 4:20 pm  

mortellan wrote:

How true, since I love both the Darlene map and the new GH map, I have decided to do the following: I am taking the Darlene map from the WOG Folio and cutting it up along the fold lines. The cut out sections of the Darlene world map form the basis for "players maps" of particular regions. Since the Darlene map is sometime vague, and not very detailed (in the manner the new GH map is) it is perfect for players!

The new GH map from Dungeon will be the DMs map. I will use that map to plot, and visualize!

YEAH!

......................................Omote
    FPQ

Wed Dec 29, 2004 9:52 am  

The new maps are the best they've done to date, really good stuff.

Unfortunately, in their reluctance to leave out LG info, they've left Ekbir, Tusmit, Zeif, Ket, and Perrenland devoid of any information. This sems to include information that was put in the official LG Gazeteer on Zeif. It's a real wasted opportunity to expand information on these regions.

Hmmm - but does anyone think there is any mileage in them producing packs of little town, village, and dungeon stickers to go on these maps, so that we can add missing entries ourselves and then laminate the damn things for posterity.

I think I might investigate what clear stickers are available in my local stationers - that might well be the best way around this dilemma!
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: