ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Magic Tax
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Magic Tax
    GreySage

Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:01 pm  
    Magic Tax

Greyhawk Colleagues,

I am delving into the realm of taxation for added depth (and realism). As part of my studies, I have perused the 1e DMG and The Castle Guide for ideas. As part of that, I like the idea of adding a magic tax for spell-casters INSTEAD of a tax on magic items as presented in the latter guide.

I see this working in one of two ways:

1) A flat base tax for spell-casters (both clerics and wizards) levied against them irrespective of level and proficiency. Thusly, an apprentice wizard is charged the same as a higher level caster.

2) There is a variable tax that is based on magical ability (level).

Ideas and suggestions?

If you like the idea of a flat tax, please offer a reasonable amount (I am leaning towards 10 gp annually). If you prefer the variable rate, please likewise offer an amount (thinking 5 gp/level per year myself).

If it helps, our games tend to revolve in the following regions of the Flanaess:

a) Veluna
    b) Celene and surrounding lands
    c) Greyhawk City and its environs
    d) Wild Coast

As a sidenote, I would think that priests in Veluna would only pay half the normal amount required by mages since it is based on a religious government, and clerics have to tithe to their respective institutions. Celene may operate in the same way, and as elves highly enjoy magic, maybe their tax rates are less.

appreciatively,

Lanthorn, Magic Tax Collector

Last edited by Lanthorn on Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:54 pm; edited 2 times in total
    Adept Greytalker

Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:13 pm  

I don't have the book handy but I recall a really well-designed magical taxation system, somewhat like you've outlined, being presented in A Magical Medieval Society.
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:46 am  

I would think such a thing as a tax would be covered by guild fees or the gate fee some cities charge. I wouldn't tax clerics at all. Instead, I would say that cities require the various churches to arrange for their clerics to do so many hours of volunteer work/provide services each month (not that most any cleric wouldn't want to proselytize...er... "do community outreach"...in the first place Wink). As to wizards, in Keoland wizards are licensed, so that is the tax they pay. In other places, a portion of *required* guild fees could serve as the tax, but then there is an off-setting pro in that guild membership has its perks. Many places likely wouldn't tax either any more than they would tax a member of any other class. Besides, it is is already expensive to be a spell worker (i.e. rare component costs). Seems needless to take any money from certain characters just because of the skill set of their classes. If anything, any tax should be, from an adventurer's point of view, a negligible amount.

Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:10 pm  

I was recently reminded that The Marklands has a whole section about taxation for both Furyondy and Nyrond. VERY helpful.

Any other suggestions and ideas?

Thanks to those two kind folks who posted already. If you can expand on your post, edmundscott, I'd be most appreciative!

-Lanthorn
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:48 pm  

IIRC The City of Greyhawk boxed set, and the Greyhawk City book in From the Ashes dealt with taxes - the Free City's miserly tax inspector, Glodreddi Bukanin(?) was apparently a genius at raising revenue and I'm fairly certain spellcasters were included.
    GreySage

Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:14 pm  

Accessory question: Would spell scroll (and book) costs incur a Luxury tax as well as the ubiquitous Sales tax, too?

Just curious...

-Lanthorn
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:52 am  

Lanthorn wrote:
    ...I am delving into the realm of taxation for added depth (and realism)... As part of that, I like the idea of adding a magic tax for spell-casters INSTEAD of a tax on magic items as presented in the latter guide.

I see this working in one of two ways:

1) A flat base tax for spell-casters (both clerics and wizards) levied against them irrespective of level and proficiency. Thusly, an apprentice wizard is charged the same as a higher level caster.

2) There is a variable tax that is based on magical ability (level)...

If you like the idea of a flat tax, please offer a reasonable amount (I am leaning towards 10 gp annually). If you prefer the variable rate, please likewise offer an amount (thinking 5 gp/level per year myself)...

As a sidenote, I would think that priests in Veluna would only pay half the normal amount required by mages since it is based on a religious government, and clerics have to tithe to their respective institutions. Celene may operate in the same way, and as elves highly enjoy magic, maybe their tax rates are less...

...and...

Cebrion wrote:
    I would think such a thing as a tax would be covered by guild fees or the gate fee some cities charge. I wouldn't tax clerics at all...

...and...

Lanthorn wrote:
    I was recently reminded that The Marklands has a whole section about taxation for both Furyondy and Nyrond...

...and...

Kalindren wrote:
    ...the Free City's miserly tax inspector, Glodreddi Bukanin(?) was apparently a genius at raising revenue and I'm fairly certain spellcasters were included.

...each place would have its own tax rate and style. Some would have a flat tax, some a level tax, some wouldn't tax spellcasters at all. In some places, splellcasters might be subsidized. Some would tax items, others wouldn't. And tax policy can change over time (Marklands touches on this re Nyrond). "But I thought the tax was "x"! "Well, now it's "1.5x". Wink

Off the top of my head, CG Celene probably wouldn't have any specific tax.

I would like to know what you come up with.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: