JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Possible Origins Of The term Despotrix
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Possible Origins Of The term Despotrix
    Adept Greytalker

Sat May 20, 2017 10:42 pm  
    Possible Origins Of The term Despotrix

The Gyanarchy of Hardby has been on my mind for bit. I am going set my first 5e game there in 576 CY for my wife and maybe a few friends.

One of the things that has been tugging on my brain since I first saw the title Despotrix in the WoG Folio way back in the early 80s. When I was younger I really didn’t make sense of it, it really didn’t exist as an actual noble title. Or, so I thought. So here are some ideas I have had colacing around it…

In modern terms despot has a negative connotation. To a modern sensibility, it is someone that wields absolute power and usually tyrannically abuses it.

But that is not the only meaning, according to www.merriam-webster.com it is also a noble title from the Byzantine Empire (usually for a prince of the Emperor), also a religious title in the Eastern Orthodox Church (a bishop or patriarch), and eventually an Italian hereditary prince or military leader during the Renaissance. It’s origins stretch even further according to Wikipeadia:

“The root despot comes from the Greek word despotes, which means "master" or "one with power." The term has been used to describe many rulers and governments throughout history. It connoted the absolute authority and power exercised by the Pharaohs of Ancient Egypt, signified nobility in Byzantine courts, designated the rulers of Byzantine vassal states, and acted as a title for Byzantine Emperors. In this and other Greek or Greek influenced contexts, the term was used as an honorific rather than as a pejorative.”

So, where does the -trix come from… well Latin. It means:
    “(chiefly in legal terms) forming feminine agent nouns corresponding to masculine nouns ending in -tor (such as executrix corresponding to executor)” Despot + Trix = Despotrix.
    By the way my father who was proud of his Chicago Latin School education would roll over in his grave mashing up Greek and Latin elements.

Ok, old definitions and word play aside, what does this mean in terms of who is ruling Hardby. None of the “canon” references to the rules of Hardby imply a religious title, it seems to be a temporal noble title, it is even included in the 6th rank of the nobility in the back of the original World of Greyhawk Folio as (GRANDEE DESPOTRIX) with the honorific of (Lordly Grace). Grandee is an Italian noble title that has nothing to do with a Despot(rix). I am going to assume there was a comma missing between both titles. The noble ranks in parentheses are from cultures other than the Great Kingdom, Nyrond, and/or Furyondy.

Since the published back story is that the nobility of Hardby is descended from Suloise Sorcerers I think the title of Despotrix is a good fit for a noble title from the dead Suloise Empire. If we use the Byzantine model that a Despot or Despotrix is a prince or princess of the Suloise Emperor then it could be that the original leaders of Hardby were trying to elevate themselves with their title evoking connections to the Emperors’ family (whether this is true or not, I will leave unsaid and let the campaign discover its reality). It could very well be that the title morphed into something less grand

So, for my campaign there will be some mystery to the province of the title Depsotrix but I am going to use the older meaning of the word and not the modern.

Enough thoughts on the Despotrix of Hardby.
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Sat May 20, 2017 11:47 pm  

Based on the Gord books and GH lore, I've always taken the title "despotrix" to just refer to a female rule with absolute authority. Comparatively, I would put it this way:

Queen ---> Despotrix ---> Tyrant

To me, a despotrix is prone to being harsher than a queen, but not so harsh as a tyrant. Of course it is just a title, but I find it convenient to have a title be defining of a character to a great degree.

Mon May 22, 2017 11:40 am  

Cebrion wrote:
    ... I would put it this way:

Queen ---> Despotrix ---> Tyrant

To me, a despotrix is prone to being harsher than a queen, but not so harsh as a tyrant. Of course it is just a title, but I find it convenient to have a title be defining of a character to a great degree.

-Doesn't have to have anything to do with its modern connotation. "Tyrant" originally referred to someone who took power in a military coup, IIRC. It didn't originally mean that he was "tyrannical". That connotation came later.
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Tue May 23, 2017 1:16 am  

I know, but I choose to favor more modern meanings for these terms, as I am not an ancient Greek/Roman. Wink To each his own though. There is no real right or wrong answer regarding this topic, only preference.

Tue May 23, 2017 8:16 am  

Cebrion exactly.

What I wrote was not a binary, ones or zeroes, yes or no type of thing. I was showing that the very title Despotrix could have a meaning beyond what we normally associate with it. In fact, there is a bit of background detail that can ad some depth to the history of the Hardby setting (or even provide an adventure hook if need be).

I am about providing options or interesting tidbits that people can use or not use as their personal want may desire.

I personally love the lore of Greyhawk but I never let it get in the way of a good story or adventure hook that might make my campaign fun.

If what I write about interests you, that is great. If it doesn't, there is a lot on this site that might.
    GreySage

Tue May 23, 2017 3:58 pm  

Since Greek and Latin don't exist on Oerth, the Common title despot is actually a contraction of the ancient Suloise phrase deen-hesmali-pyr-os-tot, meaning the Eyes of the Ruler of Flame, Ocean, and Steel.

Despotrix is actually the possessive form, from the Suloise deen-hesmali-pyr-os-tot-tura-ik-ses, or, roughly, the Eyes of the Ruler of Flame, Ocean, and Steel; their destiny is ours. This was shortened to de'hes'p'o'tot'r'ik's in the Vulgar Suel dialect common on the Sea of Gearnat in the first century CY, and finally d'es'pot'riks, or despotrix as it's spelled today.

Obviously I made that up (based on the Suel glossary in The Scarlet Brotherhood), but I think it's kind of evocative.
    Paladin

Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:37 pm  

rasgon wrote:

Obviously I made that up (based on the Suel glossary in The Scarlet Brotherhood), but I think it's kind of evocative.

LOL Love it.....

Verily I say to thee that the wisdom of the Grey Sage has sprung forth And Pholtus in his divide light has shown us the pearls of his wisdom...
    Summon forth the Dwarven Stonemasons and let that be chiseled into stone so all may know its lasting truth.....
    Razz

And 2 coppers worth... I'm with Big C on the other point too,, tomato toMAto ...

I try to not get too hung up in the exactness from our world into GH... and I am for creating variants for the players to grasp onto as dividing one title or descriptor from another just to distinguish the subtle differences....

IMO, It would be no different that trying to correct a Brit from saying "Flat", when those of us from Texas would think they are either describing the panhandle topography or the bottom of a tire with no air in it.. hehe

Its all agreed perspective....

But Rasgon I do Love the Suel ties!!! consider it cannibalized!
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: