JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Mordenkainen in Descent into Avernus
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Mordenkainen in Descent into Avernus
    Adept Greytalker

Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:04 pm  
    Mordenkainen in Descent into Avernus

I understand the Archmage has another cameo in this adventure. Does anyone have more details of this?
    GreySage

Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:39 am  

Okay so an iron structure called the Tower of Urm jaunts across the multiverse at Mordenkainen's command. He often takes it to Avernus to study the plane's affects on magic. He has a number of yugoloth hirelings, some of which are there to assassinate him for Zariel. Mordenkainen seems aware of this, which is why he uses simulacra to interact with them, keeping his true self deep within the tower. He's bald here, and chaotic neutral. There are no stats—the PCs only interact with a simulacrum anyway. He directs the PCs to another, more helpful mage and his cameo is done. Honestly, they should have used Rary instead.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:10 pm  

It's moments like this that I wish I wasn't such a stickler for "canon." Razz I've been helping my referee out with Ghosts of Saltmarsh — including making a "Player's Guide to Saltmarsh" that included a lot of information from the LIVING GREYHAWK™ Gazetteer… but going no further than c.576 CY (updating [backdating?] the Circle of Eight to that timeframe was a fun challenge).

Honestly my personal head canon was that the Spellplague ravaged Toril to such a degree that it got ripped from its previous place in time/space, so instead of 1370s DR matching with 590s CY, now 1490s DR matches with 570s CY.

(Granted, the group I play with doesn't really care as a whole, and its really only an issue with updating my 3e plane-hopping Suel archmage.)
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: