JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Imprisoned Gods
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Imprisoned Gods
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:44 pm  
    Imprisoned Gods

It seems as if you are a divine power that visits Oerth, you're going to get imprisoned at some point*. I'm thinking that it might be worthwhile to stop considering divine imprisonment as a "big" thing and just something that happens in cycles. It makes it less of a campaign-shattering event and more of a "70 years is just a blink of the eye for these gods."

I guess I am also of the viewpoint that the deities of Oerth are more akin to the Greek gods of mythology; they can be shockingly human and flawed. I think that is less of a view of gods in 2nd edition and forward.

* - Demon Princes too, Fraz-Urb'luu and Graz'zt being the standouts.
    ** - But Archdevils seem to be too wise to answer any of Zagig's sending spells?
    Encyclopedia Greyhawkaniac

Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:03 pm  

Zagig can be pretty persuasive.
    CF Admin

Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:30 am  
    Re: Imprisoned Gods

LarethTheBeautiful wrote:
    It seems as if you are a divine power that visits Oerth, you're going to get imprisoned at some point*.

Hmmmm---an interesting idea: Oerth itself encourages/is more susceptible to imprisoning such figures. I like it! :D

Outside of the various imprisoned gods in Castle Greyhawk, do we have many other imprisoned deity-level figures in Oerth?

Allan.

Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:30 pm  

grodog wrote:
    Outside of the various imprisoned gods in Castle Greyhawk, do we have many other imprisoned deity-level figures in Oerth?

I'm not sure if there is a definitive list, but excluding Zagig's 9 and Fraz, ones that come to mind (not necessarily all on Oerth):

Vatun
    Tharzidun
    Graz'zt (by Iggwilv, possibly multiple times)
    Kerzit
    Iuz (by Vecna)
    Vecna (by the Dark Powers thanks to Tovag Baragu)
    Zuggtmoy (in the ToEE)
    Kyuss

With the exception of Kyuss and maybe Tharzidun (I feel that he seems to have been imprisoned multiple times), these all happened in the last 100-200 years, I think. Zagig adds a bunch more, including Olidammara (temporarily).
    GreySage

Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:50 pm  

grodog wrote:

Okay, here's a brief list of deity-level figures known to Oerth who have been imprisoned:

The Greyhawk Nine (according to some sources, this list may include Iuz, Wastri, Rudd, Zuoken, and others)
    Graz'zt (imprisoned by Iggwilv for a time)
    Fraz-Urb'luu (imprisoned by Zagyg for a time)
    Olidammara (if assumed to be separate from the Nine)
    Tharizdun (WG4, etc.)
    Zuggtmoy (T1-4, etc.)
    Vecna (imprisoned in the Demiplane of Dread from 581-591)
    Elder Elemental God (according to some sources, for example Monster Mythology, page 66)
    Diinkarazan (imprisoned derro deity; Monster Mythology, 65)
    Xazivort (From the Ashes Campaign Book, 91)
    Anthraxus's predecessor, perhaps (Queen of the Spiders, 126)
    Zariel (former ruler of Avernus, imprisoned by her successor Bel—Guide to Hell, etc. Contradicted by 5e's Baldur's Gate: Descent to Avernus, which portrays her as the current ruler of Avernus)
    Levistus (Dragon #223, Guide to Hell, A Paladin in Hell, etc.; imprisoned in ice, but still able to rule Stygia from his prison)
    Baphomet (imprisoned by Orcus in H4 Throne of Bloodstone)
    Lamashtu (demon queen of monstrous births, imprisoned by Pazuzu according to Dragon #329)
    Panzuriel (banished by Deep Sashelas; Monster Mythology, 90)
    Kyuss (imprisoned in the Spire of Long Shadows; Dungeon #130)
    Vatun
    Prisoners of the Wells of Darkness ([i]Fiendish Codex I, page 137: Ansitif, Apep, Areex, Cabiri, Ebulon, Lazbral'thull, Ma Yuan, Shami-Amorae)
    GreySage

Wed Oct 07, 2020 5:28 pm  

rasgon wrote:
    grodog wrote:

Okay, here's a brief list of deity-level figures known to Oerth who have been imprisoned:

Prisoners of the Wells of Darkness ([i]Fiendish Codex I, page 137: Ansitif, Apep, Areex, Cabiri, Ebulon, Lazbral'thull, Ma Yuan, Shami-Amorae)

IIRC, Ahazu, though in control of the Wells of Darkness, actually imprisoned himself within them, so he should be included.

SirXaris
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: