JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Larrangin of Bissel
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Larrangin of Bissel
    Journeyman Greytalker

Thu Apr 14, 2022 7:46 pm  
    Larrangin of Bissel

Greetings to all Canonfire enthusiasts and scholars.

Can anyone point me to information on the Margrave? Homebrew welcome.

Bissel, March of: 
    His Lofty Grace, Margrave, Larrangin,
    LG male human Ftr9/Clr2 (Heironeous)

This is all I can find anywhere. My Google-fu has failed me.

Please and thank you.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Apr 15, 2022 5:35 am  

It's not much but here's something. The part that I've seen over and over is the association with the Knights of the Watch.

Quote:
    The March of Bissel is a feudal monarchy owing fealty to Gran March and Veluna. The Knights of the Watch are currently the power behind the throne, under the direction of Gran March. The current ruler is His Lofty Grace, Larrangin, the Margrave of Bissel, chosen from and by the ranking member of the Knights of the Watch in Bissel.

(source: https://greyhawk-26.obsidianportal.com/wikis/bissel)

Edit:
    Leaning into the "fanciful titles" of the Knights of the Watch, I found a reference to Larrangin as "Lumbering Polar Bear Margrave Watcher Larrangin of Bissel", which is a fun touch.
    (source: https://gyruff.obsidianportal.com/adventure-log/the-wedding-of-tallia-neholin-and-mazer-raxxam)
    Master Greytalker

Fri Apr 15, 2022 2:31 pm  

From BIS4-03 Face of the Enemy:
    Quote:
    To those that have never seen him, the Margrave Larrangin is a heroic figure with dark, cropped hair, a square jaw, and broad shoulders. He wears a longsword at his hip, and is in the finest of clothes. A glittering, bejeweled platinum holy symbol of Heironeous rests on his chest.

From BIS4-07 Legions of Extinction:
    Quote:
    Inside the tent, kneeling in prayer is His Lofty Grace, the Margrave Larrangin: a tall and sturdy fighting man of mixed Oeridian-Suel blood. His dark brown hair comes to a sharp widows peak, and he carries himself with a tangible bearing of nobility and strength, but as he turns towards you, the dark bags underneath his eyes reveal a far more human ruler, one who bears the pain and suffering of those of the March on his shoulders.

There also seem to be some later LG adventures wherein Larrangin’s alignment is reversed by an artifact, and he becomes the Chosen of Hextor and is banished.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Fri Apr 15, 2022 4:29 pm  

Thank you both. You were very helpful.
    Adept Greytalker

Wed Apr 20, 2022 6:37 am  

Here's my obviously very non-canon version of Larrangin. Keep in mind that the version of Bissel he rules over now is the last bit of a nation that was already rotting from the inside long before the Greyhawk Wars. Ket not only mopped the floor with Bissel in its invasion, but many of the Bissellites eagerly converted en masse to the Baklunish faiths, destroying temples and accepting their new rulers. What little of Bissel that didn't become a free city or wasn't seized by Gran March or Ket is now just a few scraps that is almost certainly doomed to be annexed itself.

The March of Bissel, more than any other state, was truly utterly destroyed during the Wars-not only was it conquered militarily like some other states, but the very idea of a Bissellite identity was itself rejected by most of its own people. The Bisselites lost their faith in their institutions, their gods, their leaders, their fellow citizens and especially themselves long ago.

Larrrangin, the new margrave of what remains of Bissel, is a tall, gaunt man who is very resentful of the new status of his nation. He seems to take little faith in anything from the gods to the ability of his own people anymore, ruling simply because the Knights of the Watch had sponsored him for the position. He is a cleric of Hieroneous, though he mainly gives lip service to his god now, wondering where the golden paladin was as foreigners fought over his country like so many vultures.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Fri Apr 22, 2022 12:16 pm  

Cruel SummerLord,

Thanks for that bit of inspiration. I will make use of it very soon.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: