The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
Canonfire :: View topic - Giving Iuz his due
Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
Giving Iuz his due
Adept Greytalker

Mon Sep 23, 2024 7:06 pm  
Giving Iuz his due

I was reading the latest issue of Visions of Greyhawk and was struck by the implications of one of the articles. In the article "Soul Husks of the Old One" by Samuel D. Weiss , he describes Iuz's utilization of the remains of his deceased half brothers as the fuel for his apotheosis as perhaps the "only truly brilliant thing he would conceive".

This is great food for thought on a couple of levels:

Iuz is referred to as "The Old One", that may be just in reference to the comparative to a human life span, but what if it implies that there is more depth to Iuz than what is commonly understood? In the article, it is theorized that the mantle of "the Old One" was a title passed on to Iggwilv's various offspring over the centuries.

Once you have read the Soul Husks article in Visions (first off you should download the issue and read it all if you have not already), read this article here on Canonfire regarding the birth and childhood of Iuz:

http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=28

And this article about what is commonly know abut Iuz throughout the years:

http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=358

Putting all these articles together, there is certainly room for synthesizing these various concepts - I prefer to think of Iuz as a case where Iggwilv may have been too clever for her own good, and that she birthed something beyond ever her conceptions. I think too many portrayals of Iuz make him more the junior partner in the schemes of Iggwilv and of other demons, but maybe not giving this demon/cambion/demigod enough credit.

I will think on this some more, and may have more to add as I think out how these concepts play out. Meanwhile, check out these various ideas and see how it makes you think on Old Iuz.

O-D
Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Sep 24, 2024 7:40 am  

In my campaign, Iuz committed the Unpardonable Sin. The Cambion's days are numbered. He is the ultimate evil in my eyes. Someone who cannot stand to be in any of the three kingdoms. When he dies, his soul will be destroyed.
Master Greytalker

Tue Sep 24, 2024 4:02 pm  

I am glad you like the article.

If you check out my Ancient History, you will see other elements related to "the One One" being a mantle held by several successors over the past two and a half millennia.
   Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: