Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Historical - Lutomarix the Golden Prince of Voll 538 o.r.
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Historical - Lutomarix the Golden Prince of Voll 538 o.r.
    Encyclopedia Greyhawkaniac

Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:15 am  

The might of the Aerdy claimed not only the surrounding nations but the lives of many of their nobility. Lutomarix and his younger brother Prince Virogalas and sister Princess Sudurix distinct in their golden armor and the golden barding of their mounts ride in a final charge against the forces of the Aerdy. Both Lutomarix and Virogalas were killed in the battle while Sudurix was badly wounded and removed from the stricken field by loyal soldiers.

King Atagnatos and the rest of the royal family committed ritual suicide before the palace could be taken, but Sudurix plagued the Aerdy as a rebel leader till the end of her days.

Lutomarix had been a renowned warrior and true paladin of Heironeous. It is recounted that he slew the red dragon Fume and broke the cabal of Nerullite priests which plagued the land of Voll.
    GreySage

Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:35 pm  
    Re: Historical - Lutomarix the Golden Prince of Voll 538 o.r

JasonZavoda wrote:

That's -107 CY, just three years after the Battle of a Fortnight's Length added Nyrond and Tenh to the Great Kingdom. I feel like that might be too early; Mitrik wasn't founded until a century later, in 9 CY, and Voll didn't become part of the Viceroyalty of Ferrond until circa 100 CY.

Of course, it's fine to ignore canon, but I'm wondering how best to harmonize this with the canon history of Voll.

One possibility is that Lutomarix, Virogalas, and Sudurix were members of a Flan royal house overwhelmed by the Oeridian tribe of Vollar, rather than the Great Kingdom which entered the region two centuries later. This could have happened in -107 CY. In that case, I'd probably make Lutomarix a paladin of Rao rather than Heironeous.

Another possibility is that Lutomarix, Virogalas, and Sudurix lived centuries earlier, and their foes were the humanoid hordes who pursued the Oeridians into the Flanaess during the Great Migrations period. Sam Weiss's "The Early History of the Velverdyva and the Origin of Cuthbert" in Oerth Journal #20 could provide inspiration here.

Still another possibility is that they lived centuries later, when Voll surrendered to the Aerdi circa 100 CY. The Living Greyhawk Gazetteer indicates that Voll surrendered peaceably, but perhaps history chose to forget the actual violence involved. Or maybe Lutomarix, Virogalas, and Sudurix were the royal family of Furyon rather than Voll, as the conquest of Furyon seems unrecounted anywhere.

These are interesting, mythic figures and I think they add a lot of flavor to the history of the region. I like them a lot, and I'd like to use them somehow.
    Encyclopedia Greyhawkaniac

Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:43 pm  
    Re: Historical - Lutomarix the Golden Prince of Voll 538 o.r

rasgon wrote:
    JasonZavoda wrote:

That's -107 CY, just three years after the Battle of a Fortnight's Length added Nyrond and Tenh to the Great Kingdom. I feel like that might be too early; Mitrik wasn't founded until a century later, in 9 CY, and Voll didn't become part of the Viceroyalty of Ferrond until circa 100 CY.

Of course, it's fine to ignore canon, but I'm wondering how best to harmonize this with the canon history of Voll.

One possibility is that Lutomarix, Virogalas, and Sudurix were members of a Flan royal house overwhelmed by the Oeridian tribe of Vollar, rather than the Great Kingdom which entered the region two centuries later. This could have happened in -107 CY. In that case, I'd probably make Lutomarix a paladin of Rao rather than Heironeous.

Another possibility is that Lutomarix, Virogalas, and Sudurix lived centuries earlier, and their foes were the humanoid hordes who pursued the Oeridians into the Flanaess during the Great Migrations period. Sam Weiss's "The Early History of the Velverdyva and the Origin of Cuthbert" in Oerth Journal #20 could provide inspiration here.

Still another possibility is that they lived centuries later, when Voll surrendered to the Aerdi circa 100 CY. The Living Greyhawk Gazetteer indicates that Voll surrendered peaceably, but perhaps history chose to forget the actual violence involved. Or maybe Lutomarix, Virogalas, and Sudurix were the royal family of Furyon rather than Voll, as the conquest of Furyon seems unrecounted anywhere.

These are interesting, mythic figures and I think they add a lot of flavor to the history of the region. I like them a lot, and I'd like to use them somehow.

I took the date from the Folio description as I run a Gygaxian game and mostly don't use the later material in the post-Gygax TSR era. What I missed was the clue about the Overking eventually holding sway over Voll now Veluna. The previous sentence was talking about the subjugation of areas after the battle of fortnights length so I was placing this event after the battle.

So if Voll now accepts the writ of the Overking it would be after 645OR or 1cy

I don't believe there is mention of Voll being peacefully brought into the Great Kingdom in Gygax-Era material.

The folio mentions that the border of the Great Kingdom reaches the City of Greyhawk in 1cy. The Great Kingdom then stays relatively the same size for 3 centuries but in 1,000OR Nyrond is restablished and Veluna had already achieved independence.

So it seems like it would be possible to put the subjugation of Voll sometime around 645OR (using Gygax-era setting information). So I think i Im off by a century or so and will set this in 649OR/4cy

I felt that Lutomarix would be a paladin of Heironeous because he was Oeridian while Rao was a Flan deity (especially at this early date).

I can't see how Voll would be peacefully conquered by the aggressive Aerdy. I could see the conquest of Voll happening anytime between 1cy-55cy but further than that I don't think the folio would say 'three centuries' of little border fluctuation. Thats why I wouldnt go to 100cy for the conquest of Voll as it would cut down the little border fluctuation to 250years and I think the fifty year difference would be noteworthy.

I started my home Greyhawk campaign when the folio came out so Im not inclined to use post-Gygax material except as inspiration. I want my material to jive with a 1983 campaign. I definitely slipped up on that.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: