Greyhawk Wiki
Canonfire :: View topic - Greyhawk Eras
Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
Greyhawk Eras
Master Greytalker

Sun Oct 13, 2024 11:28 am  
Greyhawk Eras

“WHAT’S THIS ABOUT GREYHAWK ERAS?”

Like most games and setting, there have been several editions of the Greyhawk setting book. Each has added additional detail to the background of the setting, and two have advanced the starting year in the campaign. In addition, there has been a boxed set expansion of the original setting, a boxed set for the city of Greyhawk itself, a starting date update that was not a full setting sourcebook, and a history summary from a supporting product for the second version of the setting sourcebook. While this may seem confusing at first it is all rather simple to explain, and the following will outline these products and give a general overview of the expansions and changes.

The Folio and the Boxed Set

The first product for the setting was “The World of Greyhawk Fantasy World Setting” published in 1980 known as the “Folio”. It is a 32 page book, with a double sheet map known as the “Darlene Map” for the artist, both in a simple cardboard folio cover with the coats of arms of the Flanaess nations on the cover. While it provided basic information for all of the countries and geographic features, it was quite small.

In 1983 a boxed set was released, known as the “Gold Box” for the color of the covers and box. It included the same map, but it now had two books, one of 80 pages and another of 48 pages. The information from the Folio was expanded with material on the powers of the setting, a weather generator, campaign specific encounter tables, tables for determining where characters were born and what their native languages were, additional information on the human ethnic groups of the setting and the clothing styles of the humans and demihumans, and five pages of short adventure ideas and the map coordinates of many published modules.

Both of these products have a starting date of 576 CY, which is considered the base for the setting.

From the Ashes

The second box set titled “From the Ashes” was published in 1992. It advanced the setting to the year 584 CY after a major war had swept across most of the Flanaess. Several nations were conquered, and a new kingdom created in an old one. Geoff and Sterich were overrun by giants; Bissel was conquered by Ket; Iuz conquered the Horned Society, the Bandit Kingdoms, and the Duchy of Tenh; and the Hold of the Sea Princes, the Lordship of the Isles, Idee, and Onnwal were taken by the Scarlet Brotherhood, also known as the Kingdom of Shar. In addition, the nations of Almor and Medegia were destroyed by rampaging armies, and Sunndi was temporarily occupied by the South Province of the Great Kingdom, while a portion of Furyondy was occupied by Iuz. The last major change was that a new realm ruled by orcs rose in the Pomarj, which conquered parts of the Principality of Ulek and the Wild Coast. The setting book provided all of the information updating these changes.

A second book in the boxed set detailed the changes in the domain of the city of Greyhawk. This provided updates to the “City of Greyhawk” box set, published in 1989, and set in 582 CY. That set focused on the lands ruled by the city and near it, and did not significantly advance the setting as a whole. Most of the information in it is easily applicable to games starting in 576 CY with little modification.

A wargame called “ Wars” was published in 1991. It contained a history that covered the events of the years 582-587 CY in detail, along with earlier history setting the events that led up to the war. While most of this history was included in From the Ashes, the history section was later made available as a free download on the D&D website.

The Living Greyhawk Gazetteer

Two products were published in 1998 called the “Player’s Guide to Greyhawk” and “The Adventure Begins” (TAB). These were structured as updates to From the Ashes and are not complete setting or city sourcebooks – to use them one needs From the Ashes and the City of Greyhawk. These two advanced the date of the setting to 591 CY.

The “Living Greyhawk Gazetteer” (LGG) is the final version of the setting sourcebook. It was published in 2000 and, as the name suggests, it was published mainly to support the RPGA Living Greyhawk Campaign. Despite that connection, it is a full setting sourcebook. It greatly expands the histories of the realms of the setting, offers additional details on many of the powers of the campaign setting, along with other background information.Two products were published in 1998 called the “Player’s Guide to Greyhawk” and “The Adventure Begins” (TAB). These were structured as updates to From the Ashes and are not complete setting or city sourcebooks – to use them one needs From the Ashes and the City of Greyhawk. These two advanced the date of the setting to 591 CY.

The “Living Greyhawk Gazetteer” (LGG) is the final version of the setting sourcebook. It was published in 2000 and, as the name suggests, it was published mainly to support the RPGA Living Greyhawk Campaign. Despite that connection, it is a full setting sourcebook. It greatly expands the histories of the realms of the setting, offers additional details on many of the powers of the campaign setting, along with other background information. The most notable change to the setting is the dissolution of the Great Kingdom and the creation of its two successors, the Great Kingdom of Northern Aerdy and the United Kingdom of Ahlissa. Additional changes occur in Bissel, Idee, Onnwal, the Shield Lands, Sterich, and Tenh. Another major change is that it increased the populations of all of the countries by a significant degree.

What Does All This Mean

Each of the successive setting books and boxed sets contains more information and detail on the setting, and the larger ones advanced the date. While this information is not essential to play, it is all quite useful and many people appreciate the additional detail. However, the changing starting date leads to much contention and a certain bit of confusion, especially for new players, compounded by arguments over which is the “best” or “most true” to the original setting. While I certainly have my preference, the truth is much simpler.

Simply, aside from the additional detail, the starting date really does not matter. Any of the books can be used to run the setting in any starting year you would like. Further, most of the old adventure can be run in any starting year you would like. The additional detail in later books can certainly be helpful for new players, though it is not so essential that it should overwhelm or intimidate a new player in the setting by how much there is. Most of us old timers started with the Folio (or the Gold Box), and most of us expanded our games as new information became available. That is how the material should be looked at – it is 15 years of ready-made campaign events and background that you can incorporate into your game if you want. If you do not, the later setting books have more detail and development for the realms – if you want it. Again, if you do not, you are not required to use it.

So What’s the Big Deal?

Unfortunately, there are two things gamers like to do: tell you about their characters, and complain.
The first is a cute stereotype and meme.
The second is an unfortunate drag on the hobby.
The details of the arguments are rather long and tedious; some involving personal attachments to the creator of the setting, Gary Gygax; others involving individual development of the campaign that is at odds with the published development; more involving in criticism of the additional material in general. Most all of those are irrelevant.

No product is perfect - if you are reading this you are a new player and have not developed anything for the setting; and, while Gary Gygax was a great guy (yes, that is my personal bias), one of the first things he said about the setting is that is ours now, to be developed as we see fit. That last is the most important.

Do what you would like with the setting. If that means focusing on the earliest versions of the setting book, great. If it means using the latest version of the setting book, that is great too. And anything, everything in between, and beyond. This is meant as a guide to what is available, not an order to use any particular version. I have my preference, and will happily spend several hours talking about it. I will also happily talk about other versions if you have questions about those. Certainly I will love it if you like what I do, but even more I want to help you enjoy the setting. And who knows, maybe you will develop something that I want to use someday.[/b]
Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Oct 15, 2024 10:34 am  
Re: Greyhawk Eras

Samwise wrote:

Do what you would like with the setting. If that means focusing on the earliest versions of the setting book, great. If it means using the latest version of the setting book, that is great too. And anything, everything in between, and beyond. This is meant as a guide to what is available, not an order to use any particular version. I have my preference, and will happily spend several hours talking about it. I will also happily talk about other versions if you have questions about those. Certainly I will love it if you like what I do, but even more I want to help you enjoy the setting. And who knows, maybe you will develop something that I want to use someday.[/b]

Sorry, Samwise, had to snip a lot because I wanted to focus on this part. Of course we gamers like to talk about our characters and complain. Although you stated this eloquently, I'd still want to focus on something here.

Gary Gygax wanted us to make the setting our own. This is important, he provided us with the backbone, and we get to fill out all the details we like. Publishing helps keep Greyhawk alive, definitely. But the setting was meant to be developed by the fans and for the fans. This is true of all campaign settings produced by TSR/WotC.

I think Greyhawk was the best because Gary had said this. When I got Greyhawk: the Adventure Begins (my first Greyhawk product) I was introduced to a world of living possibilities. Plus the fact that so many designers during the early years had set their campaigns in Greyhawk.

The Player's Guide was also a definite win for me. I prefer to run my Greyhawk game in 591 CY, even though I managed to pick up a pdf copy of the Gold Box from Drivethru (cheeper than buying a physical copy from Ebay).

I believe that Greyhawk still has potential as a campaign setting, and more can be done with it. We can all keep Greyhawk alive, that's for certain.
   Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: