ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - The Cave Fisher and Brad Pit
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    The Cave Fisher and Brad Pit
    Journeyman Greytalker

Mon Jan 10, 2005 6:32 pm  
    The Cave Fisher and Brad Pit

Hello Everyone,

As the title states, this begins with the Cave Fisher from the old Monster Manual II. Unfortunately, there isn't a Monster Manual II for 3.5v that I've seen, so we shall skip that particular rant Mad But I enjoyed the Cave Fisher artwork in the old Monster Manual II. There were, I believe, three adventurers all dressed different, winding their way down a tunnel. Above them, unbeknownst to the intrepid heroes, lurked the Cave Fisher, waiting to spring on the hapless fellows. I vaguely remember reading a Dragon Magazine article on the beastie before 1st period English (back in the day) Embarassed Smile

Anyway, I often wondered about the nest of a cave fisher and other monsters. I'm sure there would be iron weapons, helmets, shattered shields, bits of armor, gems, jewelry, bones and magic items. There might be some useful bit of information for the players. There might be a nest with eggs, but I mainly think of helmets. Rusty helmets. Rusty helmets that had a conical top, ones that were flat on top, thin skull caps that offered no facial protection, deep, full, keg helms and classical greek helmets that we see Brad Pit wearing in the movie "Troy." Those helmets all belonged to now dead adventurers. Who knows where they came from or what their stories were.

Okay, we might gather some idea of where they were from by the style of Helmet. The lands of Bissel wear a particular helmet, possibly far different from that of the Yeomanry to the south. The helmets in Bissel certainly wouldn't look like the fur lined ones that the Tiger Barbarians wear. Shocked But the point is, many people, from different parts of the continent died a horrible death at the tongue(?) of the cave fisher. That's what makes WoG so enjoyable. That's what gives it it's "grittiness."
    There are people who do things differently. Sometimes, our heroes are simple fighters, good or evil in nature, trying to fend off the Cave Fisher. They might be from Bissel or The Wild Coast or Ratik or Tenh, but they all have helmets from different lands. Whatever drew them together, they all have a common goal, to survive one more fight. And that is what I like about Greyhawk.

Dwarf from Nyrond
    Master Greytalker

Mon Jan 10, 2005 8:50 pm  
    MM 2

I think that there is actually a MM2 and MM3 for 3.5, though I am not sure of the version.
    Adept Greytalker

Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:48 am  

MM2 is for 3.0, although wizards.com has a free update book that you can download that gives you all the changes to make it 3.5 (although admitadly it doesn't have cave fisher in it).

Erik mentioned something about there being a cave fisher encounter some time in the Adventure Path 2 series in Dungeon, So it is likley that we will see a 3.5 version of the critter in what ever issue of Dungeon that occurs in.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Tue Jan 11, 2005 1:22 pm  
    D'oh!

Terrible, just terrible. So many monsters snuffed out. What sillyness is this? Who put WOTC in charge and under what authority?!? Confused

I Miss the Wild Coast
    Dwarf from Nyrond
    Master Greytalker

Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:14 am  
    Helments.

Your comments made me think Dwarf, two thoughts actually, thats a good day for me.

Anyway, what are the standard style helms in each realm of GH. Robert Jordan uses this device to great effect in making his world come to life and I think it woudl serve us well. The Shield designs for the old Folio were interesting, but confusing. Helms are distint in their shape.

We need to create a list of helms, which is prefered by which army. For Gran March, i think that the infantry and the cavalry would have the pill shaped skull caps, while officers and low rank Knights would use the bullett shaped helms.

The second thought is, yes it is terrible. While I like so much of 3.0/3.5, we did loose a lot of monsters, and they were often replaced with such silly creatures.

Any thoughts.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Wed Jan 12, 2005 11:48 am  

I was watching the special features on the Return of the King DVD last night and it had an interesting discussion of the helms of Gondor. Not merely that there is a wing motif, but why and how this has been throughout their history.

It might be most appropriate to distinguish the style of helm based upon technology available and favored style of warfare, which of course will differ amoung the Grewhawk nations, but have other differences in appearance relate to national history.

Usually, only ceremonial helms will have protrusions that might catch weapons, despite there omnipresence in fantasy artwork. Some trade-offs might be appropriate for identification, intemidation, ect., but it is risky. What is the use of horns it they make it easy to knock off the helm.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Wed Jan 12, 2005 12:34 pm  

Hey There,

I like to give my npc's a certain authenticity. NPC's in the Yeomanry might where a leather skull cap or small light helm, because it's darn hot. The folks in Bissel wear the pill style helmet and npc's from the Gran March wear a small helm with a curatin of chainmail covering the back of the neck. Now this is just my campaign but we can see that there is a certain feel for the different peoples. That's why I like Greyhawk, b/c of that "feel." Not everyone wearing a helmet favored in the Gran March is going to be Lawful Good and not everyone wearing a fur-lined spiked helm favored in the Barbarian kingdoms to the north are going to be Chaotic Evil.

The same goes for terrain, language and monsters. Kobolds found in the northwest mountains may not act like Kobolds found in the Joten Mountains. Heck, there may not even be Kobolds in certain places, even though they would be a common type of humanoid. You may find a Cave Fisher in the western part of Orik, but not the southern. The monsters gives Greyhawk just as much favor as anything else *and* that is what WOTC needs to focus on. Quality.

Take the recent Dungeon adventures in Sterich. Now those excellent adventures have a specific feel and are high quality adventures. Imagine how they would feel to you if they were set in the city of "X" in "the land of whatever campaign you play." Kind of vague there isn't it? Takes the fun out of it doesn't it? Give us quality adventures and give us back our monsters! Mr. Mona is doing an excellent job, I don't see why others can't follow his example.

Dungeon 119 map is great!
    Dwarf from Nyrond
    Journeyman Greytalker

Wed Jan 12, 2005 12:35 pm  

Hey There,

I like to give my npc's a certain authenticity. NPC's in the Yeomanry might where a leather skull cap or small light helm, because it's darn hot. The folks in Bissel wear the pill style helmet and npc's from the Gran March wear a small helm with a curatin of chainmail covering the back of the neck. Now this is just my campaign but we can see that there is a certain feel for the different peoples. That's why I like Greyhawk, b/c of that "feel." Not everyone wearing a helmet favored in the Gran March is going to be Lawful Good and not everyone wearing a fur-lined spiked helm favored in the Barbarian kingdoms to the north are going to be Chaotic Evil.

The same goes for terrain, language and monsters. Kobolds found in the northwest mountains may not act like Kobolds found in the Joten Mountains. Heck, there may not even be Kobolds in certain places, even though they would be a common type of humanoid. You may find a Cave Fisher in the western part of Orik, but not the southern. The monsters gives Greyhawk just as much favor as anything else *and* that is what WOTC needs to focus on. Quality.

Take the recent Dungeon adventures in Sterich. Now those excellent adventures have a specific feel and are high quality adventures. Imagine how they would feel to you if they were set in the city of "X" in "the land of whatever campaign you play." Kind of vague there isn't it? Takes the fun out of it doesn't it? Give us quality adventures and give us back our monsters! Mr. Mona is doing an excellent job, I don't see why others can't follow his example.

Dungeon 119 map is great!
    Dwarf from Nyrond
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Jan 14, 2005 1:55 am  

Some thought provoking points.

I think that a number of considerations would have to be taken into account.
    1) Countries taking to raiding would not have a standing army, thus no standard design for armour, although some preferences of design bourne of experience (ie what is practical). It is equally likely that our Tiger Nomads could be found wearing helmets from the lands that they have raided, taking them from the slain (interesting to think of the journey that a decorated helmfrom the Great Kingdom has taken to get to the Chakyik - old heirloom in Shield Lands, booty for Iuz's troops, lost to the Wolf Nomads, captured as a price in a Chakyik raid etc).

2) Most armies of Greyhawk would be formed of militia. Rather than wearing standard armour, which few Kingdoms could afford to produce for all but the smallest standing armies, these troops would come equiped with head gear from a variety of sources and ages (Roman helms were in use for many years after the fall of the Western Empire, as their quality was prized, and they were handed down through generations...) which their families had ammassed.

3) Technology in the field of armour would change in a particular area, and the use of those helmets would spread to surrounding nations, which would happen gradually rather than at a single point. It is likely that the more established military would show a tendancy towards a helmet style, which equally their opponents may be using. In medieval Europe it would have been very difficult to ascertain the country from which an army came, based solely on its headgear. Often the equipment was very similar, thus the need for Heraldic markings.

4) Cultural development and available materials will probably account for the main differences, particularly in a fantasy setting, where 'Suloise' or 'Oeridian' influences can be played upas a more integral part of the development of armour style - eg Baklunish style may favour banded as opposed to chain mail. But this would be the norm mainly in the extremities of the Flanness, where armour is less influenced by surrounding nations.

5) Adventurers through some interesting considerations in. They have large amounts of disposable income, and generally are well travelled. this will tend towards them getting the latest style of helmet (unless you are restricted to a regional area away from the central Flanness) which could end up just about anywhere.

Anyway, just some random thoughts, for what they are worth.

5)
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: