Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Regional Products of the Flanaess By Nation (Expanded)
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Regional Products of the Flanaess By Nation (Expanded)
    Encyclopedia Greyhawkaniac

Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:37 am  

From the map found in the 1983 World of Greyhawk boxed set (Pg#45 A Guide to the World of Greyhawk) depicting regional products we are given 15 symbols representing major exports of the various nations (2 symbols of which depict unknown products or that no major exports exist).

Cloth - (Almor, Bissel, Celene, Ekbir, Furyondy, Geoff, Gran March, Great Kindom, Medegia, North Province, Nyrond, Ulek Duchy, Urnst County, Yeomanry)

Copper - (Almor, Blackmoor, Geoff, Gran March, Great Kingdom, Ice Barbarians, Idee, Nyrond, Pale, Perrenland, Snow Barbarians, Ulek County, Veluna, Verbobonc, Wolf)

Electrum - (CoG, Iuz, North Province, Pomarj, Sterich, Sunndi, Ulek Duchy, Urnst Duchy)

Food - (Almor, Bissel, Celene, Ekbir, Frost Barbarians, Furyondy, Gran March, Great Kingdom, Idee, Medegia, North Province, Nyrond, Pale, Sea Princes, Shield Lands, South Province, Tenh, Tusmit, Ulek County, Ulek Duchy, Ulek Principality, Urnst County, Urnst Duchy, Veluna, Yeomanry, Zeif, Hepmomaland)

Furs - (Frost Barbarians, Ice Barbarians, Iuz, Ratik, Rovers, Stonefist, Tiger, Wolf)

Gems - (of 4 types) (Bissel I, Blackmoor II, Bone March I and II, Geoff I, Gran March III, Great Kingdom IV, CoG I-IV, Ice Barbarians I, Irongate II and III, Ket I and IV, Nyrond I and II, Onnwal III, Pale IV, Pomarj I and II, Ratik IV, Scarlet Brotherhood I and III and IV, Snow Barbarians I and II, Sterich II and III, Stonefist I, Sunndi II and IV, Tiger I, Ulek County I and II, Ulek Duchy, Ulek Principality II and IV, Ull II, Urnst Duchy Duchy, Verbobonc I-IV, Yeomanry II, Zeif III, Hepmonland ?)

Gold - (Bissel, Frost Barbarians, Furyondy, Geoff, Great Kingdom, CoG, Highfolk Town, Highfolk Valley, Idee, Pomarj, Ratik, Rovers, Scarlet Brotherhood, Sterich, Tusmit, Urnst County, Urnst Duchy, Veluna)

Ivory - (Blackmoor, Stonefist, Hepmonaland)

Lumber - (Hepmonaland)

Platinum - (CoG, Onnwal, Sunndi, Tenh, Urnst Duchy, Hepmonaland)

Silver - (Bandit Kingdoms, Bone March, Celene, Frost Barbarians, Geoff, Great Kingdom, CoG, Ket, Nyrond, Pomarj, South Province, Sterich, Stonefist, Tiger, Tusmit, Ulek County, Ulek Principality, Ull, Urnst Duchy, Veluna, Yeomanry)

Spices - (Lorship of the Isles, Scarlet Brotherhood, Hepmonaland)

Woods, Rare - (Highfolk Valley, Lorship of the Isles, Scarlet Brotherhood)

Most of the distributions seem a bit odd, for instance Hepmonaland alone produces Lumber for export. I propose to expand on the existing list of exports and include variations in type (in a different method than appears to be used for gems) and production level.

Here is an alphabetical listing of the nations and their resources.

Almor - (Food, Cloth, Copper)
    Bandit Kingdoms - (Silver)
    Bissel - (Food, Cloth, Gold, Gems I)
    Blackmoor - (Ivory, Copper, Gems II)
    Bone March - (Silver, Gems I and II)
    Celene - (Food, Cloth, Silver)
    Dyvers - (Shipbuilding Supplies - Not a Listed Export Product)
    Exbir - (Food, Cloth)
    Frost Barbarians - (Food, Fur, Silver, Gold)
    Furyondy - (Food, Cloth, Gold)
    Geoff - (Cloth, Copper, Silver, Gold, Gems I)
    Gran March - (Food, Cloth, Copper, Gems III)
    Great Kingdom - (Food, Cloth, Copper, Silver, Gold, Gems IV)
    Greyhawk, City of [CoG] - (Silver, Electrum, Gold, Platinum, Gems I-IV)
    Highfolk, Town - (Gold)
    Highfolk, Valley - (Gold, Rare Woods)
    Horned Society -
    Ice Barbarians - (Furs, Copper, Gems I)
    Idee - (Food, Copper, Gold)
    Irongate - (Gems II, III)
    Iuz - (Furs, Electrum)
    Keoland - (Food, Cloth, Gold, Gems III)
    Ket - (Silver, Gems I and IV)
    Lordship of the Isles - (Rare Woods, Spices)
    Medegia - (Food, Cloth)
    North Province - (Food, Cloth, Electrum)
    Nyrond - (Food, Cloth, Copper, Silver, Gems I and II)
    Onnwal - (Platinum, Gems III)
    Pale - (Food, Copper, Gems IV)
    Perrenland - (Copper)
    Paynims -
    Pomarj - (Silver, Electrum, Gold, Gems I and II)
    Ratik - (Shipbuilding Supplies - Not Listed as an Exported Resource, Furs, Gold, Gems IV)
    Rel Astra -
    Rovers - (Furs, Gold)
    Scarlet Brotherhood - (Rare Woods, Spices, Gold, Gems I and III and IV)
    Sea Barons -
    Sea Princes - (Food)
    Shield Lands - (Food)
    Snow Barbarians - (Copper, Gems I and II)
    South Province - (Food, Silver)
    Spindrift Isles -
    Sterich - (Silver, Electrum, Gold, Gems II and III)
    Stonefist - (Fur, Ivory, Silver, Gems I)
    Sunndi - (Electrum, Platinum, Gems II and IV)
    Tenh - (Food, Platinum)
    Tiger Nomads - (Fur, Silver, Gems I)
    Tusmit - (Food, Silver, Gold)
    Ulek County - (Food, Copper, Silver, Gems I and II)
    Ulek Duchy - (Food, Cloth, Electrum, Gems I and II)
    Ulek Principality - (Food, Silver, Gems II and IV)
    Ull - (Silver, Gems II)
    Urnst County - (Food, Cloth, Gold)
    Urnst Duchy - (Food, Silver, Electrum, Gold, Platinum, Gems I-IV)
    Valley of the Mage -
    Veluna - (Food, Copper, Silver, Gold)
    Verbobonc - (Copper, Gems I-IV)
    Wild Coast -
    Wolf Nomads - (Fur, Copper)
    Yeomanry - (Food, Cloth, Silver, Gem II)
    Zeif - (Food, Gem III)
    NOTE - Hepmonaland - While not a nation it is listed on the regional production map of exported goods - (Lumber, Food, Spices, Platinum, Gems ?, Ivory)

Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:07 pm  

Regional Products of the Flanaess - Cloth and Fur

Blue = Fur
    Red = Cloth

As can be seen the original resource map shows a strong interconnection between areas exporting fur (almost all the northern realms with the exception of Blackmoor and the Snow Barbarians. The same is reasonably true regarding cloth production and export.

Fur in this case can be guessed at as referring to heavy winter furs rather than the inclusion of pelts, skins or hides.

Cloth production and especially exportation seems much more questionable. It is so widespread that it makes me wonder who is buying the exports?
    CF Admin

Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:15 pm  

Thanks Jason!—-Henry and I spent some time building out the import/export resources for our new Nesser-delta settlement and surrounding trading partners.

Will be happy to compare to your most-recent thinking here :)

Allan.

Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:37 pm  

grodog wrote:
    Thanks Jason!—-Henry and I spent some time building out the import/export resources for our new Nesser-delta settlement and surrounding trading partners.

Will be happy to compare to your most-recent thinking here :)

Allan.

That will be great, Allan. Thanks!

Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:39 pm  

Cloth - (Almor, Bissel, Celene, Ekbir, Furyondy, Geoff, Gran March, Great Kindom, Medegia, North Province, Nyrond, Ulek Duchy, Urnst County, Yeomanry)

These are the listed exporters of cloth but what kind of cloth?

I'd break down cloth types to

Cotton
    Hemp
    Linen
    Silk
    Wool

And then some subdivision, if necessary, such as types of Silk. Also in dealing with Silk and also the question of trade I would add Ket, Verbobonc, Dyvers and Greyhawk to the list of cloth exporters. If these last 4 aren't producers of cloth they are hubs of trade and will export cloth.

Keep in mind from the information provided is for export and doesnt say who is buying and where those merchant trains, wagons and caravans are taking the cloth.

Cotton is produced in warm climates.
    Hemp is primarily used for sailcloth
    Linen is made from Flax which favors cool and damp environments
    Silk is a product of the far west
    Wool requires sheep and only safe and settled lands are going to be able to have large herds of sheep safe from predators.

I plan on basing Ekbir as the main producer and exporter of Silk (and silk sub-products such as Satin, Samite, Velvet and Damask). Ket is then the go between in trade between west and east, shipping out silk and importing linen (with hemp, wool and cotton, being produced both east and west).

Why this matters to a DM? Merchants always provide me with a good amount of material for adventures. Showing which way trade flows and what is traded adds a handing dose of detail to the game and helps generate adventures.
    GreySage

Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:08 am  

JasonZavoda wrote:
    Ket is then the go between in trade between west and east, shipping out silk and importing linen (with hemp, wool and cotton, being produced both east and west).

Where in the Baklunish lands do you think it warm enough to grow cotton?

SirXaris

Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:41 pm  

SirXaris wrote:
    JasonZavoda wrote:
    Ket is then the go between in trade between west and east, shipping out silk and importing linen (with hemp, wool and cotton, being produced both east and west).

SirXaris

Probably west of the Dry Steppes. The lake (Karnoosh in the Gord books) has a strange climate. In the canyons in ravines it is semi-tropical
    GreySage

Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:22 pm  

JasonZavoda wrote:
    SirXaris wrote:
    JasonZavoda wrote:

SirXaris

Probably west of the Dry Steppes. The lake (Karnoosh in the Gord books) has a strange climate. In the canyons in ravines it is semi-tropical

Thank you for clearing that up. I figured somewhere off the map of the Flanaess might work, but wasn't sure of your intent.

SirXaris
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: