ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Passing Through The Tilva Strait
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Passing Through The Tilva Strait
    Journeyman Greytalker

Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:01 pm  
    Passing Through The Tilva Strait

Hi all,

I'm running a nautical-themed campaign for a party of 3rd level characters. They are based out of Dullstrand and have acquired a ship, but need to get through the Tilva Strait. From what I know, the SB and Lordship of the Isles have a naval blockade set up in the Tilva Strait, and unauthorized ships cannot get through without paying an exorbitant tribute/bribe (more than what this 3rd level party could afford). I also don't think a naval battle is a feasible option for them.

I feel like there's potential here for an intriguing scenario, but need some ideas/inspiration/resources. Maybe a stealth and/or subterfuge mission to get them through...does anyone know if there are any published or fan-made scenarios that would be suitable?

Thanks!
    Journeyman Greytalker

Fri Jul 01, 2022 7:05 am  

How about this? Use the situation to foreshadow a future event or encounter. Here's how -- While attempting to run the blockade or pass thru it using fabricated or stolen documents, the PC ship witnesses another ship trying the same thing but that ship is a higher profile target (The Dread Pirate Roberts and his ship, the Black Pearl). The enemy forces pursue it instead allowing the PCs to move along.

Roberts reappears later as a resource/contact/foil.

This could serve several purposes depending on your needs and still adds life and color beyond the PCs to your campaign. The world still moves while the PCs ponder.
    Adept Greytalker

Fri Jul 01, 2022 5:38 pm  

As far as running a blockade, what the characters will need is information. As far as creating a subterfuge adventure, the most closely guarded resources during the age of sail were a ship's rutter and later charts. The Brotherhood doubtless has detailed charts and rutters of the strait which might allow a ship to slip through the blockade, especially with bad weather or darkness aiding them. Think what Red October was able to do with the maps of the mid-Atlantic Ridge... they could make high-speed transits with just a compass and stopwatch.

For the players, getting their hands on a SB rutter would be an exciting adventure. Since a sea battle is out, robbing a Brotherhood ship in port is a possibility... I just imagine the characters dangling out of the stern cabin. Also a salvage operation for a Brotherhood ship that sunk in a storm or through other causes might be in order... think "Raise the Titanic" or "Diver Down" in the Greyhawk Adventures book.

As far as nautical inspiration, I recommend Patrick Obrien's "Master and Commander" series for the feel of sailing as well as the movie with Russel Crowe. "Give Me a Fast Ship" about the Continental Navy features multiple instances of ships trying to run a blockade, and the tactics they used to avoid capture and hide.

I would point out that sailing ships of this age have remarkably shallow drafts compared to modern vessels, and could sail up many rivers and bays depending on the hydrography. Thus, while trying to run the blockade, the characters could try to hug the Hepmonoland Coast, sailing by night or fog from sheltered inlets and river mouths to the next one, and then camouflage the ship and its masts before dawn and waiting for the next opportunity to dash forward. Again, the rutter would be extremely useful. This is reminiscent of how the Japanese ran resupply barges in the SW Pacific Theater to avoid Allied aircraft.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sat Jul 02, 2022 10:43 am  

Thanks very much for the feedback, Skech and tarelton - some excellent ideas! I think I've come up with a scenario that uses a bit of both of yours.

With the party in Dullstrand prepping for their voyage, they learn that an infamous pirate of the Crimson Fleet was recently captured and being held for execution. This pirate was notorious for his marauding along the coast and being able to somehow bypass the blockades (as it turns out, he had a stolen copy of a SB rutter, but the PCs wont know this yet). The party will need to pull off a jailbreak to kidnap the pirate and barter his freedom for the rutter or his assistance to bypass the blockade.

This can go a few ways, but the pirate (Capt. Loris Harker) will try to negotiate with the party to get his ship back. If the party agrees and they succeed, then they will either have obtained the rutter or agreed to have Harker lead them through the strait safely. I'm partial to the latter option as it opens up for all sorts of treachery and betrayal, plus it allows me to utilize Skech's idea of using the pirate ship as a decoy.

@tarelton: thanks for the references, I will definitely check those out (I've seen Master and Commander many years ago, but I'll rewatch it). I've also looked into Give Me A Fast Ship and it sounds like an excellent read, so I'll make it a priority.

Cheers.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: