The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
Canonfire :: View topic - Q: History of Greyhawk
Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
Q: History of Greyhawk
Apprentice Greytalker

Sat Sep 28, 2024 7:31 am  
Q: History of Greyhawk

I've been reading Greyhawk: the Adventure Begins. And I have a few questions.

Q1: The StoneRing, the megalithic stone circle outside of Greyhawk. Do you think it was built in the Stone Age? If it was, who built it? The stone circle may have either been built by elves or the flan.

Q2: My next question has to do with Zagig. Did any alchemist administer Mercury to him? Because the eccentric Lord Mayor went insane later in his life.
GreySage

Sat Sep 28, 2024 6:16 pm  
Re: Q: History of Greyhawk

EltonJ wrote:
Q1: The StoneRing, the megalithic stone circle outside of Greyhawk. Do you think it was built in the Stone Age? If it was, who built it? The stone circle may have either been built by elves or the flan.

Possibilities include:

1) Stone Age druids (Elven, Flan, Dwarven, Halfling [with the help of giants?]);
2) The Ur-Flan (this was a blood-sacrifice temple empowering their blood magic);
3)...

Quote:
Q2: My next question has to do with Zagig. Did any alchemist administer Mercury to him? Because the eccentric Lord Mayor went insane later in his life.

I always suspected Zagyg's insanity to be a product of his slow transcendence to divinity. As his intelligence transcended the ken of his mortal peers, they began to perceive him as insane. That may not have been the truth of the matter from the perspective of those with similarly high Intelligence and knowledge of magic and the outer planes.

SirXaris

Wed Oct 02, 2024 2:36 pm  

I have to agree with Xaris on this since it has been the given reason in my games (as well as several others') that his 'madness' was in fact the perception of those around him with less than godlike genius.
Apprentice Greytalker

Sun Oct 06, 2024 4:20 am  

It wasn't Zagig's slow apotheosis to divinity that made him mad, it was his accelerated growth that did it. Had he gone through the usual path to godhood (i.e. quasi-deity to hero deity to demigod), then he would have been eccentric, but not mad.
GreySage

Sun Oct 06, 2024 7:17 pm  

LarethTheBeautiful wrote:
It wasn't Zagig's slow apotheosis to divinity that made him mad, it was his accelerated growth that did it. Had he gone through the usual path to godhood (i.e. quasi-deity to hero deity to demigod), then he would have been eccentric, but not mad.

I humbly accept the correction, and agree. Smile

SirXaris
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: