JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Homebrew Castle Greyhawk
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Homebrew Castle Greyhawk
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:19 am  
    Homebrew Castle Greyhawk

I'm currently reading WGR1 Greyhawk Ruins. I like some of the ideas of the module, but i honestly prefer creating Castle Greyhawk myself, using the module as an idea mine instead. Has anyone done something similar? How did you do the infamous dungeons in your campaign?
    Encyclopedia Greyhawkaniac

Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:41 am  
    Re: Homebrew Castle Greyhawk

Ralf wrote:
    I'm currently reading WGR1 Greyhawk Ruins. I like some of the ideas of the module, but i honestly prefer creating Castle Greyhawk myself, using the module as an idea mine instead. Has anyone done something similar? How did you do the infamous dungeons in your campaign?

Joe Bloch did Caste of the Mad Archmage which was old-school and good. Ive never done anything with it myself
    GreySage

Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:17 pm  

It's worth looking at grodog's Greyhawk Castle Archive for ideas.
    GreySage

Sat Jul 03, 2021 6:19 am  

The above two mentioned versions of the ruins of castle Greyhawk are very good!

Like you, Ralf, I enjoyed the Greyhawk Ruins module, but for my campaign, it requires more than just the seeming random collection of monsters all cramped into an underground high-rise apartment complex with nowhere to get food and other resources.

So, I altered it a bit to make it more realistic - I expanded on the purpose the monsters have for being there beyond what is offered in the module itself. I also changed the alignment of all of the wizard apprentices to evil, since their masters in the Ring of 5 are all evil. I couldn't see a NG wizard apprenticing himself to an evil master.

I expanded contacts the monsters had within the City of Greyhawk itself and the surrounding lands. I made the elves and dwarves guarding 'their' towers more a couple of bands of ruffians who chanced upon the opportunity to appear legitimate, though they have no official standing with the City of Greyhawk, or any other authority beyond the reach of their sword arms. The dwarven cleric became a worshipper of Abathor, dwarven god of greed. ;)

Finally, Expedition to the Ruins of Greyhawk has additional ideas that may help you add detail/background to your own version of the Greyhawk Ruins.

SirXaris

Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:16 pm  
    Gygax Fan?

If you're a Gygax die-hard, you might also consider adapting his modules to represent levels in Castle Greyhawk.

Gary was originally inspired by a Bodenburg model for the castle part:

https://boardgamegeek.com/image/4034226/siege-bodenburg

B2 has two groups of orcs and it's own castle.

T1 has the moathouse.

The https://odd74.proboards.com/thread/14778/dungeons-castle-greyhawk-1978?page=1&scrollTo=241638 thread discusses using Gygax' published modules to make a Castle Greyhawk.

The EX modules were originally supposed to be CG modules. S4 was originally going to be WG3. Some of that material comes from the Kuntz era Castle because Gary and Dave imported Dave's level into CG.

Core Level 07 - Tsojconth Level...

There are a few Gygax maps floating around the Internet but there's only one key for part of one level that people have been able to guess at.

http://deltasdnd.blogspot.com/2020/01/subterrane-surveys-gygaxs-castle.html

For the Gygax maps floating around, it's not clear if those are from the Castle as of 1973, 1976, or made later after he left TSR. The Official AD&D Coloring Book has pictures that depict Castle Greyhawk, but the map inside for the game is not Castle Greyhawk. The map layout in the coloring book comes from the Holmes Basic sample dungeon floor plan.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: