Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:03 pm  
Thifirane and Vhalantru - A Love Story?

While I was re-reading the Shackled City adventure path for my review of the series, I have an issue that I just can't keep out of my head - the apparently weird relationship between the beholder Vhalantru and the noble Lady Thifirane Rhiavadi. Now Vhalantru, through a magical device, is able to pass as a human and it the power behind the government of Cauldron. Thifirane is the well bred, fashionable, wealthy noblewoman who is one of the Cagewrights, a cabal of evil beings intent on opening a gate to Carceri and allowing an army of demodands invade the city. Their relationship seems to go beyond that of mere conspirators.

Towards the end of the adventure path, Vhalantru, through a "rare show of generosity" grants Thifirane a beholder eye graft as "thanks for her service". Now my issue is - why? Beholders, being paranoid and arrogant, would not likely weaken itself for any reason, much less to show thanks to any lesser being for any service rendered. Thifirane, judging from her dress and the contents of her home, seems way too worldly a wizard to sacrifice her looks/humanity for the dubious benefit of an eye in the middle of her head.

I think there is more going on here and posit this theory. Thifirane, in her assistance to the beholder, created the simulacrum suit in order for her beholder ally to work in the city. After about 15 years of using the suit and interacting with humans (Thifirane in particular), Vhalantru has some subtle shifts in his personality, becoming more humanlike in his attitude and psychology.

These changes to not make the beholder any less evil, but at least open up his alien mind to the concept of friendship. For her part, Thifirane is a rich and fashionable aristocrat, but she is convinced of the power of the upcoming demodand invasion, so she is not afraid to let her freak flag fly!

Long story short, something akin to actual love blossoms between the two, and in a ceremony of oddly personal significance ("with this eyestalk, I thee wed") the two have become much closer than any law of nature should allow. It is a classic case of girl meets orb!

So we can potentially add this theory to the body of Greyhawk lore. Maybe not as epic as the Iggwilv-Graz'zt pairing, but still cringe-worthy. Not sure if any of this has any game applicability, but maybe worth some discussion - has anyone who played through Shackled City have any insight on this subject?