Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Brigands, Free Companies, mercenary bands of the Flanaess
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Brigands, Free Companies, mercenary bands of the Flanaess
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:07 pm  
    Brigands, Free Companies, mercenary bands of the Flanaess

I figure a significant number of brigands and bandits may actually be out of work mercenaries. They prey on the peasantry and merchants if nobody hires them to fight in the wars of lords and cities.
    Robber knights lead many of these bands.

An adventuring party that routinely accepts commissions is indistinguishable from a mercenary group. 'Adventurer' is a polite term that encompasses sell-swords, dungeon-delvers, monster hunters, and other necessary but dangerous types.

But what about famous mercenaries? Infamous ones? Canonical bands and companies?
    GreySage

Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:17 pm  

The pregens from Mordenkainen's Fantastic Adventure: Mordenkainen, Riggby, Bigby, Yrag. I can imagine them appearing as a rival adventuring party for player characters adventuring in that era, trying to clear out ruins before the PCs can.

The pregens from Isle of the Ape: Agath of Thrunch, Reynardia Yargrove, Franz Torkeep, Rowena of the Silverbrow, Warnes Starcoat, Rakehell Chert.

There's the Fellowship of the Torch, described in City of Greyhawk and From the Ashes: Natassia Aiareni Nightstar, Geren Laraith, Kirilarien Allavesse, Marie Sennefort, Grimmri Fischer.

The pregens from WG10 Child's Play: Karmyn, the Professor, Scotty, Coeur, Yahscha von Nurvie, Atienne, Alan of the Sunset, Wolf.

The pregens from WG11 Puppets: Larissa, Sir James Hardwicke, Rashaman, Kelth, Ignatius.

The pregens from WGS1 Five Shall Be One: Helden Stormfist, Baern Barraeth, Fenestir "Swifthand" Galander, Ingrid Hashandir, Sabrala Starbreaker, Mallon Fer'Asque, Stumred Barduran.

The bandit gang from WGS1: Ingrin Mulsever, Anneka Folksjan, Hanna Blackhand.

The pregens from A1 Slave Pits of the Undercity: Elwita, Ogre, Freda, Karraway, Blodgett, Dread Delgath, Phanstern, Eljayess, Kayen Telva.

The pregens from G1 Steading of the Hill Giant Chief: Gleep Wurp the Eyebiter, Cloyer Bulse the Magsman, Roaky Swerked, Frush O'Suggill, Fonkin Hoddypeak, Flerd Trantle, Redmod Dumple, Faffle Dwe'o-mercraeft, Beek Gwenders of Croodle.

Gord and his friends: Gord, Chert, Gellor, Curley Greenleaf, Deirdre, Oscar, Leda, etc.

The cast of Paul Kidd's novels: Justiciar, Escalla, Cinders, Henry, Enid, Polk.

The cast of the comic strip SnarfQuest: Snarf, Aveeare, Telerie, Prince Raffendorf, Geezel, Willie, Etheah of the Woodland. Not really Greyhawk, but what the hell.

The cast of the comic strip Nodwick: Nodwick, Yeagar, Artax, Piffany.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:04 pm  

Cool.

I'm thinking of adapting the brigands and thugs from Polyhedron #145: The Men of the Fox and the Guild of Blades.
    I just need to decide where to place them.
    Probably wherever fits that is also close to the starting point/center of my next campaign,
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:06 pm  

Oh, and while they aren't mercs, I suppose the Levellers from the Complete Book of Villains count as brigands.

I like those guys too.
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Sun Oct 27, 2019 4:24 am  

The Bronze Band are a mercenary company. Known to work for good guys fighting against the Horned Society, Iuz, and Bandit Kingdom forces. Wrote them up a bit for a protracted campaign, but that never came to fruition.

Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:05 am  

Bronze Band. Sounds fun.

Tang the Horrific worked as a merc for a while, according to Greyhawk Adventures, IIRC.
    Adept Greytalker

Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:07 am  

The Alliance of Defiance took down the ToEE according to TSR's collector cards.

Gnarley Men and The Golden Scimitar in FtA.

The 3e Iconics (Lidda, Jozen, et al) show up everywhere, in the Scourge of Worlds, Dungeon of the Fire Opal/Wedding Bells, TH Lain books, Xbox D&D Heroes, LG flavor text, etc.

Basically every GH novel features an adventuring company.

The LJN toys and heroes have become part of GH through a couple different channels.
    GreySage

Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:29 pm  

If you consider pirates brigands, then The Savage Tide AP from Dungeon Magazine lists several hailing from Scuttlecove including the leader of the Crimson Fleet, Cold Captain Wither.

Pharoh Longspar (The Peacock) and his crew make an appearance in Agnosco Adventum in The Canonfire! Chronicles.

The Citadel of Eight was an adventuring party of yore. Members included Mordy, Bigby, Rigby, Robilar, Serten, and others I am unSerten of. 😋

SirXaris

Last edited by SirXaris on Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:22 am; edited 1 time in total
    Master Greytalker

Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:46 pm  

vestcoat wrote:
    The Alliance of Defiance took down the ToEE according to TSR's collector cards.
    Ooh!! Good one!
    I adore those cards, and the Alliance of Defiance specifically.
    So much so, in fact, I'm writing an article about them for the Winter issue of the Oerth Journal (#31), which has a theme of "Factions"!

Sorry for the enthusiastic interruption for the single group! (and the shameless plug)Razz
    Please continue your normal thread activity.
    Owner and Lead Admin: https://greyhawkonline.com<div>Editor-in-Chief of the Oerth Journal: https://greyhawkonline.com/oerthjournal</div><div>Visit my professional art gallery: https://wkristophnolen.daportfolio.com</div>
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: